Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StarWars 3D coming out in February 2012

I've just heard the 3D version of the Phantom Menace will be released in Feb 2012 . Even though this is the weakest of the movies it will obviously be massive at the box office and refresh interest in the franchise just at the same time as a new StarWars MMO is out . It could bring in even more people to this game I think . Another potential boost for the success of TOR . A game with everything going for it , decent company developing it , biggest franchise ever , huge amounts of money spent on it and now a major motion picture around the time of its release .

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

As much as I disliked the Episode 1 - 3. I am excited for this, Lucas Art's has the $$ to make the 3D really cool, like, Avatar status. So, here's hoping...And yes, everyone is going to be pumped with StarWar's again and SWTOR will be their sweet sweet release.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Eh? How can they make a movie in 3d afterwards?? ?__?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Elikal

Wish I could tell you but I am only allowed to say I am in the movie's beta and that there is a beta.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I know they did say they would start re-releasing the movies in 3D starting in 2012. I don't know where you heard February but if it's true then awesome.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Dont they add more color overlays to make it stereoscopic?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd be interested if 4-6 were actually the orginal releases and not the digital remasters, still have my OG VHS for a reason..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

real 3d has to be shot with a 3d camera, so this is just another lucas scam to further milk star wars..if he was clever he'd be making a knights of the old republic film.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It can be processed digitally.  The majority of live action movies(even modern ones) are actually done this way.

My TV can render normal programming in 3D.  It's so-so on live action programming, but CG animation looks really good.

If they do it, I hope they don't half-arse it like Clash of the Titans.  That was a horrendously crappy rendering.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I don't care for 3-D in general, although I do find it most enjoyable in animated films if I am going to watch a 3D movie.

That said, if anyone will find a way to make the special effects even more impressive by adding 3D afterwards, it is Lucas Arts.  

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Robsolf

It can be processed digitally.  The majority of live action movies(even modern ones) are actually done this way.
    My TV can render normal programming in 3D.  It's so-so on live action programming, but CG animation looks really good.
    If they do it, I hope they don't half-arse it like Clash of the Titans.  That was a horrendously crappy rendering.

Jah, it's a weird question.

Kind of like someone asking "How can they make a color movie afterwards? Didn't they already film it in Black and White first?"

Originally posted by Mellkor

Dont they add more color overlays to make it stereoscopic?

Nope.  They don't use color, any more.  They use polarization.  Two separate cameras running the movie, projecting different viewpoints with different polarization.  One lens in your (edit: polarized)glasses blocks out one camera image, the other lens blocks the other.

Home 3d works similar, except your TV doubles the frame rate to 60, and weaves back and forth between the two separate images.  Your glasses are basically lcd screens that "black out" one eye at a time at the same 60 fps rate, so that one eye always sees the one image, and the other... the other.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by popinjay

Kind of like someone asking "How can they make a color movie afterwards? Didn't they already film it in Black and White first?"

3d is a bit more complicated than turning a black and white movie into colour which isnt difficult at all.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by nerovipus32

3d is a bit more complicated than turning a black and white movie into colour which isnt difficult at all.

Difficulty aside, it answers the question of how it can be done.

Just because something is made one way doesn't mean it's locked in stone.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by paterah

I know they did say they would start re-releasing the movies in 3D starting in 2012. I don't know where you heard February but if it's true then awesome.

Lucas said it on Spike TV Scream award show when he and Darth Vader accepted an award for the Ultimate Villian. One of the few parts of the show I got to watch.

he said something like wait to you see him in 3D next febuary. 

It's funny Darth Vader was making fun of lucas before lucas came out. He was saying lucas will probably mees up the movies more by adding ewoks as piliots during the death star battle.  The crowd cheered and then out walked lucas.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

It IS kinda impressive that TV's can do 3D processing in real time, though.  Only thing I can guess is that it can detect focus, and for those things that are in focus, it moves them to the forefront, and as things go out of focus, they're moved to the background.  But it seems to be a bit smarter than that.  Not 100% accurate by any means, but animated stuff is certainly worth watching with it on.

