Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new mount video, Asian style art, and the Western MMO gamer.

pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Is it just me or do the non-horse mounts in this game look ridiculous? i.e. the jar jar binks / bunny ears mount and the "horseless carriage" thing.

I was already put off by the anime cat people.

How do you, as a western MMO fan, react when you see this style of Asian/Anime artistic direction in a MMORPG?

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

if you dont like it dont play it :)

for me its looking good enough so far, nothing that turns of me off yet.

but we have to wait till it gets closer to release to see how it turns out with alot of stuff.

in the meantime GW2 is my bright star in the world of darkness ^^

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Was fine with the horseless carriages, gliders, cats, and the rest... but yeah, the Jar Jar'ish mount... I spit my soda out laughing.  You really have to see the video of the mount to do it justice - reading Jar Jar and trying to picture it, lol - just does not do it justice.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Well i hate asian style toons and worlds...so yeah those kind of mounts look silly, i dont identify miself at all with asian mmorpgs...

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

It's definitely something I'll tolerate if the game mechanics are great...but, yeah, seriously, they ride on top of the gliders?

Found it on YouTube (did not want to link to the vids at another MMO site).

The Yata Mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbNDsu_XIU

• spoononespoonone Member UncommonPosts: 40

I prefer the asian art but the chinese themed games are whole different story.   Please stop publishing them, I beg of you.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It looks like a cross between a donkey and a kangaroo. I kind of like it, although I can see how others wouldn't.
  • PerlmuxxedPerlmuxxed Member UncommonPosts: 8

I was never a fan of SW so i don't care if it looks like jar jar or what ever.

Have you seen the detail of animation of that thing? It looks awesome... You can really feel the weight of that beeing. So yeah GW2 till ArcheAge is out and then we will see.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Don't mind about the mounts, what I am scared of is overly, "beautifull young people" looks in characters. Seems the average character in many Asian mmorpgs are 19 years old, don't have to shave yet and are professional models next to their sit-com carreers. Also the overly designed gothy clothing in games like Aion I really dislike.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I thought it looked pretty good.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

That's some awesome animation but no it looks pretty cool, most certainly not a badass warmount but is reasonable enough.

As to the person complaining about people ontop of gliders... don't play if small things like that bother you so much.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Today I learned Jar Jar originated in Asia....but people will go to every and all extents to find things to pick on..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Goofy stuff entertains me, so I don't have any problem with stuff like that in my MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I'm not a huge fan of overly weird looking mounts either (unless it's a giant bird with a cool song) but it's hardly a deal breaker to me. I'm more interested in whether or not different mounts have different benefits or if they are race specific.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Goofy stuff entertains me, so I don't have any problem with stuff like that in my MMOs.

I knew it also reminded me of something else... The Neverending Story.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Pocahinha

Well i hate asian style toons and worlds...so yeah those kind of mounts look silly, i dont identify miself at all with asian mmorpgs...

Do you know how pathetic you sound? why are you even following AA if you are so put off by anything Asian. AA dose not need the US to be a hit as a matter of fact name me any western mmos that are being made that even come close to what AA is offering.

You can't..
  • Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Do you know how pathetic you sound? why are you even following AA if you are so put off by anything Asian. AA dose not need the US to be a hit as a matter of fact name me any western mmos that are being made that even come close to what AA is offering. You can't..

Defensive much?  She was responding to the question asked in the OP, which is how do we feel about the Asian/anime art style in mmorpgs.  She stated she doesn't like it, and you go into a rant about how successful AA is going to be because of all it offers.  Try staying on topic, please.  

Anyway, back to the actual topic of the thread:  I am definitely NOT a fan of the Asian/anime art style that Eastern MMOs have.  There seems to be this unhealthy obsession with scantily clad, big-breasted teenage girls, cutesy furry animal races, and tails...always with the freakin' tails...even on humanoid races.  I also can't stand the overly ginormous weapons that they tote around.  The combat animations also generally annoy me, as I always feel like I am watching myself play a match of Street Fighter instead of an actual MMO.  I realize there won't be a ton of realism with any fantasy MMO combat, but c'mon...some of the animations are flat out ridiculous.  A spinning pirrouette and triple Lutz half -gainer just to swing your sword?  

