Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift - will I play it or it doesn't deserve my time

2»

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by popinjay

I'm going the other way. Rift is okay but simply too boring.

Playing RIFT for me simply because it's latest new mmo out is like choosing the next to last guy on the wall waiting for Dodgeball, and thinking you made out because you didn't get stuck with the worst guy.

Going to consoles until SWTOR and other mmos next year:

Battlefield 3

Gears of War 3

Rage

Dark Souls

Deus Ex: HR

Resistance 3

Batman: Arkham City

etc, etc.. just too many new games (and old ones I didn't try yet like Witcher 2 still) to pay for an average mmos right now.

You are about go play a whole crap ton of FPS games, then try and transition back into ToR and not think you might run into issues?

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Puremallace

Playing RIFT for me simply because it's latest new mmo out is like choosing the next to last guy on the wall waiting for Dodgeball, and thinking you made out because you didn't get stuck with the worst guy.

Battlefield 3

Gears of War 3

Rage

Dark Souls

Resistance 3

etc, etc.. just too many new games (and old ones I didn't try yet like Witcher 2 still) to pay for an average mmos right now.

You are about go play a whole crap ton of FPS games, then try and transition back into ToR and not think you might run into issues?

You should worry more about Dark Souls

After playing Dark Souls, or complete it, you would wonder why all MMO is so kiddy style.

But persoanlly I don't have much problem with Bioware's style of hotkey combat after playing action/fps combat, as long as they don't make me have to put skills into any hotkey 6 and beyond. 

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

The game is outstanding.  Something for everyone.

Try out the free trial on Byriel server - look for Octavian, its more fum with a guild.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Puremallace

Battlefield 3
    Gears of War 3
    Rage
    Dark Souls
    Resistance 3

Issues?
  • Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I did the trial last week and bought the game. I have no regrets. I see the influence of what went before but seems Trion took what was fun from different games and made it work. I am having a lot of fun with it.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

After few weeks, i was getting so confused about all the game features, so... i gave up!

I know i should give a try all over the territory, crafts, and more, but the Rift marketing politics are a bit strange for a so recent game. I think that's not normal all those updates, when we know what we should have from one, buumm, there's another.

As a friend of mine (Jabas) said, this happened in WoW after few Years, not months. So, that's ok for who likes it and got the time for it, i dont ^-^

Call it "Plastic Game"?! Hummm, maybe not but almost like junk food!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by lordathon

After few weeks, i was getting so confused about all the game features, so... i gave up!

I know i should give a try all over the territory, crafts, and more, but the Rift marketing politics are a bit strange for a so recent game. I think that's not normal all those updates, when we know what we should have from one, buumm, there's another.

As a friend of mine (Jabas) said, this happened in WoW after few Years, not months. So, that's ok for who likes it and got the time for it, i dont ^-^

Call it "Plastic Game"?! Hummm, maybe not but almost like junk food!

There is something wrong with frequent patches that fixes problem?

Frequent content updates is junk food? I don't understand. I get RIFT isn't the best game out, but frequent updates is almost the best thing about it. It means your monthly fee actually goes somewhere.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

To answer your thread title, Its worth a go.  I believe it has a free trial, so you don't really lose anything by trying it.  Based on some of the questions you were asking, I think it might be a good fit for you.  I didn't really care for it, so I didn't play for very long.  Others can give you more detailed answers to your questions.  But my advice is give it a try.

I self identify as a monkey.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I just quit a couple a days ago after 5 weeks in the game, I'm mostly a solo player but enjoy the ocational dungeon run as long as it dosent take too long (1-2h tops). The reason I play MMO's instead of single player games is that I can sell my loot to other players and craft which gives a new dimension than in solo games. 

The biggest problem I had was that I got incredible tired of the same booring quests, majority are just kill or pickup some item quest, over can over again. In the 40 range you need 200-300k exp each level while a single quest only rewards you with 4-5k exp. There can be quite a level distance between dungeons, the last one I did started at level 42 and the next didnt start untill level 48, so that's 6 levels. I ran the 42 dungeon probably 10 times, after that I was sick of it, and tried to quest up, but got so tired that I quit at 47.

Although Rift is a nice game and everything is working more or less, some systems are 10 years old. The combat system,  and quest system is basicly identical to 10 year old mmo's. Most games these days go for voiced quests, such as AOC tried back in 2008 and Star wars and TSW will do with the entire game now. Also the variation in quest types is just far too low. The game desperatly need to have unique scripted quests inbetween.

I also had trouble with the economy. Most stuff seem to be token based, and there isnt all that much to buy at the trader. Many categories are completly empty at the trader. There's for example no recipes for crafting to buy, I think this is done to combat gold sellers, but it also creates a smaller ingame economy which ruined parts of the game for me. I basicly couldnt find anything to purchase with my money that I wanted.

I did collect artifatcs for a while but eventualy realised that there was no good rewards for me from artifacts as far as I could see atleast and eventually stopped collecting and just sold the artifacts, although I think it's a nice idea. It does reward people who like to explore.

