Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"...greater the opportunity to also generate income and have a long tail behind Diablo"

2»

Comments

• lynshakelynshake Member Posts: 26

hmm ,does it have a big step with diablo2?about pvp auction house

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by marinrider 

Except I dont buy anything from cash shops, I dont buy games on day 1 that are obviously underdeveloped (like Portal 2 with less than 10 hours of content) or dragon age 2 with DLC's on the first day.  I dont keep my sub when I'm not playing to "support the game" like the MO fanbase thinks people should do.  I always buy boxed copies of games because the game price shouldnt be the same if your only giving me a download.  How am I the perfect customer because I'm against companies going back on things they say?  

Yes you don't buy from the cash shop but how will you be precieved in the game by the one's that do.  Will they look down at you, maybe call you a leacher (we know how bad communities can be),  will you feel pressured into buying stuff just so you fit in and look elite. 

Thats how cash shops tend to work.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by laserit

Once upon a time there was a thing called ethics. Now a days it is quite plain to see that Blizzard and many other companies have lost theirs.

At one time it was "how much money should we take from our customers" and now its " how much money can we take from our customers"

Today's corporate culture at its finest.

See, you get my point.  It has not always been like it is now with most companies.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

WoW indirectly made the MMO industry crappy (it was really the massive amounts of ignorance by the media and people who didnt even know about online games let alone MMOs), but i think blizzards pretty smart. Its a bussiness that needs to make cash. the point of a bussiness is to grow. After developing a game for so long, someone's deep in the negatives and box sales these days just dont cut it. DLC and buying virtual stuff is and has been since the early/mid 2000's, the new thing.

It sucks when it's done wrong, but I'm sure (not really) game devs will learn to do it right.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Once upon a time there was a thing called ethics. Now a days it is quite plain to see that Blizzard and many other companies have lost theirs.

At one time it was "how much money should we take from our customers" and now its " how much money can we take from our customers"

More of the blame can be placed upon the consumer because the consumer isn't reacting to the problems you perceive.  For-profit companies will make as much as they can regardless of the perceived ethics.  Money drives change, if they felt that consumers would monetarily revolt, they would change.

It's the same issue with politics, people love to blame the people in office but the buck stops with the voters.  If the voters are stupid enough to, for example: party-line vote, they fail to see where the real responsibility lies.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Quesa

Any for-profit company will charge as much as they can until there is a point at which they lose more money at a higher price vs. a lower.

Stop making QQ threads about specific companies and being so naive to think no other company would do the exact same thing if they could.  This doesn't make Blizzard the Devil, it just means they are better at marketing than other companies.

Getting a B or higher in both Macro and Micro Econ should be mandatory prior to obtaining a drivers license and a cell phone.

What's naive is believing the spin Blizzard put on this.  Remember when it was all about the best interests of their customers?  How it would combat gold sellers and make everyone's experience better?  That was the cover story and a lame one at that.  I thought it was pretty transparent, but apparently many bought into it.

This has always been about squeezing more cash out of gamers.  I don't begrudge them for trying.  It's what businesses do.  I reserve my scorn for the drooling multitudes who not only agreed to it, but defended it .  Gamers are the only consumers who beg their suppliers to charge them more for their product.  Not even drug addicts are that irrational.  What a bunch of suckers.

It's the same level of naivety that people have when they look at ANet as a white night in the MMO world because of their payment model.   They are both there to make the most money they can within the limits accepted by the consumer.

Maybe some day people will understand that it's not the companies fault for their perceived or apparent lack of "ethics" or "care and attention to the consumer".  It's the fault of the consumers that put up with it and, quire bluntly, vote for that behavior every time they pull out their plastic to pay for the product.

Originally posted by stayontarget

Except I dont buy anything from cash shops, I dont buy games on day 1 that are obviously underdeveloped (like Portal 2 with less than 10 hours of content) or dragon age 2 with DLC's on the first day.  I dont keep my sub when I'm not playing to "support the game" like the MO fanbase thinks people should do.  I always buy boxed copies of games because the game price shouldnt be the same if your only giving me a download.  How am I the perfect customer because I'm against companies going back on things they say?  

Yes you don't buy from the cash shop but how will you be precieved in the game by the one's that do.  Will they look down at you, maybe call you a leacher (we know how bad communities can be),  will you feel pressured into buying stuff just so you fit in and look elite. 

Thats how cash shops tend to work.

I've never encountered anything like that.  And its hard to be a leecher in a B2P game because I bought my box like everyone else, I've payed my enterance fee.  And I understand those how many seem to be but if a game goes to that extent then I have no reason to play it.  There are other games to play, or even other real world things to do.  For me personally, I would rather buy an extra large pizza than an extra large sword.  

