Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healer: Which one is the best and which is the most fun.

ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Which one is the best and which is the most fun?

I have only played rift until about level 20 or so in the past. The really enjoyed healing with a Shaman in WOW back in the day. Is there anything similar to that ingame currently.

I tried the shaman in rift and it reminded me more of the Bear shaman in Age of conan. How is the bear shaman endgame?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

With Rift's unique talent tree system you can play up to 4 different healer builds.  I had 4 running when I played including one that was good for soloing, one that was a good PVE group heal, another that was very strong at single target heals (to keep tanks alive) and one that was PVP focused.

Successful healing in Rift is always a combination of abilities and you won't find general consensus on a single "best" healing build, so many are very effective which is one of the game's strong points.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Chloromancers are fun (at higher levels) because they heal through damage they deal.  It's an interesting concept.  I found that Clerics are very strong in most situations and they have 3(?) different healing mechanics to choose from.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • dulfydulfy Member Posts: 10

Hey, never played WoW so not sure shaman class there is like. I had the most fun playing sent/warden as a cleric healer. High mobility, lots of HoTs and lots of AoE heals :)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Which one is best also depends on your level, as in case you don't have a lvl50char, not every healing soul does well with just a few points. Starting out with a handfull of points to spend, Sent/Warden gives you a well rounded early level healer and saves you some frustration you could run into with the same amount of points spent in say Purifier. Some healers swear on going all Warden early, while others warn you from doing that mistake. Again, it's all up to your preference and healing task.

As to your shaman: while with Rift's soulsystem you can come very close to the mechanics of WoW's Holypala, Holypriest as well as Druid and Discpriest (both to an extend at least) and way beyond those, setting up something that is similar to a resto shaman isn't quite as possible. In Rift you can always get your shaman's riptide, small/big heals of all kind, natures swiftness, various cures/cleanses and even a trinket that emulates sort of a chain heal. But the sort of the shaman's signature heal "earth shield" similar spell is only castable on yourself. Also, there is nothing that resembles the totem system and the variety it offers.

There's very much room to improve, like i.e. a real healing pet would be awesome. Until then, many classes often feel like they miss their unique "it" like WoW's shapeshift, shadowform, conjuring food, porting players or such.

Unfortunately Rift is rather weak in this department as most souls' spells and talents are often very similar in general and seem to repeat themself with a different name/icon/value allover the various soultrees.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Kyleran

With Rift's unique talent tree system you can play up to 4 different healer builds.  I had 4 running when I played including one that was good for soloing, one that was a good PVE group heal, another that was very strong at single target heals (to keep tanks alive) and one that was PVP focused.

Successful healing in Rift is always a combination of abilities and you won't find general consensus on a single "best" healing build, so many are very effective which is one of the game's strong points.

A person's playstyle will also come into this - because even if they may drop one in a spreadsheet to argue that X is better than Y, Y is usually close enough to X that if a person can play Y better than X - then Y would be better for them.

Then there are also other variables to take into account.

If you reduce the damage your folks are taking, you do not have to do as much healing.  If you can increase the damage your folks are doing, you do not have to do as much healing.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by dulfy

Hey, never played WoW so not sure shaman class there is like. I had the most fun playing sent/warden as a cleric healer. High mobility, lots of HoTs and lots of AoE heals :)

Same. I've also never played WoW, so no I idea what the Shaman is like. However in Rift I've played pretty much every heal spec in the game, from the PuriSent to the Senticar, but no matter what nothing compares to the Warden/Sent and how it handles in a dungeon environment. But I guess that's more to do with personal preference and how much I dislike being rooted in long cast-bars.

So my best advice is to experiment and find what best suits you.