Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning EVE players receive discount as part of CCP apology

124»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Hazelle

1) If that's how it came out I'm not to blame - it's just a copy/paste.
    2) see at the top where it says "Definition of REWARD "?
    3) They're giving out a 10 dollar discount and once somebody accepts the discount they've been, by definition,  rewarded.

1) Of course, everyone is to blame but you... First CCP for their promo and now the site providing incorrect links...

2) Definition - Usage. Two different things, do you understand the difference?

3) Same as above. You do not understand what reward is.

From your very own link:

" See reward defined for kids »
    something (as money) given or offered in return for a service (as the return of something lost)"

CCP is not giving out anything nor there is any return of service.

Discount =/= reward.

Dunno whether it is a case of your ignorance or lack of critical thinking but you would do better if you were listening to what other people say. Since you don't, I guess any discussion with you is pointless... Like said above: It's like talking to a brick wall.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I like the addition that is coming for PI with player custom offices. And given the recent chain of events i think CCP is looking at the input- although I have to wonder who is managing the forums for Eve now?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Lateris
    I like the addition that is coming for PI with player custom offices.

Reworking released content every 2 years is not what I would call an "addition", I would say it is some serious issue the company has got...

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

If CCP wants my future business they need to grant me the same consideration they are giving people that do not play eve online.

So as long as they turn off your SP gain for 4 months (or whatever the actual trigger for the deal is) you'd be fine paying the promotional rate for 1 month? I mean, if you want the same deal the former players are getting, lets go all the way with it...

Really, of all the legitimate mechanics related complaints people could have coupled with the ability to play via PLEX, this seems like an arbitrary place to draw a line in the sand. I mean, since non-players cannot earn in game currency, then they can't really 'play for free' so there is a subscriber reward right there. :)

More power to you though. Each person has a different trigger and it seems the company found yours...Good luck in whatever game or endeavor you end up persuing.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Again.. CCP give special offers to subscribed customers all the time.  Your whole phone company comparison was stupid, because CCP -does- give gifts to subscribers.  Just because they didn't THIS TIME, you're getting your panties in a wad.

Quit crying, and go play something else.  At this point, I'm just tired of hearing your pointless complaints.  Me me me, now now now.  That's all you're saying, over and over again.  You want something NOW, and ignore the things CCP has given to subscribers.

How about the -free- Aurum gifts they have been giving to subscribers?  They're on what.. their third round of free Aurum to people who are subscribed to the game?  There have also been free unique ships given to subscribed players in the past, as well as skillpoints.

You're angry over the most ridiculous thing, and it seems you just don't understand why people don't agree with you, and you keep repeating yourself even though you're not changing anyone's mind.  It's pointless, and your complaint is baseless and selfish.  For the millionth time, get over it.

You obviously don't understand business or marketing, and I'm sure CCP doesn't care that they lost your business over something so trivial at all if it meant they gained the business of a thousand other people.

And also, the fact that you can PLAY THIS GAME FOR FREE, really makes me not care about your selfish complaints.  If you can't afford the rather cheap monthly fee, then buy PLEX with ISK and play for free.  You're basically saying CCP doesn't deserve your money anyways, so why should they give you any sort of discount?

People like you make me angry when it comes to this industry.  It's always give me this, give me that.. and when you see something someone else has, you think you should get it too.  And when you don't get it, you get some notion that you DESERVE it, and ignore any history the company has with similar offers, and look at this one instance just because you didn't get something out of it.  Makes me sick, honestly.  It's what is hurting this industry.

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Well said...  That's all I gotta say  +10

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You might like playing Eve,no problem that is definitely your right,you might be afraid to ever leave it because you invested so much time and effort again your right.However i place NO value on virtual items and the game has absolutely zero appeal to anyone looking for a complete rpg experience.Even it's ONLY selling point it's pvp,lacks grossly in mechanics it is just a very weak effort by CCP.

This is no different than if say Guild Wars 1 started to charge 15 bucks to play then said ,wait we will give you a discount.

Then of course it all comes down to opinion on weather Eve is worth a p2p or is it a f2p design.My opinion is that it is 100% a f2p design and even has the rmt/isk selling to back that up.With so much rmt cheating that has gone over 7 years,nobody in Eve can offer any suggestions what so ever,because there is no way to prove you got anything you have legit.

