Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekend, darn no SWToR for you sadness thread

2»

Comments

• thg7fthg7f Member Posts: 87

With baseball season over (Go Cardinals!), I'm getting a little antsy... But I have Skyrim in 11 days and that will hold me over until SWTOR.

It sucks being a hardcore player at heart but a casual player in availability. ~NightCloak

• seitz55seitz55 Member Posts: 7

imageI was just drifting around the house this last weekend without Tor to play. I've been in closed beta for nearly 4 months now.  Maybe this week idk- 

Closed Beta tester for WAR.CO.FE.DCUO.SWTOR

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

My guess is we will have something for this weekend or next. Hopefully this weekend lol. I'll be honest I was pretty skeptical of this game at first. One huge aspect of why I want to play is simply for the population. After looking into it more and more I kind of got over the theme of it being Star Wars. It seems to be a well written game. Love the way the classes are and the warzones look cool as hell. I def wanna play some Huttball! As for what side I will play haven't decided. Might go Sith something since that is what my friends are leaning towards.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by mmogawd

With 200 hours of story per character, there appears to be plenty to keep you busy.  I always have a lot of alts, and i'll play through most of them, assuming the game doesn't completely suck :)

This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions about TOR. If you really believe there are 200 hours of story for each class,  then you're gonna be in for a big disappointment when you finally start playing.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Fratman

With 200 hours of story per character, there appears to be plenty to keep you busy.  I always have a lot of alts, and i'll play through most of them, assuming the game doesn't completely suck :)

This has to be one of the biggest misconceptions about TOR. If you really believe there are 200 hours of story for each class,  then you're gonna be in for a big disappointment when you finally start playing.

Proof? Or is this just random bullshit that you're pulling out of nowhere? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious where the info is coming from.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

200 hours of story per character is total character story progression.

Thats not to say that every story you go through wil be 200 hours in itself, or is it to say that it will take 200 hours to get to max level if you want to rush and grind it out.

What 200 hours is, is an estimate from starting a character to getting it to the end of the characters story arc,  and everything a player would do in between.  Notice, that isn't to say the story ends at max level,  or that you will be at max level when your story ends.   Its just an estimated number based on current player experience.

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by rygard49

Proof? Or is this just random bullshit that you're pulling out of nowhere? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious where the info is coming from.

Of those 200 hours of content, around 180-190 of them is shared content for everyone on the same faction (kill 10 quests)

So if you want to experience those 10-20 hours of unique content for each class, you will have to do the same quests in the same planets in order to have enough lvl to progress the class quests.

It's funny because there are people that actually belive that SWTOR has 1600 hours of unique content.

Originally posted by Askedan

Of those 200 hours of content, around 180-190 of them is shared content for everyone on the same faction (kill 10 quests)

So if you want to experience those 10-20 hours of unique content for each class, you will have to do the same quests in the same planets in order to have enough lvl to progress the class quests.

It's funny because there are people that actually belive that SWTOR has 1600 hours of unique content.

Again, this depends on how you play - too.  In truth, you could play, even the same class over again and see content you didn't see before,  or, just as a single play through, yes you'll have a lot of quests that you've done before, such as world quests or bonus quests,  but you can always level through space combat, PvP, or flashpoints if you wanted to.  

And aside from all that,  in comparison to most other games,  when rolling a new class there WILL be content you've never seen before EVERYTIME.   It doesn't always have to be cut and dry or repetitive,  but then again, its all based on player choice.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Again, this depends on how you play - too.  In truth, you could play, even the same class over again and see content you didn't see before,  or, just as a single play through, yes you'll have a lot of quests that you've done before, such as world quests or bonus quests,  but you can always level through space combat, PvP, or flashpoints if you wanted to.  

And aside from all that,  in comparison to most other games,  when rolling a new class there WILL be content you've never seen before EVERYTIME.   It doesn't always have to be cut and dry or repetitive,  but then again, its all based on player choice.

