Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play it before you Hate it

sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

I'm going to make a sweeping generalization. By it's nature, it will lump some of you (the minority) in with the rest of us (the majority). It sucks, I know, but I'm feeling like a sheep that just realized that he doesn't have to follow the hundreds of sheep in his herd. It might mean that he'll get eaten by the wolves looking to single out an easy victim, but damnit, it's a he'll of a lot better than going through life spewing other people's thoughts.

Nearly all of us (myself included) have spewed our negative opinions on things we know little or nothing about. In the case I'm about to give, it relates to certain multiplayer games. I suppose we do this in part to support the 'other' game we're playing, or maybe just to get a rise out of our fellow forum visitor who likes the game we're hating on, but whatever the case it happens all of the time.

Since it's release in 2009, I hated on Crimecraft. I read some of the other hater's comments, and basically just copied and pasted their rants into my posts (not on this site but in others that cover the game more closely). I blasted it because of its name, because it was developed by a bunch of "Russians", because it was nothing more than a home for degenerate kiddies, because it was poorly coded and laggy, because of how it used real world advertising in-game, etc. All of this I did without ever playing it.

A few weeks ago I spotted it on Steam and noticed it had gone f2p (which I sarcastically called "free to PAY" in my head as I was downloading it). Long story short, now that I've spent nearly 50 hours playing CC, I feel like an ass. This game is good. It's a lot of fun. Sure it has it's faults, but I'm finding myself excited to login for a few hours a night...both for the PvP and for the PvE (there is a really deep and interesting story told in this game!).

Last night, after seeing that they're offering premium subs for only 5 bucks until Nov 28th, I did the previously unthinkable...I gave Vogster a few of my hard earned dollars. Truth is, I honestly feel like they deserved it and more...that 'more' being an apology from me for constantly and unrelentingly dissing their game which I never actually played.

On Dec 5th they're releasing a new expansion, Gang Wars. I won't bore you with details...if you've gotten this far you can certainly jog over to crimecraft.com to read more about it. What I wanted to share instead, was the way in which they developed the new content, and then communicated the ideas and changes to the community. First class stuff, in my opinion, and something that other game companies could certainly learn from! Here is a link to the dev blog if you're interested in that side of things: http://www.crimecraft.com/team_blog

That's it. From now on I "Play it before I hate it".

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by sekrog

I'm going to make a sweeping generalization. By it's nature, it will lump some of you (the minority) in with the rest of us (the majority). It sucks, I know, but I'm feeling like a sheep that just realized that he doesn't have to follow the hundreds of sheep in his herd. It might mean that he'll get eaten by the wolves looking to single out an easy victim, but damnit, it's a he'll of a lot better than going through life spewing other people's thoughts. Nearly all of us (myself included) have spewed our negative opinions on things we know little or nothing about. In the case I'm about to give, it relates to certain multiplayer games. I suppose we do this in part to support the 'other' game we're playing, or maybe just to get a rise out of our fellow forum visitor who likes the game we're hating on, but whatever the case it happens all of the time. Since it's release in 2009, I hated on Crimecraft. I read some of the other hater's comments, and basically just copied and pasted their rants into my posts (not on this site but in others that cover the game more closely). I blasted it because of its name, because it was developed by a bunch of "Russians", because it was nothing more than a home for degenerate kiddies, because it was poorly coded and laggy, because of how it used real world advertising in-game, etc. All of this I did without ever playing it. A few weeks ago I spotted it on Steam and noticed it had gone f2p (which I sarcastically called "free to PAY" in my head as I was downloading it). Long story short, now that I've spent nearly 50 hours playing CC, I feel like an ass. This game is good. It's a lot of fun. Sure it has it's faults, but I'm finding myself excited to login for a few hours a night...both for the PvP and for the PvE (there is a really deep and interesting story told in this game!). Last night, after seeing that they're offering premium subs for only 5 bucks until Nov 28th, I did the previously unthinkable...I gave Vogster a few of my hard earned dollars. Truth is, I honestly feel like they deserved it and more...that 'more' being an apology from me for constantly and unrelentingly dissing their game which I never actually played. On Dec 5th they're releasing a new expansion, Gang Wars. I won't bore you with details...if you've gotten this far you can certainly jog over to crimecraft.com to read more about it. What I wanted to share instead, was the way in which they developed the new content, and then communicated the ideas and changes to the community. First class stuff, in my opinion, and something that other game companies could certainly learn from! Here is a link to the dev blog if you're interested in that side of things: http://www.crimecraft.com/team_blog That's it. From now on I "Play it before I hate it".

/You have been hit for 30,000 WoT damage! You are bleeding to death from the eyes. You have died.

Now loading...

P.S. I hear ya. I never hate on a game I haven't played. Hence, why I made no comments about a certain adversary I have on these forums saying the combat in Skyrim sucked. I hadn't played it, so I have no right commenting on it. But now I have bought the game and played it... =P.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Aaaargh! Where did all of my paragraphs go? Stupid iPad. Sorry For the WoT...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

OP use < b> and <r   > for paragraphs on mobile I believe

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

I don't hate any game whatsoever. I save my hate for people. Mostly for srious matters. Like THOSE who DON'T use DAMN PARAGRAPHS!!! Hate YOU HATEYOUHATEYOUALL!!!11!1eleventy!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Ummm.... no.

I never played STO, but feel perfectly within my rights to disparage Cryptic for not making it a full featured MMO virtual world.

I've not played Darkfall, but I can say that I dislike FFA full loot MMO's that provide no way for players to control the amount of risk they're willing to take on.