I just hope that they're combing EVERY frame of that movie.  The CG stuff should be pretty easy; it's already plotted out in a computer and just needs to be translated.  But the live action stuff is tricky.  Every object in every frame needs to be scrutinized, or else it looks like a crap sammich, aka Superman Returns 3D.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I've just heard the 3D version of the Phantom Menace will be released in Feb 2012 . Even though this is the weakest of the movies it will obviously be massive at the box office and refresh interest in the franchise just at the same time as a new StarWars MMO is out . It could bring in even more people to this game I think . Another potential boost for the success of TOR . A game with everything going for it , decent company developing it , biggest franchise ever , huge amounts of money spent on it and now a major motion picture around the time of its release .

Only factor which can screw this game up is EA :D ... If they only chosen a different publisher it would be perfect :D

Now to the movie part... Can't wait till it's out! :D Already watched the BR movies and I can say the oldest ones were the best to watch in high def! :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by DarkPony

Wish I could tell you but I am only allowed to say I am in the movie's beta and that there is a beta.

o.o

I didn't know there are betas for movies! Lucky pony! :)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I wish they would just release all 6 movies in 3D at once. I can't wait. I have my 70" 3D Sharp Elite arriving tomorrow morning along with a new receiver and 3D BluRay Player :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Ugh, no thank you. The more I see of Lucas' newer stuff, the more I realize he's just a hack who got lucky because he didn't have the tools available to him back in the day to screw everything up. Hell, he probably added a 'NOOOOOO!', to Darth Maul's death scene, and put in a 5 minute discussion about midiclhlorians, knowing him.

To the person who mentioned him making a movie in the TOR setting, no, just NO. There's a reason it's such an awesome setting, and that reason is that good old Georgie-boy has almost nothing to do with it.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

it will just be nice to see the movies in theaters again. Lets hope they add a SWToR trailer. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It would be great if they'd make a SWTOR movies and Thrawn era movies...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Distopia

I'd be interested if 4-6 were actually the orginal releases and not the digital remasters, still have my OG VHS for a reason..

QFT, although there is this movemnt buy a guy to bring the OGs to blu-ray.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I've never been big into being milked to death on unoriginal production and as much as I love Star Wars this doesn't change things for me at all.  I'd be far more interested in seeing the expanded universe on both the small and big screen either from the old republics time or some of the great series from novels especiallt those that come right after the events of episodes 4-6.  I thought both the Jedi series and the Thrawn series of novels were awesome.

I guess any news about a related product could give some kind of a shot in the arm but outside of the star wars name they won't really have anything to do with each other.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

After they changed the scene where Han Solo shoot the bounty hunter I got so damn tired of all the remakes.

But who am I kidding, I will propably go and see the movie anyway ^^

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Ugh, no thank you. The more I see of Lucas' newer stuff, the more I realize he's just a hack who got lucky because he didn't have the tools available to him back in the day to screw everything up. Hell, he probably added a 'NOOOOOO!', to Darth Maul's death scene, and put in a 5 minute discussion about midiclhlorians, knowing him.

To the person who mentioned him making a movie in the TOR setting, no, just NO. There's a reason it's such an awesome setting, and that reason is that good old Georgie-boy has almost nothing to do with it.

THIS ^ 

Im actually interested to see how well the movie does.  You can polish a turd all you want.  Its still dirty. 

And as far as Lucas doing anything new?  God no.  Anything but that.  They were going to do a Star Wars tv show actually.  A live action show last year.  But do you know why they didnt?  Lucas.  He ended up saying he couldnt affordably figure out how to make Star Wars into a TV show with the limited budget.  2 million a show budget or so just wasnt enough for him.  He couldnt figure it out. 

This is the same guy who made Episode 4 with a some what small budget.  And entire movie.  But he cant figure out how to make a TV show with a large budget because he has no idea how to make a movie without plastering millions of dollars in CGI all over the screen.  Star Trek did it.  Firefly even did it.  No problem.   But Lucas cant figure it out. 

He's an absolute hack.  Not to mention the fact that the original trilogy was rewritten by other people and made good before it came out.  Originally he had Han as a fishy alien.  Luke and Lea fell in love.  In one scene he wrote, Luke actually punches Lea.  In the face.  Im not kidding.  He decks her.  And later they hook up.  Thats what he wrote.  The studio totally over hauled it.  The guy has no talent.  He just got lucky.  And thats all there is too it.