Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware-ish Help

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

This might be stretching the limit of "Hardware Discussion" but this is the only forum account I have on the internet (really) so maybe someone can lend me a hand.

I have 3 physical SATA HD's in my computer.  All 3 are exaclty identical, same size, same model, even according to the BIOS.

One of these HD's has winXP on it.  One has win7.  One has random data and no OS.  I need to physically remove the win7 drive, and for various complicated reasons I need to remove that drive, and only that drive, the first time, so I can't remove 1 drive, reboot, see which one it was, repeat. 

Is there anyway I can tell which physical drive has win7 on it?   Thanks!

Comments

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98
    1. What could possibly make it so you only have 1 shot at removing the correct hard drive?
    2. Why?
    3. You said you need to physically remove, can you just tell your bios to only use 1 specific drive to boot from?
    Then you will know.
    4. A little more info would help a whole lot.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

1) The way my case is setup and so full of stuff, it is insanely complex and time-consuming to remove these.  Its going to take me hours to basically carefully disassemble the entire system to get one of these drives out.  (I didn't build the system originally)   So to play guess-and-check with the drives would be an absolute nightmare and increase the risk of something breaking, etc.

2) I need one of these SATA drives to put into another system that has no HD, and I don't want to waste money buying another SATA drive for no reason when I have an extra here I don't use in this machine (the win7 drive).

3)  Not sure I understand, all 3 HD's show up as exactly the same in my bios, exact same model numbers. 

4) That's really all the info there is, I just need some way to match a windows drive to a physical drive, if such a way even exists.  Here's my motherboard tho:  http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d975xbx2

So anyone have any ideas?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

In computer management tool in Windows, there is a drive map showing the drives, volume names, etc.  It shows physical volumes so you might be able to figure out which one is which.  As for picking the correct one in the case if all 3 are identical, the motherboard manual should show which IDE connectors are which, then follow the cables.

Sorry that's not great help, but the best I know of.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

It's simple. Just unplug one of your drives, you don't need to physically remove it yet. Then start your pc. If you can't tell from the boot-up which drive is missing (ie you booted win7, but don't know if you unplugged storage or xp), then just use windows explorer to check. If you unplugged the wrong one, just try another.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,375

Originally posted by Netspook
    It's simple. Just unplug one of your drives, you don't need to physically remove it yet. Then start your pc. If you can't tell from the boot-up which drive is missing (ie you booted win7, but don't know if you unplugged storage or xp), then just use windows explorer to check. If you unplugged the wrong one, just try another.

This is what I would do.

Aside from that, you can physically trace the cables: Windows Disk Manager and the BIOS screen will both list which drive is connected to which SATA interface (probably listed as 0-3, although the BIOS may not tell you which has what installed, Disk Manager will). Then you just trace that back to the proper SATA ports on the motherboard (they should be listed as either 0-3 or 1-4 in the motherboard manual, it should have a picture and tell you which is which.)

However, it's probably much easier to just unplug a HD, boot up the computer, and see what went away. But if there's a bomb attached to it or something and you only have one shot to unplug the correct hard drive, you need to trace cables.