Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE's next step?

Comments

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

EQ Next will be a re-imaging of EQ and EQ2 I feel they are going to take some of the things that worked great in both and hopefully and I do say "Hopefully" mesh them together. I see it like this EQ's old world map or continental (not a shattered one that was just..............lame), Harder leveling exprience, less classes (I already had terrible alt syndrome with EQ1 than EQ2 spread me far to thin honestly the one thing WoW did good for me was less classes to pick from), Update graphics hopefully not beyond cutting edge someone above me said when the game came out they didn't  have the greatest rig I had a decent one at the time and it was still rough to run EQ2 so a game that can be played well on peak times and look nice, hotbar and animations lets this is hear to stay no game is without it now, Instances (more like LDoN i say but either or), PvP with meaning I played on Tallon Zek so I had PvP in EQ but EQ2 I just never felt a desire to PvP it was ...meh, EQ Players made the pvp good team pvp was obviously my favorite Darkies Vs Goods with the Occasion Shorties causing chaos, Guild's were racial my first guild I was inall Erudite's would love to see that type of passion return again. Lastly and most important to me Race and Class restrictions seeing a gnome monk or a Troll Wizard in EQ2 still makes me shake my head.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by pdk25

Even though I left EQ2 with 5 max level toons, I am so glad I went back to EQ1. To me the EQ1 classes are done about perfectly and the AA system is just the best.

I agree

EQ1 classes are excellent -- and the EQ2 classes pale in comparison (tho I still enjoy EQ2)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by reid424

the one thing WoW did good for me was less classes to pick from

EQ2 had too many classes but I dont like what WOW did either

Chanters and Bards will never exist  in wow -- a dps/healing mmo

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

SOE's next step? Off a cliff hopefully.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Nadia

EQ1 classes are excellent -- and the EQ2 classes pale in comparison (tho I still enjoy EQ2)

Yes. Although I do like playing my EQ2 Berserkers (just wade into the fight and start hitting everything around you), the basic BK concept is so not a tank!

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Just bring back eq mechanics, like trains and feign death pulling. Give me huge dungeons like TOV, seb and karnors where more than 1 group and more than 1 guild could be found going after encounters.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I seen 2 screenshots and a little concept art, besides that all I know is that it will be zoneless and use the same engine as Planetside 2.

Oh, and Smed hinted that it will most likely be F2P.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by pdk25

A very good post Eqarigon. I agree 100% that the class mechanics should be exactly like EQ1. I would also mention that I prefer Monks being a DPS/Puller type of class rather than a tank class like in EQ2. Even though I left EQ2 with 5 max level toons, I am so glad I went back to EQ1. To me the EQ1 classes are done about perfectly and the AA system is just the best.

I agree, EQ2 monks are nothing like EQ monks,Vanguard monk hold true to the EQ monk.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Rogosh

Just bring back eq mechanics, like trains and feign death pulling. Give me huge dungeons like TOV, seb and karnors where more than 1 group and more than 1 guild could be found going after encounters.

It sure did make things more exciting. Raid forces rushing to get to the boss first, and then the raid that lost spending their raid night training the crap out of the other raid that is trying to kill the boss... ahh good times..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I miss the huge dungeons as well, but not really the trains.

Dumber mobs are not the top thing we need in MMOs today. Instead they should pilot something that makes mobs act more humans. 12 year old combat mechanics can be freshed up a little, not just in the way of Wow.

EQ had a lot of really great stuff that would work excellent to remake but it also have some less great mechanics. I guess it would be too much to ask for that they start thinking out of the box again and make something completely new of those features...

But frankly am I happy if they just make a bug less engine that runs fine, unlike EQ2.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Vanguard has these mechanics,vast open dungeons within dungeons where you will find many groups/guilds.

• ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

Great thread guys.  

I'm excited to see what EverQuest Next turns out to be, but I'm also VERY cautious about getting too excited. Verant was the original company that produced Classic Everquest. Their game was full of immersion. It truly was another world - There was a sense of danger, there was a consequence for dying,  you NEEDED another player for SoW, a rez, a teleport  (before PoP), you had to trade and bargain face to face (before SoL). You actually had in-game friends and met people. Creating a sense of responsibility and consequences make the game feel real, and thus the rewards and sense of achievement is greater. 

SOE has a bad rep for alienating their player base and ruining games. The hints of cross platform gaming and f2p worry me and sound like the same outlandish ideas that ruin all their games. The f2p model is usually replaced by an online store, which KILLS any sense of immersion. Buying an epic, or even a pet, with real world money is just lame.

Will they go back to their roots in EQ Next? And if (by a slim chance) they do, will players be ready for an actual challenge? The larger the player base has been dumbed down. WoW, for example, spoon feeds gamers. SOE  has made EQ1&2 easier and faster as a result of WoW (players now level faster and EQ1 no longer has corpse runs). If MMO's are constantly dumbed down, there will never be another Everquest. When will producers notice the immersion is gone? When will producers stop and ask themselves what made MMORPG's fun in the first place? Was it being able to achieve everything instantly? Was it being able to buy that pretty winged-horse for $25 off a website? Or... was it the concept of being in an actual dangerous, ruthless, engaging, fantasy world?

