Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Aion just beat SWTOR and WOW?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEffax8id4&feature=player_embedded

Looking by the latest video and from my previous Aion experience it seems like this game currently got the edge over WOW and SWTOR?

Aion wins in

#1 Graphics

#2 Combat

#3 Extra housing feature?

Discuss...

Comments

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

In Grinding #1

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Kopogero

Looking by the latest video and from my previous Aion experience it seems like this game currently got the edge over WOW and SWTOR?

Aion wins in

#1 Graphics

#2 Combat

Discuss...

LOL...ummm....NO.  

• AurorusAurorus Member UncommonPosts: 60

Is it still a grindfest? Yes.

/thread

Intel Core i7 2600k 4.8ghz
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
    Diamond Radeon 7970 3GB
    3x Dell U2412M 6048x1200
    2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 [Raid 0]
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Nice housing options ( if you like the sims, etc..), pretty graphics etc.. Looks like a fine update, but I don't see why this has to be a competition, I'm sure the other games will offer a nice distraction for many as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Originally posted by caremuchless

In Grinding #1

Depends for what you are grinding. WOW offers achivement/title heavy grind.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Aion wins in

#1 Graphics

#2 Combat

Discuss...

Graphics are great!, combat is not original at all, housing will interest folks, but not enough to change it's current state.

If they added more PvE I would imagine it would capture some folks attention.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

In Grinding #1

That kind of grind isn't mandatory though.  If you decide not to partake in that grind, you lose nothing.  The kind of grind in Aion is forced on you, because it is a grind for levels.  You have no choice but to deal with it.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Mayhaps if this was the face with which they emerged into the market. However, due to the substandard expectations of the Asian market, which was their target audience with the West as an afterthought, their initial release was a disheartening and featureless grindfest. That fact alone, as I'm sure you have/will see in the replies to your question, has created a highly negative stigma against the game from which it is imo unrecoverable.

No amount of post-release marketing, updates, or polish can change a first impression.

Are the changes competetive? Irrelevant, because the title is lost. 

Originally posted by Biggus99

In Grinding #1

That kind of grind isn't mandatory though.  If you decide not to partake in that grind, you lose nothing.  The kind of grind in Aion is forced on you, because it is a grind for levels.  You have no choice but to deal with it.

The grind is not that bad at all! Not like it use to be.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

In Grinding #1

It's a matter of taste really Aion was a solid enough game when I gave it a try; if it weren't for my distaste for the cutesy aspects that permeate the game, I'd have played a while, as long as you're having fun what difference does the level you are make?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

To level up is a grind.

I'm glad you like the game. To each his own.

I wanted to believe that AION was going to be the next coming. I played beta, bought the game on release and I played it for as long as I could stand it.

I truly dont believe that NCSoft will ever "TRULY" tweak any of their games to a western audience. I think its sheer arrogance. 

Originally posted by Slowdoves

In Grinding #1

I realize the grind has improved quite a bit from release, but it's still pretty grind-heavy compared to other AAA titles out there.  

To level up is a grind.

I wanted to believe that AION was going to be the next coming. I played beta, bought the game on release and I played it for as long as I could stand it.

I truly dont believe that NCSoft will ever "TRULY" tweak any of their games to a western audience. I think its sheer arrogance. 

Dude! It was a grind! It's not like how you remember it at all. They changed it.

Originally posted by Distopia

In Grinding #1

It's a matter of taste really Aion was a solid enough game when I gave it a try; if it weren't for my distaste for the cutesy aspects that permeate the game, I'd have played a while, as long as you're having fun what difference does the level you are make?

The lvl is meaningless unless you want to pvp and then find out that the pvp is horrible.

In Grinding #1

I realize the grind has improved quite a bit from release, but it's still pretty grind-heavy compared to other AAA titles out there.  

What's the point of leveling fast if you can't enjoy the gear you get while leveling? The gear you get as your leveling is pretty nice.

To level up is a grind.

Dude! It was a grind! It's not like how you remember it at all. They changed it.

It doesnt matter how great the game has become. The people that left, most wont come back. Including me.

