Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If people have got this heated over Blizzard adding a Panda race, I would hate to see the rage of pl

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

If people have got this heated over Blizzard adding a Panda race and saying they trying to copy "Fung Ku Panda",

I would hate to see the rage of players when a new MMO add a Ogre race. People would likely complain that that game is trying to copy Shrek. lol

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Draemos

{mod edit}

nah, just thinking like a WoW hater.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, ogre race is no problem whatsoever unless they look just like Shrek.

Ogres have been a playable race in many MMOs the last 12 years at least. Try EQ2 to mention one.

The real problem is that the pandas look exactly like Kung fu panda...

And even if someone copied a shrek like ogre, ogres have been part of western mythology a long time and are common in fantasy books and a classic D&D monster.

Panda monks on the other hand are really new.

And BTW: panda hater and Wow hater is not the same thing.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

Orges don't make me feel like a child.

Originally posted by BarelyEin

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

And Pandas do?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Little bit, yeah.

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

It's the same kind of people who have never played EQ2.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Loke666

Actually, ogre race is no problem whatsoever unless they look just like Shrek.

Ogres have been a playable race in many MMOs the last 12 years at least. Try EQ2 to mention one.

The real problem is that the pandas look exactly like Kung fu panda...

And even if someone copied a shrek like ogre, ogres have been part of western mythology a long time and are common in fantasy books and a classic D&D monster.

Panda monks on the other hand are really new.

And BTW: panda hater and Wow hater is not the same thing.

Kung Fu pando looks like Warcrafts Panda's...Warcraft's basic model has been out since WC3's expansion came out and in WC3 it fought with martial arts.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Little bit, yeah.

Think some of it comes down to which image you saw first.  The image I saw first was of a Pandaren that looked more like the one I posted - teeth bared, etc, etc.  The second image I saw was actually in the video where it looked more Kung Fu Panda - rolly polly belly and silliness.  If I had seen the second first, I might have simply dismissed it.

I've dismissed WoW for other reasons (Cata related - and I have issues with MoP that are Cata related as well) - but had I not seen the images in the order that I did; I could easily have seen myself being a member of the WoW's going even more childish crowd.

Just to elaborate:  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/

I saw the images there - then I watched the video.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

OP you would have probably helped your "cause" quite a bit if you picked something that wasn't already classically associated with RPG games, you know, like ogres are and all.

But if they did all look like Shrek, then yes people would probably comment on it, and rightly so.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

I like the new expansion, but I think there is so much wasted potential. The warcraft world is so deep and well crafted(heh), yet we're getting monks and asian themes. The monk isn't so bad, we can always use more tanks, but there are so much more interesting classes in Warcraft lore. The one that gets me is the asian theme though, how many chinese themed mmos are out there right now? If we needed a neutral race, why not Ethereals? They are neutral, have a much more interesting lore and are the coolest things this side of Tanaris.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

OP you would have probably helped your "cause" quite a bit if you picked something that wasn't already classically associated with RPG games, you know, like ogres are and all.

But if they did all look like Shrek, then yes people would probably comment on it, and rightly so.

oh you mean like Humanoid Bears, and other Humanoid Animal races?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by MMOExposed

If people have got this heated over Blizzard adding a Panda race and saying they trying to copy "Fung Ku Panda",

I would hate to see the rage of players when a new MMO add a Ogre race. People would likely complain that that game is trying to copy Shrek. lol

Huh?  Think you're missing some information.

Ogres actually are one of 'oldest' races present in various mythologies and fantasy settings. 

So there would be zero problems for Ogres to appear in mmorpg's.  

Well unless it would be ogres that try to mimic Shrek of 'funny' WoW ogres.

In most fantasy settings Ogres are not nice or not funny. They are usually fierce fighters, big and very strong. In some settings they are bad in some neutral or sometimes even good.  Sometimes they do lack intelligence, but not always.

Learn a 101 about fantasy & mythology in general, then you will know that ogres are not a problem 'per se'.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ausare

Kung Fu pando looks like Warcrafts Panda's...Warcraft's basic model has been out since WC3's expansion came out and in WC3 it fought with martial arts.

