Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do we feel about Rift?

LordEricLordEric Member UncommonPosts: 28

So...

I'm debating going back to World of Warcraft... however I was taking a look at rift...

I'm a dungeon/raids kinda guy... which way should I go?

Comments

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I didnt get far enough in the game to see any raids. They do however seem to be adding a lot of endgame content. Dungeon finder is useliess for a DPS toon. It isnt a bad game but if your a WOW player I dont think Rift will satisfy you. I too have played WOW off and on for 6 years. Rift is a good game but I think its late to the party. Nothing new.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168

Rifts raids are most definitely harder than WoW.  WoW's raids cater to the more "care-bear" player, more casual, were as raiding in Rift is a lot more difficult.  Just my two sense if raiding more on the harder side appeals to you.

Talint

Non sibi sed patriae

• LordEricLordEric Member UncommonPosts: 28

My struggle with WoW is its future.

A new Kung Fu Panda class? Yeah; stolen from a cartoon movie.

Also the new Talent Tree's make me feel like im in 3rd grade again (and I teach a 3rd grade classroom...).

I think my biggest thing is fun factor. Success in the future. I love my 85 pally; but I just don't know.

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16

Did some raiding in Rift. It does have alot of endgame content and some redeeming quailities. Sub lapsing this month, will not renew due to upcoming SWTOR release. I did enjoy my time immensly in Rift, but had the unfortunate choice of warrior for main. The seeminly constant need to nerf them really caused me to scale back playing.

If you like WoW, you will find alot of similarities. Leveling is very flexable in Rift. You can lvl questing, PvP, instances, or just doing open world content (rifts).

SWTOR looks cheesy in my oppinion and I don't know... I feel like the graphics are nothing close to what they could be and I feel like the hype is going to die fast. Thta is just my personal feeling on it.

When is the early access release?

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

They are very similar in what's offered- I think it really depends on what you prefer visually as well as what kind of hardware you're packing. If you're using an older/weaker system then perhaps stay with WoW as you won't need to upgrade to keep good FPS, however if you've got the juice and you like the aesthetics of Rift better then go with it. A bonus is that Trion Worlds kicks out free content updates faster and more regularly than any other I know of.

Early Access starts Dec. 15. I agree the graphics a bit dated, but Bioware knows how to make games. I know it is their first crack at an MMO, but going to give it a shot. Wife got into the last beta and loved it. Happy wife makes a happy husband.

Ain't that the truth.

But yeah my PC runs BF3 like a fat kid eats cake... lets just go with that :]

I just feel that SWTOR could have been better. I feel like the hype won't last.

I'm not entirely sure I want to spend the money in that direction just yet.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i like rift for 2 reasons..the fun factor and the ability to makee classes to your playstyle...i,e 8 different trees for warrior class etc..if you know wot i mean.you can mess around ,mix and match whereas when i used to play wow..you only had 3 specs,so i vote rift for pure enjoyment and been able to mess around with your char.i guess thars the part i really enjoy.just my opinion though.

Originally posted by kevjards

i like rift for 2 reasons..the fun factor and the ability to makee classes to your playstyle...i,e 8 different trees for warrior class etc..if you know wot i mean.you can mess around ,mix and match whereas when i used to play wow..you only had 3 specs,so i vote rift for pure enjoyment and been able to mess around with your char.i guess thars the part i really enjoy.just my opinion though.

Noted, thank you!

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Talint

Rifts raids are most definitely harder than WoW.  WoW's raids cater to the more "care-bear" player, more casual, were as raiding in Rift is a lot more difficult.  Just my two sense if raiding more on the harder side appeals to you.

Talint

This is not correct.  Heroic Ragnaros is for sure harder than anything in Rift.

You can mess with your builds all you want before end game. If you want to do more than T1 instances (raid or master instances), you have to use the top builds. I raided all except Hammerknell, there is little room to carry people.

Originally posted by LordEric

My struggle with WoW is its future.

A new Kung Fu Panda class? Yeah; stolen from a cartoon movie.

Also the new Talent Tree's make me feel like im in 3rd grade again (and I teach a 3rd grade classroom...).

I think my biggest thing is fun factor. Success in the future. I love my 85 pally; but I just don't know.

