Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My concerns with SWTOR :(

I'm not deeply involved with SRTOR yet like you guys. For me it's still too early to get all hyped, but soon.

I've played most every mmo on the list in the past few years. With that, only a few are really mmo's. To me mmo's have to be group friendly, not just a solo game with other people on the screen.

Here is a small list of Real mmo's. I'm not even saying I like them, just group friendly.  Understand I may have missed a few, but my list none the less.

EQ1, EQ2, DAOC, D@D Online, Vinella WoW, Vanguard ( you just have to know how to find friends )....Thats it, my list !

There are two issues that really haunt me :

1) Chain Quest- THIS ISSUE IS NEVER EVER DISCUSSED. This issue kills mmo grouping to the max. Take part one to do part two.

I'm now playing Rift.  For now I like the game.  It's ALL ABOUT CHAIN QUEST.  Both my friend and I are playing together and we realized we have to match every quest one for one to play together.  No one can play with us because of chain quest.  We tried to play with others, and it most always fails.  Many people don't like Rift, they find it boring. BUT no one ever thinks deeply as to why they don't like it......I know why !.....It's a solo game, unless you max level !  Joe is on quest 146 and Bob is on quest 151.  Joe can't play with Bob.  As time goes on, ten days in Bob quits because the game is boring.  Never realizing why !

I hate to use Vanilla WoW as an example. It was popular because Joe and Bob can take quest a,b,c,d,e,f,g and they can play together Or take a day off and continue playing. Joe and Bob can have a meaningful Guild, and a healthy friends list.

Making a dungeon finder, Rift invasions, or PvP battle grounds DOES NOT CUT IT....They are mini games, simple as that !

2) Voice acting- This was my concern with SWTOR from the start. Yes, it makes the game personal. Many will love it. Many will not !......At first I would think, maybe it's just me, its still in pre-release.  But reviews and leaks are confirming my concern.

Voice acting and personal instancing can kill an mmo. The real Star Wars fans will love it, the others will find it boring and quit. Just like Star Trek.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Wait for launch and come here and see what folks are saying and weigh the good with the bad and make your decesion.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

I have to ask, how exactly does voice acting kill a MMO?

I've heard multiple times how voice acting is supposed to be bad but I've yet to hear about an actual reason why this is the case. Thus far it seems more like complaining that adding colour killed good movies.....

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Originally posted by page

1) Chain Quest- THIS ISSUE IS NEVER EVER DISCUSSED. This issue kills mmo grouping to the max. Take part one to do part two. I'm now playing Rift.  For now I like the game.  It's ALL ABOUT CHAIN QUEST.  Both my friend and I are playing together and we realized we have to match every quest one for one to play together.  No one can play with us because of chain quest.  We tried to play with others, and it most always fails.  Many people don't like Rift, they find it boring. BUT no one ever thinks deeply as to why they don't like it......I know why !.....It's a solo game, unless you max level !
    Joe is on quest 146 and Bob is on quest 151.  Joe can't play with Bob.  As time goes on, ten days in Bob quits because the game is boring.  Never realizing why !
    I hate to use Vanilla WoW as an example. It was popular because Joe and Bob can take quest a,b,c,d,e,f,g and they can play together Or take a day off and continue playing. Joe and Bob can have a meaningful Guild, and a healthy friends list.
    Making a dungeon finder, Rift invasions, or PvP battle grounds DOES NOT CUT IT....They are mini games, simple as that !

2) Voice acting- This was my concern with SWTOR from the start. Yes, it makes the game personal. Many will love it. Many will not !......At first I would think, maybe it's just me, its still in pre-release.  But reviews and leaks are confirming my concern.
    Voice acting and personal instancing can kill an mmo. The real Star Wars fans will love it, the others will find it boring and quit. Just like Star Trek.

