Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No PvE? no thanks

joosiijoosii Member Posts: 38

Wow, i just finished getting totally psyched up about Lineage II's f2p release, and then I find out that its full-out PVP servers. Is it true? I love to farm and level up gear through hard work, but not in a PvP environment. Is it true that I'll get PKed everywhere i go for simply farming in an area that an OP character has staked their claim to? Is it true that its just another whiney PK community unfriendly to PvE players?

If i dont want PvP, would you say stay away from this game?

Comments

• StevaneStevane Member UncommonPosts: 35

PVE Really? And you chose L2, one of the hardcore PVP games. Absolutely stay away, if you don't like PVP just walk along, you have no business here.

You know I have played this game since launch off and on over the years. And we used to PVE all day long, whether it be in the Catacombs, Ants Nest, TOI or just grinding mobs. And we always had PVP mixed in from time to time. But thats what made it exciting and intense.

I just don't think you can mix PVE and PVP with todays kids.  All the PVE carebears will be crying and asking developers to change the game or protect them.  Thats how Aion died. All the carebears complaining about the rifts.  But to me thats what makes a game intense and not boring.

This is open world PVP people.

I would absolutely say yes, pass on this one. Go back to LOTRO.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by joosii

Wow, i just finished getting totally psyched up about Lineage II's f2p release, and then I find out that its full-out PVP servers. Is it true? I love to farm and level up gear through hard work, but not in a PvP environment. Is it true that I'll get PKed everywhere i go for simply farming in an area that an OP character has staked their claim to? Is it true that its just another whiney PK community unfriendly to PvE players?

If i dont want PvP, would you say stay away from this game?

You can be PKed, yes, but if you get killed without defending yourself then the guy who killed you can be killed by anyone without penalty (for a while). Unless your clan is in a war with another clan it's unprobable that you will be attacked just because.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

man these games are soooo misunderstood

the people that whine that they can get killed anywhere and then bitch about it HAVE NEVER PLAYED this type of game

the community is different people who are powerfull will not care for the little noob killing baby wolves or baby mice. they are more concerned about the BIG THING... you know.... like the imminent invasion by this 200 man alliance that will be passing through here within 15 minutes? 

yes there are idiots who go around PKing, new players, so what, they are the cowards. and will get bored. simply start bugging them, after you place yourself in front ot them to get slaughtered naked again and again, i say 5-7 times they will just walk away and you can keep on your business....

i have played these PVP FFA game since the beginning, and guess what WE ALL START AT LVL 1. WE ALL GOT THROUGH THAT... WE ALL ACCEPTED THAT FACT AND MOVED ON WITH OUR LIVES. and now that we are MUCH STRONGER it is our choice to become that useless coward or help the new guy by accidentally dropping a few ingame currency on the floor so he can purchase something fancy (after he changes underwear from seing me running towards him)

if you cant get through this, then you are not fit for this game.

i am not smart enough to go work at CERN, i dont complain that its to hard, and that the Job prerequisits require only a college degree instead of a PhD in Quantm Physics. 

if you cant handle the FFA PVP, then GTFO into something else, there are plenty of games that fit your care free, entertainment softwares... since you cant really call those games "games", because in "games" there is a winner and a loser... what you play, you cant possibly lose.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

This is pretty much it.

@joosii

This is one of the best games out there but you need to join a clan. you need to find a gruop to run with. or...

You just become self sufficient. This is not like other games. you have a whole world of warring factions, of politics, of people vying for control.

For the most part you will rarely be pk'ed. And if you are keep in mind that the game is not as hard core as when it first started.

losing items and xp on death.

It's a beautiful world and has incredible art design.

Find good people and you will know why so many people are in live with it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • joosiijoosii Member Posts: 38

Wow so much PvE hating... 

I read both of MMORPG.com's reviews on the game and it tells me that there are a lot of PK whiners and trollers in the game. That's why I ask -- to get the scoop from people who are veterans of the game. Gamers come in all different shapes and forms so quit hating. I'm doing my research based on my preference, people. Get with the program.

Thanks for the feedback.  I dunno if i wanna try it. Maybe I'll keep looking a little more. I've never been in a PVP envirnoment...

BTW, I love carebears. They taste great with extra ketchup and hot sauce.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I've played only till level 13 and never had a problem. A long time ago, maybe 3+ years ago I played and was only pvp'd once. I like that is game is pvp, I never found it that bad personally.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Yikes.... I really don't think the hostility toward the OP was necessary.

