Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim is a WoW Killer!@

the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I would like to assume people know the title was a joke but just in case "The title was a joke"

Elder scrolls 5 Skyrim launches in 5 days 4 hrs and I am pretty excited about it.

Its no mmorpg but it will be nice to play a nice free open single player RPG, I am pretty confident that we will all get our $50 worth out of the game and then some, hopefully a lot of some but I dont want to get my hopes up to high however they are definetly up there :P

If you read this post this far then you must have some skyrim interest so here is my question to any of you other hardcore gamers out there ready to rip through skyrim like myself.  2 part question, what are you most looking forward to in skyrim / what are you worried about or view as biggist negative.

For me I am mostly looking forward to the skill system and the freedom to develope your char anyway you see fit, my biggist concern is will the game be hard enough to offer me a challenge or will it just be a super pretty open rpg with great depth but no difficulty...

Comments

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Looking forward the most to how the NPC's will react to your presence through out the game or advanced AI.

The negative would be none

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I havent really played through oblivion / morrowind but I am glad to hear the npcs react to you much like I have experienced in Fable 1-2-3 and loved.. 

My brother hated this aspect though as I would AFK my char in town when I went to smoke and everyone who came close to me would scream and run around since I was so EVIL :p  Although it is always nice to come in and people are saying "Here comes our hero" " cheers for our champion" and positive things instead of just OMG the darkone then running away :P 

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Its the game I've dreamed about playing for years.

No really, I always dreamed of a medieval game with extensive magic, with bows and warriors....and....DRAGONS.

This game is litterally a dream come true and with how much I loved Oblivion I will only love this game even more now that they  made such a great magic system and smoothed out melee/bow combat. Best part is its not only a game about magic and killing dragons...there is so many other things to get involved in..over 300 effing hours of gameplay for 60$.

Dream come true..I will litterally be camping out for this game.

• helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99

I've been watching streams of the game.  I can't wait.   Why can't they make more games like it?  Tired of the simple hand holding games.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by the420kid

I would like to assume people know the title was a joke but just in case "The title was a joke"

The Title did make me laugh.

I play WoW and I am going to be taking some time off to play Skyrim. (Or at least playing less) So Skyrim isn't so much a WoW killer for me as much as a WoW Take-A-break-er.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

People still play WoW? Heck im surprised people still play MMO's

Skyrim looks nice, cant wait to give it a whirl

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by Thedrizzle

People still play WoW? Heck im surprised people still play MMO's

I am surprised that  you are surprised.

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

2 part question, what are you most looking forward to in skyrim / what are you worried about or view as biggist negative.

For me I am mostly looking forward to the skill system and the freedom to develope your char anyway you see fit, my biggist concern is will the game be hard enough to offer me a challenge or will it just be a super pretty open rpg with great depth but no difficulty...

Hmm weirdely enough im looking forward the same thing,and my big concern is also the same.

Concerning difficulty i ll add this.

In Morrorwind i had the difficulty slider set to 75 instead of 50 and in Oblivion 55+OOO mod and 60+OOO mod instea dof slider set yo default 50 so the difficulty would be challenging.Truth is though i would preger the enemies to be smarter instead of me changing their dmg values :/ .

Truth is Oblivion had some kind of cheats concerning battle reducing its value.All u had to do is run backwards till enemy launches an attack  ,hes exposed then u hit. Or running backwards fast and shooting arrows heh.i hope they fixed both these issues cause they were making battles less serious.

P.S. And btw, i think Skyrim will cut a number of subs ,especially those that are bored of wow ,they play cause there is no other game around,and there are some ppl like those.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

I like the argonian looks on this game. Can't wait.

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

The title did make me laugh :3

I'll probrably get it eventually, the magic in the game looks awesome, and I've never tried Elder Scrolls before.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by eycel

Looking forward the most to how the NPC's will react to your presence through out the game or advanced AI.

The negative would be none

The combat system is still clunky -_-

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i preordered skyrim
    im most looking forward to making a pure spell casting mage
    and not using any weapons other than ones i can somehow summon

i am looking forward to the exploration and immersion

what i am concerned about are the game breaking bugs
    i hope there are none

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

People hyped up Oblivion so much that I was REALLY disappointed with it.  Especially the endless, tedious portals you had to clear.  It makes me worried when people hype up Skyrim so much.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Starting to get excited for it once again, wasn't for the longest time for some reason. I went and threw myself a curve ball and pre-ordered Saints Row 3 instead though (likely going to get Skyrim as an xmas present anyways).

I'm just hoping I don't spend my entire time in SR3 wishing I were playing Skyrim lol.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

Im actually going to break down and buy a console just so I can play this game!

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I am pretty confident that we will all get our $50 worth out of the game and then some, hopefully a lot of some but I dont want to get my hopes up to high however they are definetly up there :P

You may have been speaking in general regarding the price tag, but just in case, its $60. However, direct2drive has it on preorder sale for $53.95 and if you are an IGN member you get a 15% off that brings it to $45.83.

