Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com you are slowly losing your focus

13»

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

i hate that they add all those crappy random download and play "MMO's". I wish it was more focused on just the main stream MMO's. But I understand where they are coming from.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The site seems to be evolving with online gaming.  What you suggest as 'keeping focus' is stagnation. Massively multiplayer online gaming has expanded beyond orcs, elvesm grinding and raiding. It has evolved and emcompasses a broader range of games. While I can empathize with your feeling of being part of a disenfranchised group that enjoys the classic or 'old school' type of MMO, I see MMORPG.com as being very focused and very in touch with where online gaming has progressed to. Now, you can quibble about my use of 'evolve' and 'progress' but that is exactly what is happening.

To simply restrict themselves to only DikuMUD-based MMOs or to, even worse, restrict to only games with a certain pricing structure would be a disservice both to the site and a good portion of its visitors.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• So basically does the site need to break down to all its parts?  Should there be an MMOguru, RPGguru, COOPguru, etc to go along with RTSguru and FPSguru?

Wish I could remember where I saw this so I could quote it directly - someone complaining that Skyrim sucked cause it was like an offline solo MMO.  Doh!  Take the MMO out of MMORPG and what are you left with?  Of course folks who are into MMOs are into other games and like talking about them.  Of course this is true about the staff too.

I think they just need to add some kind of tagging system that lets us filter based on the stuff we're interested in.  For example I don't do FPS at all so I would want to exclude anything tagged that way.

I do play RTS sometimes, and actually wonder why they are restricting RTSGuru to RTS (Real Time Strategy)?  What about turn based like Civilization?  Why not just Strategy Guru (though that doesn't quite have the same ring to it as RTSGuru)?  I'm actually betting that if Civilization VI comes out RTSGuru will be covering it.

What about Virtual World/Simulation Games - where does Sims fit in?  Where does Second Life fit in?  Where do non combat MMOs fit in such as ATITD?

As far as FTP verses P2P verses P2W verses whatever other weird acronyms get invented for new complicated payment models it's very hard to keep games classified when they keep changing.  I expect that no matter what they are saying now more games will be going with the model of some fairly extensive free time to try the game out + subscription + cash shop purchases for fluffy horses that they promise won't mean anything.  If they don't have subscriptions they'll have something else that turns into a must have for most players just about when they are done with their fairly extensive free time.  None of the new payment model flux can be a surprise - how else were the devs going to break the magic $15 a month threshhold?

So given the state of flux in payment methods how does MMORPG.com keep up?  Go by what the games call themselves or disect it into what it really is?  I can tell you if you just try and compare all the sub games out there who have gone 'FTP' or are going 'FTP' before the end of the year it would be a mess, and almost impossible unless you yourself were a high level FTP player.  Now that might be some interesting articles - compare playing each FTP to level 20 with absolutely no money spent.  Then level 40, etc.  Not what everyone speculates is possible but what a player is actually able to do, with how long it took them to do it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The site seems to be evolving with online gaming.  What you suggest as 'keeping focus' is stagnation. Massively multiplayer online gaming has expanded beyond orcs, elvesm grinding and raiding. It has evolved and emcompasses a broader range of games. While I can empathize with your feeling of being part of a disenfranchised group that enjoys the classic or 'old school' type of MMO, I see MMORPG.com as being very focused and very in touch with where online gaming has progressed to. Now, you can quibble about my use of 'evolve' and 'progress' but that is exactly what is happening.

To simply restrict themselves to only DikuMUD-based MMOs or to, even worse, restrict to only games with a certain pricing structure would be a disservice both to the site and a good portion of its visitors.

Well said..

For people like the OP the biggest factor seems to be commercialization of their chosen past-time. It's no different than the Skaters, Punk-rockers and Hardcore-Kids I grew up around. Many of which are still stuck in the mentality we had as teenagers. Anything popularized by mass media is bad, no questions, no exceptions. Even if they loved it before it was commercialized and it hasn't changed after, it's still bad.

