Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Latest Producer Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest producer's letter has been published on the Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone. In it, players are given the usual laundry list of things the dev team is busy working on and the approximate timeline when those changes are due to go into effect.

The letter also announces that the v1.20 patch will be delayed for approximately ten days due to the Dark Moogle Battle (name subject to change) taking too many resources. The team is actively seeking ways to reduce the pull on resources and a more precise date for patch deployment will be announced soon. Players are told, however, that this slight delay will not affect the deployment of patches from v1.21 on forward.

Read the entire letter on the Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Just saw this in my inbox, might resub next year.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

If they can pull all this off ("this" including 2.0) I'll probably give this game a try.

They're pretty much making history by not giving up for so long. It makes me wonder though. If they are willing to go through all of this to keep the game from dying, why did they release it knowing it was unfinished. i know the question has be asked a billion times, but has there been a good answer yet?

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by jinxxed0

If they can pull all this off ("this" including 2.0) I'll probably give this game a try.

They're pretty much making history by not giving up for so long. It makes me wonder though. If they are willing to go through all of this to keep the game from dying, why did they release it knowing it was unfinished. i know the question has be asked a billion times, but has there been a good answer yet?

I think that it isn't so much that they released the game "knowing" it was unfinished.  Much of what is being updated since release has been due to their "missing the mark" for what would work and be accepted by the masses.  It's still short-sighted by them, but my point being that I think they (the dev team and lead at the time) really believed they had the finished product.  I commend them on pushing forward with this game, and I hope they see success in the future but although I seriously gave it a good whirl, I still can't get excited about it anymore.  I would come back if I hear raving about the game again but I doubt that will happen with the big name games on the horizon.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

ALthough the game doesn't deliver what i want,jaded by FFXI's amazing design i guess,i will say Sqaure Enix delivers on content and usually on time.They have been doing this for awhile now keyword >>>"organizing " a whole year ahead of time to shore up the game,but they did this in FFXI as well.

Most other if not all developers are working on an unorganized whim,this is why the yare forever making changes to their games,they have no organized plan.FFXI was the only game i have ever played that did NOT need fixing out of the gate,they eventually made some class tweaks but imo were not needed what so ever.As a matter of fact i have found that player feedback is the whole reason for ruining FFXI and probably why FFXIV was such an oddball design.

You can look at EVERY developer out there and EVERYTHING is a secret,Square has their share as well but they have been telling their player base the last couple of years ,exactly what they are up to.

Although Tanaka got out of the hands on around late 2009/2010 i still beleive they have the people to turn Square  Enix back into good standing.They have licensed the Unreal3 engine so they are putting ego aside on their own engine and getting serious.

It is really too bad the game made some serious mistakes imo,i really wanted to enjoy this game and make it my last mmorpg to retire with.I knew it was going to be a rough go,they used up so many ideas in FFXI,i knew they would run short of ideas for a new game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

If they can pull all this off ("this" including 2.0) I'll probably give this game a try.They're pretty much making history by not giving up for so long. It makes me wonder though. If they are willing to go through all of this to keep the game from dying, why did they release it knowing it was unfinished. i know the question has be asked a billion times, but has there been a good answer yet?
    They could have been misled by the guy they replaced... perhaps he kept assuring them the game would be ready by beta/launch so the company pushed ahead with plans to release after advertising.

In any event, it's not like Square Enix couldn't afford to rebuilt the game practically from the ground up. They've got Blizzard type money, a ton of other games and mmos to fund redevelopment, a loyal Japanese fanbase (Final Fantasy to Japanese is like Star Wars/Star Trek is to Americans), and it was their planned mmo to replace FFXI which is getting old.

Plus, they have the huge Chinese market which has only seen WoW as the only outside major AAA mmo to date. FFXIV would gain many more customers from the Chinese than the Western markets when they open the game there, as they've already negotiated with the Chinese government for rights.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

You know what, I'm glad they are holding up. I hope they hold up strong.

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111

why is the ps3 of this taking for every to come out?

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Soldier101

why is the ps3 of this taking for every to come out?

Heh maybe because you cant make your game over on PS 3 like they can on PC?

I am sure they want a version they, and the fans, are happy with before trying to port it out.

• RodinozRodinoz Member Posts: 4

Just pull the plug and get on with making a game properly.

• carrie01carrie01 Member Posts: 77

The reason they haven't given up on the game is because they need to in order to repair the damage done to the FInal Fantasy brand. After all, I am sure they want to restore the very lucrative fan loyalty that they once had. 

