Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercials for cross platform always show PC graphics.

MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

I think it is funny how cross platform games have commercials and show the PC graphics instead of the actual console graphics. Especially when that company is concentrating on the console market the hardest. Example, BF3.  DIce has said repeatedly that they are focusing on the console market (even though the PC made DICE, but that is another discussion) but when they show their TV commercials they show the PC's graphics instead of the consoles. The console can only show a fraction of what the PC can, so I understand that they want it to look awesome so people will buy. But still....... It kinda makes my stomach turn.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Mizzmo

I think it is funny how cross platform games have commercials and show the PC graphics instead of the actual console graphics. Especially when that company is concentrating on the console market the hardest. Example, BF3.  DIce has said repeatedly that they are focusing on the console market (even though the PC made DICE, but that is another discussion) but when they show their TV commercials they show the PC's graphics instead of the consoles. The console can only show a fraction of what the PC can, so I understand that they want it to look awesome so people will buy. But still....... It kinda makes my stomach turn.

Any thoughts on this?

I wont comment until you can post some sources for your claims.  I do know that Dice has made the PC version of BF3 better by allowing you to play 32v32, something the consoles can not do.

Source : http://bf3blog.com/2011/04/dice-bf3-will-have-the-largest-maps-weve-ever-made/

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I tend to see the opposite.  I've noticed that many ads for cross platform games are shown on the xbox360 even though the graphics are slightly better in ps3 and WAY better on the PC.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

In last few years almost all games are tested on a console and ALL videos shown are from console, even tho PC is superiror in anyway they still make and show every game thats mainly for consoles.

And screenshots shown indeed are sometimes(maybe 20%) not always made with highend pc but still when tested or shown on video its consoles.

Only game they claim is build 100% for PC BF3 even tho i serious doub that also most videos shown from BF3 are consoles played with controller lol.

Bad times for PC bad times:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by forest-nl

In last few years almost all games are tested on a console and ALL videos shown are from console, even tho PC is superiror in anyway they still make and show every game thats mainly for consoles.

And screenshots shown indeed are sometimes(maybe 20%) not always made with highend pc but still when tested or shown on video its consoles.

Only game they claim is build 100% for PC BF3 even tho i serious doub that also most videos shown from BF3 are consoles played with controller lol.

Bad times for PC bad times:(

I fail to see how its "bad times" for PC. Sure we get some terrible console ports. But your forgetting the growing and extremely creative independant developers coming to the fore in recent years. Theres some great major sutdio releases coming for the PC that are made to take advantage of your PCs resources as well. Whilst admittedly these arent first person shooters it doesnt mean that times are bad in general for PC gaming. It still has a LOT of exclusive or designed primarily for it releases every year. Just stay away from bad console ports and the more people do that developers might understand that its not acceptable any more.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I do not mind cross platforming at all if they did not constantly short change the PC market. They make controls that are for the console and expect the pc players to use a controller. I wish they would be diligent and make it adaptable to both. I realise that they blame pirating and loss of profits on the PC market and prefer the console market and we are playing a losing game continuing to hope that they bring more games to the PC but it sure does make me sad that they cut choices because they want to simplify things for the console.

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by kitarad

I do not mind cross platforming at all if they did not constantly short change the PC market. They make controls that are for the console and expect the pc players to use a controller. I wish they would be diligent and make it adaptable to both. I realise that they blame pirating and loss of profits on the PC market and prefer the console market and we are playing a losing game continuing to hope that they bring more games to the PC but it sure does make me sad that they cut choices because they want to simplify things for the console.

It's definitely laziness. This is why Im glad Broderlands 2 is having a seperate UI designed just for the PC. If the first had that most of my complaints would be gone. If they can do it for that any studio can. They shouldnt bother with PC releases if they cant/arent bothered to optimize controls for it.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Well, you can also say that the video's they show are on a freakin super computer with 12+gb ram, 4gb 6990 gpu, 6 core processor and what not.  However, if you play it on a computer with minimum requirements the game looks totally different and worse than PS3 version...  I've seen several XBox360 commercials though with cross platform games that they do use PC version for graphics... I've gotten the game on 360 and was like....this looks nothing like the commercial lol.

