Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.19 and its predecessors has had an effect people.

Just installed and patched the game again after I learnt my one and only problem had been fixed. Partying is plausible now. And not only that they went too far and apparently made it really productive. So hopefully there is a nerf so its not easy street and there is still time to make friends while in a party. But Im stoked to start playing.

 

Things I noticed when I logged in again, polite infrequent shouts for parties (we have a population woot woot), people using the recruit function to find parties, I got a sweet active and helpful linkshell within a few shouts.

 

So I'm thinking the ff11 peeps are still at play in this game ie. one of the best communities i have experienced in an mmo. And I do have hope again that this game might be worth my time.

 

PS: SE is really pandering to us. They are seriously considering and have done the concept art for: male mithra , female Roegs, another female maybe hylander, and have made mention of two new races dragons and something else mystical in nature.

 

Now why did the launch have to be rushed and the game sold when it did not have the "expected standards"(I say this lightly because I don't think everything Wow has done is standard setting, far from it, they copied standards from other games and made them easier), nor the innovation to attract and keep customers. That is something that will stick with them for awhile and maybe next time they will think "profit is derived from the sale of a producted that is demanded and enjoyed". SE can't rest on the laurels of the Final Fantasy franchise. 

 

An interesting note I always bring up is: Square made FF11 and envisioned much of the expansion and further developement of FF11, which was a great game. SE has been less then perfect in its application of its latest expansions for that game. And so it might say something for SE as a company; maybe the talent and innovation isn't there.  But now that I can party grind and make friends. Ill play it for awhile I think and as a self professed, though recently re-baptized, FF fanboi, I will keep the faith.

 

hehe my two cents.

I love snails.
I love every kinda snail.
I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
Cant hug every snail.

Comments

  • FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

    Meanwhile back in reality....

    image

  • ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

    The game has gotten a lot better, it's still not that good, but not close to as bad as it was back at release.

    looking forward to see what FFXIV 2.0 has to offer, I'm not holding my breath though;P

  • moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 131

    Sometimes I have to write something down. Look at it..Then truly believe it. I believe this is your intention. If you hadn't made this post you would have logged out of the game and loaded up your f2p wow account.

     

    My 2 cents.

  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

    ...you only had one problem with the XIV?


     


    I don't understand, can you explain why you didn’t have a problem with the UI, lack of npc indicators or basic tutorials, map and travel issues, guild leave limitations, and their repetitious nature, tedious commuting model, copy and pasted leave hubs and environments, poor graphic optimisation, convoluted crafting, endless redundant sub-menus, grind, broken market system, sluggish un-involving combat, lack of mobs and an empty world, bugs galore, crashes, lack of VO in cut scenes, no responses to feed-back during beta, sound errors, no jump, lack of basic link shell features, clumsy class switching system, bad inventory/item system, and the worst community in MMO history? I’d rather be ganked than ignored by everyone.


     


    The one party I was able to finally join turning into more of a support group, we clung together in despair, but the overheating graphics card was the final straw, (and it can run absolutely everything else). No game is worth your hardware.


     


     


     


     

  • Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

    My biggest problem with XIV is still the same problem they had over a year ago; once you get to 50 there's almost nothing to do. What they have added is nice, but it all boils down to grinding. Spiritbond PT's are mindless AOE fests and then you convert nine rings to materia and get all STR and MND III's. Most of the coffer loot is pointless because most of it is U/U. Leve's of any kind are incredibly boring and limited in scope. Ifrit is great, but it's one fight and it has the worst loot distribution system in existence making you do the same fight over and over and over again. Nobody does DD anymore because you can't put materia in any of the gear. So what's left? Getting another class to 50. Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass. I realize every MMO is full of grind, but not every MMO makes it feel like a grind. In XIV, it is there staring you in the face from 1-50. The only way to make it fun is to do it with good friends, but I can go to the DMV with a really good group of friends and have fun. I still get an overwhelming meh feeling from this game.

  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,041

    It's the same with the crafting. It should have, could have been something remarkable, instead it's 8 x 50 x 1.8 mill exper.

    One ten thousand, two ten thousand, three ten thousand, four ten thousand, five ten thousand. Hit Enter.

    One ten thousand, two ten thousand, three ten thousand, four ten thousand, five ten thousand. Hit Enter.

    No exaggeration, you are looking at no less than 1500 to 3000 game hrs where every 6 seconds you hit enter and that's it. I just got my first one to 18 so I could do materia and they made it the most painfull, belligerent experience humanly possible. Botch, fail my way through the last 4000 exper, fighting the game every millimeter of the way. I don't know if its supposed to make it feel rewarding or what.