Not to mention that EQ had the best races and classes of any other MMO out there. The fact that some races were capable of only being certain classes, and being MASTERS at those classes (Like a DE Necro, or GNM WIZ). And if you wanted a challenge, you could roll a High Elf Paladin and get Natures Defender at the end game as a reward for your struggles.

I hope "Everquest Next" takes MMORPG's back in the right direction. I'm not saying make the game as slow as the classic, but perhaps just don't dumb it down nearly as much as WoW has. And bring back the immersion, the passion and the magic that Everquest had.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Having been away from MMORPGs following Darkfall's dismal launch, I eagerly await some news of EQN. Out of the very limited information out there, the only four aspects that have me cringing are as follows.

1) Cross platform. Now I'm not saying that ALL cross platform MMOs have, or will, suck. But a cross platform EQ is like, well to quote Hank Hill, like Christian Rock Music ""Can't you see you're not making Christianity better? You're just making rock n' roll worse!" 

2) F2P. F2P = Cash shop, as well as removes all threat of suspention or ban, therefore asshattery occurs, and we all know how much douchiness already occurs in sub titles. You thought trains were bad before?

3) If you saw the leaked EQN reel before SOE put a c&d on it, you noticed two things immediately. Firstly, giant shoulderpads and giant 150lbs FFVII weapons. Secondly, jumping 30 feet into the air twirling special anime moves, both elements reaking of both WoW and azn f2p grinders.

4) Smed. He is a lying, unmitigated turd. He was at the wheel behind the design and development of EQII. Nuff said.

• pdk25pdk25 Member Posts: 115

Your post worries me. Why? Because you bring up good points.

I just want the developers to realize that most people are wanting another game like EQ1. I don`t know if they`re listening though.

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by pvpirl

Having been away from MMORPGs following Darkfall's dismal launch, I eagerly await some news of EQN. Out of the very limited information out there, the only four aspects that have me cringing are as follows.

1) Cross platform. Now I'm not saying that ALL cross platform MMOs have, or will, suck. But a cross platform EQ is like, well to quote Hank Hill, like Christian Rock Music ""Can't you see you're not making Christianity better? You're just making rock n' roll worse!" 

2) F2P. F2P = Cash shop, as well as removes all threat of suspention or ban, therefore asshattery occurs, and we all know how much douchiness already occurs in sub titles. You thought trains were bad before?

3) If you saw the leaked EQN reel before SOE put a c&d on it, you noticed two things immediately. Firstly, giant shoulderpads and giant 150lbs FFVII weapons. Secondly, jumping 30 feet into the air twirling special anime moves, both elements reaking of both WoW and azn f2p grinders.

4) Smed. He is a lying, unmitigated turd. He was at the wheel behind the design and development of EQII. Nuff said.

Your "four apsects" sum up my worries as well. I would love nothing more than to play a "new, EQ type" game, but I have my doubts. I do like the SOE games: EQ, EQII, Vanguard, even in their current form, better than anything else out there.

1) Cross Platform -Not an automatic deal breaker for me, but I can't see anything good coming from making the game cross platform. I enjoyed FFXI and it was cross platform, though I expect it would have been far better had it been PC exclusive.

2)F2P is a deal breaker, no way no how will I play it if it is F2P.

3) Didn't see the leaked trailor, but I don't get too terribly worked up about graphical styles as long as it's consistent throughout the game. I do have my preferences, but they aren't really deal breakers.

4) I think you are being a bit kind towards John Smedley. I'm not so sure I could be that charitable.

Well guys, it's a long time until any sort of information will surface.

My hypothesis is that between 2013/2014 Blizzard will be launching it's "Titan" project, rumored to be based upon the Halo intellectual property, in 6 +/- months following Titan, EQN will launch making it the biggest production FANTASY based mmo on the market, allowing blizard to rule the SCI FI based audience.

I loved EQ. Loved it. Not as much as old school UO in terms of mechanics, but the world of Norrath is the only fantasy world that I gave a fuck about the lore, etc. I really don't want it to suck. However, I think the "Fail Four" I outlined listed in the previous post will more than likely ruin it.

Unless..

1) SWTOR maintains the sub model and does exceedingly well with it. I know for a fact the EQN team is watching how that plays out. WoW and EQ 1 are already holding off going f2p as long as possible. SWTOR will be an industry changer in this respect. SW and GW is not so much a battle of two titles, as much a battle of economic models. east VS west. communism VS capitalism.

2) DCOU dies. And I mean a horrible death. And soon. As not only a SOE f2p MMO but a SOE f2p multi platform MMO, the longevity of this product can determine how EQN plays out.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They have such a huge focus right now on Eq2 that i doubt they have anything else in the works.

It looks like they have some NEW IP in the works but it is clearly not an EQ type game.The job req's are in line with mobs and Boss mobs however they prefer people skilled in 1st/3rd person shooters and vehicle combat design.

So to me it sounds like a sort of spin off of COD,where it's a fps but with some rpg aspects and will use some creatures in the single player game.IDK maybe closer to something like HALO?

