Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Does Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) Have to Die?

Comments

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Because unlike WoW, the game has nothing left for us. But like WoW it is outdated in a lot of ways. I can't imagine SWG pumping out lots of content and patches at this point. The amount of players are less. Less enough to not produce a viable profit to keep the support going especially when they have new games coming out. But even WoW at some point will die. And then it will be time to make a new one. World of Warcraft 2? I could use a new WoW with updated graphics. In any case. An MMO can't last forever. Thats like Nintendo still making 8 bit games for their old school console.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Because SWTOR is being released and it would be foolish for LucasArts to have an old dying game detracting from its shiny new game.

People might hear about the new starwars mmo and accidentally stumble on SWG instead of SWTOR....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

I think its a shame that SWG ends up scrapped. With nearly every other game running today looking like a version of WoW it was nice to have something that stood out from the crowd. SWG with its dual identity game play and fairly well implemented "fluff" should have gone on forever.

I never could figure out why the space game wasent more popular. It was a whole other game! Two games in one.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Lol considering the complaints about modern gaming and the amount of whining at the closing of SWG,

They really should bring it back, to this pre-NGE thing everyone's talking about.  Seems like it'd compete with SWTOR easily.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

No, it wouldn't.  

For all the pining about Pre-NGE, it was the MOST broke and buggy system ever.  No game should ever release that broke.  Period.

Galaxies needs to bow out and go gracefully.  It's the best thing for a licensed product.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

The game is dead. The graphics and game architecture itself is outdated. WoW at least still has decent graphics for an older game and a company STILL throwing out support and content improving it to keep it in the competition. SWG fell off the radar long ago. Do they even sell it in stores anymore?

Getting too old for this $&17!

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

The second NGE went into effect the game was toast and that SWTOR was coming out.  I would'nt be surprised if several other Sony games get chopped soon like Vanguard. I personally wont play sony games because I simply dont trust that  my private information will stay secure with them.

I hope that someone decides to create SWG2 someday.

***Fires plunger at Sony cyber Security Dept.***

You might get a game with the sandbox theme similar to SWG, but I doubt Lucas ever endorses another sandbox. Thus you wont have the SW theme.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Because SOE finally gets rid of that black eye and LA/Bioware can have ALL possible players supporting their new game.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Bama1267

Because SOE finally gets rid of that black eye and LA/Bioware can have ALL possible players supporting their new game.

what he said  ^^

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by odinsrath

Originally posted by Bama1267

what he said  ^^

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

OP,

SWG has to die because it sucks and no one with a rational mind would pay to play it.  In truth, the game died in 2005, but it has been in a coma and on life support since then.

Good riddance to this disaster.  I think it's funny.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

It dies because of SOE.  They kill all games and fail to support all games except EQ2. What SOE did to SWG and to Vanguard was borderline criminal.  Two great games left to wither and die with no support for years.  Very sad.  Once can only imagine how great these two games could have been with another developer.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by Ecnali

I never played pre-NGE and only started after - and I loved it. 

You think it was good after NGE/CU, man i wish you would have played before... one of THE best MMOs period...

Also, I think SOE is losing the license, hence the reason for the shut down.

I'd guess pretty much what Zary said.. LA probably getting a much better cut off the SWTOR money than they ever got from SWG and Sony couldn't match that and still make enough money to keep SWG profitable for them. That or it was flat out part of the deal with Bioware that LA would make SWG shutdown.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Zippy

It dies because of SOE.  They kill all games and fail to support all games except EQ2. What SOE did to SWG and to Vanguard was borderline criminal.  Two great games lefttowither and die with no support.  Very sad.  Once can only imagine how great these two games could have been with another developer.

Actually, wasn't Vanguard bought out by SOE?

If I am remembering correctly, Vanguard had one of those 'worst MMO' launches possible.

The dev of VG also ran out of money so they couldn't even fix the thing. Enter SOE who bought VG and pumped money into to get into a reasonable state.

It is popular to say 'SOE is evil' but in VG's case they were the knights in shining armor.

SOE actually has a habit of supporting games that are way beyond its natural lifespan.

It is to their credit they left SWG running as long as they did.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

It dies because of SOE.  They kill all games and fail to support all games except EQ2. What SOE did to SWG and to Vanguard was borderline criminal.  Two great games lefttowither and die with no support.  Very sad.  Once can only imagine how great these two games could have been with another developer.

I played SWG for a long time and the support wasn't bad at all. They added a lot of content and features.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

With TOR launching soon... there can be only one. I think they missed clone wars adventures, or forgot it exists or something. For now.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by jpnz

Actually, wasn't Vanguard bought out by SOE?

If I am remembering correctly, Vanguard had one of those 'worst MMO' launches possible.

The dev of VG also ran out of money so they couldn't even fix the thing. Enter SOE who bought VG and pumped money into to get into a reasonable state.

It is popular to say 'SOE is evil' but in VG's case they were the knights in shining armor.

SOE actually has a habit of supporting games that are way beyond its natural lifespan.

It is to their credit they left SWG running as long as they did.

Vanguard released 1/30/07.  SOE bougt the game in May.  Between release and May Sigil added mroe content than SOE would add combined in the next 3 years.  Vanguard's release was not bad.  The oroblem it had it was not playable on 95% of most computers.  If you had a good rig it ran fine.  When SOE took over the game still had 95k subs.  SOE introducded a crash bug with their 1st patch which took them 3.5 months to fix which pretty ended the game lowering the population to 20k.  Many people have theorized they introcuded the bug intentionally as their only puirpose in buying Vanguard was to protect EQ2 against Vanguard.  At the time of aquistion SOE still had over 100 devs. Once aquiired SOE could move the better devs to eq2 and fire the rest.  Which is what they did.  Letting the game wither and die with no support and empty promises.  Withijn less than a year the game was down to one full time dev from over a 100.

