Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Blizzard going to bring back world pvp without wrecking their game?

2»

Comments

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Q: With the world PvP that is being talked about, are there any plans to add any Quest Hubs in Mists of Pandaria which functions like a smaller scale of Baradin Hold/Wintergrasp that will change faction when it is assaulted? Maybe even ones with actual leveling quests instead of just more dailies to add a dynamic questing experience like the ones that were talked about at Blizzcon?

A: Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing we are thinking about. We will share more info on our ideas for this soon. The idea is that we want to give players more options and not just always have one place to go or one thing to do.

From MMo champion. (http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/).

What I envision is that all of Pandaria will be a world pvp mega continent. Each piece of the continent will be either Alliance or Horde with the exception of their regional capital. Switching an area will mean certain quest lines opens up for the winning side and close down for the other side.

It might be that there are certain quest doable no matter in what state is the zone or that there are 2 completely different type of quests, one for when you have the zone and one when you don't.

It would also kick some serious ass to have the Stonetalon Mountains buffs in Pandaria. For who is not updated to current WoW, the Horde Stonetalon area is a whole military affair. You get drafted in the army when you gain access to the zone and then you rise through the ranks (quite quickly, but that is a quest line, not real pvp). As your rank increase, you get a different buff with your rank in it and you unlock different items at the local quartermaster.

Imagine something like that, only Continent wide.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

The "World PVP" will mostly be concentrated in Pandaria.

They're also making stuff that ask you to travel more, like the pet battle, dungeons challenge, pve scenario. Which you won't be able to queue in town.

They will try to make you visite the world, more. Make the Guard less OP like in Cata, so you actually can raid a town.

There's alot of stuff planned. Some we don't know about. But one thing sure, they won't wreck their game.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by cagan

old players are gone, game is infested with 12 year olds....

12 year olds dont care about pvp...they join bg queues or gank low lvl players

You couldn't be more wrong about that.  Plenty of older, less game-hoppy, more mature folks still in WoW.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by Requiem6

They will try to make you visite the world, more. Make the Guard less OP like in Cata, so you actually can raid a town.

Remember how it was before Cata? Where ONE, just one max level player could run through an entire town killing all the quest givers, the only thing standing in their way were 2-4 lvl 30 guards? That was stupid and I commend Blizzard for having common sense and shutting down that kind of griefing nonsense.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Foomerang

Last expansion, Blizzard remade almost every old zone and added phased quest chains. If you are on a different part of the phase than someone else in the same zone, chances are you will not see them. They vanish. Even if you are standing right next to them. Even if you are grouped. So how are they gonna make world pvp work without screwing with all thier phased zones?

Maybe they add another phase on top of all that? Or just ignore the old continents? I honestly dont know.

1. remove dungeon raid finders

2. remove meeting stones

3. remove flying mounts

4. no graveyards near dungeon raid entrances

5. focus a game about the lore instead of the all-gear powergrind.

6. reward world pvp

Think that should fix quite a lot but it would upset many spoon-fed raid addicts who don't want to spend 1 sec outside a instance when they login.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Deathenger

Their servers could never handle world PVP which is why such focus was put on BG's. Every time there was a large gathering of players somewhere in the world the server would lag to all hell, and even crash sometimes. (Before any expantions)

I never had issues in vanilla with southshore/tarren mill battles or multiple guilds trying to kill that world dragon in Azshara or Kazzak.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

This is exactly why I Quit WOW, phasing and flying mounts in Azeroth = World PvP death.

I actually don't care now though as I just bought Rift and this is Vanilla WOW to me, I am totally loving the world PvP with my Rogue.  I thought I would never be able to capture the fun of Vanilla wow again but Rift has done it, what an incredible game.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Remove flying mounts and make town guards less god like, that's all they need to do.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

It's going to be harder than they think because at this point in the game there is no real reason to ever leave a city and if you do, you can just fly over everything which allows you to not only skip the hazardous content but skip other players.

LFD, while fantastic for finding parties to dungeon, was one of the worst things for World PvP.  Aside from that, Flying was the massive nail in the coffin for it as well.

They'd have to move the "major" city to a new continent and not allow flying while finding a way to force players outside of the city walls so that world PvP can happen.  (PvP servers ofc)

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Quesa

It's going to be harder than they think because at this point in the game there is no real reason to ever leave a city and if you do, you can just fly over everything which allows you to not only skip the hazardous content but skip other players.

LFD, while fantastic for finding parties to dungeon, was one of the worst things for World PvP.  Aside from that, Flying was the massive nail in the coffin for it as well.

They'd have to move the "major" city to a new continent and not allow flying while finding a way to force players outside of the city walls so that world PvP can happen.  (PvP servers ofc)

and that is exactly what they plan to do.

Pandaria is no fly zone until max level, it also has the new major cities, 2 of them, one for horde and one for Alliance.

Also they are moving the convenience of central Stormwind/Orgrimmar by having various hot spots in the world where you have to be if you want to queue for this or that scenario. (imagine that if you want to go to Arathi BG, you need to actually be at the dwarven or orc encampment... then you can use the queue tool, but you need to physically be there before you can use it).

It is still unclear how widespread this loss of convenience will be, if it is just limited to Pandaria or does it expand to the old world as well.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think it's an unrealistic expectation to think that WoW is going to revitalize world pvp so that it will be like it was in Vanilla WoW. Part of the reason that they created battlegrounds in the first place was the server issues, but an even larger part is that people preferred to PvP when they felt like it, not all the time. I would categorize this as much more just giving players who want to PvP something to do in addition to battlegrounds.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.