Everything else points to conseole gaming,so i see nothing from SOE  PC gaming in the works.

Wow i just read the above post and you mention Titan being a sort of Halo project,go figure as i also mention Halo ..lmao.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit,someone must be leaking information between the two companies ,because EQ2 sure was a lot like Wow and both have continued to copy each other a lot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

They have such a huge focus right now on Eq2 that i doubt they have anything else in the works.

It looks like they have some NEW IP in the works but it is clearly not an EQ type game.The job req's are in line with mobs and Boss mobs however they prefer people skilled in 1st/3rd person shooters and vehicle combat design.

So to me it sounds like a sort of spin off of COD,where it's a fps but with some rpg aspects and will use some creatures in the single player game.IDK maybe closer to something like HALO?

Everything else points to conseole gaming,so i see nothing from SOE  PC gaming in the works.

Wow i just read the above post and you mention Titan being a sort of Halo project,go figure as i also mention Halo ..lmao.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit,someone must be leaking information between the two companies ,because EQ2 sure was a lot like Wow and both have continued to copy each other a lot.

EQN has a development team seperate from EQII.   I have personally seen textured animations and sound tests from EQN. I have the leaked footage on my harddrive as we speak. Every time it's loaded to youtube it's shut down by SOE. It has been in development sence 2009, consistantly. In fact development personnel and capital was shifted from the recently shut down Agency title to EQN and Planetside 2.  There is alot more accomplished on the EQN title than most people realize.

I *think* EQN combat will have alot of shared characteristics from GW2 and SWTOR, i.e. dodging, movement, and no auto attack, but remain in the 3rd person perspective. Again the combat details are just my guesswork from reading Smed quotes.

If I had to guess, I think we'll get a bit, very little, more information between now and the next FanFaire. Alpha to follow the FanFaire. Release 3Q 2013 - Q1 2014.

I believe that alot of the in-gaming polling done on the progression and other severs may have been used to craft the machanics in EQN.

Ok, back to shittalking.

I also believe the emphesis on "Social Gaming" will be more pronounced. They seem to be putting alot of emphesis into "Facial Emotes" and the technology to make that possible. But I've also read hints about how PvP will hold a greater emphesis than any previous EQ title. I would be equally unsurpised to see "Drood needs help planting jumjum bushed in NorrathVille and needs your help!" as I would "Ogres from Oggok are invading freeport and assraping all the noobs" pop up on my screen.

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

Stick a fork in it, the EQ franchise is done. Smokeblower and Smedley are looking to create a farmville/free realms hybrid.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

My prediction?

Everquest Next will be a LAUNCH TITLE for the Playstation FOUR.

One of the main reasons you arent hearing all that much etc is because the actual development etc are working with the playstation four specs which are still secret at the time.

In essence SOE can't reveal a lot.

I'd agree with the above. I think they want a franchise with the longevity of the original EQ and WOW, we know (Well, if you'd ask Smed, he'd say yes, ask Smokerjumper, he'd say no... so who knows, for this train of thought lets assume it will be) going to be a duel platform, I don't see them developing a game sense 2008/2009 only to plop 50% of it's potential userbase on an outdated console.

And frankly that encourages me.

In order to make a "AAA" MMO work on a PS3 AND PC, you'd have to simplify and scale back the PC version, as a PC Gamer this pissed me off.. that may not be the case with a hypothetical PS4. 2012 E3 may shed some light on this.

Manufactuers in Taiwan have leaked at a possible PS4 availability date of 2012!

And in ref to their "Facial Recognition Emote" technology, espect a Nintendo WII/Xbox Kinect esque device for a hypothetical PS4 that this game will be used to showcase.

Honestly I initially thought this was going to be NorrathFarm or EverVille but the more snipits here and there I read, the less I think that is the case.. but that may be wishful thinking.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I would love to see another game similiar to EQ come out.  Maybe some more classes but in general the same concept... tanks, melee dps, caster dps, healers, debuffers... then certain classes can do mixture and some are CC or beneficial buffs etc...

No more games that allow you to solo 1-max by questing... thats what killed MMO's for me.

I want to work for my gear, work for my levels, and have to work with others to achieve anything in the game. 

Would love to see a nearly exact clone of EQ1 with some updates... maybe more classes, add in a more advanced skill system that you are allowed so many points to train total and have to pick which skills you want for your class to make more unique players... for example later end game maybe a mob hits very fast and a tank who has high dodge would be necessary or the opposite a mob that hits slow but very hard, so a tank with higher mitigation would be wanted.  Could really change Pve.

I would also like to see some of the good MMO features like PvP battlegrounds, except take out PvP gear the reward should be something that evolves your character as a whole... I like to see people who put effort into their character actually have the stats, skills, gear and rewards for doing so.

No more easy quest gear or xping.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by phantomghost

No more games that allow you to solo 1-max by questing... thats what killed MMO's for me.

You could solo to max in EQ with any caster.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Manticorps

Stick a fork in it, the EQ franchise is done. Smokeblower and Smedley are looking to create a farmville/free realms hybrid.

pretty much, the franchise is mostly done because SoE is done