Certainly Sigil deserves much of the blame.  But so does Microsoft and SOE for forcing SIgil to redesign and wowify the game in 2006 causing them to release an unfinished game.  But bigger than the unfinished part was the mistake Sigil made in forecasting what type of computers people would own in 2007.  They were much to ambitious on many fronts.  Content wise the game released amazing in terms of horizontal 1-50 content.  In terms of polish and finish it was very bad.  But unlike most bad ganes the infrastrure and foundation was there to make a good game if there was continued support.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

It dies because of SOE.  They kill all games and fail to support all games except EQ2. What SOE did to SWG and to Vanguard was borderline criminal.  Two great games left to wither and die with no support for years.  Very sad.  Once can only imagine how great these two games could have been with another developer.

Your joking right?  It seems like you have absolutly no idea what your talking about.  SWG was still getting attention from SOE.  Its Lucas Arts who pulled their license (the most common belief is so that it wouldnt be in any way competing with the new SWTOR).

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114

Because, Bureaucrats that own and control the game are not liking how much they are making off of it so they want it to disappear!  All hail the overlords of the gaming industry!

If you want good games, quit supporting gaming Titans that don't care one bit about the games they control.  Go play Rift, they are an independent gaming organization that cares about making games versus just profits.

Originally posted by Xerathule

Because, Bureaucrats that own and control the game are not liking how much they are making off of it so they want it to disappear!  All hail the overlords of the gaming industry!

If you want good games, quit supporting gaming Titans that don't care one bit about the games they control.  Go play Rift, they are an independent gaming organization that cares about making games versus just profits.

I wouldn't really call them Independant, but yes they do care about the game from what I can tell.  But no, they care very much for profits as well.  

Originally posted by marinrider

Your joking right?  It seems like you have absolutly no idea what your talking about.  SWG was still getting attention from SOE.  Its Lucas Arts who pulled their license (the most common belief is so that it wouldnt be in any way competing with the new SWTOR).

This post is factually wrong according to the statements by SOE.

SOE is on record of saying 'We didn't ask Lucas Arts to renew the license for SWG'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Vanguard released 1/30/07.  SOE bougt the game in May.  Between release and May Sigil added mroe content than SOE would add combined in the next 3 years.  Vanguard's release was not bad.  The oroblem it had it was not playable on 95% of most computers.  If you had a good rig it ran fine.  When SOE took over the game still had 95k subs.  SOE introducded a crash bug with their 1st patch which took them 3.5 months to fix which pretty ended the game lowering the population to 20k.  Many people have theorized they introcuded the bug intentionally as their only puirpose in buying Vanguard was to protect EQ2 against Vanguard.  At the time of aquistion SOE still had over 100 devs. Once aquiired SOE could move the better devs to eq2 and fire the rest.  Which is what they did.  Letting the game wither and die with no support and empty promises.  Withijn less than a year the game was down to one full time dev from over a 100.

Certainly Sigil deserves much of the blame.  But so does Microsoft and SOE for forcing SIgil to redesign and wowify the game in 2006 causing them to release an unfinished game.  But bigger than the unfinished part was the mistake Sigil made in forecasting what type of computers people would own in 2007.  They were much to ambitious on many fronts.  Content wise the game released amazing in terms of horizontal 1-50 content.  In terms of polish and finish it was very bad.  But unlike most bad ganes the infrastrure and foundation was there to make a good game if there was continued support.

I recall looking at VG cause some of my friends bought it. But none of them could play it so I never looked at it again until the 'miracle' patch came out. Even then the miracle patch still didn't up the subs of VG so SOE couldn't justify putting more resources into it.

I certainly can't blame SOE for making the correct business decision on that front. It might have been a good game but if no one is playing it, why put more money into it?

There were some 'grassroots' effort to get people to re-sub VG but MMOs really can't survive a bad launch. Which SOE had nothing to do with.

Gdemami -

• DJkarlkaniDJkarlkani Member UncommonPosts: 29

RIP SWG you used to be a great game but SOE doesnt care about their customers and decided destroy you.

EX- UO, EQ, SWG Player

Currrently trying out GW and WoW

Holla-At-Your-Boy

Originally posted by jpnz

I recall looking at VG cause some of my friends bought it. But none of them could play it so I never looked at it again until the 'miracle' patch came out. Even then the miracle patch still didn't up the subs of VG so SOE couldn't justify putting more resources into it.

I certainly can't blame SOE for making the correct business decision on that front. It might have been a good game but if no one is playing it, why put more money into it?

There were some 'grassroots' effort to get people to re-sub VG but MMOs really can't survive a bad launch. Which SOE had nothing to do with.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?id=1262&month=072011&section=News

SoE is working on VG.  They have actually released the two patches mentioned in this blog post.  Which is what leads me to believe there is more behind the "not renewing the license" than just not renewing it.  I'm sure SWG had more players than VG does.  Additionally, the devs for SWG were actually working on content, and it caught them by surprise as well.

But then SoE decides to make new content for VG and not make it F2P?  Somethings up.

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Member Posts: 26

Bring on Planetside 2, at least Sony hasn't destroyed that franchise yet.