I have played many other MMO's which I wish I hadn't; should have listened to my first instincts and what I read to realize that I was never going to like the title.  (LOTRO, DDO, Rift to name a few), would have saved me some money.

In fact, I don't even have to try Sushi to know I'm never going to like raw fish no matter how they dress it up.  image

But you are right about one thing, most people who "hate" on MMO's do so to get a rise out of their fellow posters and start a discussion on these forums.

Which is what they're really about when you come to think about it, discussing MMO's and all that you know.image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Nope, sorry.

Before I play any MMO, I will carefully examine all its properties.

Playing a MMO simply requires me to do much more than playing anything else, and I dont want to distribute my bank account data more than absolutely necessary.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Kyleran

Ummm.... no.

I never played STO, but feel perfectly within my rights to disparage Cryptic for not making it a full featured MMO virtual world.

I've not played Darkfall, but I can say that I dislike FFA full loot MMO's that provide no way for players to control the amount of risk they're willing to take on.

I have played many other MMO's which I wish I hadn't; should have listened to my first instincts and what I read to realize that I was never going to like the title.  (LOTRO, DDO, Rift to name a few), would have saved me some money.

In fact, I don't even have to try Sushi to know I'm never going to like raw fish no matter how they dress it up.  image

But you are right about one thing, most people who "hate" on MMO's do so to get a rise out of their fellow posters and start a discussion on these forums.

Which is what they're really about when you come to think about it, discussing MMO's and all that you know.image

Thought provoking conversations are one thing.

Then you have MMORPG forums, where tools will start totally false threads to stir shit.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Adamantine

Nope, sorry.

Before I play any MMO, I will carefully examine all its properties.

Playing a MMO simply requires me to do much more than playing anything else, and I dont want to distribute my bank account data more than absolutely necessary.

This.

I first dislike game concepts. And after playing it, I dislike the game itself.

I.e I dislike SWTOR's concept: A multi-million dollar investment in an already seen game. The same way I don't dislike GW2's game concept even though it's not appealing to me at all.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Crimecraft has one of the most fun shooting mechanics in a FPS. It is just fun to play and I honestly don't get why people hate it that much. I would love to play the game again but apparently they deleted all characters that hadn't been active and I don't feel like starting all over again. 

And yes, never base a game off others opinions. I've found some truly amazing games that people told me were really not that great but I gave them a shot when bored. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I tried Crimecraft today, didn't like it, but at least I tried it.  :)

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I don't have to play the games to hate them. In fact every time I have gone against my instincts and bought a game just to see If I could be completely wrong "Batman Arkam Asylum I'm looking at you", I have ended up regretting wasting my money.

It's natural and quite alright to hate something you know you dislike beforehand. It's also quite feasible to dislike something even before you try it. There's always room to be surprised but for people like myself that knows my preferences to a T, I really don't have to

However I don't troll or rant about games on messageboards unless I have actually tried them.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

It will be ok, really, it is great not being a lemming, or a sheep. You may find out your parents had a wolf or 2 in their background as well:)

All BS aside, congrats, welcome to adulthood.

Learning to think before acting or speaking,

admitting mistakes, just being aware that there really are more than one way to think or look at different things and ideas.

Course , this IS the internet so we can not get all deep and meaningfull:) but enjoy the game for what it is, just a game:)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Ummm.... no.

I agree.

I can judge that cutting my pinky finger off isn't something I want to do and therefore don't need to try it to see if I like it.  The OP sounds like a pitchman.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by waynejr2

Ummm.... no.

I agree.

I can judge that cutting my pinky finger off isn't something I want to do and therefore don't need to try it to see if I like it.  The OP sounds like a pitchman.

The subject of the post, and the final summary of the post was simple. "Play it before you Hate it".  Unless cutting off your pinky is a game, I'm having a tough time with your analogy.

On the other hand, I see Kyleran's point, although eating Sushi is not a game either.

Look. I was simply calling myself out for behavior (regarding a game) that was less than honorable or fair, in my opinion. I suppose I would extend that same idea to movies or books, but not phlanges and raw fish.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

CrimeCraft has some of the sloppiest FPS gameplay I've had the misfortune to spend money on.  It's not the worst (I've bought a lot of terrible FPSes over the years) but it's certainly very low on the list.

Maybe some people never experience non-standard FPS gameplay, so anything that's remotely different seems fresh and more enjoyable than it really should be.  Meanwhile my experience with mods like Dystopia and Natural Selection has set my quality bar awfully high for what I expect out of a non-BF non-COD shooter.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

From your lips to gods ears.  I wish people would try something before knocking it.  As far as Crimecraft is concerned, don't know anything about it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• liumlium Member Posts: 138

It seems CC staff is good at one think closing posts or deleting them so this is to answer this topic:

Dear CC staff (server’s admins) you must be totally incompetent!

I work in computer business Network systems, now first off all you attempt to make believe ppl that there is EU realm is open scam that is on the same server as the US one, anyone can see it, that did not improve any thing in the player base your game is still played by 300 to 500 ppl.

Now on the technical part;

If you hired someone to move your data without caring beta testing of the whole procedure before doing so you should be shot in the head and definitely never find job because your are dangerous to be working in any company.

Doing move without testing what will happen before hands and not keeping the db copy is something I cannot event imagine in to days modern world but it tell you how dangerous incompetent ppl can by.

Offering that guy 200gb and 100k is insult to any human bean you should be ashamed of that offer am so ashamed for you that I just closed my own restore character ticket because if I received offer like that to compensate for the time spend to level up character to lvl 50 gather the founds and they gathering all the rare gear if you where phisicly in front of me while offering me 200gb I will literally hit you in the face.

Don't play game in which youre caracters (hard lvling) are erased by incompetant ppl.