I've done quality assurance for a certain company once and saw the computer they were promoting graphics on youtube videos.  The thing was a beast that not even the most hardcore pc gamer would have access to.  It's kinda misleading, but it works to get sells.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by marinrider

Any thoughts on this?

I wont comment until you can post some sources for your claims.  I do know that Dice has made the PC version of BF3 better by allowing you to play 32v32, something the consoles can not do.

Source : http://bf3blog.com/2011/04/dice-bf3-will-have-the-largest-maps-weve-ever-made/

"I won't comment until you can post some sources for your claims. "  <--- that was a comment, oh mighty Important One who's opinion we will be blessed with after and only after we prove that we can read someone else's claim. 

You all need to get over this "post your sources" crap when people are just speaking their minds and sharing their views.  

The OP saw some commercials, took notice of something that made him feel a certain way, and then made a thread about it so he could get feedback from others who may have seen it.     If you haven't seen it, ask nicely for a point of reference, but don't try and derail every single post someone puts up just because there's nothing more 'official' for you to click on.    if you want official news, go do an interview.    Go to CNN's website.   Go somewhere else other than a forum where non-press are free to talk about stuff.    Get over yourself at least.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Any thoughts on this?

I suggest you go read up some articles on Battlefield 3 because, unlike your claim, Dice has claimed that the PC is the lead platform for Battlefield 3.

Originally posted by gimmesome

Originally posted by marinrider

Any thoughts on this?

"I won't comment until you can post some sources for your claims. "  <--- that was a comment, oh mighty Important One who's opinion we will be blessed with after and only after we prove that we can read someone else's claim. 

You all need to get over this "post your sources" crap when people are just speaking their minds and sharing their views.  

The OP saw some commercials, took notice of something that made him feel a certain way, and then made a thread about it so he could get feedback from others who may have seen it.     If you haven't seen it, ask nicely for a point of reference, but don't try and derail every single post someone puts up just because there's nothing more 'official' for you to click on.    if you want official news, go do an interview.    Go to CNN's website.   Go somewhere else other than a forum where non-press are free to talk about stuff.    Get over yourself at least.

Its not an opinion when you make a claim.  "Commericals use PC graphics" is a claim.  An opinion would be "Why does it always look like commercials are using PC graphics"  There is a big difference.  And no, I didnt comment on what he said.  He asked for thoughts, and opinions and I gave neither regarding a company showing pc graphics while focusing on the console markets.  

And how can he make the assertion that they are using PC graphics without knowing they are using PC graphics?  I know for a fact that at E3 DICE used the 360 to show the game because of its portability compared to using a desktop.

Also, its not just me that likes reliable information.  Go into a SWTOR thread, GW2 thread, TSW thread or AA and make a random claim and post no sources and see how many people tell you to post where you got your information.

(Source for Kotick quote: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-mw3-kotick-vs-bf3-riccitiello-at-e3)

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

As long as they show the SAME GAME, I don't really care what format it's shown in. Half the time I'm not paying that close attention to detail but looking at the actual product.

So if they show me a commercial that has some really incredible action like this:

and I unwrap the game on my console and it looks like this:

...we got a problem. Otherwise, I don't care if the pic is slightly better from one format to another.

Originally posted by popinjay

As long as they show the SAME GAME, I don't really care what format it's shown in. Half the time I'm not paying that close attention to detail but looking at the actual product.

So if they show me a commercial that has some really incredible action like this:

and I unwrap the game on my console and it looks like this:

...we got a problem. Otherwise, I don't care if the pic is slightly better from one format to another.

I wasn't even aware that HG:G had first person view O_o.  Anyway, I'm with you.  In comercials its pretty hard to tell which graphics are being used.  On my 360 using an HDMI cable to my HD tv the games still look pretty good, not much different than max settings of the same game (since most games dont have wildly different limits for the PC version).  How you can even tell that a commerical is using one system over another is nearly impossible with most games without actual proof or a statement of which is used. (PC, 360, or PS3).