Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could eve benefit by removing the gates and jump bridges?

2»

Comments

• PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83

You do not go radically changing a way a game is played almost a decade after it came out, unless you want it to die. CCP could add new 0.0 regions built the way you wanted. Or a better idea would be to add lore into EVE about the Jove leaving their space and then open their space up that is already on the map. The only way to travel to Jove space and between the systems there would be via wormholes and not gates.

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I suspect that the jump gate system and the zonal separation is of key importance to the server setup, allowing all players on one server. At least, the warp from zone to zone system is, even if they removed the jump gates and allowed youto warp from anywhere

Admittedly, without gates, you can then allow you to jump more directly to your desired system, meaning few jumps and less travel time. Interesting...

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

• Remove gates (allows travel) Adapt the already implimented black ops system for zone changes. Only allow this mechanic to behave like a gate only to traverse to the next system but with a vast lets call it a zone on the side of the system where the gate was positioned with a random entry point. Make this zone viewable on the solar system map and rt. click bookmarkable. You would still have to travel across the system to get to the next jump zone. Blackops would still have the jump engine ability to jump several systems based on their jump fuel as well as jump freighters.

• Re-invent the POS  (allows housing) Have different classes of a POS. Industrial/Research/MoonGoo - Same as existing pos mechanics. Military/Outpost - No manufacture or mining capability only defense and storage possible. Military/Outpost POS is not tied to a moons orbit and has the ability to cloak with a cloaking module anchored and a slightly higher fuel consumption to allow footholds in Null to be established for smaller Corps. A POS cloak would behave like a ship cloak and can be popped revealing its location with lets say a 15 min cooldown to recloak. I doubt you will survive the pos guns tho in decloaking it.

This also would mean a complete rework of Sov mechanics 

Increase of Sov costs to make it impossible to maintain empty space for power blocks

Decrease of Sov costs of occupied and busy systems to almost free.

Afk cloaker solution thru probe system or just a random decloak on complete inactivity for

more than 30 mins.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by Saxx0n

• Remove gates (allows travel) Adapt the already implimented black ops system for zone changes. Only allow this mechanic to behave like a gate only to traverse to the next system but with a vast lets call it a zone on the side of the system where the gate was positioned with a random entry point. Make this zone viewable on the solar system map and rt. click bookmarkable. You would still have to travel across the system to get to the next jump zone. Blackops would still have the jump engine ability to jump several systems based on their jump fuel as well as jump freighters.

• Re-invent the POS  (allows housing) Have different classes of a POS. Industrial/Research/MoonGoo - Same as existing pos mechanics. Military/Outpost - No manufacture or mining capability only defense and storage possible. Military/Outpost POS is not tied to a moons orbit and has tha ability to cloak with a cloaking module anchored and a slightly higher fuel consumption to allow footholds in Null to be established for smaller Corps.

This also would mean a complete rework of Sov mechanics 

Increase of Sov costs to make it impossible to maintain empty space for power blocks

Decrease of Sov costs of occupied and busy systems to almost free.

Afk cloaker solution thru probe system or just a random decloak on complete inactivity for

more than 30 mins.

+1

I dig it  :)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The idea of having no gates is as old as EvE, but you need them unfortunately to slice the universe into little pieces, as there's no server big enough to do it wihtout "instanced" starsystems.

So, what could be done is, that the whole game gets shifted towards wormholes, where the known systems all have stable wormholes (i.e. stargates). That wouldn't change anything tho.

What can't be done is to have the whole game setup with wormholes like those we know currently in the game, as this would rip the whole universe apart, and noone could actually claim anything then single star-systems that are not really connected to others.
    You wouldn't have tradingroutes, autopilots, etc and jumpdrives wouldn't work aswell.

The system is not perfect, but it's the best currently possible.

Originally posted by Yalexy

The idea of having no gates is as old as EvE, but you need them unfortunately to slice the universe into little pieces, as there's no server big enough to do it wihtout "instanced" starsystems.

So, what could be done is, that the whole game gets shifted towards wormholes, where the known systems all have stable wormholes (i.e. stargates). That wouldn't change anything tho.

What can't be done is to have the whole game setup with wormholes like those we know currently in the game, as this would rip the whole universe apart, and noone could actually claim anything then single star-systems that are not really connected to others.

You wouldn't have tradingroutes, autopilots, etc and jumpdrives wouldn't work aswell.

As I stated the mechanic already exisits in the black ops function. Nothing will change the actual zones. The only thing that would change is the removal of the gate objects in game and instead of the little spot near the gate expand it to the large area I proposed.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

As I stated the mechanic already exisits in the black ops function. Nothing will change the actual zones. The only thing that would change is the removal of the gate objects in game and instead of the little spot near the gate expand it to the large area I proposed.

Move a fleet, or even a small group of people, and have them enter the next system at different positions.... have fun.

Move a fleet, or even a small group of people, and have them enter the next system at different positions.... have fun.

Simply alter the "warp fleet to" command and add the "jump fleet" command.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

One the other hand I had an intereting dream based on this thread. What if they took out ALL of the gates.

Then we are given 3 classes of gates to build based on how far they can link.

We then rebuild Eve's galaxy with a new series of routes.

Then I thought. What if there was a whole new galaxy, unknown, to explore where we had to probe out the star systems. In other words the whole new galaxy was WH-like space that we would have to probe down a WH. Build a jump gate to the linking star system. Almost like a Hi-Sec version of the current WH space.

Then it dawned on me. What about a whole wh-like galaxy space set like that dedicated to Faction Warfare. Take and hold gates, stations, the whole unexplored galaxy being fought over soley by factional warfare types. No player Sov, strictly Factional (I would see the normal Empire factions then an outlaw faction). The mid-point between carebear and null-sec PvP. No pvp within a faction while in that space, but no holds barred between factions.

Would be Hi-seclo-sec
    ull-secwormholefactionSpace.

Faction Warfare corps would then have a paralell to 0.0 Sov mechanics backed by Faction Warfare. A more RvR type environment that may cater to a crowd that might not be cut out for 0.0 Sov but would like some solid factional warfare.

Was a nice dream... I saw subscriptions triple in the dream with only moderate rage from 0.0 players ;)