But I get what your saying here.  But in a game, when people start to look down on you because you dont buy the crap from the cash shop, then its time to find a different game (one with a better community!).

More of the blame can be placed upon the consumer because the consumer isn't reacting to the problems you perceive.  For-profit companies will make as much as they can regardless of the perceived ethics.  Money drives change, if they felt that consumers would monetarily revolt, they would change.

It's the same issue with politics, people love to blame the people in office but the buck stops with the voters.  If the voters are stupid enough to, for example: party-line vote, they fail to see where the real responsibility lies.

Just like Eve and the $70 monacle?  People cried out against that and it doesnt seem like CCP has done anything other than lay people off and then scrap a project they have been promsing for years (that was going to be what the monacle was used for).  CCP wanted money, and they thought the customer was wrong in telling them it was a bad idea.

I agree with the politics statement for the most part, but I'm not even going think about getting into that here. No point.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

It seems more like a solution to fix rampant bot issues and the fact d2 items are actually sold a lot online. Sure, call it an 'easy' solution but I think its a good idea. It helps to limit game advertisement and limits the growth those companies are able to make. Add in the profit it generates blizzard, its by far not a bad practice. My only issue is that it essencially lets you 'legally' buy power... but considering the nation of the diabo games, its not such a huge deal, speciall considering this has been going on in D2 just in back door ways.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Purutzil

It seems more like a solution to fix rampant bot issues and the fact d2 items are actually sold a lot online. Sure, call it an 'easy' solution but I think its a good idea. It helps to limit game advertisement and limits the growth those companies are able to make. Add in the profit it generates blizzard, its by far not a bad practice. My only issue is that it essencially lets you 'legally' buy power... but considering the nation of the diabo games, its not such a huge deal, speciall considering this has been going on in D2 just in back door ways.

Sorry, but no. This doesn't do anything to combat gold sellers or companies selling items for real money. In fact this will most likely make the problem worse.

All this does is allow item sellers free reign just as long as Blizzard gets a little slice off of the top.

Yeah, I wouldnt say its a major reason to not get the game if the actual buying is what bugs you because you can just play solo or with friends you know dont support the RMAH.  And I know that its been going on in D2 which is why I wouldn't have as much a problem with it if blizz would just take the cut to keep it running and thats all, but I've stated my opinions on that in previous posts here.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Unlight

Any for-profit company will charge as much as they can until there is a point at which they lose more money at a higher price vs. a lower.

Stop making QQ threads about specific companies and being so naive to think no other company would do the exact same thing if they could.  This doesn't make Blizzard the Devil, it just means they are better at marketing than other companies.

Getting a B or higher in both Macro and Micro Econ should be mandatory prior to obtaining a drivers license and a cell phone.

What's naive is believing the spin Blizzard put on this.  Remember when it was all about the best interests of their customers?  How it would combat gold sellers and make everyone's experience better?  That was the cover story and a lame one at that.  I thought it was pretty transparent, but apparently many bought into it.

This has always been about squeezing more cash out of gamers.  I don't begrudge them for trying.  It's what businesses do.  I reserve my scorn for the drooling multitudes who not only agreed to it, but defended it .  Gamers are the only consumers who beg their suppliers to charge them more for their product.  Not even drug addicts are that irrational.  What a bunch of suckers.

With D3 I didnt buy for a second what they where trying to sell about it being for the player. But I am also not going to condem Blizzard for doing an RMAH either. If I planned on playing D3 online (which I dont except maybe with RL friends) I simply wouldnt buy the game for the advantage someone would have with the RMAH.

Blizzard is like every other company out there. They want to make money. Anyone who damns them for it is pretty dumb. Now I will admit I did damn them for there cosmetic cash shop in WoW and cancled my sub isntantly. However I also realise they KNEW they would make more money on thoes sales alone than the small number of subs they would lose for doing it. Because of that I have to say they did the right thing. Why would they give 2 shits about my sub when they made MILLIONS off digital pets ontop of the subs who stayed?

Its simple. If you dont like what a company is doing speak with your money. Sure the game may be awesome but if you dont want to support RMAH's then DONT. Show some self restraint and just dont.

I will say this. If I was in there position I would do the same damn thing. Hmmm lets see...I can make less money and keep a few people from hateing me or I can make a massive amount more and piss off a handfull of people. I like money so I will take option 2.

Just like Eve and the $70 monacle?  People cried out against that and it doesnt seem like CCP has done anything other than lay people off and then scrap a project they have been promsing for years (that was going to be what the monacle was used for).  CCP wanted money, and they thought the customer was wrong in telling them it was a bad idea.

I agree with the politics statement for the most part, but I'm not even going think about getting into that here. No point.