I guarantee more action and pvp satisfaction playing ut99 than Eve could ever offer me and i pay nothing EVER to play it.I NEVER have to wait for a fleet to join up ,i never have to wait for my leader,i login i play great fun.Epic games won't be offering me any discount,since i pay nothing,CCP is ripping you guys off bigtime.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well. I deactivated one account just before summer, and then the other during. How come I didn't get an e-mail? =/

/slightly confused

Edit- just logged into my accounts on their site, and I am eligible for the re-activation for 5 bucks. Wondering why I didn't get an e-mail though.

/tempted to start a new life with my old char. I couldn't deal with 0.0 that well. I ended up leaving because I was being forced to play a game I didn't want to in 0.0. Maybe if I went to do what I actually wanted to try out, I'd have more fun than I was last time.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by Gdemami

1) If that's how it came out I'm not to blame - it's just a copy/paste.

2) see at the top where it says "Definition of REWARD "?

3) They're giving out a 10 dollar discount and once somebody accepts the discount they've been, by definition,  rewarded.

1) Of course, everyone is to blame but you... First CCP for their promo and now the site providing incorrect links...

2) Definition - Usage. Two different things, do you understand the difference?

3) Same as above. You do not understand what reward is.

From your very own link:

" See reward defined for kids »

something (as money) given or offered in return for a service (as the return of something lost)"

CCP is not giving out anything nor there is any return of service.

Discount =/= reward.

Dunno whether it is a case of your ignorance or lack of critical thinking but you would do better if you were listening to what other people say. Since you don't, I guess any discussion with you is pointless... Like said above: It's like talking to a brick wall.

The choice of word you make needs to be apt to the meaning behind the word or there is no point attempting communication between people...

"Pickles fort because east blew trouble is Hun."  Are you sure you really want to communicate when words have no predefined meaning?  lol

Reward is an apt word in the the way that I've used it because once the person accepts the discount offered they've been rewarded by the discount.  Their behavior of accepting the offer is rewarded by CCP by getting the discount - the definition of reward is satisfied.  Under the childs definition it would play out as a discount offered in return for patronage - REWARD.

CCP is giving out a ten dollar discount in return for customer patronage - reward.

You can't just make up a new meaning or redefine a word just because you're on the losing end of a discussion fella.  The word has a predefined meaning and when it's used, it has to stay within its definition, that is, if you wish to communicate effectively with the people around you.  Reward as I've used it falls within the correct definition of the word and my usage of it is apt in this case as I've pointed out above.

I'm sorry that you can't grasp the correct meaning of words and I hope that I've helped you understand the meaning of reward enough that you can recognize it when you see it and be able to, perhaps in time, use it yourself in a sentence.  I also think that you learning that a dictonary can also be used for word definitions will help you in the future.

You're welcome.

I'm no longer playing this game so it's fruitless for me to continue this discussion I only popped in here to teach you your folly and say goodbye to those that wished me well - so everybody have fun and remember: it's just a game.

I will also say that too many of you have a defeatest attitude when it comes to these types of business practices  and I hope that the next time you're being treated less than the valued customer that you are you speak out and protest to it.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by xS0u1zx

The way I see it.  If you're a person who's going to quit over $10 you aren't really worth being a customer.    Wahhh you have to spend an hour's wage to play a game that you could simply play for free if you actually "Played" it.

Go QQ somewhere else, and while you're at it.  Can I have your stuff.

They valued their game at 5 dollars next month and anyone that pays more is paying too much.  If they raised the cost of a sub by 10 dollars next week are you telling me people wouldn't go up in arms?  15 dollars is, by their own account, over charging for eve online next month.

I'm worth being a customer because I pay them money for a subscription to access their game and they placed the worth of their game at 5 dollars for next month's sub.  The people getting the offer are worth being a customer for them for the exact same reason and for the same reason they're getting a discount.  To see it any other way makes me think that you work in the frontline for CCP customer service.  A customer's value is placed on thier willingness to purchase your good or service at the price you're asking and as I keep pointing out they're asking for 5 dollars and I agree to that price.

As I said above I don't buy plex in eve online but I enjoy my young family - what do you think is time better spent for me?  My baby or a digital spaceship?  My wife or an online hobby?

Your arguement is weak.

You also allowed yourself to be trolled into a pointless discussion over the definition of the word "reward" when, in fact, it plays no real meaning into this conversation.

The issue is that you have this misdirection conception that your opinion is correct and you are "owed" something. Reality is that no, the game is not valued at $5 next month. The game is valued at normal monthly rate with a a special consideration for those who have not been in the game for a while. These promotions happen *ALL* the time in nearly every industry and/or business. They are promotional offers to incentivize specific populations into action. You do not fall under this population so you are not eligible.

