Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: So DC Universe is F2P

Comments

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    So I did play this morning. Intersting and alright swtor will be my winter fun. The low cash ammount. Wo SoE hold the phone. You need to look at other f2p models i dont want to shell out $5 a month just to play a sub game. I hope they fix this alot cuz conan, anarchy online, and perfect world all have good f2p models.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Siveria

I'm was never too interested in dcuo, from what I heard, you level way to fast and there is really no endgame content to speak of to keep you busy. Its probally why it had to go f2p so fast because of the lack of things to do. If your going to have a low level cap, don't make it so you can get there in 1 weekend. Mind you there are 6+ diff storylines to go thru, 3 for hero 3 for villian. But after you do that what is left in the game? This is the reason I never bought the game back when it came out.

And those people have been wrong from day 1. 

No endgame?   4 or 5 raids, duo's, hard alerts, max level PvP, challenge solo missions.  There's no less endgame in DCUO then you'll find in any other MMO.

If you don't mind the endgame system that every other MMO uses, then DCUO endgame shouldn't be a problem. 

DCUO never had a problem with leveling to fast and then having nothing to do unless you're the sort of person that didn't want to do what there was to do at 30, and THIS is what people were basing the "no endgame" on.  Not actual endgame content, but there unwillingness to do the endgame content.  The same people that are going to tell you that there's nothing to do at max level in DCUO are going to say the same about any other MMO, or just saying it because of their own personal vendetta.  They either don't like SoE or they don't like the game, or both. 

If you don't mind doing endgame at 30, then you have plenty to do in DCUO.  It's just the same repetetive gaming you find in all MMO's at max level.

Yes, you do level fast, but because most of the focus is on max level gameplay it's kind of neccesary.  There's more to do when you hit 30 then there is at 29 and below, and that has always been the case for DCUO. 

Anyone who's trying DCUO on the PC, and owns a PS3 isn't doing themselves any favors.  You really should be playing on the PS3.  If you are playing on the PC, you should use a controller.   Just becuase you're playing a game on the PC doesn't mean that you can't use a controller, or that the game is even better suited to use a keyboard or mouse.  Seriously, I don't know a single person that plays flight sims and uses the keyboard and mouse "because they're on a PC", they use a throttle. 

The game wasn't designed "with the console in mind"  It was designed with a controller in mind. 

BTW:  Any USB keyboard can plug into your PS3 and should work.  My g15 does, and it makes typing 1000x easier; espeically when I don't feel like using the mic.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Is the cash shop as bad as in EQ2X? Like pay 10$ right away or get lost.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Is the cash shop as bad as in EQ2X? Like pay 10$ right away or get lost.

There are some smaller things tobuy i think, but DLCs are for 1100 SC... 1000 SC costs 10 $ ... so to buy DLC for 1100 you need to either buy 2000 SC or 1000 + 500 SC ... but that's the ploy gamers are pretty used to with MS Points and all other such marketplacees where prices always force You to buy more points that You want. 

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

I don't know how it is on the PC, but for the PS3 I paid for the GL DLC wtih straight up cash.  It was $9.99, so I spent $9.99.  No coins or anything.  They might not offer this on the PC, as everything in the PSN Store can be purchased for a cash amount (much better than XBox Live points, or coins in some random amount).  

On a side note, someone above mentioned leaving the console on overnight causing problems.  That won't happen with any new 360 or PS3.  With the slimmed down models they've cut a lot of the heat generation, and the newer 360s have had the heatsink mount and soldiering replaced with higher quality stuff (therefore it doesn't happen).  If you still have an old 360, you're right, it can redring if you heat and cool it constantly and quickly (causes microfractures in the soldiering).

Someone else mentioned it being pay-to-win.  At least as of right now it's no.  No weapns or "uber" armor in the store.  No long xp grinds with xp pots in the store.  Right now, it's just some costumes, tickets for the vault, tickets to draw money from your overflow (if you're free to play), and extra bag space (some might consider this necessacary, but so far it's not been a problem for me).  I'm sure they'll keep adding powers and characters (for legends pvp, etc) and costumes to the store.  Aside from that, other than adding quests and stuff, I don't really see what else would be in there.  And as long as the price on the DLCs stays low, it's not that bad of a deal.  9.99 every few months to get some new content or new powers isn't all that bad for a game that is fun.