"this depends on how you play"

Wait, since when is SWTOR a sandbox?

Stop, please, stop, no one will level up with the same 3 BGs, or that thing you call "space combat".

This is a themepark MMORPG, and people wil level up with quests (there is nothing else), and since the game doesn't have much replayability.. well... we all know what will happen.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

200 hours is story content ONLY. Story content is not shared between classes, its unqiue too that class. Chapter 1 was said too be 3x the average length of KOTOR. That's already way beyond 10-20 hours. 

Stop, please, stop, no one will level up with the same 3 BGs, or that thing you call "space combat".

This is a themepark MMORPG, and people wil level up with quests (there is nothing else), and since the game doesn't have much replayability.. well... we all know what will happen.

Lol,  whatever you say.  The FACT is,  you don't need to run through all of the same missions over and over again.  You get rewards and experience through space combat,  and you get rewards through PvP,  as well as flashpoints, group content (which is also repeatable)... etc.

Am I saying you can level (or would want to level) all the way to max doing nothing but these things?  Well,  its the same as asking if you want to level all the way to max level just killing mobs all day.  You CAN do it, and maybe for a level or two when the XP is good you might do it,  but its unlikely you'll WANT to do it for an extended period of time.

And theres the point right there.  You have choices in how to progress.  So while you might have a LOT of fun on one character playing PvP and progress a number of levels from it on one character,  you might find that you rather do nothing but story missions on another.

Or you could roll a support class and find that a lot of people request your assistance on flashpoints or group missions and you level that way instead of doing bonus quests or PvP or side missions.

Does that mean people will forget their class stories or not level through their class stories most of the way to level cap?  It doesn't mean that at all,  what it does mean is,  people have choices for progression. 

Lol,  whatever you say.  The FACT is,  you don't need to run through all of the same missions over and over again.  You get rewards and experience through space combat,  and you get rewards through PvP,  as well as flashpoints, group content (which is also repeatable)... etc.

Am I saying you can level (or would want to level) all the way to max doing nothing but these things?  Well,  its the same as asking if you want to level all the way to max level just killing mobs all day.  You CAN do it, and maybe for a level or two when the XP is good you might do it,  but its unlikely you'll WANT to do it for an extended period of time.

And theres the point right there.  You have choices in how to progress.  So while you might have a LOT of fun on one character playing PvP and progress a number of levels from it on one character,  you might find that you rather do nothing but story missions on another.

Or you could roll a support class and find that a lot of people request your assistance on flashpoints or group missions and you level that way instead of doing bonus quests or PvP or side missions.

Does that mean people will forget their class stories or not level through their class stories most of the way to level cap?  It doesn't mean that at all,  what it does mean is,  people have choices for progression. 

You can also lvl up with mob grind, instanced bgs and raids in Rift.

The game is still bleeding subs, so...

Originally posted by Jimmy562

200 hours is story content ONLY. Story content is not shared between classes, its unqiue too that class. Chapter 1 was said too be 3x the average length of KOTOR. That's already way beyond 10-20 hours. 

LOL, you are funny.

The idea behind that was everything you do in between,  not just your story in particular.  Yes, your story will take a certain amount of time to complete,  this includes some side activities as well in it, as you can't level to max level strictly from doing ONLY story content.  You will have other things in your way that you will complete as you progress through your story, and in that aspect you end up with a big block of content.  Some of it is personal story and some of it is your journey to get to the next portion of that story.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

You're also forgetting the open world PvP.  The devs have already specifically stated that once you get past the intro, you can level up completely through PvP.  Just because YOU don't like the option, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You also have the choice of skipping personal story and just doing world quests, grind mobs, etc.

And if individual personal story doesn't count as "replayability" to you... well, there's nothing we can do about your perception.

You can also lvl up with mob grind, instanced bgs and raids in Rift.

1) SWTOR isn't RIFT.