You could argue the cartoon movie stole form wow because Pandaren brewmasters predate Kung Fu panda, so this is just a stupid statement.

The talent trees do look like garbage.

One thing to keep in mind with Rift's immediate (not long term) future is that SWTOR will most likely have a rather large effect on it.  You start playing now and find a raid guild that you are comortable with only to have them fall apart due to losing 4 people to swtor.  Rift is a stepping stone for MANY people that are just buying time for other games.

The games subs have been slowly trickling down and the servers have been cut in half and theres about 6 out of the 30 US servers that dont have a strong enough population to warrant being open.  HOWEVER things will eventually level off and Rift does enough things right to keep 100-200k people (or more) steadily subbed, but that process could take a while and you will see an awful lot of flux.

WoW will have flux too, but there are obviously far more guilds in WoW so you will be more likely to find a guild that suits you.

• psyfighterpsyfighter Member Posts: 50

dont get me wrong rift is a good game just something felt off or missing from it i dont really know what tho.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Tolgeranth

You can mess with your builds all you want before end game. If you want to do more than T1 instances (raid or master instances), you have to use the top builds. I raided all except Hammerknell, there is little room to carry people.

well our guild kind of goes in with everyone..fun based..basically to see how we do etc.no worries about what build you have.but if you are well into raids i guess there will be certain roles that peeps prefer..for all the peeps who are hard core.

My advice: go back to WoW for 4.3, sincer htere are 3 new dungeons and the deathwing raid.  Enjoy that content when its fresh and then if/when you get sick of it then try Rift.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Talint

Talint

This is not correct.  Heroic Ragnaros is for sure harder than anything in Rift.

Let's not speak in absolutes.  Much more guilds have killed Heroic Ragnaros than those that have killed Akylios, even doing a ratio based on subscribers.  Hard is pretty subjective too.  Neither game is really hard to raid in as far as individual role goes, it just takes a lot of time and cooperation to get to the point to be able to do that content (relying on 19-24 others not to screw up their role).

As far as the OP goes, you'll enjoy Rift if you are a raider.  The single group dungeons aren't particularly challenging anymore since a huge nerf several months ago, but the raid dungeons are still difficult and overall I'd personally say a bit more difficult than WoW's raiding (again though, that's pretty subjective and both are at least close in difficulty towards the far end game).

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Rift is far better IMO...nuff said.

***Raving rabbid raises a plunger in salute to Coach K beating out Bob Knight as all time College b-ball wins!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Rift is a fine enough game even though it ain't so different from Wow. 

Which one you should play is just up to your personal preferance.

Rifts character customization is better but Wows combat wins. Graphic wise is of course Rift years ahead of Wow even though Wows art is better.

Just do the free trial of Rift, you might not see the raids that fast but you will get the general feel of the game. That is already a lot more than we can tell you here.

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Let's not speak in absolutes.  Much more guilds have killed Heroic Ragnaros than those that have killed Akylios, even doing a ratio based on subscribers.  Hard is pretty subjective too.  Neither game is really hard to raid in as far as individual role goes, it just takes a lot of time and cooperation to get to the point to be able to do that content (relying on 19-24 others not to screw up their role).

As far as the OP goes, you'll enjoy Rift if you are a raider.  The single group dungeons aren't particularly challenging anymore since a huge nerf several months ago, but the raid dungeons are still difficult and overall I'd personally say a bit more difficult than WoW's raiding (again though, that's pretty subjective and both are at least close in difficulty towards the far end game).

2.4% of guilds that raid Firelands have killed heroic Ragnaros (as of a week ago or so), and Ragnaros was out a full month before Hammerknell and also keep in mind how badly bugged Hammerknell was when it was released, many of the bosses were practically unkillable due to its poor release.

I do think the amount fo skill required for both games isnt all that different, WoW may seem easier because the combat is a little better and people have been used to it for years.  People are still very new at this Rift thing

Originally posted by Loke666

Rift is a fine enough game even though it ain't so different from Wow. 

Which one you should play is just up to your personal preferance.

Rifts character customization is better but Wows combat wins. Graphic wise is of course Rift years ahead of Wow even though Wows art is better.

Just do the free trial of Rift, you might not see the raids that fast but you will get the general feel of the game. That is already a lot more than we can tell you here.

This is pretty spot on