The Rift system is working so,so. I watched youtube videos of Rift before trying the trial and then the rifts were supposed to be a PVE competition and the player who contributed most would get better loot. Today it dosent work like that at all, you'll basicly get the same loot as everyone else as long as you attend. This also go for invasions, as far as I can see you get the same loot as everyone else if you just turn up for the last boss. Those who kill the smaller objectives will only get the normal loot from each objective extra no extra epic shards for example.

Originally posted by paul43

I just quit a couple a days ago after 5 weeks in the game, I'm mostly a solo player but enjoy the ocational dungeon run as long as it dosent take too long (1-2h tops). The reason I play MMO's instead of single player games is that I can sell my loot to other players and craft which gives a new dimension than in solo games. 

The biggest problem I had was that I got incredible tired of the same booring quests, majority are just kill or pickup some item quest, over can over again. In the 40 range you need 200-300k exp each level while a single quest only rewards you with 4-5k exp. There can be quite a level distance between dungeons, the last one I did started at level 42 and the next didnt start untill level 48, so that's 6 levels. I ran the 42 dungeon probably 10 times, after that I was sick of it, and tried to quest up, but got so tired that I quit at 47.

Although Rift is a nice game and everything is working more or less, some systems are 10 years old. The combat system,  and quest system is basicly identical to 10 year old mmo's. Most games these days go for voiced quests, such as AOC tried back in 2008 and Star wars and TSW will do with the entire game now. Also the variation in quest types is just far too low. The game desperatly need to have unique scripted quests inbetween.

I also had trouble with the economy. Most stuff seem to be token based, and there isnt all that much to buy at the trader. Many categories are completly empty at the trader. There's for example no recipes for crafting to buy, I think this is done to combat gold sellers, but it also creates a smaller ingame economy which ruined parts of the game for me. I basicly couldnt find anything to purchase with my money that I wanted.

I did collect artifatcs for a while but eventualy realised that there was no good rewards for me from artifacts as far as I could see atleast and eventually stopped collecting and just sold the artifacts, although I think it's a nice idea. It does reward people who like to explore.

I left the game at just over 4 weeks myself. The only thing I could find that I would consider bad was the dungeon finder. It is next to worthless for someone playing  a DPS  toon. Other than that, im not sure what, but something just seems to be missing from the game. Perhaps its as you say, its nothing we havnt done before?  I love the graphics and the game play is smooth. I dont know. There is a good chance I will resub at some point and try it againi after more is added, but I just didnt feel the pull to log on and play like I have in other games.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by Rusty715

I left the game at just over 4 weeks myself. The only thing I could find that I would consider bad was the dungeon finder. It is next to worthless for someone playing  a DPS  toon. Other than that, im not sure what, but something just seems to be missing from the game. Perhaps its as you say, its nothing we havnt done before?  I love the graphics and the game play is smooth. I dont know. There is a good chance I will resub at some point and try it againi after more is added, but I just didnt feel the pull to log on and play like I have in other games.

Better take that quote out of your sig now. :)

Because...yeah.

Originally posted by Fozzik

Because...yeah.

That quote is golden. Pick a game and there will be a massive amount of trolls telling you how it sucks.  As for Rift, would you care to show me where I stated it sucks? I leave that up to the professional haters. You know the type I mean? Those that just wont rest until they have convinced the world that they are the only ones who know quality? Myself, ive said my piece about Rift and am quite able to move on. You and a few others should try it sometime, its quite liberating.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by Fozzik

Because...yeah.

That quote is golden. Pick a game and there will be a massive amount of trolls telling you how it sucks.  As for Rift, would you care to show me where I stated it sucks? I leave that up to the professional haters. You know the type I mean? Those that just wont rest until they have convinced the world that they are the only ones who know quality? Myself, ive said my piece about Rift and am quite able to move on. You and a few others should try it sometime, its quite liberating.

You want to know what's truly liberating? Being right. You should try it sometime.

Welcome to the "Rift is lacking" club...some of us have been here since beta. Even if you're a silent member, we'll all still know you're here. Don't worry, though. We understand you didn't quit the game because a "hater" told you to...you arrived at it all on your own through much more lucid and objective reasoning than anyone else. *rolleyes*

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

MMOs are sort of tiring me out, but i'm still subbed to Rift, as it's my mmo noww.

I've been playing since like day 3 or so, gamestop fucked my pre-order up.

I took it verrrry slow and casual, got to 50 after like 6 months. Some weeks I didn't even play, towards the end when I found out a friend had it, and was higher level I started to put more time into it.

I like Rifts, they're chill. They're better then Warhammer's PQ because there is more variety and more rewarding IMO. I like being able to group up and do a raid out in the open world, not having to run into an instances. 

Warfronts are nice, however due to the great difference between a rank 1 and 8, you'll get crapped on.

Macro system is done very nicely.

Scenary is amazing, absolutely amazing.

I played wow for 4 years, and I'll probably play it once again, however I don't plan on canceling my Rift sub anytime soon, unless they stop putting out these patches. 

Rift

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Rift is just a boring grindfest, only the soul system is cool.