Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friday with Means - October 21st, 2011 - Canyon view

burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=594699

Friday with Means - October 21st, 2011 - Canyon view

This week we have been hard at work putting the finishing touches on the Halloween update which will obviously be out on the live servers next week as my attempts at delaying Halloween were not successful. I'm really exited about the Halloween content this year...and getting to see our new designer's first instance and the new Pandemonium instance at the same time is sure to be interesting.

Work has been continuing this week refining lighting and self illumination effects to really get the mood we all want to see both during the day and at night. I imagine when/if the Rookie gets stuck in here (screenie attached) it will be because he can't believe how good the canyons look now

Have a great weekend everyone!

Attached Images

outzone_3.jpg

Colin Cragg

This "Means" Cake

Game Director/Producer

~\_/~\_O

Comments

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

They are also trickling in new textures.  Here's an example that sharply delineates the difference in a new, hi-res item, and the old textures:

Hi-Res helmet

~\_/~\_O

• eazeeaze Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by burmese
    They are also trickling in new textures.  Here's an example that sharply delineates the difference in a new, hi-res item, and the old textures:

Hi-Res helmet

Looks very nice, unfortunately it also puts emphasis on how "bad" the old graphics are. But I am sure that will just be more motivation for them to keep improving it, and getting the new engine done :)

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by eaze

Hi-Res helmet

Looks very nice, unfortunately it also puts emphasis on how "bad" the old graphics are. But I am sure that will just be more motivation for them to keep improving it, and getting the new engine done :)

You do realize those were by far the best graphics in 2001 of any mmorpg.

All the need to do is modernize the combat and animation and im back.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Originally posted by eaze

Hi-Res helmet

You do realize those were by far the best graphics in 2001 of any mmorpg.
    All the need to do is modernize the combat and animation and im back.

Indeed.

I still remember being blown away by the graphics when I first started playing way back in 2003. Unfortunately, the graphics are the least of the game's current problems but it's still nice to see that the game is still alive and kicking after all of these years.

• GravespinGravespin Member Posts: 66

Looks like they are way too busy with social items, to be able to complete stuff like "The new gfx engine" and balance patch with the current staff.. :(

And since people sooner or later get tired of showing off their social in borealis, people quit. And due to the low omni pop, clans got all high level tower spots, and dosen't look like it will turn around before AO close.

#LOTRO (Dankman 37 BUR)
    #COV (Bonefish 50 ice/rad)
    Tryed: SWG, Planetside, AA, EQ2, Rappelz, Matrix, DAoC, Ryzom.

Looking forward to:
    1: Planet Side 2
    2: Anarchy-Online 2

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Gravespin

Looks like they are way too busy with social items, to be able to complete stuff like "The new gfx engine" and balance patch with the current staff.. :(

And since people sooner or later get tired of showing off their social in borealis, people quit. And due to the low omni pop, clans got all high level tower spots, and dosen't look like it will turn around before AO close.

This.

I returned after few years and in a few days I just decided to let it go. Really small population, item mall, social item mayhem, social pets etc. etc.. It's almost like a different game nowadays. You can buy buffs, victory points, xp stims from the item mall and so on. Made me sad.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Are funcom really sticking this carrot in front of players noses still? what a shady company they are indeed. At the end of every year for the last 4 years now they have been saying that the graphics update will be out next year.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Are funcom really sticking this carrot in front of players noses still? what a shady company they are indeed. At the end of every year for the last 4 years now they have been saying that the graphics update will be out next year.

They're still working on the graphics update but for the life of me I see no practical reason why they should bother. Even if they released both the graphics update and rebalancing tomorrow it would be too little, too late to save the game. They would have been better off spending some time working on the real problems: content, itemization, the new player experience, and fixing all of the mostly useless professions.

I wish so much that they would, for once, be honest with us and just come out and say that there's nothing they can do with it, and stick it in "maintenance only" mode until such a time that the sub numbers will no longer pay costs.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

For the record,  Playing an agent in ao is like having leprosy. Next friday they will have more info on rebalance and its status but its much too late. Most people that play anything besides doctor/soldier/crat/enfo have given up hope and are too bitter to give a damn anymore myself included.