Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So which classes are really considered support class?

BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I am still trying to find out what class I want to be. Most likely it will be as a sith but I will go jedi too possibly once my friends and I figure out what we are doing. Anyways I was just wondering if I could get a little help with picking a class for me. I prefer to play a support class with some back up heals. I do not want to be main healer my wife will take care of that.

I do realize that it has been said that any class that can heal can be a main healer. How would support/back up heals work? Would I have to go hybrid spec some in healing and some in another tree? I know we only get 41 points to spend too which if your doing Hybrid you lose out on a lot I would imagine. When I say support I mean that I like to do group buffs, debuffs, maybe some CC,. toss out a little dps and throw in the occasional back up heal.

Which class/tree do you guys think that I can accomplish this with?Or what can get as close to my likes as possible? I would like to hear which class from both sides would be best if anyone who knows way more about this game and can enlighten me.

Really gotten hooked on this game lately and I have been researching and even still reading all the classes and what they do is painstaking lol. I know there are 3 healing classes on each side so that is a potential 6 classes I could be. However I do not want to be a sage or a sorc. So that leaves me with 2 on each side. Thanks for the input guys.

Comments

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Any class you play that can heal, will be expected to.

With that in mind, if one of these classes is incapable of performing as the group expects, then Bioware will buff those aspects.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The thing is,  just about every tree has a DPS spec,  and just about every class that I know of has support abilities.  Depending on the tree that you go down will also change the way certain abilities react. (no I will not break the NDA and give specifics but the developers have released information regarding the way abilities change as you progress your character).

That being said, some classes will have better support than others,  and usually those classes will (likely) BE the major support style classes such as Healing specs, or stealthy DPS specs, or in some cases Tank specs with evasion style mitigation, etc.

Knowing that,  you can say any single class could go down a good support spec route.  Every class will have the ability to stun, etc.   Every class will have a tree (or two) with support options.  It will more depend on how you wish to play that will really determine how well you "support".

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I understand that if I can heal I will be expected to. However someone else in my group is already going to be main healer. I would be support and only help heal when needed while I dps, debuff, group buff etc. Just my play style I guess.

• FringeFanBoiFringeFanBoi Member Posts: 32
    Me myself am looking to play very similiar in that play style. As of now I am rolling the Imperial Agent. As far as I know i can sit back in cover throw some hots around then Dps at will. So for me the Agent seems to fit that play style the best!
  • goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by grawss

With that in mind, if one of these classes is incapable of performing as the group expects, then Bioware will buff those aspects.

Seeing as each archetype can also DPS and 3/8 of the archetypes can heal I wouldn't be too sure about that. Especially since only 2/8 archetypes can only DPS.

In your average group you'll have 1 archertype that can only DPS, 1 that can tank, 1 that can heal and 1 could heal (or tank) but doesn't need to so can go DPS.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

I would suggest the Smuggler Scoundrel as it has a Support class feel with it's healing and support abilities.

If you are still not sure, look at this thread and it's class info http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/300581/Full-feature-list.html.

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by grawss

Seeing as each archetype can also DPS and 3/8 of the archetypes can heal I wouldn't be too sure about that. Especially since only 2/8 archetypes can only DPS.

In your average group you'll have 1 archertype that can only DPS, 1 that can tank, 1 that can heal and 1 could heal (or tank) but doesn't need to so can go DPS.

Pretty much this.  Just because you are a class with healing abilities,  if you aren't spec'd for it,  you might have some heals but it would be pointless to be expected to be a full on healer.  As a backup healer, sure,  and thats where support classes really come into play.  Those that take support roles, but don't spec specifically in them so they can PLAY those roles, but primarily serve a different purpose.

Usually when I play any character,  I choose one that has abilities that will allow me to serve a single purpose really well and have a secondary purpose that I can fill in for or back up in the case of a massive failure or an unexpectedly tough mission.

That could be a major spec into healing, with a secondary in survival so I can fill in for a tank (which works pretty well in many cases as healing often increases aggro nowadays).. .and so on and so on.

Originally posted by Xerenix

I would suggest the Smuggler Scoundrel as it has a Support class feel with it's healing and support abilities.

