Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDO, update 11 patch notes

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/12/ddos-update-11-arises-with-the-artful-artificer/

VIP players (subscribers) can start enjoying the new content today, but the rest of the playerbase is going to have to wait until the 15th to purchase the class and quest content from the DDO store.

full patch notes

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Update_11_Official

snippet:

Artificers use a mix of magic and technology to augment items and blast foes. Wielding rapid-fire crossbows and magical "rune arms," they have a fighting style unlike any other class. They also can build their own Iron Defender, a customizable pet that aids them in battle. Articers are a blend of Rogue and Arcane classes, and can also play a supporting role as a party healer.

For more detail on the Artificer, see the Release Notes.

NOTE: For a limited time, all Artificers will need to start at level 1, and play through all levels of the class. Players can True Reincarnate into an Artificer if they have the Artificer class unlocked, but players cannot swap non-Artificer levels for Artificer levels using Lesser or Greater Reincarnations, and cannot take Artificer levels from the Veteran Status boat.

new class, Artificer,  Dev Q&A

http://www.ddo.com/us/ddogameinfo/developer-diaries/1636-artificer-developer-qaa

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

yes its the norm that vip get to preview new content for a few days no biggie what should be said thats more interrsting is that turbine is screwing all vip by forcing them to pay for the new class when it should be favor unlockable but isnt because there not enough house c favor even with the new pack

im not vip but seriously poepl that are wanting to play this game for the love of god dont go the vip route unless u like being bent over

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Asm0deus

yes its the norm that vip get to preview new content for a few days no biggie what should be said thats more interrsting is that turbine is screwing all vip by forcing them to pay for the new class when it should be favor unlockable but isnt because there not enough house c favor even with the new pack

im not vip but seriously poepl that are wanting to play this game for the love of god dont go the vip route unless u like being bent over

I am so glad you posted this. I was considering coming back to DDO to try the artificer class. Now I know not to bother.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the Artifcer class was available to purchase for everyone yesterday

its 995 on DDO store

I bought it and played around with it on the newbie isle

I had fun with the iron puppy but hard to comment based on level one :)

Turbine also revamped the Heyton tomb quest -- flows nicer now and better lore while doing it

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Yes Turbine screwed VIP's.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Zezel

But didn´t they give you 1500 free TP this summer?

Originally posted by Azrile

They give away points for free(not really free since points cost them nothing so its not nearly the big deal some people make it out to be) to make up for some screw up. Turbine always tries to fix mistakes this way.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Azrile

I don't see why they still don't give them free to VIP instead of this. I subbed right when this ended I guess, so ~ month later, arti comes out and I haven't see any of the free TP VIP were supposed to get to help them purchase the arti. So I'm sitting here, contemplating shoving another 10+ bucks their way to play the arti now since it would really go well with a rogue build I'm doing.

Oh well. Guess they don't get any extra money from me. I'll just wait. Might unsub until arti actually comes out.

• GrahlGrahl Member Posts: 23

Yeah, VIP is a scam at this point.  I canceled VIP before U11 came out.  Don't get artificer as part of the subscription, and they basically gave away the only exclusive VIP perk, elite unlock, to anybody who TRs and it costs nothing to TR if you run epics.  I have several multi TR characters already so I didn't see any reason to stay VIP besides a free 500 TP every month , everything else you can get as premium or F2P now.  Who is going to pay $10-15 a month for a sub to a game when you can just buy the good parts for a lot less money in the long run and play forever for free?  And updates come out so infrequently, it's crazy to keep a sub going when you can just spend nothing for 3 or 4 months between each content update as a premium.

VIPs really got hosed, after 2 years of being VIP I canceled and went on to play other games.  I like DDO, but I really feel like Turbine screwed VIPs over and I wasted 2 years of sub money when I could have just bought all the content I wanted and got nearly all the same perks for less than what I payed in subs.  The whole point of VIP was that it was supposed to be the highest tier payment model with the best perks, but it really has none of that now and never will because premiums will have a cow if Turbine ever tried to give VIPs anything significant that they can't have.

Premium is better if you can afford to blow around $200-300 up front and just have all the content forever with no monthly charge.  Then every 3 months or so when new content comes out, pay another 1-2k TP to get that, part or all of which can be payed for with favor TP if you level up some characters or do favor runs between updates.  Even if you buy the TP to get new updates, it's still cheaper than VIP just because new content doesn't come out very often and it doesn't cost very much TP when it does.

I don't know, maybe it's part of Turbine's plan to try and get everybody to go Premium for some reason.  I can't see why they wouldn't want to keep subscribed customers though.  Marketing 101, keeping long time customers is far more cost effective than getting new customers, and I don't see how Turbine is going to keep any VIPs the way things have been going.  VIPs will either go Premium, which is still good for Turbine, or they will get pissed and play other games like I did, which is not good for Turbine.  I don't see any upside to that marketing strategy, at best people will go premium, but some of them will just feel they got scammed and quit DDO.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just disappointed in the way Turbine has handled VIPs.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

If they ever decide to actually reward their players by giving experience for killing something, then I might decide to play again!

(HINT for next feature in an update)

DnD paper game is one of the best around, but this game has too many crippling features to deserve the name!!!

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by zastroph

If they ever decide to actually reward their players by giving experience for killing something, then I might decide to play again!

(HINT for next feature in an update)

DnD paper game is one of the best around, but this game has too many crippling features to deserve the name!!!

You miss the point, that is actually one of the coolest features of DDO. Complete the objectives, you get XP. You can do it any way you're able.

Actually you can not do it unless your fanatical about it!

Start out on a quest, kill something, get injured, return to city to heal, start again = PATHETIC!!!

Start out on a quest, kill something, get injured, return to city to heal, start again = PATHETIC!!!

Proper play is rewarded.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Proper play is rewarded.

NO, repition is rewarded...boring!

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Proper play is rewarded.

NO, repition is rewarded...boring!

How much of the game have you actually played? I find it funny you think that DDO should reward EXP per kill when the game is not designed to run that way and you seem not to notice you are one of VERY FEW players EVER to bring this up.

Go check the real DDO forums and see this.

The fact you are getting injured/killed so often should tell you that you are playing poorly. But instead of seeing that fact you think the problem lies elsewhere. It does not.