Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Group Dependent and Populated MMO

AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

I'm looking for a game with solid group gameplay. I want to play a support class (heal, buff), but I'm looking for something a little more dynamic than just standing around pressing the Heal button.

Population doesn't have to be massive, but I want to be able to log in and get a PUG if the guildies aren't on.

I'd like for the game to start at level 1. Grinding the first 20-40 levels to get to the group gameplay is bunk.

No anime, please... I'm not a fan (FFXI is about as anime as I can stand). But I don't care too much about graphics/texture resolution/etc, as long as the gameplay is smooth and responsive.

One last thing. There's a few MMOs out there (like DAOC) where healing and support classes have been pretty much replaced by bots and NPCs. I'm not interested in competing with everyone's alt.

Thanks!

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

The only group centered MMO left (IMO) is FFXI. But even that game has made it so soloing is acceptible until level 20 or so.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Sounds like everything you are looking for is in WoW. LOL just sayin.

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

You could play EQ on the Fippy Darkpaw server. Should be some new characters being made soon with the release of Luclin. I imagine there will be several people making new kitties/beastlords.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

DDO offers lots of group-oriented content.  While you might do fine soloing the very early content (like from 1-3, the tutorial), it quickly becomes all about grouping up.  Veterans with loads of gear who have played a long time and know the quests inside out are usually able to solo most of the game, but it takes quite a bit to get to that level of knowledge on all the game mechanics (and to be that rich).

Instead of strictly following D&D mechanics where you can memorize spells and once you cast it, it's gone, you get an amount of spell points that can only be replenished in a dungeon by using a rest shrine or by chugging expensive potions.  This means that it's usually pretty bad to healbot, and you're better off casting some other spells that will directly or indirectly help your group.  For example, the Cleric's Greater Command can stop a pack of weak-willed mobs from tearing up your group.  This makes playing a support role pretty interesting if you want to be the best you can be.

The amount you have to press the heal button also depends on how skilled/geared your groupmates are.  It'll be pretty hard to keep someone's red bar up when they have 0% fortifcation (resistance to critical hits) through the mid levels and on, but many vets bring their own healing items to take the load off you.

While there are hirelings (NPCs), a player is almost always preferred over them.  Hirelings have some pretty terrible AI and they have such a limited amount of spells, so bringing a Cleric/Bard player means lots of spells available to the party.

The game is fairly populated, although not what it once was.  I'm able to find groups easily (even easier if I'm playing a support class).

---

You could also look at Vanguard.  Although the first few levels lack group quests, most of the quests that give decent rewards are group-oriented, and entire areas are devoted to group quests in the game.  The Disciple is a healing class that can heal the group through attacking enemies, but they also get a few standard heals to use in a pinch.  I had lots of fun playing my Disciple since it felt much different than a more standard healing class.  In a similar fashion, the Blood Mage can heal the group through their own damage done (both to enemies and themselves!)  It might take you a bit to get to the group content here - but I was easily grouping up at 15 and on.

Still quite a few players on Vanguard.  Just go to the US server, not the EU server.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

+1 for EverQuest on the Fippy Darkpaw server, just be prepared for the poor exp rate which improves after the first few levels once grouped.

• russ1struss1st Member Posts: 47

DDO is game which perfectly suit your needs:

1) Clerics can solo rather good (providing they have good gear) - prolly best class to solo with.

2) they are quite on demand for groups at mid-high lvls

3) their role in groups can wary from buffheals to DD or boss kating.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Try lineage 2 its going F2P in 30th with a huge update. It is probably the most Clan dependent Game. Am going to be starting it as soon as it launches and TBH it has some really stunning features such as seiges and player driven politics.

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Thanks for the suggestions.

I played EQ for too long to go back... Heh. Same with FFXI.

I'll check out Lineage 2, hopefully it won't be too anime for me.

I may need to revisit Vanguard. Last I tried it was a wasteland... but now that there's new content incoming, maybe it's worth another shot?

I played DDO at release and didn't like the repeating content. I'm sure there's a lot more now, years later, so I'll download it and give it a spin.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Get Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii if you have one. The only way to actually support is to be an archer/ranged class and shoot allies with heals and buffs and use horns and such. This game you HAVE to group. No soloing online.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by deathlylink

Get Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii if you have one. The only way to actually support is to be an archer/ranged class and shoot allies with heals and buffs and use horns and such. This game you HAVE to group. No soloing online.

This. Nothing compares to PSO and Monster Hunter team play.