Favorites: Vanguard SOH, Final Fantasy XI, Dungeons and Dragons Online

Future:
    Final Fantasy XIV 2.0
    EverQuest NEXT
    Wizardry Online
    Vanguard F2P edition (fingers crossed)

http://vgrpgblog.blogspot.com/

• jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108

My gut tells me that reboots and relaunches don't work.  They might as well have started a new game with a different name and tried to repurpose however much of the art assets they could get away with and no one notice.  I purchased this "thing" and the early impression I received - its just going to be nigh impossible to convince me they've fixed enough things to make this an altogether different game.  Sorry.  This is a very unforgiving business and I don't think I am unusual in my attitude.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

They'd be better off closing this one down and calling the reboot FFXV, first launch of FFXIV left sour taste in too many peoples mouths.

• djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

I pose the same question I've been posing since this game's failed release.  Who cares?

Originally posted by Rodinoz

Just pull the plug and get on with making a game properly.

They haven't held fan loyalty since Final Fantasy 10.  Their venture into MMOs was the worst mistake they ever made.  How about a good FF for once?  In a decade?

Originally posted by popinjay

If they can pull all this off ("this" including 2.0) I'll probably give this game a try.They're pretty much making history by not giving up for so long. It makes me wonder though. If they are willing to go through all of this to keep the game from dying, why did they release it knowing it was unfinished. i know the question has be asked a billion times, but has there been a good answer yet?

They could have been misled by the guy they replaced... perhaps he kept assuring them the game would be ready by beta/launch so the company pushed ahead with plans to release after advertising.

In any event, it's not like Square Enix couldn't afford to rebuilt the game practically from the ground up. They've got Blizzard type money, a ton of other games and mmos to fund redevelopment, a loyal Japanese fanbase (Final Fantasy to Japanese is like Star Wars/Star Trek is to Americans), and it was their planned mmo to replace FFXI which is getting old.

Plus, they have the huge Chinese market which has only seen WoW as the only outside major AAA mmo to date. FFXIV would gain many more customers from the Chinese than the Western markets when they open the game there, as they've already negotiated with the Chinese government for rights.

What Western Market?  We actually have taste, lol.  None of this re-hashed, feminized "male" character templates with garbage stories, underage girls and talking monsters.  (Sure, FF games look beautiful - but that's about as far as it goes with the Western world.)

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

All I have to say is way to go SE. Shows that they have real comitment to MMO games and are looking for a long-term viable next-gen mmo.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

The roadmap for upcoming changes looks great. I don't know how this game will do long term given how poor the launch went, but you have to respect the fact that SE openly admitted to the faults and is working to fix them.

I wonder if the game still has solo content still with the stated intent to ramp mob difficulty and focus on the battle classes as opposed to gatherers and crafters.

FFXI (when I played it) was light on soloable content that you received xp from.

• XCmanXCman Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Ppl need to realize that what keeps FF MMO's going is the fact that play style IS different!
    Heck, the entire FF series is about innovation and pushing/evolving the genre forward. This has been a mixed gobbie bag of things that worked and failed.

With FFXIV, this still stands true.
    With, cross-platforming on the same server (which is still unique for MMO's), strategic party gameplay with mob weaknesses, weaponskills, magic bursts, weather effects all playing a factor together.
    The are sticking to the motto of making the game accessible to casual/solo players to level up. While right now this still means grinding Leves, but eventually it will be doing story/side quests . They just need to add more content which is coming slowly as they inject new gameplay mechanics to make the game more compelling and interesting.
    Eorzea
  • Jadub2kJadub2k Member Posts: 16

@XCman: Those are some good points, FFXI is the still the only cross-platform MMO out there(PC, PS, xbox playing together on the same servers) and in this after all these years alone is still unique.. though DCUO is PC/PS3, they dont play on the same servers..

Don't count them out yet.. as people have forgotten FFXI was release the same way, it took SE 2 yrs to bring the game over to the states but over time the game got better and better.. I myself still go back and check it out from time to time and have some good fun on it.  Give XIV time and will turn out the same.  I didn't play the game when it released but I've been watching the game develop(articles, youtube videos, etc..), its been interesting to see what SE has been able to do with this game as of late but with 2.0 soon to come and the pending P2P switch being flipped will see who sticks around from everyone who's been playing the game for free for the last... Ummm.. 1 yr and 2 month's as of now(will see who SE's fans are then lol xD) I've been waiting for PS3 version to come around also but most likely wont see it til a few months(2-4) after 2.0.  But as I said give XIV time as people did with XI and it'll turn out fine.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    I'm so excited. I hope they keep it up. I'm rooting for ffxiv. I really badly want it to be.the great mmo I know it can be
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I honestly believe the current development team will pull off what the previous team was unable to. They're gonna make a quality game out of the garbage that was initially released.

Whether or not that matters by the end of 2012 is another question entirely. The games on the market at that time could keep them from a more solid playerbase...

But with a re-release on PC and finally getting it out for PS3, it should be fine. I suppose they wouldn't be continuing if they didn't expect to make a profit in the end.

For now, I'm just gonna keep following it and seeing how it progresses and hope for the best.