Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No BF3 training?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I would like to learn to fly those helicopters, but there isnt a training program in the game.

Any advice?

I dont wantto just jump in one and crash.  Hurts the whole team.

Comments

• driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78

find a server with a population cap of 2 or 4 and normally those are specifically for that reasoning.  make sure the game starts with 2 players thought or else you wont be able to move.

I could also teach you to fly :P

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

What the above poster said.

I also suggest getting a cheap JoyStick if you're really into Helicopters. If you ask all the best pilots, the ones who change the game, they ALL use Joysticks.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I have the X52 joystick and throttle.

Will they both work?  I am an avid flight simmer and have flown helicopters in FSX.

Here is my set up:

• SionedSioned Member UncommonPosts: 135

To learn to fly helicopter in bf3 is pretty easy.

First of all things if you fly with mouse you need to swap some controls - This was the fact in all BF Titles so far.

You need to change the Pitch control to your keyboard movement (left/right) - and you need to set the YAW control to your mouse X Axis. - Thats it - now you can choose to invert your mouse vertically or not your choice.

With this little config swap you will realise how easy it is to fly Jet or helicopter in BF. Joystick wont work for me - i still prefer mouse and keyboard.

Now for actual flight training. To get familiar with the heli flight - play the 2nd Coop mission a few times. It teaches you how to hover and the basic flight feeling.

Now you are ready to go to an actual low population server. Try to fly a bit around.

Helicopter flight training is getting tricky more and more. I fear that in a few weeks helicopter will be pretty much useless. Because more and more ppl learn how to use guided shells and javelin locks with laser targeting. And you cant defend against a laser locked missile. I currently destroy about 8 helicopters per conquest round on firestorm and caspian border - a 3 maned Tank fries every helicopter. Because the tank can be repaired while fighting. The heli cant so he loses :P

Originally posted by Sioned

To learn to fly helicopter in bf3 is pretty easy.

First of all things if you fly with mouse you need to swap some controls - This was the fact in all BF Titles so far.

You need to change the Pitch control to your keyboard movement (left/right) - and you need to set the YAW control to your mouse X Axis. - Thats it - now you can choose to invert your mouse vertically or not your choice.

With this little config swap you will realise how easy it is to fly Jet or helicopter in BF. Joystick wont work for me - i still prefer mouse and keyboard.

Now for actual flight training. To get familiar with the heli flight - play the 2nd Coop mission a few times. It teaches you how to hover and the basic flight feeling.

Now you are ready to go to an actual low population server. Try to fly a bit around.

Helicopter flight training is getting tricky more and more. I fear that in a few weeks helicopter will be pretty much useless. Because more and more ppl learn how to use guided shells and javelin locks with laser targeting. And you cant defend against a laser locked missile. I currently destroy about 8 helicopters per conquest round on firestorm and caspian border - a 3 maned Tank fries every helicopter. Because the tank can be repaired while fighting. The heli cant so he loses :P

Good point, but I have seen good pilots stay low and avoid the lock ons sometimes

• SionedSioned Member UncommonPosts: 135

To hit tanks you have to see them - so they can lock and shoot you down also.

Heli attacks first guided missle of heli hits tank.

Tank 3rd Person spots and locks heli. Tank 2nd Person checks if it possible to repair the tank because most of the time the heli is not able to attack again right after the first missle. Tank first person switches to guided shell.

Heli aproaches for second attack wave without tank repair he now needs just a few normal rocket hits. Most of the time Tank is repaired. Guided shell locks and moves at double the speed than the rocket. Guided shell hits heli down. Tank lives. About 80% it works like this.

in a one on one situation the heli will most likely loose. I love to fly helicopter and capture flags with it - but the heli just is too fragile. And over the last few days i noticed a huge increase on laser spotting. And with more ppl getting the unlocks for doing so it will increase for some time. Laser lock works through treelines so you can only hide behind solid objects.

Also you tend to get slower close to the ground which enables snipers to headshot you out of the helicopter - or RPG guys to just blow your heli to pieces.

I liked helicopters at the beginning but lately i tend towards tanks. much harder to crack open.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by mbd1968

This server was set up for practise, it's empty most of the time.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/a87fe8aa-d3ac-4f1f-a382-554134a53e19/GameFAQs-com-24-7-Conquest/

Thanks, I will check it out tonight!

What about jets?  I havent seen any yet

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

To fly a helicopter in BF3 seem easy enough, not so for flying a jet imo:

• Use the left/right key to properly turn as you bank your helicopter to either side, when wanting to swing either way to the side.

• To move forward, it is necessary to tilt forward alot (but not too much) while holding down the W key to give power to the engine(s).

• For hovering, if not moving forwards, one does not have to keep pressing the W key, else one would be rising upwards.

• If in forward motion, and at some sensible elevation, one can drop engine power to lower your elevation. This also works of course when loitering at height when the velocity of your helicopter is minimal.

• Having a gunner helps alot, to attack and defend yourself from soldiers on the ground firing missiles at your helicopter.

• If unlocked, you can use air to air missiles to hit jets in the nearby area, however the range is limited, so aquiring a  lock on a jet can be difficult.

• Take care to not fly too low, or you will crash into tree tops or structures and maybe loose control of the helicopter.

• If someone is trying to lock onto your helicopter with guided missiles, then you can try quickly flying out of the area, so they loose lock due an increasing of the distance between you.

• Like being a soldier, it might be a good idea to move around when flying a helicopter, else you might draw too much attention to yourself, loitering in the air somewhere. Perhaps it is a good idea to try flying into and out of the area to try having some control over your situation.

• Unlocking "stealth" on a helicopter might be a good idea.

• If someone has locked onto your helicopter with a guided missile, iirc you might try using the eh flare unlock (if fitted), this will prevent missiles from hitting your, and break the lock for some time I think, unless I am mistaken.