There's truth in the responses given, regarding how the game is misunderstood and how there is, indeed, PvE to be had - only in a bit more of a "lawless" environment... but there's no need for the "GTFOs" and "Go back to LOTRO" responses.

A simple explanation of what the game is about, and perhaps a few examples to dispel the myths around L2 would have been far more helpful, I think.

Also, considering in other FFA PvP MMOs like Darkfall and Mortal Online, you can and will be ganked relentlessly on far more occasions than you would in L2... I can understand someone not familiar with L2 having that concern.

That said... once upon a time, L2 used to be like that. I'm sure Sovrath can attest to that. Way back in C3 newbies were harassed regularly by higher level gankers/PK'ers.. making it no different from DF and MO.. back then.

However, things have changed and L2 has not been the same game for some time now.

1. You don't know who your potential target is and/or who they know. They could be an alt of a much more powerful character, who is a member of a powerful clan, who who happen to be in a very powerful alliance, who don't take kindly to their characters - or their alts - being harassed. What a would-be PK'er sees as "an easy kill" could easily translate into a big, bright red bulls-eye on their back as they land themself - and possibly their own clan - on a KOS list.  And believe me, there's little an active PvP clan loves more than more KOS or War targets to hunt for.

In short, PK'ing another player can have very serious consequences for the PK'er and/or their clan. So, that possibility tends to give most would-be PK'ers/gankers pause.

And it's not like WoW or other faction-based MMOs where your ganker/griefer can simply flee to the safety of their homelands. No no. There's no such thing in L2. There are no "factions". In L2, outside of cities and major towns, you are an open target.

That's just one example.

2. Because you can't see another player's level, and because of the way armor works in the game, you can never quite tell exactly what level someone is. For example, you can effectively use D-grade armor starting at level 20, and it lasts you up to level 40 when you can get into C-grade armor. 20 levels is alot of new skills, skillups, HP, etc. So, if someone is level 30 and sees someone in D-grade armor, they can't safely assume "oh, they're in D-grade, so they're probably level ~20. That person could well be level 40. Even more (though not as likely these days with how easy it is to get up to A-grade armor), that person could be level 45 and just hasn't gotten their C-grade armor yet. Further still, some people will skip a grade and not bother getting C grade, waiting instead to get into B grade, which comes around level 50. So... again, you never know what level someone is purely by looking at their armor/gear.

The only sure way you can know what their lowest possible level is, is to recognize skills they're using and know what that skill's minimum level is to learn.

3. The Karma system. L2 has a built-in system through which players who attack you have a chance of "going red" or becoming chaotic if you haven't fought back. If your name is still white (you haven't attacked back) when you're killed, your assailant's name goes red and it's officially a "PK". If you do fight back, your name goes purple (along with theirs) and it's then considered legitimate PvP; in which case, there is no penalty for the winner.  Up to a certain number of kills, a PK'er is safe to go red because they can't lose anything (gear-wise) if they die. However, if they have 5+ PKs on them and go red, if someone kills them, they run a high risk of dropping equipment.

At least that's how it's been up 'til now. I know with GoD, NC is changing how that works... but I think the same basic principle is in place. It's intended to discourage pointless ganking of other players by imposing consequenes for it.

There's a variety of other nuances... but basically, in L2, you will not be ganked nearly as much as you might expect. Well.. that's how it's been up 'til now. With it going F2P, I imagine it might attract more gankers/PK'ers who are doing it for the "yuks".  But that, too, will be dealt with by the other players if it gets out of hand (it's happened that way before, back around C3).

Let me put it to you this way... and this is not a lie or an exaggeration. This is the absolute truth.

I have been ganked more times on a PvP server in WoW inside of a week than I've been ganked in about 4 years of playing L2. Why? Because in L2, there are repercussions for ganking someone (as I described above). In your typical faction-based MMO (WoW, WAR, etc) there are none.

I've PvE'd for hours with clan-mates, in duos, parties, etc... and never been bothered. Many times you'll see other players run by and they'll actually cast buffs on you for free. It's actually beneficial to get on people's good side in L2 - especially if you're a "little guy" and don't have a lot of weight to throw around.

Will it happen? Will you be ganked at some point? Of course. There are always players out there who really don't care, or have alternate characters that they consider "perma-reds" used specifically for PK'ing/Ganking. But frankly, it's not going to be a regular occurence to see them around. Not when there are much bigger fish to fry for much greater prizes.

As a final thought to clarify the "no PvE" misconception.... There are clans/alliances that are focused on PvE and don't get into PvP except to help in the random Castle Siege (if they don't fear consequences of being war-tagged for it).