If you are still not sure, look at this thread and it's class info http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/300581/Full-feature-list.html.

Thanks for the link. Also ty for all the responses I have been getting here it is much appriciated guys!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I'm confused as to why 90% of the answers to the OP's question of "which class is support?" go something like "class X can heal".

I don't think the question was about which classes heal.

Unless people think that healing = support?  Healing classes are usually considered "healers".  Unless they just have small heals that are part of a bigger package...

Healing = casting heals, getting HP bars to go up, keeping people alive.

Support = casting buffs, getting non-hp bars to go up, providing utility (invis, evac, regen, runspeed, etc.)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste

I'm confused as to why 90% of the answers to the OP's question of "which class is support?" go something like "class X can heal".

Unless people think that healing = support?  Healing classes are usually considered "healers".  Unless they just have small heals that are part of a bigger package...

Support = casting buffs, getting non-hp bars to go up, providing utility (invis, evac, regen, runspeed, etc.)

Support does go beyond just healing,  in fact,  tank classes in SWTOR are also able to support,  and again, as stated, every class has the ability to do so.

The "best" class for support is subjective to the players playstyle.   IF you really wanted to know what class you'd most likely find in a support role,  I'd say the consular or inquisitor,  if you pressed me for an answer,  simply because depending the spec, they can fulfill every role and have access to plenty of abilities that will be useful dependingon the situation.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Beacker
    I am still trying to find out what class I want to be. I prefer to play a support class with some back up heals. I do not want to be main healer my wife will take care of that.
    I do realize that it has been said that any class that can heal can be a main healer. How would support/back up heals work?
    Would I have to go hybrid spec some in healing and some in another tree?When I say support I mean that I like to do group buffs, debuffs, maybe some CC,. toss out a little dps and throw in the occasional back up heal.
    Which class/tree do you guys think that I can accomplish this with?Or what can get as close to my likes as possible?

You might want to fiddle around with this more OP.

Advanced Classes are ...

It pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by arieste

The OP did say he prefered to play a support class with some back up heals because his wife will be a main healer. So that would be why 90% of the answeres were about healing classes. And Healers in TOR will be able to do some support along with healing. They don't have to be two different class types to do both.

So Sorc and Sage are out per OP.

That leaves the Smuggler Scoundrel with skills like having a group stealth, finnishing moves with a scattergun, schrapnel bombs for bleeeding wounds, slow release medpack for HoTs. And the shared tree can increase the Medic and support roles.

The Trooper Commando is a range DPS with combat medic for healing. So a hybrid should be ok as an off healer. The info for skills is not on the list yet.

The Bounty Hunter Mercenary has the Bodyguard tree to support and heal. With a skill like Kolto Missile as a modified short range missile that expodes an area to dispers restorative agents. Then the Arsenal for long range DPS.

The Imperial Agent is a medic like the smuggler with a group stealth and HoTs. But again, this is not updated on the info page.

If the wife will be a full healer. Why not go the tank route OP? A healer tank combo with companion DPS can do a lot of the content. You would have a full group with just the two of you for most quests, minus the flashpoints.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

One more question here. Seeing as the groups are only 4 people is it a waste to have a back up support healer taking one of the group slots up? Or is this still wanted in the group?

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

One more question here. Seeing as the groups are only 4 people is it a waste to have a back up support healer taking one of the group slots up? Or is this still wanted in the group?

I think that all depends on how the dungeons are put together, and how your group is put together.  As long as your support healer can do decent DPS, you should be fine.  Might even work to have two off-healers :)

Originally posted by artemisentr4

If the wife will be a full healer. Why not go the tank route OP? A healer tank combo with companion DPS can do a lot of the content. You would have a full group with just the two of you for most quests, minus the flashpoints.

I have tanked in previous games  before hand. Raid tanking, group tanking you name it I have done it. After doing it for a few years I just got bored of it have within the last year have really enjoyed the role of support. Plus with my wife as a healer and me as support we can communicate easier to tend to whatever the group needs.

I have thought about tanking and I am mulling it over but I just don't know. I play on pvp servers and I really don't enjoy not being able to kill anyone as I level up. Tanks suck for pvp until they hit max level and get gear but I don't know if I have that patience lol.