Your chain quest argument is simply this.. People need to stop caring only about themselves.. If people really want to play an MMO they have to be willing to take a step backwards in their quest line and help others progress.. Too many people have developed the mindset that they need to 1. race to endgame and 2. only concern themselves with their own chars progression.. If people would stop and help someone move through the quest line even if it means taking a step or two backwards to get someone else up to where you are there would be far more groups going, far more social interaction and far less boredom.. IMO

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Originally posted by plaxidia

Your chain quest argument is simply this.. People need to stop caring only about themselves.. If people really want to play an MMO they have to be willing to take a step backwards in their quest line and help others progress.. Too many people have developed the mindset that they need to 1. race to endgame and 2. only concern themselves with their own chars progression.. If people would stop and help someone move through the quest line even if it means taking a step or two backwards to get someone else up to where you are there would be far more groups going, far more social interaction and far less boredom.. IMO

Count me out. I'm not going to repeat the same quest I've already played through, which gives me absolutely nothing of interest or value, to help someone else who is not my close friend already. People haven't "developed mindset". That's the mindset people always had and always will have.

Ah, whatever. I'm not interested in repeating the whole chain link of my reasoning to help you to understand. Do it on your own.

Originally posted by gobla

I've heard multiple times how voice acting is supposed to be bad but I've yet to hear about an actual reason why this is the case. Thus far it seems more like complaining that adding colour killed good movies.....

As far as I'm concerned, the moment gaming went off text-based games, gaming has died.

All those new fancy games with 256 colors and 320x200 fancy graphics never caught my interest in the same way as text-based games. Why, THOSE games were real! They were proper games, which did not neet that useless midi-music from fancy Sound-Blaster 16 to keep you submerged in a gameworld for weeks!

I totally blame todays' young people.

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

not exactly...

TOR will have one aspect that really PROMOTES doing everything You can in a group with others, thats social points, they already said that for social points people will buy specific "canon" items for the class they play... like slave Leia outfit for sith juggernaut and so on ;) (damn im SO hoping for that one on my fat pureblood juggy :P )

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

its def a group game, you cant solo, you need at least an npc companion with you to kill anything.

voice overs dont kill anything, most likely trolling because theyre only in english.

there are quest chains for story, but you do short instanced parts with just you and companion for the stuff that others cant help with and in 5 mins you are back with your group.

all of the flashpoints and raids are definetly group content as are world epic quest chains (10+ quest long series on each planet you do as you level there)

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I'm not deeply involved with SRTOR yet like you guys. For me it's still too early to get all hyped, but soon.

I've played most every mmo on the list in the past few years. With that, only a few are really mmo's. To me mmo's have to be group friendly, not just a solo game with other people on the screen.

Here is a small list of Real mmo's. I'm not even saying I like them, just group friendly.  Understand I may have missed a few, but my list none the less.

EQ1, EQ2, DAOC, D@D Online, Vinella WoW, Vanguard ( you just have to know how to find friends )....Thats it, my list !

1) Chain Quest- THIS ISSUE IS NEVER EVER DISCUSSED. This issue kills mmo grouping to the max. Take part one to do part two.

I'm now playing Rift.  For now I like the game.  It's ALL ABOUT CHAIN QUEST.  Both my friend and I are playing together and we realized we have to match every quest one for one to play together.  No one can play with us because of chain quest.  We tried to play with others, and it most always fails.  Many people don't like Rift, they find it boring. BUT no one ever thinks deeply as to why they don't like it......I know why !.....It's a solo game, unless you max level !  Joe is on quest 146 and Bob is on quest 151.  Joe can't play with Bob.  As time goes on, ten days in Bob quits because the game is boring.  Never realizing why !

Voice acting isn't for everybody but not ONLY star wars fans will like it. Many people like BioWares story telling and will love it. Its personal taste, it won't kill an MMO.

