Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back, EQX or paid?

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

I enjoy heavy populations in my games.

I can afford to pay for the sub . but im not sure if the population is that healthy atm.

I can also go to the free server and pay for top membership, would that offer me the same feature as paid for with a higher population?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

this was recently asked less than a week ago

and rather than repeat the discussion - heres the link

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/330616/EQ2X-vs-EQ2.html

both are available free to try

http://www.everquest2.com/choose_your_path

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

That depends on which race you want.  EQ2X will offer you all of the same features that Live does, called the Gold Package, but you are restricted to four races (Barbarian, Human, Erudite and Half Elf).  The official website has a matrix with the difference in EQ2X packages.

As far as population goes it depends on what time you play.  There are Live servers that report healthy numbers, especially in the top level range.  When I did my survey however anything outside max level for my play time was not promising.

I would suggest getting the EQ2 Live 14 day trial and pitting one against the other.  It might seem like a waste of time but if EQ2 grabs you like it does most then the amount of time you spent will afterward seem very small in comparison. 

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

ty for the info

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

If you want a heavy population your only choice is Eq2X especially if you don't have a max level character to go back to. Live servers are completely dead at the low levels with a small population at the level cap. The Eq2X server is full of players at all levels.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by Novusod

If you want a heavy population your only choice is Eq2X especially if you don't have a max level character to go back to. Live servers are completely dead at the low levels with a small population at the level cap. The Eq2X server is full of players at all levels.

Bullshit. I made an acc on EQ2X to see if it really is so swarming with players  ;D

Well, not at all. A little more players if you do the zone search (/who). But not by much.

And if you understand that more than half of them are free players, i'd say a healthy Live server, like Antonia Bayle is much better option.

on EQ2X:

Restricted players can't use chat.

Only "Gold" members (gold membership is same as on Live, $15) can buy and sell on the broker, that means they can't contribute to the economy, stuff on the broker is more expensive, since there's less players that can sell or buy and also there are less things to buy overall.

Restricted players also can't use legendary and fabled armor, which makes grouping and going throu content harder.

Restricted players can only have what.. Adept grade spells? Which also makes harder to defeat any content if they're in your group.

Restricted players are forced to have AA slider at 50%.

Free players have problems creating groups, because they can't announce it in general chats. etc etc.

If you want to pay subscription - definitely choose a healthy Live server, if you don't, well, the choice is obvious then.

I think both services offer value -- altho live server are more financially economical

should be noted that on EQ2X  paying one time fee of 10.00

Silver can use chat, expert spells,  buy from broker

since Game update 61 (august)

treasured gear under level 85 is almost as good as legendary .. gear is no issue at all for leveling

Originally posted by EverSkelly

Bullshit. I made an acc on EQ2X to see if it really is so swarming with players  ;D

Well, not at all. A little more players if you do the zone search (/who). But not by much.

And if you understand that more than half of them are free players, i'd say a healthy Live server, like Antonia Bayle is much better option.

on EQ2X:

Restricted players can't use chat.

Only "Gold" members (gold membership is same as on Live, $15) can buy and sell on the broker, that means they can't contribute to the economy, stuff on the broker is more expensive, since there's less players that can sell or buy and also there are less things to buy overall.

Restricted players also can't use legendary and fabled armor, which makes grouping and going throu content harder.

Restricted players can only have what.. Adept grade spells? Which also makes harder to defeat any content if they're in your group.

Restricted players are forced to have AA slider at 50%.

Free players have problems creating groups, because they can't announce it in general chats. etc etc.

If you want to pay subscription - definitely choose a healthy Live server, if you don't, well, the choice is obvious then.

Desparate much? Why lie when reaching sever select will show the truth about the state of the live servers.

None of the paid servers are healthy and the only two servers that have moderate population it is all top heavy characters at cap. Low level zones are ghost towns even on AB.

As for pricing Eq2X is the better deal too because unlike live you don't have to buy a Box Copy of the game to play.

Paid Server = $40 Retail Box + $15/month recuring sub = $55 and more if you play for more than one month

Eq2X Server = $10 Silver to use chat and broker extra bags+(Optional  $7.50 race pack +$7.50 class pack) + $5 gear unlock tokens = so even with all the bells and wistles it is only $30 and no aditional costs

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

None of the paid servers are healthy and the only two servers that have moderate population it is all top heavy characters at cap. Low level zones are ghost towns even on AB.

Just wanted to say this is a load of crap.  AB has a healthy population and its not dead for low levels at all.  Zones wont be teeming with life, but ghost town is not accurate either.  And getting a group for a dungeon or instance is *not* hard at all, provided you are willing to take the initiative and set it up.

Originally posted by EverSkelly

They can use expert spells and MC armor which is far more than enough needed for any leveling content.  FAR more.

Originally posted by rubydragon5

I can also go to the free server and pay for top membership, would that offer me the same feature as paid for with a higher population?

To answer this question:

The absolute top membership (platinum) does indeed get you everything live gets, +500 station cash a month + any expansion content (you dont have to buy expansions, but if you drop down to gold or silver youll lose access to the most recent one unless you buy it)

Gold membership is identical to eq2 live monthly except you dont have access to all the races, which are unlocked for 7.50 per set of four (if you wat for double station cash days you can unlock em all for $15)

As for pricing Eq2X is the better deal too because unlike live you don't have to buy a Box Copy of the game to play.

