Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get a hardcore pvp server for launch with a different ruleset please?

2»

Comments

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

This is not going to happen, devs don't like to have different rule servers, because it means maintaining diferent versions of the game besides PVP and PVE and it's costly, for a small number of players that anyway would play the game all the same.

And attracting the true hardcores would be problematic also, because they would demand probably more than what a thempark game with some added harder rules can give.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Dreams are nice, but there's no way they'd spend the resources to maintain two sets of code for the sake of a couple of servers worth of subs at best.

Besides, games not designed for hardcore PVP from the start really sort of suck because there's no way to balance them. It becomes a matter of higher level/better geared ganking the snot out of the less fortunate, and the servers quickly die.

I was a regular on DAOC's FFA PVP servers (Mordred specifically) and it was apparent the majority of the player base only wanted to play on the Blue servers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Beacker

I know this is not everyones cup of tea but there is a group of us out there who prefer a hardcore pvp server. We like harsher penalties and to maybe drop a piece of loot from our inventory or something to that effect that is not soul bound. Also the less guards to run to the better. Something similiar to how AoC Deathwish server is or something. Be able to kill our own faction too maybe unless they are in your guild. This would be a server your reputation really would matter.

I don't know how many people would have an interest in this but even if it is just one server to start I think there is enough population to make it well populated. If it turns out to be really popular create another one. I just think it would be awesome to have something more hardcore than the regular pvp ruleset servers. It is nice to cater to the small majority of your game masses as well as your larger ones. The smaller ones tend to go unnoticed but it would be nice if we could be happy in our new hardcore pvp server home. Not asking you to move the moon here, just one little server to try it out please!

This game play would be bad for future Item shops and F2p.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

So, the OP is saying "Yeah, Bioware will have PvE and PvP servers, but I want a PvP server with the rules I enjoy."

Sure, that'll happen.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I don't really understand all the negativity here.  As I said before, I don't think it will happen at launch, but I have no problem with A SERVER or even a few servers going this way.  Heck, it might even pull in some more players that wouldn't normally play the game otherwise which can only be good for the game in the long run, since dedicated fans of a particular feature tend to stay around longer than casual players.  The Devs have said many times that the game engine is really easy to work with as well, so why not add in a hardcore PvP server?  It's not like it would require a whole lot more work for them.  The only feature you would really need to tweak is the XP and Looting.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by ktanner3

There are already games available for that type of gameplay.

And ur saying there are no pve games?

Saying that swtor is a whole new type of gameplay never seen before? I DONT THINK SO

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by GMan3

I don't really understand all the negativity here.  As I said before, I don't think it will happen at launch, but I have no problem with A SERVER or even a few servers going this way.  Heck, it might even pull in some more players that wouldn't normally play the game otherwise which can only be good for the game in the long run, since dedicated fans of a particular feature tend to stay around longer than casual players.  The Devs have said many times that the game engine is really easy to work with as well, so why not add in a hardcore PvP server?  It's not like it would require a whole lot more work for them.  The only feature you would really need to tweak is the XP and Looting.

You don't hitch a race horse to a plow. You don't enter a plow horse in the Kentucky Derby. The logisitics of doing this are staggering. They have said from the beginning the game is made to emphasize it's story elements. Why would they completely gut it now? Or ever?

You are assuming that they would have to gut the game.  I don't believe they would.  They wouldn't have to change powers or anything.  Just make sure that there is a disclaimer CLEARLY explaining the purpose of this particular server that shows up when you select it.  They would only need some minor tweaks to how XP and Looting works to be enough to make most Hardcore PvPers very happy.  The story would not have to change a bit.  BioWare has made some bold claims that there are several ways to advance your character after all, including PvP, so why not give those hardcore types of fans a server to gank each other all they want.

I admit, I would only role a character on this type of server to see how it worked out and probably wouldn't stick around long, but I see no reason that it couldn't be implemented for those people that want it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• AffyAffy Member UncommonPosts: 8

Only slightly true (ie: there aren't a lot of games on the market like that) and I don't know how good of an argument it is as there are many times more games available with a PvP system like we will see in swtor.

Unfortunately, I'll go on record and say this. That "hardcore PvP" ruleset serve won't be available at launch and Bioware will never make one. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem that they want to go in that direction at all and so it would require them putting resources into something that isn't in their gameplan. 

• AffyAffy Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Wizardry

Tha type of server has too many flaws.Would you want it to end up like Eve and have a couple giant corps running the game?In most cases even with a server like this players still tend to ignore pvp,so really it changes nothing.The only way pvp becomes serious as i mentioned when you start to get a giant guild that can zerg everyone else on the server,a guarantee win seems to be what makes pvp players happy ,a challenge is usually avoided unless it is a sure win.