Chain quests are just personal taste as well. Many don't mind them and I've never heard many complain about them either to be honest. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by neorandom

its def a group game, you cant solo, you need at least an npc companion with you to kill anything.

voice overs dont kill anything, most likely trolling because theyre only in english.

there are quest chains for story, but you do short instanced parts with just you and companion for the stuff that others cant help with and in 5 mins you are back with your group.

all of the flashpoints and raids are definetly group content as are world epic quest chains (10+ quest long series on each planet you do as you level there)

Want to add. Voice acting is in English, French and German.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

1) Chain Quest- THIS ISSUE IS NEVER EVER DISCUSSED. This issue kills mmo grouping to the max. Take part one to do part two. I'm now playing Rift.  For now I like the game.  It's ALL ABOUT CHAIN QUEST.  Both my friend and I are playing together and we realized we have to match every quest one for one to play together.  No one can play with us because of chain quest.  We tried to play with others, and it most always fails.  Many people don't like Rift, they find it boring. BUT no one ever thinks deeply as to why they don't like it......I know why !.....It's a solo game, unless you max level !

Joe is on quest 146 and Bob is on quest 151.  Joe can't play with Bob.  As time goes on, ten days in Bob quits because the game is boring.  Never realizing why !

This image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Grahor

As far as I'm concerned, the moment gaming went off text-based games, gaming has died.

All those new fancy games with 256 colors and 320x200 fancy graphics never caught my interest in the same way as text-based games. Why, THOSE games were real! They were proper games, which did not neet that useless midi-music from fancy Sound-Blaster 16 to keep you submerged in a gameworld for weeks!

I totally blame todays' young people.

lol when you were 7 32 bit games were out.  I miss the good old hoop and stick, stuff progression!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

forcing to group up in a classic healer-tank-dps way is what kills my MMO fun.

"you are not part of a guild? Sorry, this game is not for you as you cannot explore it because you don't have access to the content."

Voice acting is what makes it much more immersive for the people/nerds that want to "live"in a Star Wars world instead of logging in a pixel dream to spend 100% of your free daily time to get a chance at that one purple item followed by logging out.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    If you want to do group content there will be plenty of options there. The fact that there is solo options for people that like to solo shouldn't concern you. But if you despise voice acting then don't bother because that is a main feature of TOR.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by grunt187

This image

" People need to stop caring only about themselves "

Will never happen. You could put florescent orange stickers on each and every box sold stating as a reminder " stop caring about your self "......This will never happen.

This is the real world :

An old man drops something in an airport with many strangers around. He's having a hard time picking it up. Forty people walk buy until one person helps him.

The same old man is at a party, everyone is talking and getting to know each other.  The old man drops something, everyone is willing to help him !

I didn't think I had to spell it out. So lets use some real world thinking OK !

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by grunt187

This image

Agreed, and whatsmore, chain quest = longer story, otherwise you are talking a game where every story is 2 paragraphs long.  That may appeal to 8 year olds or people who only care about with thing - xp grinding, in which case just grind mobs.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

" People need to stop caring only about themselves "

Will never happen. You could put florescent orange stickers on each and every box sold stating as a reminder " stop caring about your self "......This will never happen.

This is the real world :

An old man drops something in an airport with many strangers around. He's having a hard time picking it up. Forty people walk buy until one person helps him.

The same old man is at a party, everyone is talking and getting to know each other.  The old man drops something, everyone is willing to help him !

Isn't that exactly what the social points system is doing?

At that party you get some points with whatever chick you were chatting up when you help that old man so you can hopefully get laid later that evening.

In SWToR you get social points for grouping and completing quests together so you can hopefully get buy some unique looking gear for those social points.

From this article:

The social point system for participation in multiplayer dialogue and group activities such as quests and flash points is also getting another look right now, with more social / role-play items being put in for purchase, such as cosmetic clothing, for example, wedding dresses, and also more group based items. This system encourages grouping and provides players with yet another method of attaining equipment.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

This is the real world :

And who would you want to be, one of the forty walking by or the one helping him?

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by neorandom

Want to add. Voice acting is in English, French and German.

makes sense since initial launch territories all speak one of those 3, and the red zones dont for the most part (outside of those who thought ahead and learned english already!)  theyll probably do localized voice overs in a ton of other languages then as they release in the red zones.

Originally posted by Malaksbane

And who would you want to be, one of the forty walking by or the one helping him?