  • The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62

    Originally posted by free2play

    It's the same with the crafting. It should have, could have been something remarkable, instead it's 8 x 50 x 1.8 mill exper.

    One ten thousand, two ten thousand, three ten thousand, four ten thousand, five ten thousand. Hit Enter.

    One ten thousand, two ten thousand, three ten thousand, four ten thousand, five ten thousand. Hit Enter.

    No exaggeration, you are looking at no less than 1500 to 3000 game hrs where every 6 seconds you hit enter and that's it. I just got my first one to 18 so I could do materia and they made it the most painfull, belligerent experience humanly possible. Botch, fail my way through the last 4000 exper, fighting the game every millimeter of the way. I don't know if its supposed to make it feel rewarding or what.

    Or you will spend 5 minutes on ffxivpro finding a recipe, 10 minutes buying materials, and finally either wedging down your enter key if you can set it to repeat or using a program to make it spam enter then walking away. Even better use a turbo controller.

    Pre-1.19 you had to press down to select "recent recipies" but now the cursor stays there. It couldn't be easier to afk grind crafts.

    In FFXI I at least stared at the screen during a synth just hoping it wouldn't fail. In FFXIV I was worrying I would wear out my PS3 controller.

  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,056

    Originally posted by zevni78


    ...you only had one problem with the XIV?


     


    I don't understand, can you explain why you didn’t have a problem with the UI, lack of npc indicators or basic tutorials, map and travel issues, guild leave limitations, and their repetitious nature, tedious commuting model, copy and pasted leave hubs and environments, poor graphic optimisation, convoluted crafting, endless redundant sub-menus, grind, broken market system, sluggish un-involving combat, lack of mobs and an empty world, bugs galore, crashes, lack of VO in cut scenes, no responses to feed-back during beta, sound errors, no jump, lack of basic link shell features, clumsy class switching system, bad inventory/item system, and the worst community in MMO history? I’d rather be ganked than ignored by everyone.


     


    The one party I was able to finally join turning into more of a support group, we clung together in despair, but the overheating graphics card was the final straw, (and it can run absolutely everything else). No game is worth your hardware.


     


     


     


     

    All of this!

     

    I logged in last night and I still was bored out of my mind, no way in hell I pay to play this while they turn it into something of a game... I say something because we don't know exactly WHAT it will be when done. And I'm curious how many people pay the subscription fee to fund the changes they make, will the changes even come to fruition if enough players cancel their accounts.

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,042

    Are they charging the monthly sub yet?  I was under the impression that sometime this month they were going to start charging for a subscription.

  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

    They're going to start charging next month, going by the last info we got on it.

  • Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

    Originally posted by niceguy3978

    Are they charging the monthly sub yet?  I was under the impression that sometime this month they were going to start charging for a subscription.

     

    Not yet, and we don't have a firm date for when they will start charging. SE is notorious for answering questions in a way that says the least. So far as we know, we'll get to "trial" the next patch which should be here "soon." They haven't said how long we get to play 1.2, and they haven't told us how much they're going to charge.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

    I would like to comment ona few things.The talent i believe is there,however greed and cost always come into play.They put all that time and money into that game engine so needed to start seeing some cash flow.

    One other HUGe problem was and i mentioned it back years ago was that FFXI used up so many innovative and great ideas that they would eventually run out of ideas.This is why FFXIV has a sort of cheap FFXI copy look about it.I have seen soem really bad decisions inside FFXI that left a sour taste with me.It has looked ever s oobviosu they are catering to easy mode and the Wowish type gamer,that does not sit well with me ,i detest everything Wow does.

    I was very happy with FFXI's menu system and macro system,if the ykept that with a bit of expansion of the macro size,i would be more than happy.I don't need or even want a Wow type hotbar with spamming icons.

    Their own staff admitted the new game engine was a mistake and the BEST news i have got out of the Square camp is they have decided to license the Unreal 3 engine for many projects at least 3.

    Unreal3 license

    This could be a case of them jumping on the NEW bandwagon for making phone apps using the engine who really knows,but they are a huge developer that covers all platforms.

    This news alone gives me a smile and makes me realize that i should never give up on Sqaure they are a really good developer that is always thinking.

    As for FFXIV there is some game design areas that will never fly with me,so no matter what they do to the rest of the game, i can't see me playing it,yes i am that stubborn.I guess i have been jaded by FFXI ,such an amazing effort and to think it was made for console just boggles my mind that nobody else can make a decent game even on a PC platform.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

    There is something to community, i will use the PRIME example >>>EVE online.

    People can complain all they want about FFXIV,it is miles above what Eve was and still is.