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this and...

If you don't like PvP that is fine, we each have our preferences. Your post though is either one of extreme ignorance to what PvP focuses games are or (being extremely generous) are just being incredibly disingenuous about what they are.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Probally won't happen since the playerbase that would actually play on such a server would be so tiny that the cost of keeping the server open and the hardware cost will probally not be worth it for bioware. I noticed in most games, the open pvp servers tend to usually be low pop, usually due to the type of players that populate them.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm going on record saying, "Won't happen".

BW isn't aiming at the hardcore so I think you are correct.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Siveria

Probally won't happen since the playerbase that would actually play on such a server would be so tiny that the cost of keeping the server open and the hardware cost will probally not be worth it for bioware. I noticed in most games, the open pvp servers tend to usually be low pop, usually due to the type of players that populate them.

So very true. Hence why I usually play on RP or PVE servers. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Affy

Only slightly true (ie: there aren't a lot of games on the market like that) and I don't know how good of an argument it is as there are many times more games available with a PvP system like we will see in swtor.

And why is that? Have you guys eve asked yourselves why more games aren't made to cater to that type of player? MMORPGs cost a lot of money to create and maintain, so it doesn't make sense to spend millions making a game that only a tiny minority of people will play. We've been there and done that already as far as that type of MMO goes. 

And no, they shouldn't be wasting resources trying to appeal to every demographic because that will just create a game that satisfies no one. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Awww, this old chestnut.  What game launch would be complete without the time-worn request for a hardcore pvp server.  And like the dozens of other times it was asked, no, it won't happen.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by DarkPony

I'd play on that.

What annoyed me most in WAR, for instance, was the shallow death pennalty: Res, repair, jump into the zerg, die, res, repair, jump into the zerg, die, etc. Dying became so meaningless that you didn't care about it anymore. At least I didn't.

Even in WOW the death pennalties were harsher with longer corpseruns, steeper res costs and more significant debuffs. (When I played it that is).

This made "not wanting to die" a more compelling feeling and world pvp had a little more excitement. Whereas EVE frequently had me shaking and trembling so badly in pvp that it impaired my gameplay, lol. The more there is to lose, the higher the excitement. Even in PVE.

I agree that it shouldn't be full loot though: it still remains a themepark game with some items probably requiring weeks of work or more to obtain. A perfect system would be giving people the option to lock out around 50% of their slots from looting; when you die your corpse might contain one of the unlocked items.

QFT

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by lizardbones
    I'm going on record saying, "Won't happen".

BW isn't aiming at the hardcore so I think you are correct.

If you're going to go on record, you should probably go with sure things like, "The sun will come up tomorrow" or "The earth is round". That kind of thing. This isn't as sure as the sun coming up, but it's a pretty sure thing.

** edit **
    I should go into why I'm so sure about this. The game was built, from scratch to not be any sort of hardcore PvP game. It supports PvP, but it is a PvE game with PvP elements.

Saying SW:ToR should have a hardcore PvP server is like saying Hello Kitty should have Harsh Death Penalties, or that WoW should have a FFA PvP with full loot servers. It just won't work and won't add anything to the game that the developers made. They've designed the game to not incorporate those things, so adding them will not make the game better. It would just lead to a whole bunch of issues where the developer has to address the fact that the game was never made to incorporate hardcore pvp (harsh death penalties, full loot pvp, etc.). *

* This is grammatically correct. I looked it up. In case you're wondering.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Pigs could fly I guess theoretically.

• Why would anyone think this game has any kind of decent infrastructure to support "hardcore" pvp?  If you really like that sort of thing you should really play a different game in which that ruleset may have some kind of non-farsical meaning.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am not against it, but I do not think they would be compatible.  With the story, companions and everything else, I think the game would go out of whack, if it was made 'hardcore'.  Games that have the story leading you, and quest railing are more built for a pace that the makers put in...It is paced to keep you on the rail usually.

I have not played swtor, but I would think the story part would get in the way of 'hardcore'.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

We may or may not be in for a surprise in regards to pvp.

*trots of smiling knowingly*

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Kyleran

Dreams are nice, but there's no way they'd spend the resources to maintain two sets of code for the sake of a couple of servers worth of subs at best.

Exactly. Two sets of code for SWTOR just to satisfy a small group of players? Not going to happen. EVER.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

It would be a great PR move by Bioware to just toss out a full loot "hardcore" pvp server. It would please all the people who think they want to play on that type of server, and it would make TOR seem a little bit different than most big budget mmos. Of course it will never happen, but it would be awesome.