Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG with an awesome Ranger class!

MMOHOMMOHO Member UncommonPosts: 55

Hi forum

I am looking for a f2p MMORPG with an awesome Ranger class. The game must be very healthy and I prefer a warm and friendly community. Also I would like the game not to be too old. Suggestions would be appreciated! 

KR,

MMOho

Comments

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Well, when I think of the word Ranger, the D&D interpretation comes to mind instantly.  If you want something that would play more or less like that, DDO has a pretty solid interpretation of the class.  Though I'll warn you firsthand: Due to how the game works, ranged combat is a bit underwhelming compared to melee builds, if you're looking to use a bow instead of getting in there and dual-wielding it up.  Manyshot can make you powerful, but if you want to be an effective ranger, you'll want to be able to switch between melee and ranged effectively.  Like D&D, you get some spell access.

I can't think of any other games off the top of my head that play the ranger class as straight as DDO and meet the rest of your requirements.  But if you want to deviate from it a bit, you have plenty of games that take it a major step in the direction of archery, like in LotRO and Guild Wars (buy to play).

And if you're looking for one of those lobby-based games, Dragon Nest has an archer that can do some nifty melee moves and acrobatic techniques.  Or maybe you don't mind being a superhero, so you could make a character using a Bow weapon in one of those games like CoH or DCUO and use a powerset that can fit thematically (like DCUO's nature?).

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I am a ranger/controller in dcuo (brain wave spells) and it is extremely fun
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

With EQ2 now fully F2P that might be your best bet. The original EQ ranger was one of my favorites, I don't remember off the top of my head how the EQ2 Ranger played, but I assume similarly.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

AoC's ranger is fun. They have some directional attacks like melee classes. While they mainly stay at range, they also have some melee attacks, and traps.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

Also hunter class in LOTR is good bow , crossbow user while still can dualwhild with many melee weapons .

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Meltdown

With EQ2 now fully F2P that might be your best bet. The original EQ ranger was one of my favorites, I don't remember off the top of my head how the EQ2 Ranger played, but I assume similarly.

Most likely though, you are going to have to buy the ranger class. From my experience with their first incarnation of F2P, the EQ2X servers, you had to buy additional classes and they only gave you a few to start with. Warrior, Berzerker, Warlock, Wizard, Templar and Inquisitor were the only classes you got for free. I have yet to see anything that says they are going to change this so just be wary if you are planning to go to EQ2 when it goes fully F2P.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Depends on how far back you want to go, and type of game.

For PVP games: Lineage 2, Aion both very nice ranger classes

PVE games: Lotro, wow, city of heroes

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"