So... If you're considering giving L2 a try, don't let the fear of "repeat ganking", or concerns of "no PvE" put you off. In fact, I believe with GoD, the amount of PvE is going to increase substantially.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

This is pretty much it.

@joosii

This is one of the best games out there but you need to join a clan. you need to find a gruop to run with. or...

You just become self sufficient. This is not like other games. you have a whole world of warring factions, of politics, of people vying for control.

For the most part you will rarely be pk'ed. And if you are keep in mind that the game is not as hard core as when it first started.

losing items and xp on death.

It's a beautiful world and has incredible art design.

Find good people and you will know why so many people are in live with it.

Are you playing again these days, Sov?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Well done response there, WSIMike.  I would've probably had similar misgivings as the OP, but your response is a great intro to 'how things work' there.  Really thorough explanations.  Good job!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52

I am sick of idiots calling people care bears for not wanting to be ganked by someone 30+ levels higher.  I love world PVP, but getting 1 shotted by someone who I couldn't kill even if they AFKd for a minute is no more PVP than killing a rabbit you run past is considered PVE.  You think you are a hard core PVPr but there is no honor or skill in a battle that could be won by a cat running across your keyboard accidently activating a damaging ability.  Sure you could walk into a martial art school and wipe the floor with a group of skilled fighters, that are only six years old.  That doesn't make you tough, just a bully.  

World PVP should be more like the wild west.  Gunslingers killing gunslingers.  Sure they can also shoot an unarmed man, but then they would be hunted down and hung.  PVP good.  Blatent ganking bad.  

You want hardcore, fine, make it hardcore.  You can murder and full loot anyone you want, but when the guards catch and kill you, you stay dead for a week.  You can't be hardcore unless you face consequences yourself.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Well done response there, WSIMike.  I would've probably had similar misgivings as the OP, but your response is a great intro to 'how things work' there.  Really thorough explanations.  Good job!

lol no prob.

L2 really is an amazing game. Does it have its problems? Oh yes. Plenty. All of them well-documented and often discussed.

But the truth is, many people never really "get" L2, or give it the chance to see what it's all about. If someone looks at L2 and thinks "Oh, it's just a typical Korean grindfest"... then they never got to see its true brilliance. It is not all about grinding (of course, unless a player makes it all about grinding). In terms of dynamic player-driven politics, PvP encounters with meaning and consequence ... I've yet to see it matched.

Despite all the things they got wrong with the game, NC absolutely nailed it with the PvP elements of it.

• joosiijoosii Member Posts: 38

I feel like i just got a big hug from MIke.  lols.  thanks, i feel understood now.

I especially appreciate explaining the difference between PvP and PK. PvP I don't mind. PK ganking is what i hate, and is probably what I was alluding to in my original post without realizing it. It's good to hear that the developers have given some thought into punishing the ganking part -- a sign of a company who is paying attention to gameplay and not just about being a money sponge at all costs. (aka Perfect World International)

In fact, my friend had been teaching me to do PvP, having a crazy strong OP blademaster in PWI. I kick his sin-ass all the time, and he laughs that I never go PK-mode and instead cower in fear when i go into PK zones. Maybe a PvP environment is a next natural step. Maybe doing some free-form PvP and even getting ganked a bit will toughen my gamer-skin. haha.

I think i'll just sit on your remarks for a bit, and consider it. We shall see. Nevertheless, thanks <3

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by WSIMike

Yikes.... I really don't think the hostility toward the OP was necessary.

There's truth in the responses given, regarding how the game is misunderstood and how there is, indeed, PvE to be had - only in a bit more of a "lawless" environment... but there's no need for the "GTFOs" and "Go back to LOTRO" responses.

A simple explanation of what the game is about, and perhaps a few examples to dispel the myths around L2 would have been far more helpful, I think.

Also, considering in other FFA PvP MMOs like Darkfall and Mortal Online, you can and will be ganked relentlessly on far more occasions than you would in L2... I can understand someone not familiar with L2 having that concern.

That said... once upon a time, L2 used to be like that. I'm sure Sovrath can attest to that. Way back in C3 newbies were harassed regularly by higher level gankers/PK'ers.. making it no different from DF and MO.. back then.

However, things have changed and L2 has not been the same game for some time now.