The MMO world is a multi-billion dollar industry at this point, you're no longer unique in your interest in it, and never again will be, it's time many accept that or move on. Posts like the the OP's remind me far too much of my 30+ year old friends who still rag on what's on MTV or the radio, as if it shoud matter to me in the slightest bit.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Dewm

While GuildWars is a solid game...it is NOT a MMORPG, "MMO stands for Massivly Multiplayer Online" Guild wars didn't get the memo about massivly.

Neither did Mortal or Darkfall or a host of others, despite GW outselling all of them combined?  What's your point?

Is BF3, CoD or Starcraft an MMO?

FPS FPS and RTS.

no, they aren't RPGs

Maybe if they were RPGs we'd reconsider.

What about a MMOFPS?

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Many valid points in this thread but at the end of the day, if you are unhappy with the direction this web site is taking, the only productive thing you can do is:

1. Notify the powers that be you are unhappy with the content/direction of the web site.

2. Inform them what content/direction you would like to see.

3. State you will not be visiting the web site until things change.

4. Stick to your guns and do not visit MMORPG.com.

Traffic is king on the internet and hate is almost as good as love: If you continue to visit this (or any site) you dislike, even if it is to post negative things, you are still providing them with "visits". The more traffic you generate, the more they can charge advertisers...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Lets be honest with ourselves here for a second.. I've seen complaints everyday and have seen and read them for quite some time.. Are not we bored of what is being offered in the MMO industry thus far? I mean, Rift did well but that was earlier this year.. In between SWTOR and Rift there has been 0, notable P2P releases to captivate an audience such as this one..

However we have had tons of notable releases in other genre's, particularly this Fall, that just rocked the gaming scene as a whole.. It is fitting to fill the void with talk about games that are interesting enough to speak about..

I've seen alot of people who still visit here who have said to have sworn off mmo's all together for the time being..

I wouldn't say the site is losing it's focus, more like a temporary shift while the industry stabilizes and braces for change as the "king" slowly breaks apart..

It's sort of like the part where the mind control machine is destroyed and we all wake up looking at each other confused..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by Dewm

While GuildWars is a solid game...it is NOT a MMORPG, "MMO stands for Massivly Multiplayer Online" Guild wars didn't get the memo about massivly.

Neither did Mortal or Darkfall or a host of others, despite GW outselling all of them combined?  What's your point?

Is BF3, CoD or Starcraft an MMO?

FPS FPS and RTS.

no, they aren't RPGs

Maybe if they were RPGs we'd reconsider.

So MMO have to be RPG?  Even that's obviously false that's kinda interesting lol

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by marinrider

Your taking "massivly" in the wrong direction.

Its about the possibility, not whether or not it actually is doing it.

I do think GW should be on this website, I dont think GW is an MMO.  DFO and Mortal have the ability to have tons of people in one spot.  (Go look at sieges in DFO).  And DFO is an open world.  As is MO from what I understand.

So it doesn't matter that despite the potential, there's only 150 people online?  On the same night that GW's running tens of thousands?

Clearly instances mean that all of those people aren't really playing.

Yep, GW's a CORPG, and they've never had any qualms about saying so.  But in terms of player activity, a far more successful game than any of the tiny sandbox fails--and a lot of moderately successful "true" MMOs, too.

I think you're the one taking "massively" in the wrong direction, particularly as a silly pseudo-definition of what this site should or should not be covering.

Going by your definition CoD or Halo should be one of biggest MMO's dwarfing all other beside WoW and few Asian titles.

Since CoD / Halo / BF3, Starcraft II players are playing in an instances.

At same time only diffrence betweeen Multiplayer and MMO would be how many players are playing it meaning their total number.

That would propably make Quake I, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft I, Diablo I and II  and Counter Strike biggest MMO's in "ancient times" and we should rewrite history records that state Ultima Online, Lineage and Everquest were biggest MMO's of that times.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

OP...