Besides, there is only one MMO I could possibly fit into my busy life, Guild Wars 2 

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

In Grinding #1

There are several mistakes here. First maxlvl is not the end. Gear acts just like lvlups without getting new skills and that takes quite a while in wow. Second archievements reward pets, mounts and titles. They are not always rewardless. Lastly nothing is mandatory in a game unless you make the decision to aquire it.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

To level up is a grind.

It doesnt matter how great the game has become. The people that left, most wont come back. Including me.

Besides, there is only one MMO I could possibly fit into my busy life, Guild Wars 2 

I'm not disagreeing with you here, I have acknwledge on a previous post how these new changes will not change the current state of the game.

They will be stuck with 4 servers still, I bet even up until GW2 comes out., that's just my opinion.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

What really killed Aion for me was the zone design and how linear the leveling was.

Originally posted by Aison2

In Grinding #1

There are several mistakes here. First maxlvl is not the end. Gear acts just like lvlups without getting new skills and that takes quite a while in wow. Second archievements reward pets, mounts and titles. They are not always rewardless. Lastly nothing is mandatory in a game unless you make the decision to aquire it.

Oh, I'm not disputing that there is a grind in WoW at endgame.  No doubt about it.  But Aion has that as well, in addition to the grind to get to level cap.  

And as some have already mentioned, I understand that the grind isn't nearly as bad as it once was, but it's still worse than other AAA games, and is there enough there to make it enjoyable despite the grind?  I can say for myself, and a lot of others...no, there isn't.  Doesn't mean some people don't find it a solid game, though.  Maybe the new expansion will change a lot of things, but as has been pointed out, it's very tough to bounce back from a rough start.  It will be even tougher to do with the release of games like SWTOR, GW2, and The Secret World.  People just may not have a reason to come back.  

• ReidV2ReidV2 Member Posts: 13

To level up is a grind.

I remember playing Aion. It was a grind fest, it really was. I enjoyed the whole wings thing, for like 2 days. The PvP was terrible, gear centric and paper scissors rock, bleh. I'm just happy NCSoft is only publishing GW2 and giving ANet all the decisions on content.

As to the original poster's comment of Aion being above WoW and SWTOR. Well, you can't really compare it to SWTOR and WoW is still the big boss of MMOs. I personally don't know why, WoW became shit the second it implemented resilience. Downhill from there, nonetheless, I still don't see Aion being ahead of them.

Abandon The Fifth.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Why is it sheer arrogance for them to not tweak their games specifically for a Western audience?

Do Western developers tweak their games specifically to suit the Eastern market, adding graphical and gameplay elements that are very Eastern-flavored, with huge glowing weapons, disgustingly cute creatures and the like? No, they don't.

Does that make Western developers arrogant? No, it means they're developing games for a specific market... just like the Korean and Japanese developers are with their games.

I really don't understand such a myopic point-of-view;, and I see it a lot; "The Eastern companies don't make their games to cater specifically to Western markets.. They must be arrogant". ... or "clueless".

Does it not occur to people that there are other gaming markets out there, and that the Western market is not the center of the gaming universe?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Aion wins in

#1 Graphics

#2 Combat

Discuss...

You listed three subjective items.  So for some, it may.  For others, it may not.  Even given those three things, there are those that may prefer WoW.  There are those that may prefer SWTOR.

People like different things.  You preferring something will not change that.  Much like them preferring something will not change that for you.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Aion wins in

#1 Graphics

#2 Combat

Discuss...

No Aion came and failed really. I played for 2 years and just quit recently as did so many people and guilds. Servers have been merged a couple times and is down to 2 EST and 2 PST servers. Elyos dominate pretty much for months on end so there really isn't that much PVP going on either. This is a great update but it is too little too late for what is left of the player base. Really what they should have done a long time ago is whatever faction holds the forts the longest more and more Balaur dredgions should come and try to take it. Great game for those who love it but it is too little too late at least for the West.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Why didn't you post that in the Aion forum? For me yes Aion is still the better game by far but WoW and SWTOR are targetting a different market the lowest common denominator so you can't compare these 3. 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."