Now, it's not going to scratch the same itch as WoW or a good number of other PC mmos.  But it plays like an action game that has some RPG elements in a comic book universe.

All in all, I'm happy with my $10 spent (Downloaded it for free, plus bought the GL pack, becuse who doesn't want to be a lantern?... now if only I could be a Red Lantern and vomit up red burning goo on people, I'd be set).

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Psychow

I think all PC gamers should invest in a wired xbox 360 controller. It just makes many games easier to play (platformers, racing, etc). Then the debate of keyboard/mouse vs controller will be moot. Just choose which is best for you.

I'd actually do that if I played platformers, or sports games for that matter, but I don't.  Incidentally, racing games play just fine on a keyboard.  So the only reason for me to buy one would be to have an inferior experience in games that are better suited to mouse & keyboard -- which is just about everything *except* platformers and sports games.

Good luck with DCUO.  I don't wish it ill, I just wish it didn't pretend to have had PC players in mind when it was developed. 

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i like dcuo ftp so far

im a low level but i havent encountered any annoying disadvantages for being a free player yet

i like their cash shop too

its decent

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

they should fire the idiot who thought it was a good idea to market a console game as an mmorpg. CRAPPY CHAT INTERFACE= NO COMMUNITY= NOT AN MMORPG.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• jackdaw31jackdaw31 Member Posts: 26

It is a pretty damn good MMO, on console at least. I tried the PC version, but the controls are simply horrid, and yes, I play plenty of MMO's on PC just fine :D

It works real well on PS3, the only downside was the chat function was rubbish, and the control pad doesn't make up for the ease of a keyboard [although, you can use headsets for chat in teams etc for ease]. Otherwise, I hope we now see more MMO's on consoles.

But, basically, now its free, I would urge all to try, especially if your a comic book fan.

Too many alts!!

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Well, downloaded it about 8 hours ago. Hoping to eventually step foot into the game and see for myself if it's any good. Due to more technical problems than I can count, I haven't even seen my character in game (after having to remake him 3 times due to the server crashing while I was creating him).

But you can't be mad - it's just Sony being Sony. It didn't become the company everyone wants to hate by handling things well. lol

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by Tenaka30

Try it.

It *does* feel like a console game.  Thats a good thing.

If you're expecting a full on MMORPG like others out at the moment then you'll be disappointed.  If however you want a simple and easily accesible game, what have you to lose but the time it takes to download?

(and they nicely implemented controller support, nothing like playing a sony game using a 360 controller :D )

Why exactly is that a good thing? Console games by nature don't last. MMORPGs by nature are made to last - especially when they were created as a P2P game (like DCUO). DCUO did nothing to maintain it's initial player base because the game was shallow and played like a dated console experience. 

Is it easy to pick up and play? Sure. But there isn't much to it. And once you play it for a few hours you put it down and never go back. A large reason for that is because it's an MMORPG designed for consoles (not well at that) and is poorly ported over to the PC. It takes a STRONG effort to chat with other players. So while the game is easy to play, it's hard as hell to do anything in the realm of socializing. So I would say that's a bad thing. That's why they lost players, had a huge initial player base drop off after only 1 month, and are now F2P. 

The game was bad 2 years prior to it's release when I tested it at Comic Con. And it was still bad at release. Still is.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by SwampRob

Originally posted by mCalvert

Still feels like a console game. Thats not a good thing.

This is the most common complaint I've heard about this game and it's what's kept me from trying it, even now that it's free.

this ^

but since its free now, i may play it when i buy the keypad for my xbox 360 controler so i can play and chat from my gamepad without having to switch to keyboard

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

Im liking it so far, i dont see big advantage from cash shop. Only thing im not liking is the servers, only been able to play like 4 hours on 3 days.

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

Oh i dont like that if you are free to play you cant post in the official forums thats kinda awkward

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Yuui

Want an example of why keyboard controls suck in this game? 

Let's take an example with ACrobatics. 

WASD is directional movenent seems normal. Yes? Yes. 

Then you have mouse to rotate the camera and actually change directions in which you are moving. 

Then you have spacebar to jump, which is also nice to use with WASD hand. right? Right.

Then you have HOLD spacebar to use the grappling hook. Still nice? right? Right.

And then you have FREAKING NUMLOCK TO USE ROCKET BOOTS? REALLY?