[Mod Edit]

That is why u see closely intigrated advertisments (paid to the website) along side articles about some new MMo n9obody has ever heard of. Directed at some poor 13 year old...

When it has already been established that for many... Many years the community is mostly in their 30's..

Yet, we have to constantly suffer all the BETA GIVEAWAYS w/teenage girls in skirts. As if Rusty Hearts (or the myriad of other laghable attemps at quick-grab money) is more important that integrity.

This site should be less about non-mmo's... & more indepth articles on what makes each mmo tick. Personal upfront interview of ceo's.. their offices and th3e content they plan on providing.

This site is more about advertising than advocating..! Sad really...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Phelcher

OP...

[Mod Edit]

That is why u see closely intigrated advertisments (paid to the website) along side articles about some new MMo n9obody has ever heard of. Directed at some poor 13 year old...

When it has already been established that for many... Many years the community is mostly in their 30's..

Yet, we have to constantly suffer all the BETA GIVEAWAYS w/teenage girls in skirts. As if Rusty Hearts (or the myriad of other laghable attemps at quick-grab money) is more important that integrity.

This site should be less about non-mmo's... & more indepth articles on what makes each mmo tick. Personal upfront interview of ceo's.. their offices and th3e content they plan on providing.

This site is more about soapboxing than advocating..! Sad really...

Fixed...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by marinrider

Your taking "massivly" in the wrong direction.

Its about the possibility, not whether or not it actually is doing it.

I do think GW should be on this website, I dont think GW is an MMO.  DFO and Mortal have the ability to have tons of people in one spot.  (Go look at sieges in DFO).  And DFO is an open world.  As is MO from what I understand.

So it doesn't matter that despite the potential, there's only 150 people online?  On the same night that GW's running tens of thousands?

Clearly instances mean that all of those people aren't really playing.

Yep, GW's a CORPG, and they've never had any qualms about saying so.  But in terms of player activity, a far more successful game than any of the tiny sandbox fails--and a lot of moderately successful "true" MMOs, too.

I think you're the one taking "massively" in the wrong direction, particularly as a silly pseudo-definition of what this site should or should not be covering.

The site has a name.  Does a person go to NFL.com to read about the NBA?  They're both team sports leagues, right?  But no, a person does not go to NFL.com to get their latest info on the NBA.

But wait, the site is more like ESPN.com than NFL.com.  The name is the name.  It is not GamingGuru or something, where you come here and can look at overall gaming info or pick a particular section to focus on.  It is MMORPG.com...

If they were to go with an ESPN.com sort of system with XYZ.com domain, they could have MMORPG.com point to one of the sections of that system.  They could also further develop their overplacement in the gaming industry from there.  To an extent, they're doing that with RTSguru, FPSguru, UnboundGamer, and probably RPGguru at some point since they own the domain.  They could have that base EPSN-like landing page and have the various sections.  I know that I've said ESPN here, but that is because I did not feel as comfortable using GameSpot as an example (I rarely, rarely, rarely ever play anything that is not a MMORPG - so I'm not over at GameSpot... I do not follow any sports other than the NFL, but it is easy to go to ESPN and click NFL so I only see what I want to see).

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I look up at the top of the browser at the address bar, and you know what I see?  MMORPG.com.

Below the tabs, at the top of the page, do you see what I see?  Those links?

• FPSguru.com

• RTSguru.com

• GamerTube.com

• UnboundGamer.com

They also own the domain for RPGguru.com.

So once again, I look at the address bar - MMORPG.com.  That's why I'm here.  If I wanted the other info, they have those sites or they have those sites in development.

It has nothing to do with stagnation... it has everything to do with organization and finding t-shirts in the underwear drawer.

• gimmekeygimmekey Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by VirusDancer

It has nothing to do with stagnation... it has everything to do with organization and finding t-shirts in the underwear drawer.

