Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rate 1-10

grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

what would you rate this computer, 1-10.

cpu- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

RAM- OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory timing 2-2-2-5

hard drive- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B250S0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive – OEM

power supply- x-connect 500 watt

video card- nvidia 6600 gt (not sure but thats prolly what)

sound- icluded with motherboard (onboard)

logigys clear acrylic case

and some extra cables and lighting.

around $1180 including shipping and handling and tax.

Comments

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
  • LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Yea I would also give it around a 7. Im not a techie so dont know much about what brand is better than others for parts, but im building a pc soon that will hopefully have those same specs but different brands.

While there is certaintly nothing wrong with the specs, it only gets a 7 because of the newer technology out there that out performs it.

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    That's not too bad.  The asus board you chose is the one I want to buy if I build/buy my new box.  SLI is a must if you game, don't even bother buying  anew box without it.  One thing I don't like is one massive hard drive.  I have two 120's.  I don't use RAID but it still makes me feel better for some reason =P  For affordability vs performance it's a pretty good buy.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I'd rate it 6-7.

If you're going to go SLI get a DFI UT SLI-DR. It is supposed to perform better than the ASUS. Also why are you getting the Deluxe version? Are you even going to use the extra features? Just get the regular ASUS SLI board if you really want to stick with them.

I would also invest in some more value concious RAM. I don't understand RAM fully so I'm not going to blindly recommend some but from what I've read you can buy some cheaper value RAM and it will OC (I'm guessing this is your intention with getting the OCZ gold) very close to the top of the line stuff. Also RAM doesn't make that huge of a boost in performace. You only need the really good stuff if you're using some extreme cooling like water cooling or phase change. Or if you are really bent on running 1:1 for that extra couple points in a benchmark or for that extra frame per second in a game.

Save some money on the RAM and upgrade the card to a 6800 or get a better processor. I would really opt for a plain 6800. Running dual 6600 GT's just seems so strange to me. You're budget concious but want to run SLI. I understand the concept that they will cheaper in the future and you're waiting for the prices to drop eventually. I'd still rather invest a little more now and wait a little longer later for the added benefit of upgrading to a 6800.

As for a hard drive I would recommend checking out a Hitachi T7K250 250GB. It is cheaper than the DiamondMax and performs very close if not better in some cases.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

I'd rate it 6-7.
    If you're going to go SLI get a DFI UT SLI-DR. It is supposed to perform better than the ASUS. Also why are you getting the Deluxe version? Are you even going to use the extra features? Just get the regular ASUS SLI board if you really want to stick with them.
    I would also invest in some more value concious RAM. I don't understand RAM fully so I'm not going to blindly recommend some but from what I've read you can buy some cheaper value RAM and it will OC (I'm guessing this is your intention with getting the OCZ gold) very close to the top of the line stuff. Also RAM doesn't make that huge of a boost in performace. You only need the really good stuff if you're using some extreme cooling like water cooling or phase change. Or if you are really bent on running 1:1 for that extra couple points in a benchmark or for that extra frame per second in a game.
    Save some money on the RAM and upgrade the card to a 6800 or get a better processor. I would really opt for a plain 6800. Running dual 6600 GT's just seems so strange to me. You're budget concious but want to run SLI. I understand the concept that they will cheaper in the future and you're waiting for the prices to drop eventually. I'd still rather invest a little more now and wait a little longer later for the added benefit of upgrading to a 6800.
    As for a hard drive I would recommend checking out a Hitachi T7K250 250GB. It is cheaper than the DiamondMax and performs very close if not better in some cases.

oh well you were a little too late, just ordered, but i would have taken you advice if i hadnt ordered yet. and i think ram does do alot in the performance area especially the speed. plus i dont really whant to upgrade anytime soon so thats why everything is allittle well dont know how to explain it not really modern but you know what i mean. dont know if  iwant to run sli yet. (just looked like a good motherboard to me with all the features and its price.)

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by grimweeper

hard drive- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B250S0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive – OEM

How much did you pay for this HDD? With that mobo, it would have been slightly more expensive, but you should have picked up 2 - 120 GB or 160 GB SATA drives and run them in a RAID 0 configuration. It would have given you the 240-320 GB of space and would have been faster than that 250GB Drive. For the 120GB (240 total) configuration probably would have run you an extra $40-$50.