Your Eve Online is a perfect example of my point.  A company did something that the consumers didn't like, the consumers voted by canceling subs, the company changed it's direction.  Thanks for that.

Also, monacle-gate wasn't really the reason all this went down.  It was CCP's focus on new shinies over polish that got them into trouble.  They also overextended their cash supply by trying to maintain EO and developing 2 new games. Companies push back or cancel development of projects all the time, that has more to do with capital than anything else.  They also didn't say they were scrapping WoD or Dust, just delaying them.

I think you are just making stuff up now.

Your Eve Online is a perfect example of my point.  A company did something that the consumers didn't like, the consumers voted by canceling subs, the company changed it's direction.  Thanks for that.

Also, monacle-gate wasn't really the reason all this went down.  It was CCP's focus on new shinies over polish that got them into trouble.  They also overextended their cash supply by trying to maintain EO and developing 2 new games. Companies push back or cancel development of projects all the time, that has more to do with capital than anything else.  They also didn't say they were scrapping WoD or Dust, just delaying them.

They got angry at the monocle, not the idea of Incarna, a lot of people wanted incarna.  People complained about the fact that a pair of pants in game cost more than a real life pair of pants.  Nice twisting my words.

And I dont mean scraping WoD or Dust, I mean scraping Incarna.  They basically have said they would add the other racial captains quarters and put back in ship spinning and then move onto other ideas instead of Incarna.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by romanator0

Sorry, but no. This doesn't do anything to combat gold sellers or companies selling items for real money. In fact this will most likely make the problem worse.

All this does is allow item sellers free reign just as long as Blizzard gets a little slice off of the top.

Kind of. In F2P games that let people sell items from the AH the gold sellers are still there. They just sell it for less than what people are getting by selling the cash shop items.

In D3 they wont be any worse than they would have been before. Its just now you will see gold spam from ASDLX and go to the auction house and see ASDLX has 300 items up for sale.

I just dont think it will actually make it worse because the gold sellers would be there regardless. It will however hurt your everyday regular player that may find an uberbadass item they dont want. Without gold sellers they could make a decent amount of RL money for it. With gold sellers they will think yay but in reality the gold sellers will have farmed 10 of them and undercut the regular player by 10% to make sure they make money.

They got angry at the monocle, not the idea of Incarna, a lot of people wanted incarna.  People complained about the fact that a pair of pants in game cost more than a real life pair of pants.  Nice twisting my words.

And I dont mean scraping WoD or Dust, I mean scraping Incarna.  They basically have said they would add the other racial captains quarters and put back in ship spinning and then move onto other ideas instead of Incarna.

Incarna was the beast that got all of this new EO stuff started.  Incarna was supposed to be great but ended up being nothing but hype and fluff.  An item from the cash shop which seen for .01% of the time a pilot is in the game didn't create this huge refocus.  The cash shop was a small portion of the problem but not one that had as much impact in the change in the development path as people try to make it out.  I would think differently if the host of proposed changes had more than one or two mentions about the cash shop in it.

They are basically giving the pilot the option to ship-spin.  Incarna isn't being removed.  Alot of the up and coming changes are things that have been asked for since the games birth.

also there show that the game have real money trade auction this was different from another game this an advance  i think anybody who like this can have try an who do not like can try another way of auction

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Icewhite

“The general acceptance of gamers for a different type of business model has increased substantially over time. We’re really looking for upper benchmarks outside of currently relevant microtransaction-based games so those trends have been very encouraging,” continued Tippl. But for us, we’ll have to see what happens when we get into the marketplace. If we didn’t think there was a significant opportunity, we wouldn’t be doing it.”

Translation: "You suckers gave us a few Inches, now we're looking for the Mile."

Smells like Kotick, talks like Kotick, dreams like Kotick.  Stinks of SoE too. 

P2W Cash Shop in WoW by the end of 2012?

wow is already pay to win by botting 6 accounts to farm pve and sell money or get top rank in arena with your bot team of the fotm class.

this auction house system is very good .It make this game different from another games and make  trade method have more choose. this method can make trade be more  easy.

• nschnsch Member Posts: 32

Hmm i think if u really  want play this game u can just enjoy the game  do not think about some item in game u feel unconferable .each game company  just profit come first .For player just enjoy the game and have fun will be ok not  in game can be pefect.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

"Profit" is very vague.  The profit they make from the RMAH will be extremely minimal compared to the profit they make from box sales and WoW subs.  Probably just enough to help with server maintenance on battle.net which is a free of charge service for hosting Diablo & Starcraft games.  Another thing people seem to forget.

• nschnsch Member Posts: 32

yeah Profit" is very vague so we do not need to mind this  while we enjoy ourself in game .forgot the profit and enjoy ingame