1. You don't know who your potential target is and/or who they know. They could be an alt of a much more powerful character, who is a member of a powerful clan, who who happen to be in a very powerful alliance, who don't take kindly to their characters - or their alts - being harassed. What a would-be PK'er sees as "an easy kill" could easily translate into a big, bright red bulls-eye on their back as they land themself - and possibly their own clan - on a KOS list.  And believe me, there's little an active PvP clan loves more than more KOS or War targets to hunt for.

In short, PK'ing another player can have very serious consequences for the PK'er and/or their clan. So, that possibility tends to give most would-be PK'ers/gankers pause.

And it's not like WoW or other faction-based MMOs where your ganker/griefer can simply flee to the safety of their homelands. No no. There's no such thing in L2. There are no "factions". In L2, outside of cities and major towns, you are an open target.

That's just one example.

2. Because you can't see another player's level, and because of the way armor works in the game, you can never quite tell exactly what level someone is. For example, you can effectively use D-grade armor starting at level 20, and it lasts you up to level 40 when you can get into C-grade armor. 20 levels is alot of new skills, skillups, HP, etc. So, if someone is level 30 and sees someone in D-grade armor, they can't safely assume "oh, they're in D-grade, so they're probably level ~20. That person could well be level 40. Even more (though not as likely these days with how easy it is to get up to A-grade armor), that person could be level 45 and just hasn't gotten their C-grade armor yet. Further still, some people will skip a grade and not bother getting C grade, waiting instead to get into B grade, which comes around level 50. So... again, you never know what level someone is purely by looking at their armor/gear.

The only sure way you can know what their lowest possible level is, is to recognize skills they're using and know what that skill's minimum level is to learn.

3. The Karma system. L2 has a built-in system through which players who attack you have a chance of "going red" or becoming chaotic if you haven't fought back. If your name is still white (you haven't attacked back) when you're killed, your assailant's name goes red and it's officially a "PK". If you do fight back, your name goes purple (along with theirs) and it's then considered legitimate PvP; in which case, there is no penalty for the winner.  Up to a certain number of kills, a PK'er is safe to go red because they can't lose anything (gear-wise) if they die. However, if they have 5+ PKs on them and go red, if someone kills them, they run a high risk of dropping equipment.

At least that's how it's been up 'til now. I know with GoD, NC is changing how that works... but I think the same basic principle is in place. It's intended to discourage pointless ganking of other players by imposing consequenes for it.

There's a variety of other nuances... but basically, in L2, you will not be ganked nearly as much as you might expect. Well.. that's how it's been up 'til now. With it going F2P, I imagine it might attract more gankers/PK'ers who are doing it for the "yuks".  But that, too, will be dealt with by the other players if it gets out of hand (it's happened that way before, back around C3).

Let me put it to you this way... and this is not a lie or an exaggeration. This is the absolute truth.

I have been ganked more times on a PvP server in WoW inside of a week than I've been ganked in about 4 years of playing L2. Why? Because in L2, there are repercussions for ganking someone (as I described above). In your typical faction-based MMO (WoW, WAR, etc) there are none.

I've PvE'd for hours with clan-mates, in duos, parties, etc... and never been bothered. Many times you'll see other players run by and they'll actually cast buffs on you for free. It's actually beneficial to get on people's good side in L2 - especially if you're a "little guy" and don't have a lot of weight to throw around.

Will it happen? Will you be ganked at some point? Of course. There are always players out there who really don't care, or have alternate characters that they consider "perma-reds" used specifically for PK'ing/Ganking. But frankly, it's not going to be a regular occurence to see them around. Not when there are much bigger fish to fry for much greater prizes.

As a final thought to clarify the "no PvE" misconception.... There are clans/alliances that are focused on PvE and don't get into PvP except to help in the random Castle Siege (if they don't fear consequences of being war-tagged for it).

So... If you're considering giving L2 a try, don't let the fear of "repeat ganking", or concerns of "no PvE" put you off. In fact, I believe with GoD, the amount of PvE is going to increase substantially.

Really nice post Mike.

I feel like i just got a big hug from MIke.  lols.  thanks, i feel understood now.

I especially appreciate explaining the difference between PvP and PK. PvP I don't mind. PK ganking is what i hate, and is probably what I was alluding to in my original post without realizing it. It's good to hear that the developers have given some thought into punishing the ganking part -- a sign of a company who is paying attention to gameplay and not just about being a money sponge at all costs. (aka Perfect World International)

In fact, my friend had been teaching me to do PvP, having a crazy strong OP blademaster in PWI. I kick his sin-ass all the time, and he laughs that I never go PK-mode and instead cower in fear when i go into PK zones. Maybe a PvP environment is a next natural step. Maybe doing some free-form PvP and even getting ganked a bit will toughen my gamer-skin. haha.