Next time you take a flight somewhere, ask what the person sitting next to you was charge, then ask another person near you what they were. Both will be different prices from what you paid. Lets not talk about car dealerships and how you wont get the 2000 cash back offer if you buy the car a week before the promotion starts.

What the real problem here is that you view the game as valued at lower than what you are paying. So stop paying. Otherwise, if you view your money is justified in what you pay but are unhappy with the practice of the company (and also feel cheated or like you deserve something [unjustly]), then continue to pay and take it up with their customer service.

By reading your posts I can only assume you were already thinking of leaving but want to sensationalize your story and opinion and leave some sort of mark. Just go in peace if you want to leave but don't make up silly arguements or try to get other people to jump on your band wagon when its really just a house of cards.

The value of the game is $15/month. This goes down if you pay in larger amounts. How do you justify that? People are paying less than you! Oh noes!

Stop the crap. Stop the strawman. Stop the QQ about something that isn't the real issue. Take it up with them or leave in peace. Also, don't let someone so easily derail you over semantics.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by NightCloak

Your arguement is weak.

You also allowed yourself to be trolled into a pointless discussion over the definition of the word "reward" when, in fact, it plays no real meaning into this conversation.

The issue is that you have this misdirection conception that your opinion is correct and you are "owed" something. Reality is that no, the game is not valued at $5 next month. The game is valued at normal monthly rate with a a special consideration for those who have not been in the game for a while. These promotions happen *ALL* the time in nearly every industry and/or business. They are promotional offers to incentivize specific populations into action. You do not fall under this population so you are not eligible.

Next time you take a flight somewhere, ask what the person sitting next to you was charge, then ask another person near you what they were. Both will be different prices from what you paid. Lets not talk about car dealerships and how you wont get the 2000 cash back offer if you buy the car a week before the promotion starts.

What the real problem here is that you view the game as valued at lower than what you are paying. So stop paying. Otherwise, if you view your money is justified in what you pay but are unhappy with the practice of the company (and also feel cheated or like you deserve something [unjustly]), then continue to pay and take it up with their customer service.

By reading your posts I can only assume you were already thinking of leaving but want to sensationalize your story and opinion and leave some sort of mark. Just go in peace if you want to leave but don't make up silly arguements or try to get other people to jump on your band wagon when its really just a house of cards.

The value of the game is $15/month. This goes down if you pay in larger amounts. How do you justify that? People are paying less than you! Oh noes!

Stop the crap. Stop the strawman. Stop the QQ about something that isn't the real issue. Take it up with them or leave in peace. Also, don't let someone so easily derail you over semantics.

Oh my gosh, good post!

Yes, promotions can be quite irritating at times, but this one really isn't a big deal for vets. It's not like Funcom's long-term promotion to froobs to get AO and all of its xpacs at a ridiculously low price while their vets had to continue to buy each xpac at the original price (large difference in money there). Other game companies do similar things to intice in new players. In comparison to those promotions where vets can be considerably out of pocket in comparison to new players, this 5 euro for the first month back deal is really no biggy.

Plus, if the OP is really enjoying the game, he shouldn't care about paying 15 dollars/month. If he really liked the game, he could pay for many months at a time because he knows he'll be playing it for a while, which comes out to being less than 15 dollars/month.

Plus, if the OP really cared about CCP and the game, he'd want players to come back to the game. A healthy game has more people coming in than are going out.

I can appreciate the OP might not have the time to earn enough ISK in the game to buy PLEX with it. Time-wise, unless you have a certain playstyle and are already an established player, it takes far longer to earn enough ISK to buy PLEX than to make 15 USD. But the fact of the matter is that EVE costs 15 USD/month... it's not a 5 USD/month game. It's slightly more expensive than most MMOs on the market. It has always been around the same price. This is just a promotion i.e. the game is not valued at this at all. It's a temporary thing to get people in. There is a lot of stiff competition out there. If EVE really did cost 5 USD/month, I am sure that's what CCP would offer it at. So it's really a red herring argument to say that it's valued at 5 USD/month.