2) I thought "No one will level up with the same 3 BGs and that thing you call "space combat".       But now all I'm hearing is  "well this other game has it and it is failing."  Make up your mind.  Either people will do it but the game will fail or people won't do it.  If you want to argue a stance argue with me and not yourself.

3)  The game is what it is,  and you can do exactly what I stated.  People have a choice on what they want to do,  if people take the story aspect first and foremost it will be because they chose that route - and likely because thats what they enjoy most.  If they are doing something they don't enjoy then they are wasting their time.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

The idea behind that was everything you do in between,  not just your story in particular.  Yes, your story will take a certain amount of time to complete,  this includes some side activities as well in it, as you can't level to max level strictly from doing ONLY story content.  You will have other things in your way that you will complete as you progress through your story, and in that aspect you end up with a big block of content.  Some of it is personal story and some of it is your journey to get to the next portion of that story.

They stated you could level to max by doing your story only.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I have no idea what you're babbling about. But I'll say it again- there isn't anywhere close to 200 hours of story per class in TOR. 

You will be raiding and grinding purples just like WoW, and story will quickly become an annoying thing you spacebar through as fast as possible.

I have no idea what you're babbling about. But I'll say it again- there isn't anywhere close to 200 hours of story per class in TOR. 

You will be raiding and grinding purples just like WoW, and story will quickly become an annoying thing you spacebar through as fast as possible.

You have no idea what you're talking about, hence, why you have no idea what I'm babbling about.  Its understandable.  

They stated you could level to max by doing your story only.

Gaou will ikely be able to provide the dev quote from DE that explains this more clearly as anything that I can comment on specifically is blocked by the NDA currently.  DE DID release a quote breaking down the 200 hours more succinctly though, and saying it in so many words that this was mostly an estimate.

Through the magic of search I found it:

Hey Folks,

Glad to clarify. Please bear with me, though, as it can be hard when we're talking about story and story length. So let's start with a few rules for how we tend to talk about it at Bioware:

First:
    the whole critical path of the game is the length. The walking, the combat, the travel on your ship, world quests, everything you'd have to do to come out the other end the right level. When we say the story of Chapter 1 is X long we do not mean if you somehow took all the conversations and ran them together. Sneaking through the Death Star and shooting stormtroopers was just as much of Luke's story as talking about going and saving the princess. So all the content you're expected to do goes in there. What doesn't go in? Warzones, crafting, socializing, auction house, space game, etc (yes, you could skip world quests and do Warzone or space game quests or Heroics for XP instead but swaps like that tend to more or less even out). Anything not required to level up is outside the estimate.

Second: Your mileage may vary. When we talk about the length of the game at all, we keep it vague for the important reason that people burn through content at different rates. The numbers we're using today are based on best case estimates from hundreds of people playing through Chapter 1. Some people were faster, some people were much, much, much slower as they apparently not just stopped to smell the flowers but had their CCs pick some, studied them, made adrenals out of them and then decided to sit by the roadside and consider what they'd done.

Third: This may change somewhat before ship. Difficulty has been going up in the mid and late leveling game to create real, RPG-style combat challenges. This makes the game longer. Death penalties have been going down. This makes the game shorter. But we have a general idea where we want it to end up and I think it's safe now to make some broad statements.

Okay, with all that out of the way, let me clarify. I was speaking of the a single average first time playthrough of a single class's Chapter 1 being more than twice the length of a single average first time playthrough of the entirety of the original Knights of the Old Republic. Chapter 2 and 3 are each somewhat shorter than Chapter 1 (which are extended by the Origin and Capitol worlds experience) but still pretty darn big.

If we are talking about playthroughs of all the classes we're well into four digit hours but even one class is in the plural hundreds. Anything more specific is going to get me into trouble and honestly will just make me look silly when one guild makes it their all encompassing mission to beat the leveling game in a single marathon session then Photoshop their completion time onto a shocked looking picture of my face and spread it all over the interwebs.

Hope that helps!

Daniel Erickson 

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6297786#post6297786

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Here is to hoping some invites go out for this weekend!