EQ2Live does not need the box -- only need to subscribe from the trial

http://eq2wire.com/2011/08/25/everquest-ii-launches-free-14-day-trial/

Unlike those past trials, this one is a full 14 days and allows starting in any of the four current starting cities, as well as providing players access to every expansion except Destiny of Velious.

EQ2Live is as cheap as 10.00 a month if you pay for a year in advance

http://www.soe.com/gamepass/

both services have benefits

but theres no question that EQ2Live is cheaper for subscribers with its multimonth discounts

Originally posted by teakbois

Gold membership is identical to eq2 live monthly except you dont have access to all the races, which are unlocked for 7.50 per set of four (if you wait for double station cash days you can unlock em all for $15)

agree - racepacks are 7.50 for set of 3

you can unlock them all for 30.00 (or 15.00 w x2 SC)

personally, I'm a gold member whos raids 90 content on EQ2X and I'm aware of the advantages the Live servers offer

both AB and Crushbone are popular live servers

- not as many low level players as EQ2X but not dead either

Age of Discovery is launching w a new class in the next 3-5 weeks

some players will powerlevel it but all live servers will see increased low level activity

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It depends on what you want.    If you want more people while you're low level, EQ2x will have more.

If you want more (and better) people at cap, you want to go to a live server.  Fact is, if you don't like ONE live server, there are 10 others to go to, with 300+ raiding guilds to choose from.  If you're on EQ2x, you have choice of 10 guilds, most of which aren't very good.  The #1 guild on the EQ2x server is #62 worldwide. 

(source:  http://eq2.guildprogress.com/  )

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

With Lineage II (EU) kinda death now, I decided to return to EQ2 as well. On the EU server Splitpaw I have a ~36 character and on EQ2X I have ...well nothing special...

Dispite the level ~36 char on Splitpaw, and Splitpaw heaving medium load at peak hours, I did restart on EQ2X. Main reason to do so is the healthy low-level population there, where on Splitpaw (and I think most EQ2Live servers) you won't see many players to party with up to level 60 or so (unless things have changed dramatically with the new dungeon finter). ALso latency wise, it won't matter too much. Somehow SOE is having EU servers in the US as well - ping of both EQ2X and Splitpaw was ~400 (F11 - EQ2's own measurement).

IMO, if OP has an active subscription and doesn't mind to play one of the neutral races, I'd advice to start on EQ2X...

if you like pvp, live servers are better

- cross server battlegrounds

- pvp server, Nagafen

EQ2X has some BG pvp in the 30-39 level bracket but its limited to its own server

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

In my opinion if you really want to experince EQ2 completely go paid. That is where the hassle free fun really is. And roll on AB server and send tell to Faizal. I will help you in any way i can.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Population definately rules in the EQ2X side of things.  I've also read of many long-time pay2play customers rerolling on the freemium servers just to find some more folks to play with.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

As many have said, all depends what you play MMORPG's for in determining where to play.

If its high end raiding or PVP, Live servers are way to go without a doubt.

If its to have more of a "new game" feel, where many around you aren't experts, and learning how to play the game as it might have been more in the early days, than the Extended server is the place to be.

There are many drawbacks of course (dungeon finder isn't cross server, PVP is almost non-existent) but I've been enjoying my time there but then my goals in a MMORPG are a bit different.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Nadia, i like your posts. Even though you play on EQ2X, you don't seem to be biased at all and provide just a good, solid, helpful information.

I can also add that, in my opinion, community on Live servers, especially AB, is better than on EQ2X.

I try not to hold a bias and while SOE leaves me with mixed feelings, I like their game EQ2

everyone should try it

the EQ2Live trial will let you try all races/classes with no fees

http://www.everquest2.com/choose_your_path/

may be pleasantly surprised

the game has seen *many* changes since launch

clarifier: freeblood (vampire race) is a cashshop only race

annoying but thats SOE sometimes heh

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

For a while there I was contemplating coming back but got caught up in watching Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9 again and I started playing some Might and Magic Heroes VI and then Friday Night Lights the whole series caught my attention. I also continued playing DDO and Guildwars. So now with Skyrim looming and SWTOR beyond that I have given up thinking about it.

The reason is simple I have all my characters the highest a level 63 on Unrest I think since it was in Najena and so many crafters the server has a light pop from that server status post. If I start again I will need to make the crafters again and the carpenter which is a must since housing in EQ2 was the high point for me in EQ 2. I just do not have enough time before SWTOR. I just waited too long so am settling for some Lord of the Rings War in the North in the meantime.

I think my own opinion if I do start again the low levels the possibility of grouping will be what draws me to a server and in that case that will be the EQ2X but since I want to craft too the resource gathering will be crowded in EQ2X and that means I might just go to AB instead since the monthly sub has never been a consideration in every freemium game I always sub might as well go live. Why the hell will it not let me space my paragraphs ?

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

I started playing some Might and Magic Heroes VI

I think my own opinion if I do start again the low levels the possibility of grouping will be what draws me to a server and in that case that will be the EQ2X but since I want to craft too the resource gathering will be crowded in EQ2X and that means I might just go to AB instead since the monthly sub has never been a consideration in every freemium game I always sub might as well go live. Why the hell will it not let me space my paragraphs ?

offtopic but ive been having fun w HOMM6 too

I never found any issues with EQ2X resource gathering under level 50 (I didnt tradeskill beyond 50)

as mentioned earlier, all servers will be seeing many beastlords once the expansion hits

should hopefully be more details tomorrow (tuesday)  for price and release date

I guess this debate is moot now that that paid service is going away.