Speaking of disarray... Have you taken a look at the right hand game lists lately? Half their "in development" titles have been released for months, and most of the beta section is filled with games that will never see the light of day.

If anything, this site needs a major cleanup.

Originally posted by gimmekey

Speaking of disarray... Have you taken a look at the right hand game lists lately? Half their "in development" titles have been released for months, and most of the beta section is filled with games that will never see the light of day.

If anything, this site needs a major cleanup.

Heh, that's kind of funny.  I had not noticed that.  I usually just come in through my profile overview or to the real-time page.  I rarely look at the front page these days.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by forest-nl

Plus fact that a huge chunck of community here like Elder Scrolls series for years now so why should MMORPG.COM not pay attention to Skyrim if they see alot of subscribers like and play Skyrim. Plus fact its a RPG and similar to a mmorpg but solo game, so obvious discussions is logic result.

I remember many years ago when Phantasy star online also was introduced here we had same discussion. But these days many games similar to PSO are now part of this site i dont realy have problem with this.

I wish they payed more attention to SOLO RPGs on this site and chance name to RPG&MMORPG.COM :)

I don't have an issue with that, but I think they should have a specific part of the forum for games like that, mixing them with the MMOs are kinda confusing for new people and a bit messy.

We do!

Originally posted by MikeB

Plus fact that a huge chunck of community here like Elder Scrolls series for years now so why should MMORPG.COM not pay attention to Skyrim if they see alot of subscribers like and play Skyrim. Plus fact its a RPG and similar to a mmorpg but solo game, so obvious discussions is logic result.

I remember many years ago when Phantasy star online also was introduced here we had same discussion. But these days many games similar to PSO are now part of this site i dont realy have problem with this.

I wish they payed more attention to SOLO RPGs on this site and chance name to RPG&MMORPG.COM :)

I don't have an issue with that, but I think they should have a specific part of the forum for games like that, mixing them with the MMOs are kinda confusing for new people and a bit messy.

We do!

MikeB, have you ever been to ESPN.com?  On the right, you have their headlines.  On the base landing page right now, we have stories for the following:

• College Football

• MLB

• Golf

• College Basketball

• MLB

• NFL

• MLB

• MLB

• College Football

• NFL

You're getting headlines for sports.  Say you're only interested in NFL?  There is an option to go to a NFL landing page.  Now, your headlines on the side there are all NFL or Fantasy NFL.

So we come to MMORPG.com.  Our Current Forum Activity/Real-time Forum Overview...is like landing on the ESPN.com main page.  We're seeing "gaming" . . . when some of us may only be interested in MMOs.  Sure, some are here treating it like a General Gaming site - some are here for it being a MMO site.  Given that CCI has MMORPG.com, FPSguru.com, RTSguru.com, UnboundGamer.com, the undeveloped RPGguru.com, and who knows what other domains registered - it just seems that FPS discussion should take place over at FPSguru, RTS discussion should take place over at RTSguru, mobile gaming discussion should take place over at UnboundGamer, that RPGguru should be developed for that RPG discussion, etc.

Perhaps there could be a "base" landing page for gaming - where it shows info from all of the various gaming sites related to the CCI brand.  Where it would be akin to going to ESPN.com... if we wanted to see it all, we'd go there - if we just wanted MMOs - we'd either go to the address that takes us there or we would click MMO once we got there.

Originally posted by MikeB

We do!

MikeB, have you ever been to ESPN.com?  On the right, you have their headlines.  On the base landing page right now, we have stories for the following:

• College Football

• MLB

• Golf

• College Basketball

• MLB

• NFL

• MLB

• MLB

• College Football

• NFL

You're getting headlines for sports.  Say you're only interested in NFL?  There is an option to go to a NFL landing page.  Now, your headlines on the side there are all NFL or Fantasy NFL.