Wasn't it from 2006? They started on Kung fu panda 2004 already. If Samwise saw something about the movie first or not in that case is anybodys guess.

But whatever the chicken or the egg comes first, it is really panda + monk that is the problem here.

Anyways, Pandaren is the brainchild of the guy who makes the Hammerfall covers, and nothing with Hammerfall have anything to do with good taste. ;)

I think that if those pandas would have been wearing western style armor and the new class would have been "Bard" instead of "monk" people would not really have these discussions.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Ogre is an established fantasy race. It is an ugly large humanoid. I fail to see the objection there.

Panda is an animal. No humanoid at all. They make no sense whatsoever as a player race.

Originally posted by fenistil

Huh?  Think you're missing some information.

Ogres actually are one of 'oldest' races present in various mythologies and fantasy settings. 

So there would be zero problems for Ogres to appear in mmorpg's.  

Well unless it would be ogres that try to mimic Shrek of 'funny' WoW ogres.

In most fantasy settings Ogres are not nice or not funny. They are usually fierce fighters, big and very strong. In some settings they are bad in some neutral or sometimes even good.  Sometimes they do lack intelligence, but not always.

Learn a 101 about fantasy & mythology in general, then you will know that ogres are not a problem 'per se'.

Well I guess you continue to ignore the fact that Humanoid Animals have also been apart of fantasy and mythology...

Wasn't it from 2006? They started on Kung fu panda 2004 already. If Samwise saw something about the movie first or not in that case is anybodys guess.

But whatever the chicken or the egg comes first, it is really panda + monk that is the problem here.

Anyways, Pandaren is the brainchild of the guy who makes the Hammerfall covers, and nothing with Hammerfall have anything to do with good taste. ;)

I think that if those pandas would have been wearing western style armor and the new class would have been "Bard" instead of "monk" people would not really have these discussions.

Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne 2003...Kung Fu Panda 1 2008. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Some examples how usually Ogres look like in fantasy worlds. Actually Shrek look is exception, made because that was whole concept of Shrek animationa and story. 

Originally posted by Adamantine

Ogre is an established fantasy race. It is an ugly large humanoid. I fail to see the objection there.

Panda is an animal. No humanoid at all. They make no sense whatsoever as a player race.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Kobold

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Lizardfolk_%28Race%29

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bugbears_%28Race%29

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gnoll

you look up the rest

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Humanoid_Type

My guild of 695 people our guild poll shows only 30 dislike the new race, with 425 answering....so I think most of the anger is a vocal minority that is never happy with anything.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Ogre's are big, vicious and scary (or can be) Pandas are stupid and silly so I don't see any grounds for this comparison.

Shrek? Who give's a shite about Shrek?

Originally posted by Yamota

Ogre's are big, vicious and scary (or can be) Pandas are stupid and silly so I don't see any grounds for this comparison.

Yeah, they very stupid and silly. does that mean you would be willing to walk up to a Male Panda and slapping it hard in the face?

didnt think so

Bard or monk, fluffy, fat bear is what is the core of the issue, not the profession.

Anyway, I looked up Hammerfall covers and saw pictures like this:

This lookes pretty nice. How can the same person create something as stupid as Pandaren?

Yeah, they very stupid and silly. does that mean you would be willing to walk up to a Male Panda and slapping it hard in the face?

didnt think so

So is that what we are talking about? Walking up and slapping a wild animal in the face?

I thought we were discussing about modelling a race in a High Fantasy game after a fat, fluffy bear.

In other words, your strawman argument is pointless.

didnt think so

So is that what we are talking about? Walking up and slapping a wild animal in the face?

I thought we were discussing about modelling a race in a High Fantasy game after a fat, fluffy bear.

In other words, your strawman argument is pointless.

yes, fat humanoid Bear, is a poor model for fantasy (even tho its been done), but Humanoid Rat/Mouse people and Humanoid Frog people arent?