Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scared to resub

You know, I actually kind of like this game. I downloaded the free version, goofed with my old toons and enjoyed it enough to decide throw them $15 for a month to goof around some more.

Except...

Their damned account payment process is so borked, I'm afraid to give them a credit card number. I have never seen a sketchier process in my life, and I say this as an experienced back-end web developer who has done maybe 100 professional credit card transaction sites.

Step 1:

First they have you create a permanent credit card record on their servers. To a novice, this might seem spooky, but usually a recurring payment service returns an anonymized token after a single CC transaction and the credit card number is not actually stored on the vendor's server. That's the way it's supposed to work anyway. Based on the other amateur-hour crap on this site, I would even question this.

Step 2:

Pick a payment plan and connect it to the payment method you made. Fine.  I pick the one-month deal and link it to the credit card I just made. Hit "Submit" and stare at my screen awaiting approval.

Step 3:

Normally, the back-end server would run out to Verisign or Paypal or whomever is processing their transactions, and a few seconds later you'd get a confirmation notice saying Ok or No-good. Not so with Funcom. Here they put a "payment pending" messge on your page. 

Step 4?:

Clicking on the "payment pending" link leads you to a form that now asks for a CCV value. Why this was not collected in step 1 is a mystery, but ok... So I put in the code from the back of my card, hit submit.

Nothing. No error, no acknowledgement, nothing. I'm afraid to click the button again of course, because who knows what kind of jackhole coded this thing. Will I be billed multiple times?

It's total amateur hour. You can't tell if it worked, failed, or what. There's no feedback at all. The whole thing is so poorly designed on the parts I CAN see that I'm afraid to even speculate on the parts I CAN'T. I can't possibly give these clowns a CC number given the assclownery that's happened in recent months with other sites.

No game is worth that risk.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I can't speak to whether or not the process is dorked.  I've seen all types.  All I can say is I've subbed and haven't had any problems with em.  Until I do, I'm not worried.  The outside process and the actual safety are two different things in my book.

I self identify as a monkey.

• enoliceenolice Member UncommonPosts: 71

You right , better hide somewhere deep in underground with your card so no chance to still from cc .

Im using my cc with funcom for years and never ever happend something wrong .

• dirtypooldirtypool Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by enolice

You right , better hide somewhere deep in underground with your card so no chance to still from cc .

Clown, I am warning you as a public service. I build these kinds of transaction every day and have done so for the better part of 15 years. When I say this looks spooky to me, it is a professional evaluation, not tin-foil-hattery.

• enoliceenolice Member UncommonPosts: 71

Clown , im using this service for years as i said and telling you its safe so far so might you build crappy transaction .

ill say DONT troll here !!!! ( until u got buissness in it )

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by dirtypool

Originally posted by enolice

Clown, I am warning you as a public service. I build these kinds of transaction every day and have done so for the better part of 15 years. When I say this looks spooky to me, it is a professional evaluation, not tin-foil-hattery.

But there is no need of this public service really. I have two accounts with Funcom.. Anarchy online and AOC , never had any trouble. You just seem paranoid.  

• InsideBevelInsideBevel Member Posts: 33

I have never had any pronlems either, but I do think the whole account page is pretty amateurish done.

And especially their payment system.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Until they bring back and actually develop their faction server, it's too vanilla anyway.  Bob's Cimmerian, Aquilonian, Stygian guild vs. Sally's Aquilonian, CImmerian, Stygian guild is just boring.  Robert E. Howard present unique cultures with rich lore, set amids a dark Cthulian landscape where entire nations fell to war, and dark sorcerers sought eternal life and power over the planet.  Priests of Mitra did not slay each other in an instanced battleground and necromancers and demonologists wouldn't go near Cimmeria.  It's just horribly lazily developed and yet it could have been the next and best Dark Age of Camelot mmorpg concept. 

I'll never forgive these developers for just lifting the Conan image and giving us something that most people refused to pay monthly to play.

I am therefore not at all surprised about their shady billling issue.

/rip creativity

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

They charge in Euros but that's about as scary as it gets. Unless you see the item store prices for certain vanity items. Now that is scary.

Not really had a problem in the 4 months. Nothing can guarantee you safety though. I mean if Steam can get hacked, what's to say this system - which arguably looks dodgier - can't?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Comaf

Until they bring back and actually develop their faction server, it's too vanilla anyway.  Bob's Cimmerian, Aquilonian, Stygian guild vs. Sally's Aquilonian, CImmerian, Stygian guild is just boring.  Robert E. Howard present unique cultures with rich lore, set amids a dark Cthulian landscape where entire nations fell to war, and dark sorcerers sought eternal life and power over the planet.  Priests of Mitra did not slay each other in an instanced battleground and necromancers and demonologists wouldn't go near Cimmeria.  It's just horribly lazily developed and yet it could have been the next and best Dark Age of Camelot mmorpg concept. 