Originally posted by mmogawd

I think that all depends on how the dungeons are put together, and how your group is put together.  As long as your support healer can do decent DPS, you should be fine.  Might even work to have two off-healers :)

This game definetly intrigues me on how everything works heh. Yea as support I would like to do decent dps. I am not looking to own everything I come across but I would like to be able to stay alive when I am soloing and solo pvping as well as being able to buff my group and not tickle the mobs lol. 

Can't comment too much on specifics but -- it depends on how you spec.  If you have a full group of 4, the ideal group (in my eyes) would be 1 dedicated tank, 1 dedicated healer,  1 DPS,  and 1 support player -- support being primarily backup heals - strong CC - additional DPS.     

My personal opinion on the matter is to be DPS and CC first with all healing abilities secondary.  Either way, you will never be at a loss for a group.

Originally posted by popinjay

Advanced Classes are ...

Oh believe me I have looked over this time and time again but there are not a lot of abilities to go off of to get a good grasp as to what I should be. 

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Can't comment too much on specifics but -- it depends on how you spec.  If you have a full group of 4, the ideal group (in my eyes) would be 1 dedicated tank, 1 dedicated healer,  1 DPS,  and 1 support player -- support being primarily backup heals - strong CC - additional DPS.     

My personal opinion on the matter is to be DPS and CC first with all healing abilities secondary.  Either way, you will never be at a loss for a group.

Exactly what I want. I prefer to DPS first and foremost and buff/debuff/CC and if it gets really bad I will stop and help heal. You will have to let me know what you think would be best when the NDA is lifted... Unfortunetly with the NDA I can't get a full exact answer heh. Hopefully I get in another beta I actually have time to play D: Choosing a class is tough but I like to research what I can.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

If I am in a group in any game and I have a healing ability and there's someone else as a dedicated healer I will click the /lol emote if asked to heal. Kid is probably teenage trash and saying something like "heals me! i iz uber impotent!"

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Advanced Classes are ...

Oh believe me I have looked over this time and time again but there are not a lot of abilities to go off of to get a good grasp as to what I should be. 

You should be doing process of elimination. It'd be easier than trying to pick what you shoudn't be rather than what you should be.

You already know you don't want Sage, so that eliminates one. Then you have to figure out which side you want and then you eliminate four of the other classes.

The rest should be easy if you know things like Bounty Hunter is the tank type, Juggernaut is a warrior/dps off-tank type maybe, Gunslinger is a dps type, etc. Even the description says it pretty clearly like:

"Juggernaut

A stalwart defender of the Sith Empire, the Juggernaut embodies the teachings of Marka Ragnos, charging into enemies with heavy armor and pure rage."

So if you don't want to be tank, which I don't think you do, you could eliminate this one as well. After doing that about five times you should be able to figure out your support choices, although I think you eliminated about half the "support roles" right off the bat by saying no Sage and no Sorcerer.

So if you don't want to be tank, which I don't think you do, you could eliminate this one as well. After doing that about five times you should be able to figure out your support choices, although I think you eliminated about half the "support roles" right off the bat by saying no Sage and no Sorcerer.

My wife is going to be one of those depending on the side we go that is why.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Advanced Classes are ...

If you check the link i posted, there is a link to the official forums on the name of each class and on the official forums, there is a list of abilties for the said class. After looking at the scoundrel skills, it has heals, debuffs and buffs and decent  dps to make it viable in groups.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Xerenix

Advanced Classes are ...

If you check the link i posted, there is a link to the official forums on the name of each class and on the official forums, there is a list of abilties for the said class. After looking at the scoundrel skills, it has heals, debuffs and buffs and decent  dps to make it viable in groups.

Cool thing is that you could also not invest in the healing tree and spec a scoundrel to be a stealth based close range dps class. So you get to be a healer when you so choose, or a fully blown rogue. ^_^

• Zigzig13Zigzig13 Member Posts: 10

I plan on being a BH merc,even tho i will be able to put points in healing,im not,i am going straight DPS.

Just because you can be a healer,dosent mean you HAVE to be.