Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR NDA dropped, do you believe SWG should return?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

Theres no relevance between the discontinuation of swg and the lifting of the nda of swotor..

Its pretty clear cut, they didnt or couldnt renew their IP licence so the service comes to a stop.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by krea

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by krea

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by wilq

Nope becouse with ending of this year Sony will loose license to Star Wars

This. It was not their decision. They have to shut it down (or change the IP into something else - not going to happen).

Well if the game was doing realy well it wouldnt have be a problem to get license again but with the few subs and being a old aging game doubt they will have enough money to buy it back and still earn something on it.

Lucasarts owns the IP, right? And Lucasarts withdrew their support to SWG.

Ofcours but do you realy think that if the game was succesfull enough pulling in enough of money and staying to starwars vision they couldnt have it renewed?

Imho it is more cause of deal between Lucas and EA / Bioware.  Swtor will start so no use to have 2 mmorpg's at same time especiallt that one was old and in decline anyway.

With SWG go, many of SWG players will go to Swtor at least to check it out, even though they were diffrent type of games.

If SWG would have big population then Swtor propably would not be made :/

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

They should of made this F2P and tried to make money that way, I'd of loved to try it.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Antarious

What should happen is BioWare should purchase the space technology from SOE.   The one thing totally right in SWG at this time is the space game. 

Lol, I don't think it works quite that way. You don't just take something from one game and plug it into another. Different engines, different people working on the systems, etc. I'm not a computer expert but I'm sure it doesn't exactly go that way. Even when other companies copy things like LFG it doesn't go smoothly like when Rift took it from WoW.

Besides, the ship action in ToR isn't designed to be the focus anymore than the crafting is. It's a side activity not the key feature. I don't think anyone bought Star Wars to fly in space and have ship battles. I think they want to be characters living in the story.

• mykpfsumykpfsu Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by popinjay

What should happen is BioWare should purchase the space technology from SOE.   The one thing totally right in SWG at this time is the space game. 

Lol, I don't think it works quite that way. You don't just take something from one game and plug it into another. Different engines, different people working on the systems, etc. I'm not a computer expert but I'm sure it doesn't exactly go that way. Even when other companies copy things like LFG it doesn't go smoothly like when Rift took it from WoW.

Besides, the ship action in ToR isn't designed to be the focus anymore than the crafting is. It's a side activity not the key feature. I don't think anyone bought Star Wars to fly in space and have ship battles. I think they want to be characters living in the story.

And perhaps that is Bioware's problem.  If their space combat was going to be this, why bother using the STAR wars branding at all?  Its akin to hacing Luke blow up the death star with a grenade while being part of the rebellion's SEAL team that sneaks aboard.

Course that would make more sense than a torpedo that can follow an exhaust shaft that starts horizontally but continues vertically.  I mean if their torpedoes were that good, why did they have to fly in the trench in the first place?

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

No. Sony and Lucas Arts came to a mutual agreement to end SWG.

Honor that, and let it go.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by mykpfsu

And perhaps that is Bioware's problem.  If their space combat was going to be this, why bother using the STAR wars branding at all?  Its akin to hacing Luke blow up the death star with a grenade while being part of the rebellion's SEAL team that sneaks aboard.

Course that would make more sense than a torpedo that can follow an exhaust shaft that starts horizontally but continues vertically.  I mean if their torpedoes were that good, why did they have to fly in the trench in the first place?

You realize that SWG didn't launch with any space combat right?  By your argument TOR is much more a Star Wars game at launch than SWG was.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

The space combat is fine for what they said it was going to be. People read first then judge. It was never a main part of the game and is side content, which they said from the start. That said they have already stated that there will be more added to it in the future, ie not just single player, and pvp. Give it time, the game isn t even out, and they re aware of this exact situation, and said they will add to it.

I actually like the space missions as is, I won t complain if more is added to it, but I won t complain if they stay the same, just add more in time.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

You DO realize that you've just disqualified about 75% of the Star Wars games ever made, right?  Including Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, and... SWG at launch?

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

SWG is a superior MMORPG experience, SWTOR is a good story grafted onto a WoW experience.

Personally, I'd be happier if they rolled back to the earlier days of SWG vs SWTOR, but if SWTOR is what we have left for a star wars mmorpg ...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I think the two can co-exist since they have a complete different gameplay system and both play in a different timeframe.

But as said above - Lucas and SONY have agreed on the termination of SWG :(

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Indeed because the majority of the movies also are about Space combat as well!

oh wait

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

I think that train left a long time ago.

If SWG really still would have been successful SOE and LA wouldn't can it.

SWG were in some ways a amazing game but it was also rather buggy and got NGEd to oblivion.

Someone should take all the really good parts from the game instead and turn it into a fun and well coded game. That might happen but you can't turn back time so even if SOE would change their mind SWG would never become more than a small niche game again.

