Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine Has Let Me Down.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

turbine failed me when they didn't make AC go f2p back when the game was completly dead and EQ2 and CoH and WoW took over. And even now, pffft, morons

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I don't understand gaming companies.  How is a game going to survive if they don't keep their promises, more so at least content updates???  

I read post on STO forums.  Same complaint.

I read post on LOTRO forums.  Same complaint.

I read post on DCUO forums. Same Complaint.

THE LIST GOES ON.....

If a game goes stale and there is nothing new to do, who will want to stay with the game?   I can't believe that gaming companies can ignore what gamers are asking for.  People will simply not roll a new character and do all the same things over again.  Some may, but a lot of others will not.

It's a sad state of affairs indeed, especially since this seems to be the trend with a lot of existing mmo's out there.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

How is this possible they went "F2P"?  I hear from people on this site that it fixs broken or tired old games.  I also hear from the devs they make millions as soon as its converted.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by tort0429

I don't understand gaming companies.  How is a game going to survive if they don't keep their promises, more so at least content updates???  

THE LIST GOES ON.....

If a game goes stale and there is nothing new to do, who will want to stay with the game?   I can't believe that gaming companies can ignore what gamers are asking for.  People will simply not roll a new character and do all the same things over again.  Some may, but a lot of others will not.

It's a sad state of affairs indeed, especially since this seems to be the trend with a lot of existing mmo's out there.

Did anyone ever consider that there might be a real reason? Like "they can't" "It's just not possible".

If so many game companies are not living up to expectations then maybe they were wrong for promising things that they eventually learned they can't deliver.

Maybe things are moving to a critical mass and mmo developers just can't do everything they want.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The curse of Themepark hits again...

Seriously, unless you have the resources of the WoW development team, themeparks are doomed to become failures. It is simply not possible for devs to create content at a pace to keep up with players.

That is why sandbox MMORPGs are superior, if well executed. Players need to create the content and populate the world, not devs. They should merely faciliate the players to create the content.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Originally posted by I_Return

One of the surreal things is maybe Turbine wants to die off and hand everything over to WB. I have a hard time witnessing some one like Jeff Steffel saying the game is on the right path, content wise, and audience wise.

Is Jeff still with Turbine?  In any case they have strung out the game too long and the result is that it is growing stale. They need to get Rohan out the door and get us on the way to Mordor fast. LI's should be kept...not thrown away and replaced.  Log in times just get longer and longer.  By Mordor we will log in, go eat dinner, and then come back to play the game. Oh and if you log into the LOTRO forums using your game password you are taking a huge risk. They should have implemented a seperate password system that you could activate in your account for the forums. All in all...not a well run company. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by Sovrath

THE LIST GOES ON.....

Did anyone ever consider that there might be a real reason? Like "they can't" "It's just not possible".

If so many game companies are not living up to expectations then maybe they were wrong for promising things that they eventually learned they can't deliver.

Maybe things are moving to a critical mass and mmo developers just can't do everything they want.

I'm with Sorvath here.  And there is a very good reason why there always seems to be a lack of content to some people -- players consume the content too quickly.   And that is a very fine line the developers have to walk.  If it takes players too long to explore the content in a new expansion -- levels, deeds, quests, scrimages and factions in the case of LotRO -- they will see the expansion as too hard and leave the game.  If the content is too easy, the population will quickly be left waiting for the next new release in order to do anything.

EQ1 had this problem in spades.  High end players would rush through a new expansion and whole guilds would stop playing (or play alts) until the next expansion came out.  Essentially, whole server populations would swell wildly for a month after an expansion, then large numbers would disappear.  They would log on when their guild had an event, but rarely otherwise.

There are always a group of players who will rush to consume all the content as fast as they can.  It gets to be almost a meta-game contest with these players, who can 'finish' first.   When they hit the limit, they complain.  The trick is for the developers to develop an expansion so that the majority of players will take time to progress and advance.  If the developer has done their job right, when the bulk of the playerbase (55+%) gets to the 'saturation point', there will be a new package of content ready to go.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

My first Character took a year and half to reach 55. I started prelaunch and played consistantly. The game was challenging and fun cause it DID take forever. My second character took 6months to get to end level. If I logged in oow to play my RK, it would take 3 weeks to reach moria.

the game content was scaled so fat in xp gained in the last year , that it is just stupid.

You surely arent talking about LOTRO. Year and a half to reach lvl50(yah it was 50)? You might have played more than 1 hour per month.

You could reach it in a week. I did. In fact i leveled 5 characters to 50 in a span of few months, maxed crafting on all of them (which took a LOT longer than now), running raids and instances, getting all of their class quests done, got to R7 in EM, which was enormous effort in those days when you got 1-6 renown per kill, got their virtues up...

Yah, you aint talking about LOTRO here. I seriously start to wonder aint some people mixed games that they have played up, because lot of people talk lot of things that are plain worng.

