Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My favourite NGE quote is a microcosm of what's wrong with the MMORPG genre

2»

Comments

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by james082

Starwarsy and iconic

watch this 2005 video its funny and sad.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/10237/star-wars-galaxies-producer-julio-torres/

hahahahaha! poor bastard Torres.  He is trying so hard to make it seem like it was soooooo cool to rape swg like they did.  LOL! he actually thought the changes would make it compete with vanilla WoW

I wonder if he watches this interview now and weeps

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

I figured they wanted to turn the game into less of a gaming world and more of a "game".

I hate most mmos nowadays because everyone's a luke skywalker... If that's not retarded to you, then while that is your opinion (it not being retarded), that kind of talk is definitely what's ruining the genre. Retarded by definition does fit in this context in case someone wants to pull the politically correct card. That type of thinking that made SWG into what it is/was today is retarding progession into innovative, interesting, immersive, and rewarding mmo-games.

Also it wasn't SOE who killed it... it's always Lucas Arts who has the say or at least most of the say.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Orious

I figured they wanted to turn the game into less of a gaming world and more of a "game".

I hate most mmos nowadays because everyone's a luke skywalker... If that's not retarded to you, then while that is your opinion (it not being retarded), that kind of talk is definitely what's ruining the genre. Retarded by definition does fit in this context in case someone wants to pull the politically correct card. That type of thinking that made SWG into what it is/was today is retarding progession into innovative, interesting, immersive, and rewarding mmo-games.

Also it wasn't SOE who killed it... it's always Lucas Arts who has the say or at least most of the say.

i blame soe for not having the balls to push for the game to stay the way they developed it. and i bet you on george lucas's life that LucasArts is the damn reason why this game got turned into a flaming pile of crap like it did.  George Lucas wouldnt know anything good if it bit him in the ass, ex: Bluray Trilogy with added scenes of Darth Vader going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO like in the pos prequel.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by cheyane

So it was not all the evil SOE's fault.

no one ever said it was; and if someone did he is misinformed. 

its common knowledge that LEC has to approve much of the content that goes into their licenced games. And then they sang along the SOE/NGE tune. what else where they going to do? if they approved it? 

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Starwarsy and iconic

Oh good God! Let that one be a lesson to anyone in how Devs can go to any length of bullspit to spin what they want to spin...Guess they did not exactly come back and like the NGE in the end did they Julio? image

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

... that's eeevil....

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I remember watching an interview shortly after the NGE and the firestorm that ensured, and thinking, "Damn...how many times can they fit the word iconic in one interview."

Gaming is entertainment.  It's a bad idea in the middle of the show for the entertainers to completely change the show and then ridicule the audience for appreciating the garbage they put out.

Can you imagine if you went to a Shakespearean play, and half way through they change to Cats because the actors were having trouble delivering there lines.  And when the audience objects, the director yells at the audience, "We don't want you anyway...this isn't for you...we will get new patrons so move along."  yeah

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Starwarsy and iconic

That is hilarious to watch...

• eazeeaze Member Posts: 10

The most appalling part of this video to me is just how casually they are ridiculing their own customers.

Not sure which business school will teach you that is a good idea. Nice to finally have a name to put on the disaster though, I must admit I never looked much into why they raped the game, I just figured I'd leave it in a ditch to die.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by eaze

The most appalling part of this video to me is just how casually they are ridiculing their own customers.

Not sure which business school will teach you that is a good idea. Nice to finally have a name to put on the disaster though, I must admit I never looked much into why they raped the game, I just figured I'd leave it in a ditch to die.

Yep...The whole Video has this..."We know more than those over-reacting, uninformed Forum trolls..."  tone/feel to it that is undeniable...Really sad...image

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Yeah. It was pretty horrible how they treated us back then. Oh well. I can take comfort in knowing that the game is dead and that they lost all their playerbase.
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

"what were you guys up to?" "we saved the world! twice. before breakfast..."