    Eve was released as rubbish,nobody knew the results of their choices,content was and stilli is not in the game,i am talking  conent that is a MUST.Yet they still have 600k players paying a subscription for this game,makes one wonder what is really going on?

    I think Eve survives as a commuinity becuase there is no direct competition for it.FFXIV is in competition with MANY MMORPG's,and in most cases there is no "potential" community because it is mainly game hoppers.

    Yes FFXIV has some nuiances,but it is not that bad of a game,it is just different.As for talking about running other games on your hardware >>lol,FFXIV is at the very top of the heap for pushing the GPU,so you can't compare this game with other games.There are tricks other games are doing to cut down on gpu stress,most of which i don't like so don't knowck FFXIV for trying to push the enevelope.Thsi is exactly what happened top VG a ganme that beyond the PC's abilities to run it,so everyone mocked it.Develoeprs actually try to push the envelope to give their game lasting power,only Blizzard seems to be able to get away with selling freeware.

    FFXIV might not be the game for me,but many make it out to be some amateur release becuase i think they expected to see another Wow clone.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

    Originally posted by Wizardry

    There is something to community, i will use the PRIME example >>>EVE online.

    People can complain all they want about FFXIV,it is miles above what Eve was and still is.

    Eve was released as rubbish,nobody knew the results of their choices,content was and stilli is not in the game,i am talking  conent that is a MUST.Yet they still have 600k players paying a subscription for this game,makes one wonder what is really going on?

    I think Eve survives as a commuinity becuase there is no direct competition for it.FFXIV is in competition with MANY MMORPG's,and in most cases there is no "potential" community because it is mainly game hoppers.

    Yes FFXIV has some nuiances,but it is not that bad of a game,it is just different.As for talking about running other games on your hardware >>lol,FFXIV is at the very top of the heap for pushing the GPU,so you can't compare this game with other games.There are tricks other games are doing to cut down on gpu stress,most of which i don't like so don't knowck FFXIV for trying to push the enevelope.Thsi is exactly what happened top VG a ganme that beyond the PC's abilities to run it,so everyone mocked it.Develoeprs actually try to push the envelope to give their game lasting power,only Blizzard seems to be able to get away with selling freeware.

    FFXIV might not be the game for me,but many make it out to be some amateur release becuase i think they expected to see another Wow clone.

     

    You can't really compare EVE to FFXIV in terms of content. The entire point is that there is no content that is a MUST. The developers give the players the tools to make their own content. How you participate in it is up to you. Really, EVE is a horrible comparison, and you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the type of game EVE is.

     

    People didn't expect a WoW clone. People expected a release worthy game. People expected a game that was at least on par with FFXI, a game that is nearly a decade old. People didn't expect soul crushing input lag, the worst 'AH' to date, and character progression that was based on RNG.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    Too late, MMO fans can forgive a few months problems but when it is more than 3 the games rarely can get the dissapointed players back.

    The list is long and sad, and the only exception so far is Eve. That they didn't take any monthly fees yet is the only reason they still have some players, and they should be happy if they can keep the ones playing it for free right now with monthly fees.

    I don't think FF XIV ever will become a medium popular MMO, S-E should have known better than botch a release this way and the release of games like TOR and GW2 are 2 more nails in the coffin for the game.

    Too bad really but I don't see how the game can recover after all this, at least not on PC. It might be possible on PS3 though and if I were S-E I would focus on that.

  • steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

    I loved FFXI. LOVED IT! I'm more of an old-school FF fan, personally. Ever since Enix got together with Square, it's been disasterous. Two great companies merged into total crap. C'est la vie, I guess.

    At any rate, I played FFXIV in beta. I bought it maybe 8-10 months ago. Played it for about a week, and stopped. I've come back to it every once in a while, wishing that I could get into it, but I can't. While I do love the game, and I wish that it could captivate me, it just doesn't. I agree that a console release could possibly revitalize the game, they'll really need to pull through with overhauling everything like they've promised.

    Anyway, I'll still keep an eye open. . .

     

    Ah, one more thing before I end this post. If one thing can be said for the people over at SquareEnix, they do not screw over their consumers. It's unprecedented that a company actually stand by their product and offer well over a year of free gameplay. Honestly, it has me rather awe-struck just thinking about it. That alone is their saving grace.

     

    *edit* I'd also like to say that Loke summed it up well. There's really no better way to say it. I agree absolutely.

  • RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

    Are they charging the monthly sub yet?  I was under the impression that sometime this month they were going to start charging for a subscription.

     

    No, I think they're still paying people to play.
Sign In or Register to comment.