As the poster I quoted said, it seems to be that the real issue is that the OP doesn't really have the time to play EVE perhaps due to his young family he has posted about, so in fact really wants to leave the game. To draw attention to himself he spouts about just any ol' thing that is somewhat irritating. Unfortunately for him, he chose what most people won't consider to be that big of a deal. He could have chosen the whole monacle debacle and greed is good scandal, or throw pie in the face of CCP by saying that the apology to everyone is like an 'I told you so' moment. But no... it has to do with one month back at 5 USD....

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

I'm no longer playing this game so it's fruitless for me to continue this discussion I only popped in here to teach you your folly and say goodbye to those that wished me well - so everybody have fun and remember: it's just a game.

I will also say that too many of you have a defeatest attitude when it comes to these types of business practices  and I hope that the next time you're being treated less than the valued customer that you are you speak out and protest to it.

You have an ego and a narcissistic personality, and I'm glad you no longer play this game.  Hope the door hits you on your way out so that you never think to return.

Also, I'm willing to bet that you return to EVE eventually.  Unfortunately for us.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

the value of anything is what they will pay for it, Hazelle. I could quote another 100 famous comments relating to that, but you get the idea. I have never paid in PLEX and have always supported CCP with real money. I paid a few months at 15/month and upon realizing that I was staying for the long haul, I picked a year sub(about 10/month, I think).

Leave or stay, it doesn't matter. Stating that returning players can get it for less or more is entirely up to the company offering the promotion. You seem quite passionate and I would encourage you to channel that compassion into maybe something more constuctive.

Maybe you should organize a campaign to gather food for a local homeless shelter, or collect toys for kids that are needy for the holidays. You have made about 20 posts decrying your anguish and seeking solidarity amongst fellow players, yet all you have achieved is looking small and trivial about nothing more than the difference between 5-10 USD.

It's coming up to holiday season, let's try and be thankful for what we have and how we can help others.

Good luck in your choices.

Edit:spelling

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by CactusJack

the value of anything is what they will pay for it, Hazelle. I could quote another 100 famous comments relating to that, but you get the idea. I have never paid in PLEX and have always supported CCP with real money. I paid a few months at 15/month and upon realizing that I was staying for the long haul, I picked a year sub(about 10/month, I think).

Leave or stay, it doesn't matter. Stating that returning players can get it for less or more is entirely up to the company offering the promotion. You seem quite passionate and I would encourage you to channel that compassion into maybe something more constuctive.

Maybe you should organize a campaign to gather food for a local homeless shelter, or collect toys for kids that are needy for the holidays. You have made about 20 posts decrying your anguish and seeking solidarity amongst fellow players, yet all you have achieved is looking small and trivial about nothing more than the difference between 5-10 USD.

It's coming up to holiday season, let's try and be thankful for what we have and how we can help others.

Good luck in your choices.

Edit:spelling

I wish MMORPG.com had a upvote/downvote system like some other forums. I would totally +1 this. Nice post.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by Faelan

Seems like CCP has managed to paint themselves into a corner. It doesn't matter what they do at this stage. Somebody is gonna feel pissed on and rage about it.

It's the same bloody mistakes every damn time...  They screw over their existing playerbase in order to court people that aren't playing their game.

There's 4 main problems that plague this company: the above is one; their constant comunication failures is another; their failure to bring about their full expansion designs; and their failure to revisit an incomplete/broken expansion.

It seems that everytime they focus on fixing one of their company flaws they lose their grip on another so at any given time the company (not the game itself) is alienating  a portion of their playerbase.

Every month a minimum of 450 customers become financially irrelivant due to inflation. They need new customers and they need to grow their customer base. Period. End of Story. It is their elite 0.0 power blocks that are holding them hostage and they are choking their own MMO to death as a result.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by idgarad

Originally posted by Faelan

Seems like CCP has managed to paint themselves into a corner. It doesn't matter what they do at this stage. Somebody is gonna feel pissed on and rage about it.

It's the same bloody mistakes every damn time...  They screw over their existing playerbase in order to court people that aren't playing their game.

There's 4 main problems that plague this company: the above is one; their constant comunication failures is another; their failure to bring about their full expansion designs; and their failure to revisit an incomplete/broken expansion.

It seems that everytime they focus on fixing one of their company flaws they lose their grip on another so at any given time the company (not the game itself) is alienating  a portion of their playerbase.

Every month a minimum of 450 customers become financially irrelivant due to inflation. They need new customers and they need to grow their customer base. Period. End of Story. It is their elite 0.0 power blocks that are holding them hostage and they are choking their own MMO to death as a result.

You are probably right,bro.

Keep on rockin'!image