Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam question

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I have not used steam much at all but just bought a few games on it.  Is there a way to install the games on a different drive?  When I go to install it does not give me an option to select the path. 

Any help would be greatley apprecaited. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

The only way off the top of my head i can think of is un-install steam and then when you re-install you get to say where it goes.

Since it put the games into the main steam folder.

But here what i found on a search take a look:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129  go there to read or i will paste it as well.

Moving Your Steam Installation

Important:

Please ensure that you have your Steam account name and password before following this procedure. Also ensure that your account is linked to your current email address so that you can reset your password if necessary.

It is not recommended that you install Steam to an external hard drive due to potential performance issues.

Warning:

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. If there is a problem in this process and you do not have a backup of your games or the SteamApps folder, it will be necessary to reinstall the games individually. Please see the Using the Steam Backup Feature topic.

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.

2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:Program FilesSteam by default).

3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe

4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:GamesSteam

5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:GamesSteamSteamApps in this example)

If you encounter any errors during the move process or when Steam is launched from the new location, it may be necessary to perform a more thorough process:

1. Exit the Steam client application.

2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation (continuing the from the last section example, this would be the new location of D:GamesSteam.

3. Move the SteamApps folder from the Steam installation folder to your desktop.

4. Review the Uninstalling Steam topic for instructions to uninstall Steam (this must be done to remove your old Steam installation settings from the Windows Registry).

5. Review the Installing Steam topic for instructions to re-install Steam to the desired location.

6. Move the SteamApps folder into the new Steam installation folder to copy all of your downloaded game content, settings, and saved games to the new location.

7. Start Steam and log in to your existing Steam account to confirm that the move was successful.

8. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play.

Important:

If you are moving your Steam installation to a new hard drive and want to keep game saves/profiles for third party games that are not saved on Steam Cloud most of these can be found in your Documents folder: ~Documents[username]My Games. Moving this folder to the same location on your new hard drive will maintain your saves/profiles.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Not that I can tell.  Just install steam where you want your games to install at.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Wish you could.  I'd like some games installed on my SSD array, and others on my storage drive, but alas, cannot have that.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Wish you could.  I'd like some games installed on my SSD array, and others on my storage drive, but alas, cannot have that.

This is just ridiculous and the reason I have avioded steam and other like products for so long.  I want to put new games on me SSD but have not need to put a 5+ year old game on it and would much rather it taking up other drive space. 

Can't stand the way the gaming industry is going. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

It is possible to have single games on a seperate drive, just a bit more involved. There are tutorials available, depending on your Operating System.  Here is one for Win 7:

http://www.heartlessgamer.com/2009/12/tip-howto-move-steam-games-to-another.html

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by Manticorps

It is possible to have single games on a seperate drive, just a bit more involved. There are tutorials available, depending on your Operating System.  Here is one for Win 7:

http://www.heartlessgamer.com/2009/12/tip-howto-move-steam-games-to-another.html

Great link, thanks.

Would be nice if it was built into steam though ha!