If I have time to burn - I'll help, but it's rare. If I have something else to do - I'll be the one walking by. Let somebody else help him, if they have time.

Even if I'll get a wedding dress helping him - unless I'm marrying ingame, that's hardly an incentive, is it?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

2) Voice acting-
    Voice acting and personal instancing can kill an mmo.

The real Star Wars fans will love it, the others will find it boring and quit. Just like Star Trek.

Star Trek isn't dead, lol. It's not doing so hot but it's not dead.

Star Trek also isn't doing well because it launched with MASSIVE bugs, had repetitive gameplay involving planet missions, the ship combat was good but repetitive PvE wise, and the PvE wasn't even complete as the Klingon side wasn't even in the game at launch. When it was finally put in, it was basically a starting zone with not much to Klingons.

The auction house was an exact recycle job of the one from Champions Online which was just as horrible. The content in the game was light as well and as boring as things were overall, there wasn't even enough of it.

Voice acting was actually one of the best things Star Trek Online had going for it, all things considered.

To expand a bit, there has never been an mmo that was "killed by voice acting", which is a strange claim with no games to accurately show that. If you don't like it, that's one thing but it's an exaggeration to say voice acting has killed mmos when it simply hasn't happened.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Game isn't heavily instanced.  Voice acting has no impact on "killing" an MMO, anymore-so than watching a cutscene in WoW.  Referencing Star Trek when its absolutely nothing like SWTOR just makes you sound silly.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

We don't know how SWTOR will turn out, It will take months after release to be sure. I hope it will be good.

No one stated the game will be loaded with chain quest. However personal story line'sindicators and voice acting are good indacaters that they will.  Add in that 90% of mmo's suck.

Just a few facts :

1) very few games are really mmo's for the fact that people play together, Guilds actually work, people are actually adding friends to there list. Seeing three people running together off in the distance. Towns are active, and people are chatting flirting and dueling.

2) Instanced game play does not bring people together. Dungeon finders, Battle grounds. They are fast acquaintances.

3) most people quit mmo's because they are boring. They never think why. In almost every cast the real world is lonely !

4) giving people bonus points to group will not work.

Joe gets the idea to group. He decides to ask Bill " hay Bill lets group, will both get bonus points ". Sorry Joe I'm busy right now !

I'm not saying this is how Star Wars is..........All I know is that there only a few real social mmo's......Lets just hope SWTOR is one of the few. If not it will be another disappointment for many !

I have to take a shower, I have a plane to catch.............

Originally posted by Grahor

Originally posted by Malaksbane

If I have time to burn - I'll help, but it's rare. If I have something else to do - I'll be the one walking by. Let somebody else help him, if they have time.

Even if I'll get a wedding dress helping him - unless I'm marrying ingame, that's hardly an incentive, is it?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well first up i notice as usual so many have never played the number one grouping game which :was" FFXI,but no matter onto the topic.Reason i mentioned it is because all those other games are "sometimes" grouping not actual grouping games.

Chain quests are not the culprit for bad grouping ,the game design is that fault.If you make your game ALWAYS or at least MOST of the time to need grouping,then things get done in a group,the way FFXI was designed.If you design your game to solo then it doesn't matter quest lines or any quest,players will solo therefore the mmo design is lost and just a title to attach to the game.

Giving a game a MMO label means absolutely nothing unless you interact with those massive amount of players,no interaction means it is no longer a MMO.This is easy to relate to in real life,you might be on a baseball or haockey or football team,but unless you are interacting with your team there is NO team and no league.That leaves only one section left to PRETEND you are in a mmo,the auction house.Well there is a very good chance you could be buying from RMT or because of RMT which runs rampant in all games,so you would be feeding an economy outside the game not inside the mmo world.RMt are also the cause of a broken economy and a FAKE economy so an entire mmo can be ruined by solo play and RMT.

This should be two of your main concerns for the game not weather it has quest lines or not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

You can't turn it off...it's forced on for every single...thing...quest...reward...the whole bit.

I don't know but I'd get tired of someone yapping in my ear.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server