Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StarWars 3D coming out in February 2012

2»

Comments

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Elikal

Eh? How can they make a movie in 3d afterwards?? ?__?

It can be processed digitally.  The majority of live action movies(even modern ones) are actually done this way.

My TV can render normal programming in 3D.  It's so-so on live action programming, but CG animation looks really good.

If they do it, I hope they don't half-arse it like Clash of the Titans.  That was a horrendously crappy rendering.

95% (guesstimate) of eps 1-3 is computer animated. It's no problem to re-render them from a different angle and combine them.

Leave the chars at the convergence point ( or whatever it's called ) and 3D just the scenery.

------- END TRANSMISSION

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I think this might shed some light on the subject for you

"It was once believed that 3D filmmaking was something of a dark art, composed entirely of witchcraft and a lock of James Cameron's hair. These days, however, we know better — there's a complicated lunar cycle involved too. And a little something called dimensionalization. In an interview with Studio Daily, visual effects studio In-Three discussed the powerful technology responsible for bringing 2D films into the third dimension -- and its more complicated than you might think"  click the link below for the full article

How FX Studios Turn 2D Movies to 3D Moneymakers 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Wonder if this is a money grab plan to finally start making the live tv Star Wars series. They stopped it due to lack on money due to production costs.

You stay sassy!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Tamanous

Wonder if this is a money grab plan to finally start making the live tv Star Wars series. They stopped it due to lack on money due to production costs.

Ah man....they actually had a pretty good budget from what I remember reading.  The problem is that Lucas is obsessed with putting so much CGI into everything Star Wars at this point that it requires putting solid gold coins into the CGI machine for 15 minutes of work. 

The problem is Lucas.  Could someone else put out a quality show with a budget of around 2 million bucks per show?  Sure.  Thats what Star Trek did.  Thats about what their budget was if I remember correctly.  I mean, look at Firefly.  That show tanked because the world is evil and quite frankly dumb, but it was an awesome show.  It didnt have a mega budget. 

You dont have to have a gigantic budget to make a decent or even great Star Wars TV show.  You just need some imagination and good writing and acting.  Its not super easy but its not impossible at all. 

But Lucas just gave up on it when he found out he couldnt spend 50 million bucks on each show.   I dont know if that guy is ever going to get an inkling that CGI does not make good movies.  Its a tool.   One of many.  Heck you could probably make an awesome show entirely without the use of any CGI.  Just do it like they did back in the old days if you have too.  Its the story, character depth, and plot that matters.  The rest is just gravy. 

But I really think the guy has such a big head these days, and is so old, there's just no room for any inspiration or ideas.  He cant seem to work within a budget, or figure things out intelligently.   Which is fine.   I just sometimes wish he'd shut up, and just get out of Star Wars.  Leaving better men and women to create and produce the franchise. 

I mean look at this....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNhs6sh3_Q        

That is the intro to Swtor.  Not the other preview videos. 

Thats an intro to a VIDEO GAME.  And its some of the best Star Wars stuff Ive seen since Return of the Jedi.  Its great.  Its 1000 times better than anything I ever saw in the prequels.  The character depth is there somehow.  I feel more connected to these characters than any I saw in the prequels and Ive seen them on screen for all of 30 seconds.   When the jedi dies in it, while showing it to my wife, she actually gasped out loud and she doesnt even care about Star Wars.  It actually got emotional reactions from her.  By the way, this gal fell asleep in the prequel movies....TWICE....and I didnt blame her.  She hates them even more than I do. 

But she loved that video.  Made me put it on twice in a row just so she could watch it again later. 

Now if a video game company can do that?  I mean I dont know if Bioware should be making a game or a movie.  Both?  I dont know if I will buy the game but if Bioware made a movie like that?  Id pay to see it four times thanks. 

Which proved to me the thing holding Star Wars back at this point?  Lucas.  He's holding it back.  Its time for younger more creative minds to take the lead.  I guess he's going to have to die or something before that can be done unfortunately.  Which is horrible to say but I just dont think the guy is ever going to let it go and become something awesome again. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Ugh, no thank you. The more I see of Lucas' newer stuff, the more I realize he's just a hack who got lucky because he didn't have the tools available to him back in the day to screw everything up. Hell, he probably added a 'NOOOOOO!', to Darth Maul's death scene, and put in a 5 minute discussion about midiclhlorians, knowing him.

To the person who mentioned him making a movie in the TOR setting, no, just NO. There's a reason it's such an awesome setting, and that reason is that good old Georgie-boy has almost nothing to do with it.

Exactly, and 3D is just a scam entertainment industry throws at people every generation or so. In 10 years most people won't even remember that there were some attempts in 3D. It's just a scam to sell 3D TVs and blackmail cinema operators into buying exensive equipment they'll have to throw away later when the bubble bursts. It's just crap and new technology wont fix it because human anatomy remains the same and most people watchng 3D either can't really percieve it or get positively ill by watching.