It is sad, they pioneered the best crafting and market system in any MMO but bad code and worse decisions killed the game a long time ago. :(

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86

*didnt read the answers and only the question*

regardless of SWTOR SWG should get back to the release version. if they had done this i guess there were no need to shut down SWG... my opinion... and because they dont do it they should make the SWG release version open source for the free shards...

sorry for my bad english... im tired :P

PS im a SWG fan and a NGE victim :D

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

whats your opinion?

We are just cows to be milked.

We don't get an opinion, or rather the farmer doesn't care if we have one and doesn't speak "bovine" anyway.

There was a time years ago when our opinions mattered. Those days are over.

Just find a MMO you enjoy and let the past go. Hope is over rated.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

And perhaps that is Bioware's problem.  If their space combat was going to be this, why bother using the STAR wars branding at all? 

Because Star Wars isn't all about "space combat" mainly?

In the movies, most of the 'action' or even anything to do with the movies is all about non-ship combat or lore/storytelling. Take all of their movies they've ever made and think about how often you've seen ship battles overall. It's usually just small pockets of fighting that are key to the story.

Same thing with Star Trek. Space combat is rare and used to accentuate the main parts of the plotlines and story (read again: STORY).

Ship combat is only one small aspect of it. Bioware doesn't "have a problem" because most of the people playing it are looking for exactly what they are getting; heavy story and character development.

There are very few people who are buying this game expecting to be playing EvE.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Sorry but i find this topic really silly. Why? even before NDA of SWTOR dropped one thing was certain that SWTOR and SWG have nothign in common other than Star Wars IP. So why should opinions of people change now after NDA drop? it is not some kind of revelation because BW never kept SWTOR's game features a secret.

SWG has its on troubles and reasons to close and has nothing to do with SWTOR.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

And perhaps that is Bioware's problem.  If their space combat was going to be this, why bother using the STAR wars branding at all? 

Because Star Wars isn't all about "space combat" mainly?

In the movies, most of the 'action' or even anything to do with the movies is all about non-ship combat or lore/storytelling. Take all of their movies they've ever made and think about how often you've seen ship battles overall. It's usually just small pockets of fighting that are key to the story.

Same thing with Star Trek. Space combat is rare and used to accentuate the main parts of the plotlines and story (read again: STORY).

Ship combat is only one small aspect of it. Bioware doesn't "have a problem" because most of the people playing it are looking for exactly what they are getting; heavy story and character development.

There are very few people who are buying this game expecting to be playing EvE.

This, even many of the space scenes are focused on teh inside of the ships, which require NO space combat in game to simulate, people need to understand star wars, despite having start in teh name, isnt space focused.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by blutm8

*didnt read the answers and only the question*

regardless of SWTOR SWG should get back to the release version. if they had done this i guess there were no need to shut down SWG... my opinion... and because they dont do it they should make the SWG release version open source for the free shards...

sorry for my bad english... im tired :P

PS im a SWG fan and a NGE victim :D

So they should waste there money making SWG worse than it is right now so it can crash and burn even harder? ya great idea, take it your no financial guru are you?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86

and i just dont know what you are talking about cO

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Supersoups

Sorry but i find this topic really silly. Why? even before NDA of SWTOR dropped one thing was certain that SWTOR and SWG have nothign in common other than Star Wars IP. So why should opinions of people change now after NDA drop? it is not some kind of revelation because BW never kept SWTOR's game features a secret.

SWG has its on troubles and reasons to close and has nothing to do with SWTOR.

This.  Like I've said ,many times if you want to blame someone for SWG closing blame SOE. They were the ones that took one of the most popular IPs of all time and pissed on it by not adhering to the lore and releasing a bug filled mess. They then made their problems worse by pissing all over the people that did like the game,warts and all, by changing the game to be more like WOW.To top it all off they had the most condenscening and beligerant dev team ever.  How they got the oppertunity to the DC franchise is beyond me, but even with that second chance to another great franchise they screwed it up. Why any of you want this SOE screw up resurrected is beyond me.

Having played TOR, I can safely say that I don't miss SWG one bit. The only things that I would want to see from SWG in TOR would be the old economic system and the space game.You can keep the rest. TOR is vastly superior.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

It should have been killed when the NGE came out and they lost 75% of the subscribers. I wouldn't mind seeing a SWG2.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Blazer6992

It should have been killed when the NGE came out and they lost 75% of the subscribers. I wouldn't mind seeing a SWG2.

TBH by the time NGE came they didnt have too many subs left as they had mostly left when the CU ruined the game.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

A modern day open world(s) Star Wars sandbox, with the lessons learned from the past, with the funding and time that was given to SW:TOR, given to it?

It would be a cash cow beyond our craziest dreams.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

No.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."