Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True Fantasy MMO with Player Island Design

AlubaczewskiAlubaczewski Member Posts: 23

I've come across this indie dev team that is making an MMORPG that allows you to go in game and add things just like you would a complex editor, but its simple.  I was curious if anyone has seen the video like I have and their thoughts on it. Also, I went on the site and noticed it's in closed beta at the moment with an OPEN beta December 1st. I will post a link to the website and to this video I watched. It shows the character in-game spawning trees and creating quests, all while in the game. It's called Islands of War and I think its looking really good for an indie development.

So my questions are;

What do you guys think about the trailer and the concept of the game?

Specifically if anyone is in the closed beta now and if anyone is going to sign up like I did?

Islands of War MMO trailer (Shows the sandboxy aspects)

Their Website.

I want a game like this to succeed but im curious to know what you guys think. I think there is a great market for games that allow much customization. As far as in an MMO not sure it's been done to this level before. It has the fantasy aspect as most MMO's do but where it shines is in the freedom to create and populate your own island. Be it real players (friends or guildies) or NPCs/Mobs.

I can see players doing the Dungeons and Dragons thing with the world builder being the GM and his friends coming in and playing with him.

I can see guilds making a place for their players to come together and chit chat. Like a Guild city or whatnot.

I guess Im curious to see if I am just a fan boy or if you guys are having the same ideas?

Comments

• kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

If you want to play a fantasy sandbox MMO, buy Minecraft, upload an elf skin, and join a server. Just sayin'.

The answer is 42 you idiot!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by kolsovo

If you want to play a fantasy sandbox MMO, buy Minecraft, upload an elf skin, and join a server. Just sayin'.

And deal with the crap server handling. At least this way it's all unified.

• AlubaczewskiAlubaczewski Member Posts: 23

I dont think of Minecraft as enough of an MMO, Islands of War has classes and races and lore. Something all good MMO's must have in my opinion. At least with the lore i suppose. Minecraft is fun yes but doesnt have the features that this game will have.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by kolsovo

Had you watched the video you will have realized this is much more complex than Minecraft is.

With that said, I can't wait for this to be released and I'll try it then.  Don't much like playing games in beta.

Originally posted by marinrider

Had you watched the video you will have realized this is much more complex than Minecraft is.

With that said, I can't wait for this to be released and I'll try it then.  Don't much like playing games in beta.

I can see the reasoning behind that. Can you see a game like this getting popular? I think it would be just a good of a story as the growth of minecraft to be honest, as the devs of this game a small and are veryy indie.

The tools are coming out soon with the beta, so I will be glad to see what everyone thinks.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

i cant wait to see a game the combines RTS features of city/kingdom building with those of MMORPG's.  let some players control the land, and others make people to live in it.  every body wins.  the trailer spent too much time showing that it allows several landscape creation features. we understand the premise.

what i want to know is whether or not this game allows for meaningful Player interaction with eachother, by meaningful, i mean does it provide reasons to venture off your own island and explore/fight others?