Now human has two hands. One hand is preocupied with mouse. Other with WASD and spacebar for the least, not counting combat and etc.

While basic layout seems nice, For a simple acrobatic movement an average human would need three hands with keyboard. Two with joystick. 

And the game is full of very idiotic keybind decisions (Potions getting bound to key 7, inability to rebind keys, inability to bind skills to whatever number key you want, etc)...

For a basic stuff controls might seem OK, but its painfully clear that you won't be able to competitively play the game without joystick latter on. 

So yes. Keyboard controls suck. 

That keybinding is pretty stupid, but just change it to ALT or something and its alot easier to use :) Can change keybindings you know!

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• phoenixclawsphoenixclaws Member UncommonPosts: 5

Actually, you are "prevented" from posting in all the gameplay forums, except for the game technical issues forum, until 72 hours after you sign up to play the game apparently. You should be able to post anywhere after the 3 day limit is over. That is what the forum moderators have said.

• Shadows59Shadows59 Member Posts: 47

The fact that this game has spent most of its time down is ludicrous. in three days i have been able to play a total of an hour between the freezes, the dc, and just full on no servers. And I am a paying customer. Should have known this was going to happen. It is an SOE brainchild afterall and has been riddled with problems since release.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

there's a nexon game called dragon nest that is basically very similar, only i like dragon nest and can't seem to get myself to like this game.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

It felt very console. If I could make a wish and have 5 new things added to the game they would be:

1. More pc friendly interface. Let us mouse click anywhere we want like in normal MMO.

2. More polygons onscreen. Although the characters are complex and detailed, the environments look a little too flat and sparse.

3. More background lore, atmospheric conversations between NPCs, tv news channels, or radio news as props. Make the world feel alive.

4. The ability to fly, speed run, and do acrobatic jumps right at level 1 breaks the excitement of being a hero in the DC universe. It seems like there should be a build up to it involving story, plot. Super speed, flying, and hulk-like jumping is not a trivial power lol.

5. More interactive and believable NPCs. Most of them just feel like quest dispensers or quest fodder.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I could handle allot of this game's  shortcomings for awile if the UI and chat interface were not the worst I have ever seen. I like DC but I hope the failure of this game sends a message that slapping together a console game for pc users is not cool. Not to mention that sony and pc in the same sentence are not to be trusted.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im having a lot of fun atm, well at least when Im not busy fighting the horrible UI and chat window :p That chat window and the socials functions in this game are very bad.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Renoaku

Okay I have to admit.

I really do not like Sony because of what they did to Hotz using DMCA, and false claims to obtain IP addresses from people who viewed a website simply becuase they wanted to modify their own PS3, and I agree they paid the cost for what they did, hopefully they learned from this mistake.

So somehow in your world trying to protect your product and IPs from pirates and crap, they somehow deserved to have there network hacked and innocent people affected? really, os your world that ****** up?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

As I remember when I have purchased and played game at start, that was fun thing, but essentially just big CONSOLE button masher on PC, like running some console emulation for PC. If I would like to play console game, well will switch to my PS2 or but new console ... but when I buy game for PC all I want is to play games in PC STYLE! So I'm not even remotely tempted to try again as I'm pretty positive about they have not redesigned from scratch UI suited for PC world.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Tenaka30

Originally posted by mCalvert

Still feels like a console game. Thats not a good thing.

This is the most common complaint I've heard about this game and it's what's kept me from trying it, even now that it's free.

Try it.

It *does* feel like a console game.  Thats a good thing.

If you're expecting a full on MMORPG like others out at the moment then you'll be disappointed.  If however you want a simple and easily accesible game, what have you to lose but the time it takes to download?

(and they nicely implemented controller support, nothing like playing a sony game using a 360 controller :D )

No thanks.   If anything, your post has convinced me not to.   I've read many comments about hideous keyboard/mouse controls.   If I can't play a game with those, I've no interest.

I've tried it and I tried the game with both, controller and mouse+keyboard and I can tell you the mouse+keyboard combo is better than controller option. For me atleast. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

No thanks.   If anything, your post has convinced me not to.   I've read many comments about hideous keyboard/mouse controls.   If I can't play a game with those, I've no interest.

I've been playing with a mouse and keyboard since release. I had no cramps.

This is not a game.