So, George Lucas and 3D... Hack and Scam lol, sounds like good names for comic cartoon characters!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I think this entire thread can be summed up in two pics,

and this,

FACT!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Yep, they actually do this with many of the 3D movies getting made now. I.e. Alice in Wonderland was made into 3D in post-production.

Generally, people say that post-production 3D isn't nearly as good as getting filmed in 3D from the get-go.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Apparently so . Quite a few movies are being given the 3D process for re-release . Top Guns also coming out next year in 3D . I've heard rumours about all the Harry Potter films too and of course all the StarWars movies ( one will be released every year in 3d )so we have to wait till 2015 befoe we see episode 4 a new hope in 3d , Thats the one I'm looking foward to .

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Ugh, no thank you. The more I see of Lucas' newer stuff, the more I realize he's just a hack who got lucky because he didn't have the tools available to him back in the day to screw everything up. Hell, he probably added a 'NOOOOOO!', to Darth Maul's death scene, and put in a 5 minute discussion about midiclhlorians, knowing him.

To the person who mentioned him making a movie in the TOR setting, no, just NO. There's a reason it's such an awesome setting, and that reason is that good old Georgie-boy has almost nothing to do with it.

Exactly, and 3D is just a scam entertainment industry throws at people every generation or so. In 10 years most people won't even remember that there were some attempts in 3D. It's just a scam to sell 3D TVs and blackmail cinema operators into buying exensive equipment they'll have to throw away later when the bubble bursts. It's just crap and new technology wont fix it because human anatomy remains the same and most people watchng 3D either can't really percieve it or get positively ill by watching.

So, George Lucas and 3D... Hack and Scam lol, sounds like good names for comic cartoon characters!

Some people said the same thing about the talkies in the 1930s . This bubble wont burst because all the new game consoles will be 3d capable as well . You only have to look at the amount of 3d movies being released now . Most major tv channels have plans for some sort of 3d content now as well . I'll admit I don't think the tech is quite there yet which is why I've not brought a 3d tv but with the glasses free 3d tvs in development I forsee a time when nothing will be broadcast of filmed in 2d. Although that may be 10-20 year off .

Mainstream 3d was always going to happend and this is nothing like the 3d fad you got in the 50s or revival you got in the 80s .  Next year alone there 50+ major motion pictures being released in 3d . Disney are obviously going to release much of thier back catalogue in 3d as well after the success of the Lion King . You can be pretty much certain every single successful film from the last 35 years will get the treatment as well .

National Geographic also is starting to film wildlife documentarys in 3d . The Olympics next year will be film in 3d and broadcast live . Wimbledon this year was broadcast in 3d by the BBC .

Your wrong plain and simple if you think this bubbles going to burst . I remember in the early 70s watching the first episode of Doctor Who that was filmed in colour and people saying ahhh it wont last its just a gimik.Black and White Tvs lasted till the mid to late 80s but eventually disapeared all together .  You may still get them in Mongolia now though :P .

So if you want your good old 2d you may have to think about eventually emigrating there . lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Corehaven

But Lucas just gave up on it when he found out he couldnt spend 50 million bucks on each show.   I dont know if that guy is ever going to get an inkling that CGI does not make good movies.  Its a tool.   One of many.

It's funny you say that because you basically just quoted him with that. In from Star Wars to Jedi the orginal making of packaged with a box set ( i know of), He says" A special effect is just a tool, special effects without a story is a pretty boring thing". Or something like that it's been years since I've seen that like 15+ years lol.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I'd only be intersted in a film called "Star Wars, from epic to cheesy, by George Lucas".

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I've just heard the 3D version of the Phantom Menace will be released in Feb 2012 . Even though this is the weakest of the movies it will obviously be massive at the box office and refresh interest in the franchise just at the same time as a new StarWars MMO is out . It could bring in even more people to this game I think . Another potential boost for the success of TOR . A game with everything going for it , decent company developing it , biggest franchise ever , huge amounts of money spent on it and now a major motion picture around the time of its release .

I think that will be the first movie I have ever seen in 3D. I am not one to go to theatre often.

I sure hope it is exciting, as I normally fall asleep watching SWs these days. It tends to happen to me when I have watched the same movie hundreds of times. When they did the last run at theatre for added effects back in like 97, I had to fight to stay awake.

I wish rather than redoing the same 6 movies ad nauseum, Lucas would lay out a plot, and let someone else write/direct...with him in charge of Fx. Once he passes, I have a feeling more movies will be made.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

I thought episodes 2-5 were the better films in the series. It was episode 1( JaJa Binks ) and episode 6 (ewoks) that were watchable but very cheesy . I enjoyed them all to some extent . What we got in the prequals wasn't what I was expecting . I thought Anakin would be a fully grown jedi struggling with his nature . Not some angst ridden teen .

I don't think we've seen the last of the StarWars movies somehow. But whatevers coming next wont be released untill the cycle of 3d movies is complete so were looking at 2018 at least before we see a new movie .

LoL I could be retired by the time this is all concluded .