I'll never forgive these developers for just lifting the Conan image and giving us something that most people refused to pay monthly to play.

I am therefore not at all surprised about their shady billling issue.

/rip creativity

Maybe you should learn to channel your energies into learning to differente between lore and game mechanics.

Anyway, AoC isn't simply based off of REH's work but on all that followed, pastiches, sword-n-sorcery spinoffs, you name it. If that is to your displeasure, too bad.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

The reason it looks a little amaturish is that it's a 10 year old system that they've just kept adding features on that it was never deigned to support. Example the CVC code is something they probably didnt use 10 years ago, and also the itemshop and special deals is something that's been added.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I can understand the op's concerns about billing. I had same worries as I entered my details but the confirm payment or whatever it called never changed. Log into game i'm still stuck with ffp restrictions. Back to confirm payment a second time.....do I get billed twice?? I've read several posts about it taking a long time to accept you've become a premium player but after 30 mins still I'm still ffp. Eventually I contacted live chat where a guy after just a few mins checked and said my billing had been processed and I was good to go. Live chat was the best thing I had encountered so far.....but I'm still worried that clicking process payment or whatever Its called billed me twice.

Pan

• immortal111immortal111 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Obviously no one here played at launch, or never opened up the forums at launch.

@OP ;

You would of had a reason to be concerned at launch, now..not so much. I still remember the countless threads (and friends in game) explaining how AoC billed them when they cancelled, or billed them for 2 months when they told it to bill for 1, etc. The problem lasted for a long time, and not for everyone. Pretty sure it's fixed now though.

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

OMG, the fanboys start trolling a nice person, who obviously is helping others out. This is the same that happens on the official funcom forums. The fanboys, being paid by funcom to herass others that have tried to help others out. Really fanboys, go back to your mommies, the OP has a fallid point here. Funcom has been hacked before and account stolen, even credit card info. So.....stop clowning around and pay attention. If you did that in class, you wouldnt have to sit at your dads home playing games while your dad works for you to feed you!

So....back to the topic. I think the OP has a fallid point here. The whole funnycom thing is a joke. Has been since launch. And I have been there since just after launch, so dont go calling me nothing, because whatever you call me, look in the mirror first!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by jungleninja

OMG, the fanboys start trolling a nice person, who obviously is helping others out. This is the same that happens on the official funcom forums. The fanboys, being paid by funcom to herass others that have tried to help others out. Really fanboys, go back to your mommies, the OP has a fallid point here. Funcom has been hacked before and account stolen, even credit card info. So.....stop clowning around and pay attention. If you did that in class, you wouldnt have to sit at your dads home playing games while your dad works for you to feed you!

So....back to the topic. I think the OP has a fallid point here. The whole funnycom thing is a joke. Has been since launch. And I have been there since just after launch, so dont go calling me nothing, because whatever you call me, look in the mirror first!

Valid. not Fallid, Valid.  Now, I dont think think anyones "trolling" the op at all.  Hell, there are more people here telling him the billing system works fine now.  I think there is at most 1 maybe 2 people in this thread saying otherwise.  And why would funcom pay people to harass people who are trying to help people who want to sub to their game?  Does that make any sense to you? 

And the fanboys are trying to help him, so your post seems misdirected.  Also, I bet most people in this thread are self supporting.  Its just a statistical fact. 

What were we going to call you?  I bought the CE at launch and never had an credit card issues or billing issues.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

OP never said he has any problems with their site. It propably works ok (though I saw some people reporting problems but well this happens everywhere).

Still their payment site looks amaturish and that's a fact. No arguing about it.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by immortal111

Obviously no one here played at launch, or never opened up the forums at launch.

@OP ;

You would of had a reason to be concerned at launch, now..not so much. I still remember the countless threads (and friends in game) explaining how AoC billed them when they cancelled, or billed them for 2 months when they told it to bill for 1, etc. The problem lasted for a long time, and not for everyone. Pretty sure it's fixed now though.

There is no such thing as "Would of", It's "Would Have". It's stupid.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by taus01

@OP ;

OMG, that you fall over that. I mean, not everyone is english native. So.....just shows your iq to be honest!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Check your account's email, just got a 30 day premium offer for free, says it's for all veteran accounts.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

@OP ;

Speaking as an English major, I have to say "Don't be such a grammarian." I think that you are confusing stupidity wih ignorance. Most likely the poster had heard "would've" in a spoken sentence, but never seen it spelled (or realized that it was a contraction of "would have"), and simply spelled it out as heard.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by CasualMaker

@OP ;

Speaking as an English major, I have to say "Don't be such a grammarian." I think that you are confusing stupidity wih ignorance. Most likely the poster had heard "would've" in a spoken sentence, but never seen it spelled (or realized that it was a contraction of "would have"), and simply spelled it out as heard.

"Would of" is a quirk of certain groups of native English speakers actually. I'm pretty sure at least some of them have read an English book or newspaper at some point.