I think i'll just sit on your remarks for a bit, and consider it. We shall see. Nevertheless, thanks <3

No problem lol. 

Lineage 2 gets a lot of flack and while some of it is warranted (lackluster attention to RMT/botting, etc), a lot of it isn't and truly comes from a lack of experience with what the game is really about; and I don't say that dismissively or condescending. On the surface it looks like a boring grinder. Once you get into it, join an active clan and get into the player politics, sieges, fortress battles and so forth, it's an entirely different experience.

Overall, I'm very critical of the game and NC in areas I feel it's deserved (in my own opinion of course). But to be fair, I have to credit it, and NCSoft, where it's deserved as well.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

There are no server types in lineage 2 and end game is all about territory control and sieges. if you don't like it well there are plenty of pve focused mmo's out there. The lineage 2 community is like no other and being anti-social will get you nowhere in this game, you need other people as the game has a deep political system at its core.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Wow so much PvE hating... 

I read both of MMORPG.com's reviews on the game and it tells me that there are a lot of PK whiners and trollers in the game. That's why I ask -- to get the scoop from people who are veterans of the game. Gamers come in all different shapes and forms so quit hating. I'm doing my research based on my preference, people. Get with the program.

Thanks for the feedback.  I dunno if i wanna try it. Maybe I'll keep looking a little more. I've never been in a PVP envirnoment...

BTW, I love carebears. They taste great with extra ketchup and hot sauce.

you'll be doing more pve than pvp at low levels, there is very little pvp before level 50.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

@ the OP, from someone who is not too keen on pvp but likes pvp games such as eve and L2.

the difference between a game like l2 pvp and games like wow on a pvp server, is that you are less likely to be ganked in l2, eve, etc BECAUSE... there are severe consequences that will happen to the attacker.

in other words, without delving into a tl;dr, the very mechanic that makes you think there will be too much pvp for you, actually keeps you safer than you would be on the pvp server of a traditional pve RPG.

I sincerely hope you give it a shot.

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by itchmon

@ the OP, from someone who is not too keen on pvp but likes pvp games such as eve and L2.

the difference between a game like l2 pvp and games like wow on a pvp server, is that you are less likely to be ganked in l2, eve, etc BECAUSE... there are severe consequences that will happen to the attacker.

in other words, without delving into a tl;dr, the very mechanic that makes you think there will be too much pvp for you, actually keeps you safer than you would be on the pvp server of a traditional pve RPG.

itch

Yep! lol you summed it up in about 300 words less than I did in my post. Brevity just isn't one of my strengths, I guess. :-p

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

You have to be effective in PVE to be able to PVP in L2, and PVP doesn't happen on a whim at higher levels. So, PVE is the core of L2 in that way.  There are political reprecussions as it has been pointed out.  A skirmish may lead to an all out war or an alliance breaking up, etc.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

itch

Yep! lol you summed it up in about 300 words less than I did in my post. Brevity just isn't one of my strengths, I guess. :-p

thx WSI, appreciate it from a respected poster :)

you going to be on chronos, or (like me) waiting for a fresh server?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

noob here starting a dwarf on Shilen.  Looking for a clan/group/friends, alliance.  Love everything I have read, love the ffa non gank pvp, love the diplomacy aspect of the game.

I dont know if I can cut it as a dwarf, but I had fun with it this last 10 days, was thinking that or a mage type

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yea, if you don't like PK hen L2 will frustrated you

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I don't know L2 always felt more PvEish to me. Just think about how much grinding you'll do before you hit cap.  You'll have killed enough mobs to populate a small nation.  As people have said the PKing isn't that bad.  It really doesn't happen that often. I created a new character couple weekends ago.  Already 50 and haven't had a single run in with a PKer.  Seems to mostly only happen when you join a clan that gets picked on or likes to pick on others.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ImpulzeImpulze Member Posts: 4

Played L2 on/off several times over the years, but nothing of note. Really excited to give it another chance. And with a new server, I think i will be playing this for awhile. If any clans are recruitng PM tonight on the new server name will be Impulze.

itch

thx WSI, appreciate it from a respected poster :)

you going to be on chronos, or (like me) waiting for a fresh server?

Well my main is on Chronos, level 76 Spectral Dancer... or was it 77... I forget lol.

I might create a new character on a new server just to see how the new player experience is now compared to back when I started my current main (which was back in C3... though I started the game in Prelude... or even Beta, if that counts).