Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I hope that the reason no one is moving around in combat is just because they don't know how to play, and not because they know how to play.

edit: And I realize it's just a demonstration video, but everyone is jsut sitting there,so caught my eye.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by jadedlevir
    I hope that the reason no one is moving around in combat is just because they don't know how to play, and not because they know how to play.

Because you're going to have bunny hopping Jedi bouncing around in a game trailer.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Because you're going to have bunny hopping Jedi bouncing around in a game trailer.

I realize a it's a trailer, but it was just distracting. Especially when the jedi and range class were duking it out 2 ft apart. They could have picked better footage.

And in other pvp videos I've seen there just wasn't alot of movement. Which is why I pointed it out. Some mmo combat is more stationary, it's really not something to get offended about.

• spirus7spirus7 Member UncommonPosts: 142

i think in this video they are trying to pass the "War image" rather than the pvp skills image .. just a thought (=

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by spirus7

i think in this video they are trying to pass the "War image" rather than the pvp skills image .. just a thought (=

The issue I have is how little they've shown the PvP skills image. Every PvP video I've seen has a bunch of people just spamming one or two buttons the entire game, with little variation. If they want people like myself to play, all they have to do is pit a few good players against each other and show how the game plays without looking like a bunch of five year olds playing pin the tail on the donkey.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I realize a it's a trailer, but it was just distracting. Especially when the jedi and range class were duking it out 2 ft apart. They could have picked better footage.

And in other pvp videos I've seen there just wasn't alot of movement. Which is why I pointed it out. Some mmo combat is more stationary, it's really not something to get offended about.

Lets just say movement in combat is not restricted, although certain abilities do have situational requirements (facing, movement restrictions, chains, etc...) A good example to see is that smuggler from the huttball video a few months back, or huttball in general people are constantly moving in that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Shouldn't one look at gameplay videos and not trailers if one wanted gameplay impressions?

Just a thought.

Quite liked the trailer myself. Heavily choreographed with everyone in so close quarters and abilities clearly being fired in a very strict order (only pulling the assassin away after he started disarming the bomb for example). But that's what makes it a trailer and not a gameplay video.

I reckon we'll start seeing more and more gameplay videos as we near release. But there's quite a few out already from the various expos and events.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well I don't know about the actual pvp but I do like the RP part of that battleground.

Will there be space pvp battles?

Also I think this game would be perfect for pvpve type of gameplay.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

ranged class FTW

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by grawss

The issue I have is how little they've shown the PvP skills image. Every PvP video I've seen has a bunch of people just spamming one or two buttons the entire game, with little variation. If they want people like myself to play, all they have to do is pit a few good players against each other and show how the game plays without looking like a bunch of five year olds playing pin the tail on the donkey.

As of about 2 weeks ago what you wanted was on youtube.  I think it must have been an NDA beaker though because it is now gone.  If you notice though, almost ALL of the videos out there you do see is low level PvP or it is new players at higher level PvP.  Neither of which is very helpful.  I did see one Dev PvP session about 6 - 10 months back that was really good, but now I can't even find that video which leads me to believe there has been more changes that they don't want people to see until they are ready for an "official" release.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Nice to see something new, but PVP never was high on my list. *shrug*

And you stupid Republic guys are SO gonna bleed! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by grawss

As of about 2 weeks ago what you wanted was on youtube.  I think it must have been an NDA beaker though because it is now gone.  If you notice though, almost ALL of the videos out there you do see is low level PvP or it is new players at higher level PvP.  Neither of which is very helpful.  I did see one Dev PvP session about 6 - 10 months back that was really good, but now I can't even find that video which leads me to believe there has been more changes that they don't want people to see until they are ready for an "official" release.

I got to see a leaked high end pvp video the other day, and it looks a lot better than the pre-level 15 huttball videos we've been seeing.  The combat is much more fast-paced, and the pvpers in the video actually had a clue how to play their classes.  

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

edit: And I realize it's just a demonstration video, but everyone is jsut sitting there,so caught my eye.

???????

I saw plenty of moving around. If two force sensitives are fighting each other they're going to be standing close especially if they are both melee. The ranged classes have no problem with moving while firing. I've watched it twice and I don't see much stationary fighting except when the melee classes are fighting each other. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• In general I think their staged gameplay trailers make the game look bad. Gameplay footage such as the Taral V walkthrough does the game much more justice IMO.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

Only 3 warzones? I know for sure they are going to add some more if the game is a success but.... even rift has more!!!