Eh...that being said, the Asian art influence in Archeage doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as many Asian MMOs that I've seen.  The character models still have freakin' tails...grrrrr....but the overall look of the game isn't too crazy.  The Jar Jar mount looks absolutely idiotic, but it's certainly not going to be a deal breaker for me.  Just gimme a damn horse and I'm happy.  And the actual game world is stunningly beautiful.  I'm keeping an eye on this game, hoping against hope that it won't be your typical Asian grindfest with convoluted systems and minigames, ridiculous combat, and overall shallow gameplay.  Fingers crossed.

Originally posted by spoonone

I prefer the asian art but the chinese themed games are whole different story.   Please stop publishing them, I beg of you.

Really! this Chiness game that is coming in 2012 looks better than just about any western MMO i have seen but perhaps you see something i don't.

40,000 square kilometers and 40 times bigger than WOW plus everybody is on the same server.

I have not told you the name of this up coming MMO where cities building/owning and political careers are just two of the fantastic features this game will have.

You would not be interested anyway,after all it is a Chinese MMO,right?

When players create a character, the system will generate an unique growth path for them. All players will get to try out the various battle and life classes at first in order to allow them to choose a class most suited for them to progress. Eventually, a well-trained character will be a sword-wielding warrior who is able to throw fireballs in the middle of battle!

Other than the battle classes, there will be a variety of life classes for players to play as. Having your own shop (like a real actual shop space), going on a trade expedition, a skilled blacksmith, a world-renown herbalist, a wandering storyteller, a knowledgeable historian, a dragon trainer (gasp!)... All these and more is possible in Darkness and Light! These unique classes will cater for players who are not so much into battles.

Oh but it's Chinese so you would not be interested,eh?

When players eventually gain a huge amount of honor and recognition, the kingdom will bestow him with a title and a piece of land. With the piece of land, players can build a grand castle from scratch, eventually turning the areas around it into a town! If the player is lucky, there will be a time where a gold mine is discovered in the mountains within his territory, which can be farmed by the citizens of the town.

Your not intersted though,it's Chinese,eh?

There will be an active and live weather change system. Snow, fog, sunny, rain, hailstorm... all these will have an effect on the world. For example, if a snowstorm suddenly strikes, trading markets in town will close shop early. When players use a massive AOE ice skill during such a time, a mega blizzard will be formed!

Oh but it's Chinese and you would not be intersted ,eh?...

Hmmm.. look great from where i am standing and the games features will blow every single western MMO out of the water.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

No matter if you like the artistic approach of it, but it looks like the game oozes quality development.

The way the mount is animated, carries and shifts it's weight etc is plain awesome and unseen so far to me. It displays either a team that knows how to do a job or put in A LOT of effort. I'm ok with both.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by VoIgore

No matter if you like the artistic approach of it, but it looks like the game oozes quality development.

The way the mount is animated, carries and shifts it's weight etc is plain awesome and unseen so far to me. It displays either a team that knows how to do a job or put in A LOT of effort. I'm ok with both.

Yeah, it's definitely got a lot of very promising features that I'm looking for, and the game world is probably the best looking game world I've seen.  I just hope it gets to the Western market sooner rather than later.  

Well said.image

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Well said.image

Unfortunately...you still have to look at it, regardless of how well it is animated.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

@ArcheAge (the poster) WHAT GAME IS THAT!?!!? Seriously, I don't care if it's made in Madagascar by a troupe of trained lemurs, that thing looks gorgeous!

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by jonrd463

@ArcheAge (the poster) WHAT GAME IS THAT!?!!? Seriously, I don't care if it's made in Madagascar by a troupe of trained lemurs, that thing looks gorgeous!

View Info on the images has the acronym dnl in the filenames.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm okay with the mount, and from the vid... the lighting effects in the engine look quite good.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.