I have always defended and praised LOTRO and I chose my avatar here accordingly, but now I can't deny it has evolved in a way that disappoints me. I can see a lot of negative posts about it on these forums recently and I understand them. So, I have been a lifetimer since 2008 and bought every expansion, but now some things are really annoying me to the point that I can't ignore them anymore and pretend LOTRO is a satisfying MMO:
- I had a spider for 3 years in Ettenmoors, Codemasters and other players never objected to its name for 3 years (and I was rank 10 so I played it long enough for people to notice its name) then after Turbine took over they changed my nickname without warning, I talked to a GM who had no clue, and he didn't say why it was changed but he told me that I must pay to have the nickname of my choice... I wrote to their support an articulate and polite mail to complain but I didn't receive an answer yet (already three weeks). Talk about customer service and lifetime membership respect... So they change your nickname without reason, don't give you the choice of a new nickname and force you to pay for a new one! Believe me when you RP with your character for 3 years it makes you angry.
- We were moved from European servers to American. Why can't we have European servers like any decent international company would provide? Even Alganon launched its European server some months ago. PvE in raids or PvP with 1k kilometer and 9k kilometers distant servers and feel the painful difference.
- We still can't mine resources or engage fight on our mount. We have to press a key to dismount. How difficult is it to dismount us automatically, seriously?
- I'm receiving Turbine posts 2 or 3 times a week and they are all about the Turbine Store and how X or Y item is 20% off this week. Don't expect anything cool about lore, Middle-earth or contents, just "bargains".
- 9 out of 10 loading screenshots are about Turbine Store too. I chose to play in Middle-earth, not in Turbine Store and I'm tired of them slapping my face and my deeds achievement with IN-YOUR-FACE Turbine Store proposal. Talk about immersion when you are about to enter an instance and you have your 20 % bargains popping on screen or when you look at your storage, deed, character, stat tabs and the store's logo is waiting for you.
- I accepted the liftetime offer thinking that LOTRO would stay P2P and would offer the same quality and reasonable speed of new content, which it did untill Moria as far as I remember. But then it went F2P, not what I paid for, riff-raff came in, and there was a large gap of contents release to the point that people quit because there was simply nothing more to do for one year and a half. Even me a solo slow leveller, raid hater and flower smeller finally had the best amor set, because I had nothing else left to do.
- Ettenmoors, seriously I have a rank 10 spider, I bought all protection buffs and temporary perks and I have been critically hit for 5000+ health runekeepers for ever; sometimes against one guy it goes like 2k 1k 3k crits in a few seconds, even guardians crit me at 1k and hunters at 2k or 3k very often. I'm really really really angry you can't imagine because it has been like this for years. Besides, I'm so tired of running around in good old Ettenmoors for 3 years now without any change to this place. And with ROI, instead of speeding up the immense grind to top monster level, they introduced PVP XP rewards for... PVE quests. Meanwhile you can see a lot of free people boasting top levels because they just butcher creeps in what has turned into the worst abattoir and unfair PvP zone in MMOs' history DESIGNED SO ON PURPOSE BY DEVELOPERS.
- Better servers maybe? When you click 10 times in a row and they tell you to slow down maybe it's time to buy a new server? Or when you pay your house maintenance bill for two weeks also two clicks and you get this message, really...
- People have been whining for ages for new character animations and more fluid combat. If you develop a game and people keep telling you a million times an aspect (that doesn't touch the core game) is bad and should be reworked for damn 4 years JUST BLOODY DO IT.
- Turbine Store again, it's not cosmetic at all, you can buy a lot of stuff like deed acceleration, pots who will improve your character's stats and ability to fight and recover, etc, etc. You definitely can have a better character if you pay and you reduce your grind time. I spent a lot of time grinding for my deeds and improve my stats so why should others be able to pay real money to have them done quickly? Some decisions are so wrong like skeleton horse during the first autumn festival that you could then buy with Turbine points if you failed to get it in the game after intense chest camping.
These are general complaints out of my head, I won't comment on ROI, others are doing it, I feel like Turbine has changed a lot, mayhaps influenced lately by Warner Bros (but F2P was Turbine's decision). Mayhaps, they are diverting too many resources to develop their unannounced MMO (Harry Potter?). But one sure thing is: LOTRO is technically lacking and their F2P is ugly, even if I still enjoy some parts of it (story, graphic, atmosphere) I won't buy their next expansion unless they improve the points I mentioned above because frustration is not what I'm looking for in a MMO.