My real concerns are about the pvp planet (guessing there is only one pvp open zone) and if people are going to fight each other there. I heard that atm (beta) is a desertic place. 

Hope this change and we see large-scale fights. I cant stand a mmo only for its pve , need a good dosis of pvp as well.

Something in-between war and lotro.

Originally posted by Mesfenlir

Only 3 warzones? I know for sure they are going to add some more if the game is a success but.... even rift has more!!!

My real concerns are about the pvp planet (guessing there is only one pvp open zone) and if people are going to fight each other there. I heard that atm (beta) is a desertic place. 

Hope this change and we see large-scale fights. I cant stand a mmo only for its pve , need a good dosis of pvp as well.

Something in-between war and lotro.

The RIFT world is also heartbreakingly small in comparisson according to many beta leaks as well as many "professional reviewers".  On top of that there is no real decision making ability in your quests other than "Yes, I will take it" or "No, not interested".  Then there is the fact that the stories by almost all accounts are top notch which RIFT couldn't even begin to compare with.

I do understand your concern, I just think it is a little early to be jumping to conclusions.  You are after all comparing a game already released to one that hasn't been (not to mention making me compare them as well to show the foolishness of it).

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

I wasnt comparing with rift. Just said that only 3 warzones in a game with such budget is almost a joke.

But I repeat, warzones are not my concern. Open pvp is. And its 50 days until release and we didn´t see a single video yet of massive pvp.

The pvp design team comes directly for warhammer, so yes I am dissapointed right now. I want to do good pve and pvp in swtor but I dont see it right now sorry fans.

Warzones are fantastic granted, but when you do the same warzones 1k each you get sick of it.

If pvp its not your cup of tea, fantastic. But as a pvper I am getting a unpleasant feeling.

Hope to be wrong.

I wasnt comparing with rift. Just said that only 3 warzones in a game with such budget is almost a joke.

But I repeat, warzones are not my concern. Open pvp is. And its 50 days until release and we didn´t see a single video yet of massive pvp.

The pvp design team comes directly for warhammer, so yes I am dissapointed right now. I want to do good pve and pvp in swtor but I dont see it right now sorry fans.

Warzones are fantastic granted, but when you do the same warzones 1k each you get sick of it.

If pvp its not your cup of tea, fantastic. But as a pvper I am getting a unpleasant feeling.

Hope to be wrong. 

First off, let me say that I am not a PvPer in general, though this game has me interested and so I am following it.

I see I did slightly misunderstand you.  So far though here is what we know.  On a PvP server 13 of the 17 planets will be PvP zones with very few "safe" areas.  One of those planets at least dedicated solely to PvP.  On non-PvP servers you have a very similar situation, but those 13 planets have PvP "lakes" that you can enter or not depending on your desires with one planet again being wholely devoted to PvP and having very few "safe" areas.

There has been one video that shows off that planet (Ilum) and it looks great, but it is MEANT to look great so you have to take that with a grain of salt.  Still, just the fact that, at least on Ilum, they are making PvP mean something AND are already working out how to deal with uneven faction sizes lends me a LOT of "comfort" that they are getting PvP right.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

It's a trailer. Not an actual game footage. A trailer with a script, "okay, Jedi stands here, bounty hunter here, now on my mark you push button 3... mark!" It does not offer any actual useful information, other than general map layout and graphics.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Staged Video from beginning to End

Pvp anti keyboard turning players keep moving along nothing to see here.

[Mod Edit]

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hope to be wrong.

Hm, I understand your concern.

You see, the more I hear about TOR, the more I wonder what they DID with all the time and money? I mean, there is so much that is NOT in the game or "coming later", that I have the feeling they tinkered way too long with details, and possibly changed the whole game many times and lost much time with that. Time they lack with other stuff, like more PVP zones, playable aliens, open space asf.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

This looks really fun, I generally can't stand pvp, but haveing a story built around it with specific objectives should be fun. instead of the basic open workd ganking. looking forward to the warzones. The graphics and animations looked great. 

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Well that looked absolutely horrible. It looked almost or just as bad as pvp in EQ2 which basically means, we don't care about pvp viability but here is warzone anyway to say we did. Also am I the only one thinking the physics may need some work, sure is alot of sliding and people jumping but not moving going on.

• Man I just can't get over how stiff and unnatural their animations are this close to release.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Maybe it's because class abilities, like those used in most MMOs out there, require casting, which forces you to stand still.  As we all know, abilities you can use on the run usually do much less damage than ones that have a cast time, so, which do you think you'll try using more often?   Especially when you have a limited energy pool that regens at a slower rate the more use it.