With that aside, I am looking forward to the exploration. The concern I have is that I hope they didnt stream line the character developement so much that it takes allot of the decision making of how you want your character to be like. Like allot of the games these days, it seems that developers seem to be making games geared towards the younger generation that seem to be all about  getting into the action with very little character developement.

I am not sure if Skyrim falls into that catagory, but I still believe it will be fun to explore. I cant wait for 11/11/11.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

I never played Oblivion.  I have played Fallout 3 though as well as several of the mods for it.  Pretty sure I've logged in around 75-100 hours to Fallout 3 and I very much enjoyed the game.

Several months ago I played The Witcher 2 and thoroughly enjoyed the game.  Probably had 50+ hours in that game, but no more because I felt the character customization was lacking as well as the fact it's a pretty linear game.

Tried Dark Souls when it came out.  LOL at tight game play mechanics.  More like crap mechanics to artificially pump up the difficulty.

I'm very much looking forward to skyrim.  Apparently the world is 3-4x the size of Fallout 3.  That alone has me excited.  150+ handcrafted dungeons?  Sweet.

The whole game just looks very detailed and well designed from what we have seen so far.

I know a guy(tellin the truth I swear) that because he has certain family connections has played Skyrim a significant amount and he can't wait for it to come out next Friday.

Do I think it will be the second coming of Jesus?  No.  Do I think it will be worth the money?  Hell yeah.  The mod community is gonna go crazy on this game. 

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 are my 2 picks for Game of the year.  Arkham City is awesome.  The Witcher 2 was great.  Several solid games have come out, but I really think in this years case the best for last is true with Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and SWTOR.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by damond5031

Spend that money on computer upgrades and enjoy your visually superior, highly moddable version of Skyrim.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

I don't think customization will be a problem in Skyrim.

Off the top of my head:

1.  +200 perks.  Average finished game level is 50 with a perk per level, but you can level theoretically to +70, but experience slows down alot once you hit 50.  Now the best perks are probably near the end of trees and some perks require multiple levels, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can build up to a few top tier picks across different trees as well as quite a few low ot mid tier.

2.  +20 dragon shouts.  They've shown us like 5-6 shouts so far and they have all been vastly different from each other.

3.  Skill leveling.  You could potentially pick nothing, but magical spells and what not, but use a sword 24/7.  While you would be missing some nice sword skills you would still do well with a sword+have powerful magic and vice versa with Powerful sword build with sword perks and some low to mid level magic.

We don't really know yet just how varied a build can be, but I think it's gonna be pretty solid.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by pwnasaurus

Spend that money on computer upgrades and enjoy your visually superior, highly moddable version of Skyrim.

Completly agree. I wish I had the money to supe up my PC for it, but i'm gonna have to settle for consoles this time around.

The mods of in the past Elder Scrolls games have been pretty awesome. They've really added to the already large replayability of the games, from everything like some improvements/changes in ways Bethesda never would or could dream of all the way to adding new locations and quests (much like free DLC, and usually done just as well as the paid stuff, sometimes better).

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

After the attrocious vanlia version of ES4:Obvilion, I can't even fathom anyone wanting the console version.

The mods was the only thing that made ES4 playable for a lot of people (hello rubberband level mobs!) including myself.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by jpnz

After the attrocious vanlia version of ES4:Obvilion, I can't even fathom anyone wanting the console version.

The mods was the only thing that made ES4 playable for a lot of people (hello rubberband level mobs!) including myself.

This is true as well. If the game for whatever reason fails to live up to the hype, then the community will assuredly and quickly remedy the issue with mods.

I usually approach ES games with the philosophy that I should give it a vanilla playthrough to see the design intent before dressing it up like a slut.

The neat thing about the ES pc modding community is that if you've ever thought "gee, I wish x was in game", or "I wish you could x", then you CAN make x happen. But the real beauty is that there's also y, which is better than x and you never thought of.  Some creative genius will make y FOR YOU free of charge and in better quality than a professional game dev. Don't even start with z...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Looking forward to it myself.  Still playing Morrowind and Oblivion on a regular basis.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • bensculptbensculpt Member Posts: 80

Only game I have been really looking forward to this year, but after the afterbirth known as dragon age 2 im not sure i should really expect anything from game companies anymore.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I never played any elder scrolls pat the first 1 way back in the day.  I prefer to play on my pc regardless but I have learned a lot about the quality of mods the community for these games has made for there other titles and it really makes me glad I am a pc user some of them are quite impressive.  I could really see modding adding a lot of life to the game on 2nd 3rd even 15th times through adding quests items skills everything its mind blowing what these people can create with the modding and I cant wait to see what comes out after Ihave gone through my first time pure I will be all over the mods.