The content was scaled in xp for first 50-60 levels, but its so in any other themepark MMO. Lineage 2 has enormously scaled xp for first 40-60 levels (maybe even beyond that lately), seems you will be utterly disspointed with that as well. You can even read all about it here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/46/feature/5761/F2P-and-Goddess-of-Destruction-QA.html/page/1

Ah well.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Sorry, I forgot it waslevel 50....

I played all the time, I also played monster play alot, which helped me stay fresh in the game. One of the reason It took a long time was I didn't rush, I played the game and had fun rping with other players and going on adventures. THe community was a lot more robust and where interested more so in the content as wells as particapating other community members,. I think the radiance gear shattered that, and from that point on it turned what was a noble and fun community into the wow cycle of get the gear, who cares about anyone else.

I am putting LotrO in my review and I apologize for missing details like the level cap progression. When you like a game as much as I did leveling was an additive, not a focus. Exploring every inch of middle earth with new excitement.

Maybe you rushed through, but I didn't. Playing at the same pace as I did at launch, leveling is cut by 3/4 of the time.

Lineage 2 is a whole nother beast. Specifically since it has open world pvp.

My experience was the same as yours. Turbine has steadly dumbed-down the game, made content easier, made exp gain faster/easier and provided ever increasing ways to buff/boost and increase the power of your character and speed leveling experience since SoA.

They tried an artificial way to compensate for this trend by placing a gear-gated instance treadmill with Radience in MoM... which was absolutely the wrong move as that sort of thing only applies to a very limited subset of players....and was pretty foriegn to most of thier existing player base. In RoI they removed Radience....which was a good move (IMO)..... but failed to address the core problem that Radience (and things like dailies and skirmishes) was designed to address.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Sovrath

THE LIST GOES ON.....

I tend to agree with this.  And here's the other thing...which seems obvious to me...the only way enough content CAN be created is for multiple companies to be doing it at the same time.  By this I mean...you run out of content in WoW? You move to LOTRO. Run out of content here? Move to AoC. Finish the content there and move on to....  you get the idea.

Now could an MMO company generate content in a manner that satisfies the players? Sure. You'd be paying monthly sub of $50 so that they could hire the equivelant of 5 gaming studios to achieve the same effect I mentioned above. Or you could be wildly successful like WoW.  Why WoW doesn't translate it's $150 million into monthly gangbuster content, I don't know. I suspect because they can get away with doing less.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Dredphyre

I tend to agree with this.  And here's the other thing...which seems obvious to me...the only way enough content CAN be created is for multiple companies to be doing it at the same time.  By this I mean...you run out of content in WoW? You move to LOTRO. Run out of content here? Move to AoC. Finish the content there and move on to....  you get the idea.

Now could an MMO company generate content in a manner that satisfies the players? Sure. You'd be paying monthly sub of $50 so that they could hire the equivelant of 5 gaming studios to achieve the same effect I mentioned above. Or you could be wildly successful like WoW.  Why WoW doesn't translate it's $150 million into monthly gangbuster content, I don't know. I suspect because they can get away with doing less.

Pretty much thats the way of MMOs nowadays. Before, where there wasnt so many MMOs around you were generally stucked with one you do play, grinding and repeating same content. Now you can move to another of the same type and so on.

And thats Blizzards fault, i guess they are only ones with resources that push much much more content but they dont cause they get away with less. Why produce 3 new raids (or other types of content) that require 3 tmes the resources when you can prodce one and say "repeat this until new content update", and surprisingly people settle with it. People shoud vote with their wallets concerning Blizzard. But we see how that fares.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

4 years in

no new pvp map (lied to twice)

rehashed character models remeshed landscapes called new zones seriously? lolz

dragon raid? lore break much?

another 10 levels to grind...

PVP is worse then even

f2p creeps now no f2p freeps to make up the balance

most of people i know have left

Pay 2 win becoming the norm

more advertisements then the superbowl ould ever compete with to "buy now"

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by starwarsnut

4 years in

no new pvp map (lied to twice)

rehashed character models remeshed landscapes called new zones seriously? lolz

dragon raid? lore break much?

another 10 levels to grind...

PVP is worse then even

f2p creeps now no f2p freeps to make up the balance

most of people i know have left

Pay 2 win becoming the norm

more advertisements then the superbowl ould ever compete with to "buy now"

There is no more reason to play this game. There's just not. The Free 2 Play ruined it for me. They spent all the development time on that rather than improving existing system like the sluggish combat or character models. Lore was tossed out long ago, and had to be at least bent for there to be a game. It became pay to win with the advent of stat tomes. I could handle cosmetic items and quest packs (If I didn't already buy SoA) but ANYTHING that adjusts stats. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think one of the bad things that happened,if you can call it bad..lotro has got too successful for its own good..its now made for the f2p guys..i am seriously disappointed with isengard..everything is solo stuff..revamped old stuff.but has long as they are makin millions they dont give a toss about the peeps that have been there from the start.if i were not holding a lifetime sub it would have been cancelled months ago.i do hope they change the way this game ids heading..this was my favourite game..but i,m slowly losing interest.