Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Battle for Dominus: Teaser Trailer World Premier

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    The sad thing is.... Yes, you do have to choose. Indie devs have to make hard choices on what they want to focus on with limited resources.

Agreed.

People want everything. Eyepopping graphics, stellar story, insanely huge world, complex and intricate crafting, endless variations of character assembly, skills up to 1,000 choices.. all interchangable, open world, no instances, meaningful PvP with amazing objectives and consequences.. all for $10/month.

Those people kill me. They'll look at a game and say "that's ugly", then discount it and go choose a 'pretty' game and say "This PvP sucks! Why is is so bad?"

Developers cannot make the game that is in these people's heads. It's better for them to focus on things that will keep players interested and happy in the long run like WoW did; gameplay, a little humor, some fun pokey objectives, Pvp that you can expand on rather than worrying about some inane criticism about "cartoony kiddie graphics" or "ugly" looking models.

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by popinjay

You quoted a proposition I offered to someone else, and then chose neither of the options. That's why I posed the question to you; to see which one you would choose.

If you didn't want to pick one, I'm not sure why you chose to participate in that post offering the choice.

You were lumping animation in with graphics as something to be overlooked.

You don't even need insanely great animations to make a good PvP game. Why do you think both are tied at the hip?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by freejackmack

I'm on board. I'm so sick of the millions of crappy fantasy games. 1 crappy Sci-Fi game is worth 100 fantasy games imo.

The fact that I get cool Sci-Fi armor to wear instead of dresses and hair bands is reason enough!

But please next game I want to see more spaceships; can never have enough spaceships:)

I could not agree more

more spaceship

Originally posted by Arawnite
    I like the 3 factions and pvp, but the combat looks comically simple...  
    Yeah, if only they didn't release the game in this state.

Oh wait... :)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

But please next game I want to see more spaceships; can never have enough spaceships:)

I can confirm that there will be no spaceships included at launch. As said in my preview article, the gameplay, at least for launch, is completely land-based. That said, devs didn't rule it out categorically. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You don't even need insanely great animations to make a good PvP game. Why do you think both are tied at the hip?

Now we're going in circles, :P... I already offered my opinion on this. Using other games as a point of reference.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by SBFord

I can confirm that there will be no spaceships included at launch. As said in my preview article, the gameplay, at least for launch, is completely land-based. That said, devs didn't rule it out categorically. ;)

Fair enough. Thank you.

I don't need to actually ride in a spaceship, I personally just want them overhead as ambient fluff ;)

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Are people really complaining about graphics in an Indie game that's in alpha? That's just... well... idiotic. On a positive note, 3 Faction Open World PvP and Jetpacks!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Really want to like the game but neon flashing pink fullbody suits are just to damn much strain on the eyes.  Graphically it looks bad and this coming from someone that still plays Asherons Call so that says alot.

Why ruin a great concept by putting SciFi in it?  It just ruins it for me.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Um...Zylaxx...scifi was the point for Pitchblack and I say more power to 'em since it's an underrepresented setting. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Now we're going in circles, :P... I already offered my opinion on this. Using other games as a point of reference.

Other poster: "That burger looks kind of unappetizing. Is that how they plan to sell that? Doesn't look good to eat to me."

Me: "Yeah, but what kind of burger would you rather have? A burger that looks great but tastes like dogcrap, or a burger that looks bad but tastes incredibly good?"

You: "In my experience, the burgers that look good also mostly taste good."

Me: "Yes, but... which burger would you rather have: the one that looks bad/tastes good or the one that looks good/tastes bad?"

You: "Why are you asking me that?"

That's how it went. There wasn't a circle, but it doesn't need to go any further based on that kind of exchange so..

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Hold on, this is 2011 isn't? Why am I looked at a video of something that looks like it was designed by a team of 8 year olds in 2001? To anyone who is expressing an interest in this, I suggest a little research into planetside 2...christ, even planetside 1!

