Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So which classes are really considered support class?

2»

Comments

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

If you choose to play a 'support' character, you will be gimp.   I highly recommend you play Juggernaut with a Sorceror.

If you don't want to tank, go Maurauder.

No matter what happens, do not choose the same base class as your wife.  This will end in sadness.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is a curious thing - mixing the "words" from the descriptions offered here and there with toying around with some of the talent calculators out there to get a better feel - though not as good as you could get if you were playing.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

easy answers

Sounds like you got it down to 4 classes:

Smuggler, Trooper, Imperial Agent, or Bounty Hunter.

Next decide on what you side you want to play for then you narrowed it down to two.

Of course by the looks of it, if you want pure utility I would go eitehr Smuggler or Imperial Agent

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by VirusDancer

It is a curious thing - mixing the "words" from the descriptions offered here and there with toying around with some of the talent calculators out there to get a better feel - though not as good as you could get if you were playing.

I have tried that too. It is hard to really grasp it all when you haven't actually played it.

Originally posted by Osmanthus

If you choose to play a 'support' character, you will be gimp.   I highly recommend you play Juggernaut with a Sorceror.

No matter what happens, do not choose the same base class as your wife.  This will end in sadness.

Out of curiousity aside from being "gimp" why do you think the juggernaut would play better with a sorc? I am mostly concerned with PVP over PVE. I will do all the PVE I can but in the end PVP is where it is at. Not flaming or anything I am legitametly intrigued by you saying this. The thought has crossed my mind.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Beacker

Originally posted by VirusDancer

I have tried that too. It is hard to really grasp it all when you haven't actually played it.

Yep, all you can do is some prelim work - get an idea - don't build a fortress around it...leave room to be flexible - and then see how things play out when you actually play.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by Beacker

Originally posted by Osmanthus

Out of curiousity aside from being "gimp" why do you think the juggernaut would play better with a sorc? I am mostly concerned with PVP over PVE. I will do all the PVE I can but in the end PVP is where it is at. Not flaming or anything I am legitametly intrigued by you saying this. The thought has crossed my mind.

If I had to guess at what he is saying. I would think "gimp" is based on his experience with other games. No one but full beta testers would know how the trees are working atm.

The Juggernaut has both a Tank and DPS role. It can main tank and be a high DPS class based on the trees you use. So you could make a good build for PvP and still be able to be an off tank with the heavy armor IMO.

Realy though, all classes have a DPS tree. So you should be able to PvP with the DPS build. The only issue with the Agent and Smuggler  would be picking the AC with the stealth over having to be dependent on cover for PvP. It may take you a bit to find the right one. I wouldn't worry about it that much really.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

For what it's worth: What I hear from testers is that everyone praises the Imperial Agent storyline as something spectacular, and one of the best BW stories in years! Apparently it has some of the best twists, romances and a great voice actor.

I'm really getting sold on it as well. What I really love about it, is that it's one of the lesser known archertypes in Star Wars, but the idea is sound. Not a smug bastard like a Smuggler, or a bras Bounty Hunter, the Imperial Agent is more like James Bond... IN SPACE. 

Use Jawas to make martinis out of on a outer rim Cantina? god darn son' Sounds too cool to be true!

Thanks all for the replies. I am still on the wall as to what to do exactly. Hopefully I can get a beta invite soon test out some classes while I search for bugs.

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Going off what's been posted on the offical forums by Dev's and the websites Friday updates, this is what i've concluded....

Bounty Hunter Mercenary - DPS / Healer

Bounty Hunter Powertech - Tank

Imperial Agent Operative - DPS / Healer / Stealth

Imperial Agent Sniper - DPS

Sith Warrior Juggernaut - Tank / DPS

Sith Warrior Marauder - DPS / Stealth

Sith Inquisitor Assassin - Tank / DPS / Stealth

Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer - DPS / Healer

You only have enough points to master one Tree with a few points left over to dabble in another, Bioware has stated that there balance is designed around a person mastering one of the trees, you can spread your points out across all 3 trees but that would probably gimp you as you wouldn't have the most powerful skills at the top of the tree.

You can pretty much take any profession you want regardless of what your wife plays because both of you will get companions that can fill in any roll your missing.. so say you wanted to have a few heals but mostly want to DPS, you can be the Bounty Hunter Mercenary, that gives you DPS and you'll get the basic heals from that class by default so you have that little heal you can throw out there, you can then use one of your companions as the tank....  That's the beauty of having companions :)