Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just installed AoC.....few questions

panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397
Hi, just installed AoC and have a few questions i hope someone could answer :)
I'm still on trial account...how do i get forum access?
Seems to take a long time to verify files before launching...this normal?
I see various download content options during launch screen, new player dl, level 1-20 dl etc, could i tick all those to get the full client....do you have to pay seperately for the rise of the godslayer expansion?
When i enable dx10 full screen mode my screen shifts to the left...can i recentre it?
Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Pan

Comments

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

As trial account or free2play user you only can read the forums. Sadly only those that actually pay the subscription fee are able to post there.

The launcher sadly is (in my very personal opinion) pretty bad when it comes to checking the files. There's a tool called "Aoc quickstart" that lets you skip the verifying the files unless there is a new patch out. Though I'm not 100% that the tool is still up-to-date.

The download options only enable you to download more data about the various playfields right at the start to decrease the volume of files you have to download during the actually playing. It is said to decrease lag and loading times but has no influence on where you can or can't go.

The Rise of the Godslayer expansion has to be bought seperately BUT that only makes sense if you actually pay the subscription fee too. Just buying the expansion still wouldn't allow you to actually play it. You need both the bought expansion and an active subscription to access this content.

I've never had the issue about the screen shifting somewhere but then I've never played in DX10. All I could think of would be to enable windowed mode and switch back to full-screen mode maybe. That's nothing but a shot into the dark from me though.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Thanks for the info :) also i have noticed that some players  and npc's appear greyed out until i get close to them....is this normal?

Pan

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

It's not normal, no. As I said I have no experience with DX10 but I guess it could be due to the view ranges you chose. In the video options you also can set the view distance for stuff like NPC and other players. I would check if it maybe is set to a low value and try increasing it if you aren't already on the performance limit of your computer.

Thanks for all the info you've provided so far :) The only thing that is offputting for me are armour appearances. I'm currently playing Aion and characters look cool...a lot better than Aoc. Does armour improve ingame? i know theres a vanity appearance window where you can select different looks for your character much like swg, i would love to know how much you can tailor the look of your character :(

I'm tempted to subscribe to unlock classes that do interest me....so tempted heh!......just want a fine looking character :)

Pan

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225

With the new vanity tab option you have plenty of options to look as you like. But if you don't want to buy social sets from the item store you will need a bit of patience. The gear you get in Tortage is quite dull as you said.

I take it the item store takes real currency? I'll have to check it out, can you access store offline?

Pan

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

There are some nice looking class specific arnor sets over the course of the game. Most of the best looking armor sets are at 80 thou. I especially like some of the pvp armor sets. I tend to prefer the Stygian (ala Egyptian) themed sets myself. The armor sets out of Khaiti have a more chinese style to them. I agree with you that the beginning gear in Tortage looks yucky.

Edit: The ingame store has more items. The out of game store is mostly account services with just a few items.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I appologize if this is considered hijacking the thread (but it seems relevant to you, so hope it helps a little)

Is AoC worth coming back to these days?  I know performance has increased but how hard is it to find dungeon groups and other stuff like that?  Also, is the cash shop a pay 2 win style or is it simply the cosmetic style.

• VIIKINGVIIKING Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by marinrider

I appologize if this is considered hijacking the thread (but it seems relevant to you, so hope it helps a little)

Is AoC worth coming back to these days?  I know performance has increased but how hard is it to find dungeon groups and other stuff like that?  Also, is the cash shop a pay 2 win style or is it simply the cosmetic style.

Its well worth comming back to if you have not played in a long time the dungeons are still active at max lvl but anything under that you will struggle to get a group together, pay to win is not to big of a issue in the cash shops the gear you get there is good but the best gear is worked for in game not payed for in the cash shop though if you are undergeared in PVP you will get killed pretty much everytime.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by VIIKING

Its well worth comming back to if you have not played in a long time the dungeons are still active at max lvl but anything under that you will struggle to get a group together, pay to win is not to big of a issue in the cash shops the gear you get there is good but the best gear is worked for in game not payed for in the cash shop though if you are undergeared in PVP you will get killed pretty much everytime.

Have not played since launch really.  Made it to around 60, then quit.  Then they were like "Made it to 50? Heres a free level 50!" Which can quite possibly be the worst idea ever, but I logged in for a few minutes then logged out, and havnt played since.  Do they still do the free 50 thing?  

• VIIKINGVIIKING Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by VIIKING

Have not played since launch really.  Made it to around 60, then quit.  Then they were like "Made it to 50? Heres a free level 50!" Which can quite possibly be the worst idea ever, but I logged in for a few minutes then logged out, and havnt played since.  Do they still do the free 50 thing?  

The Free 50 was like a one time Deal its not what they do all the time it will pop up every now and then with a promotion pack where you spend 10 bucks and get a pet some potions and a free lvl 50 

Thanks for the info :) I think I'll be subbing. Another thing I liked about Aion was the shared bank vault.... Does Aoc have the same thing. Is there a broker/auction house? How about in game mail for sending items to alt's?

Pan

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Im sorry but playing AoC is like a virgin woman selling herself on the street, its trash.........

God dont make no trash.......lmao

Well I wont contribute to it....hah

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Hi, just installed AoC and have a few questions i hope someone could answer :)

Sure.

I'm still on trial account...how do i get forum access?
    I dont beleive you can get forum access on a trial account, But if you sub only for one month you should be able to.

Seems to take a long time to verify files before launching...this normal?
    Yes its normal.

I see various download content options during launch screen, new player dl, level 1-20 dl etc, could i tick all those to get the full client...
    By selecting all the content options yes you will have the full client ready to use, Being able to take use of it in game depends on what you have purchased

do you have to pay seperately for the rise of the godslayer expansion?
    Yes.

When i enable dx10 full screen mode my screen shifts to the left...can i recentre it? Thanks in advance for any tips :)
    That doesnt sound normal, Can you provide video card specs?

I take it the item store takes real currency? I'll have to check it out, can you access store offline?
    Yep store uses real currency, Buy "Points" to spend on gear in the in game browser, Points can be purcahsed from account management

Is AoC worth coming back to these days?
    I think it's come along way, And its really worth a shot.

I know performance has increased but how hard is it to find dungeon groups and other stuff like that?
    Lots of people still run sanctum and such, But some of the higher level content you may need to fall back on a guild for.

Also, is the cash shop a pay 2 win style or is it simply the cosmetic style?
    Imo they make the items in store redundant in nearly every case, example; Lvl 20 epic bow from store wont help you when your getting smashed by lvl 35 players with blues that far out way your epic bow.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by panache

Thanks for the info :) I think I'll be subbing. Another thing I liked about Aion was the shared bank vault.... Does Aoc have the same thing. Is there a broker/auction house? How about in game mail for sending items to alt's?

You use the in game mail to send to alts. There is no shared bank.

BTW, for the other poster the gear in the shop is mostly low quality 80 blues or the low level epics (which can look cool as wardrobe gear). You can get much better gear from solo questing collecting Marks. Even the basic level 80 blue crafted gear is better.  

Edit: here is a link to the gear sets by class http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=238964

Hi, it seems the client won't save video settings. When I load the game dx10 and my resolution 1280x1084 is okay but I can see the minimise and close boxes top right of screen....when I click fullscreen have to reset resolution again :( I see posts about the same subject on aoc forums

Pan