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

Looks wicked to me tbh and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Don't like the way it looks? I couldn't care less. Not sure why people feel they need to share the fact they dislike and won't be playing a game without any constructive argument to back it up.

The battle shown towards the end looked quite tame but as the games not out yet I'm not gonna say sh.t other than that it's got me very excited.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

You guys must be seeing something different than what I'm seeing.  The graphics are on par with GA, which are decent. Polish is always the last thing to be finished.  Every game in Alpha or stage 1 or 2 Beta have choppy animations and lack polish.

That said, I will take ok graphics and somewhat choppy animations for a game that has this type of potential. Hell.... I'd even pay for it if its released a touch buggy due to monitary problems, because it's worth putting time and money into a game if its worth it. 

There's a reason everyone is looking for a WoW killer and a reason they are bummed that one hasn't stepped up, even with all the cool graphics and animations.  People want more that that.  So go play games with pimp graphics and smooth, polished animations but lack all the things that make games great.... I will be happy with this game, especially with you not in it crying.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That's how it went. There wasn't a circle, but it doesn't need to go any further based on that kind of exchange so..

The circle I'm referring to would be my first post in this thread, which wasn't a reply to you.

As for what happened here, you made a point, I disagreed with a small part of it and gave my reasoning. Now here we are..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Hold on, this is 2011 isn't? Why am I looked at a video of something that looks like it was designed by a team of 8 year olds in 2001? To anyone who is expressing an interest in this, I suggest a little research into planetside 2...christ, even planetside 1!

While I might take your advice and check out  planetside 2,  I would prefer you keep our mmofps out of my third person mmos.image

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

Jetpacks  + PvP + 3 faction + The best gear is crafted = win

I'll be playing.....

Apotheos

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Um...Zylaxx...scifi was the point for Pitchblack and I say more power to 'em since it's an underrepresented setting. :)

I understand that.  I have never liked Sci Fi and never will.  I am and always will be an ardent Fantasy guy.  Sorry if my tastes offend anyone :P

I would prolly think different if AD&D was set in a Sci Fi setting but alas the granddaddy of all RPG is fantasy and even after 40 years I still havnt grown tired of it.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by bumuscheekus
    They could probably play both.

Since Planetside 2 is launching Free-to-Play, there's nothing stopping them from playing both games.

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I understand that.  I have never liked Sci Fi and never will.  I am and always will be an ardent Fantasy guy.  Sorry if my tastes offend anyone :P

I would prolly think different if AD&D was set in a Sci Fi setting but alas the granddaddy of all RPG is fantasy and even after 40 years I still havnt grown tired of it.

Hmmm Zylaxx sounds strangely similar to Gary Gygax...are you really dead Gary or is that you?

{mod edit - fixed spacing}  

Apotheos

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

P:BFD will definitely find its niche in the MMO community and will hopefully have steady growth.

Pitch Black is really committed to the game, lots of good feedback on the forums from the developers and just a real hands on approach.  

PB has something here that can cater to a large population of displaced MMO "veterans"  -- ones that can't find their place amongst the new releases coming up.  

While I will be playing games like SWTOR, GW2, TSW.. (TERA, Skryim, ME3 and a host of others)   I'll also be there on launch for P:BFD.    

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Im not trying to bash the game in fact Im really looking forward to it. I have been waiting for this type of game for awhile. I have to agree with some people though it doesn't look as pretty as I was hoping and the combat animations are awful. In fact nothing in the video stood out to me as anything but ugly.

The graphics are not going to stop me from playing and enjoying this game. I can look past the ugly. I just hope it starts looking better as time goes on. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

animations are actully pretty good but with allt hings still work in progress

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I love the part where they say "Large Open Worlds" then show the most enclosed space possible...

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

PBG is a great company, the crafting could approach SWG type.  There are qualities of materials, decays, critical success and failures.  Crafting alone looks epic to me.  I think a journey out of the Fantasy realm and into the Sci-fi realm just might re-invent the MMOwheel for me