So we come to MMORPG.com.  Our Current Forum Activity/Real-time Forum Overview...is like landing on the ESPN.com main page.  We're seeing "gaming" . . . when some of us may only be interested in MMOs.  Sure, some are here treating it like a General Gaming site - some are here for it being a MMO site.  Given that CCI has MMORPG.com, FPSguru.com, RTSguru.com, UnboundGamer.com, the undeveloped RPGguru.com, and who knows what other domains registered - it just seems that FPS discussion should take place over at FPSguru, RTS discussion should take place over at RTSguru, mobile gaming discussion should take place over at UnboundGamer, that RPGguru should be developed for that RPG discussion, etc.

Perhaps there could be a "base" landing page for gaming - where it shows info from all of the various gaming sites related to the CCI brand.  Where it would be akin to going to ESPN.com... if we wanted to see it all, we'd go there - if we just wanted MMOs - we'd either go to the address that takes us there or we would click MMO once we got there.

Course, the easier option would be the ability to customize what we see in the Current Forum Activity/Real-time Forum Overview... :)  If it had everything by default, but then the option to opt out of certain sections....

...yes, I know this starts to sound like discussing a MMO - lol, everybody wants something different.  Well, tough - we can't all have precisely what we want - but even if we were able to uncheck second tier items - folks not wanting to see Skyrim, would not see it for the most part.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by CalmOceans

I like info about Diablo III, it's close enough to multiplayer play for me to be interested in it, sue me.

Huh? Diablo3 is not "close enough". It IS also multiplayer game. Like Call of Duty is f.e. It is not MMO though.

Multiplayer =/= MMO.

If it is fine for you then good well for you.

I am for some time already looking casually for some other mmorpg site. When I will find some other more fitting my tastes site, I will leave, since I don't really looking for 'genral gaming' or 'multiplayer gaming' site which mmorpg.com apparently starting to become.

I whole heartedly agree, this is supposed to be a site about MMOs and filling the forums and article pages with Diablo III, League of Legends and similar games just gets in the way.  These games are no more MMORPGs than BF3 or Modern Warfare...

If im looking for news or articles on other games I'd go to a different site that doesn't offer any real MMO news.

Now some people are probably thinking that if I don't want to read about D3, LoL etc I should just ignore those articles and skip those forum threads, but it kinda bothers me when writers who could have been writing articles about MMOs on their website dedicated to MMOs instead writes an article about a crappy MOBA...

• gimmekeygimmekey Member Posts: 117

-moved to proper sticky thread-

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Lille7

I whole heartedly agree, this is supposed to be a site about MMOs and filling the forums and article pages with Diablo III, League of Legends and similar games just gets in the way.  These games are no more MMORPGs than BF3 or Modern Warfare...

If im looking for news or articles on other games I'd go to a different site that doesn't offer any real MMO news.

Now some people are probably thinking that if I don't want to read about D3, LoL etc I should just ignore those articles and skip those forum threads, but it kinda bothers me when writers who could have been writing articles about MMOs on their website dedicated to MMOs instead writes an article about a crappy MOBA...

Perfectly written exactly my thoughts. There is already a general-gaming forum for NON-MMORPG topics and games no need giving NON-MMORPGs and more FPSlike games such as Diablo or LoL an own subforum.

If I want to read something about both (which I really don't) I would look for another site, news/articles and features about MMORPGs are welcome but NON-MMORPGs are taking away space, time and features which could have been used for MMORPGS you lknow the games this site should be for.

Is it still the best? For sure by a country mile but I and probably many others know, they can be that much better if they would just focus on MMORPGS again.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• MonsterMMORPGMonsterMMORPG Member Posts: 74

may i ask what is "P2W" ?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by PokemonCraft

It's a sort of derogatory term for F2P. It implies that buying items equals winning the game, or gives you a leg up so to speak.

P2W = pay to win

• MonsterMMORPGMonsterMMORPG Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by PokemonCraft

It's a sort of derogatory term for F2P. It implies that buying items equals winning the game, or gives you a leg up so to speak.

P2W = pay to win

i see now :D