Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P?

KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

Its amazing that NCSoft is able to offer a game like City Of Heroes to be F2P but has as yet been able to decide if Aion is going to be free.  It may never be free right.  WOW is not free so Aion is not free.  Similar engines.

I think both games need some redoing as in price.

GlassEye

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    aion isn't doing as bad as coh, and still very popular in Korea, so I don't think it will go f2p anytime soon.
    and after patch 3.0 release they may even see a slight increase in players

RIP Orc Choppa

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Sure, Aion lost a million subs in the past two years...drops them down to three million.  It's still NCSoft's second highest game (Lineage only took #1 because of additional sales that generated additional revenue).

Aion and CoX are nowhere near each other as far as subs or revenue.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Kalay

Its amazing that NCSoft is able to offer a game like City Of Heroes to be F2P but has as yet been able to decide if Aion is going to be free.  It may never be free right.  WOW is not free so Aion is not free.  Similar engines.

WoW and Aion do not have similar engines at all.  Like, not even close to the same engine. 

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Sure, Aion lost a million subs in the past two years...drops them down to three million.  It's still NCSoft's second highest game (Lineage only took #1 because of additional sales that generated additional revenue).

Theres no news nor information that "Aion lost a million subs in the past two years" and theres no information about "3+1 million subs two years ago" either.

Please refrain from spreading such rumors.

As for F2P.. Its not as if NCSoft "couldnt" change Aion to F2P "yet", its simply they dont want to, as they dont see any need nor advantage of it apparently.

Um... http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

How is that spreading a rumor?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Kalay

So, just to get this straight...  You feel if you were president of NCSoft that a reduction in fee's to Aion is a smart idea?  You feel that having the number two/three MMO in the world and making over 50 million per month is a bad thing and that they should lower their fee in search of a hypothetical new user base?

You do realize that SWG went searching for this hypothetical new user base when they launched the NGE right?  Did it work out for them?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Wild guessing doesnt become a fact nor gains any more validation by expressing it in form of a dot on a scientifically appearing chart, neither does it by posting it on a website you own. There is NO news about or indicating these explicit peaks, nor those losses you named.

Otherwise please update your knowledge to the latest known factual facts featured below. its a chart. It cant be wrong.

So the only evidence you will take is a note from NCSoft admitting they lost a crap load of subs?  I'm not saying that MMOdata is totally accurate but on the other hand, I do know western MMO players dont tend to like eastern grind games and I'm sure Rift grabbed some subs from Aion as well.  Without a note from NCSofts mom, I'm still faily confident that they have indeed lost some subs.  How many subs I dont know but to say they have not lost any due to no word from NCSoft is a bit naive.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Theres no news nor information that "Aion lost a million subs in the past two years" and theres no information about "3+1 million subs two years ago" either.

Please refrain from spreading such rumors.

As for F2P.. Its not as if NCSoft "couldnt" change Aion to F2P "yet", its simply they dont want to, as they dont see any need nor advantage of it apparently.

Um... http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

How is that spreading a rumor?

Wild guessing doesnt become a fact nor gains any more validation by expressing it in form of a dot on a scientifically appearing chart, neither does it by posting it on a website you own. There is NO news about or indicating these explicit peaks, nor those losses you named and mmodata is already know to use "guesses" and "estimates" aka nothing more than any poster here could provide you with.

Otherwise please update your knowledge to the latest known factual facts featured below. its a chart. It cant be wrong.

MMOData is not my site, lol...

...no news to represent that increase?  Um, lol...you're kidding right?

So the release of the game in North America, Japan, Australia, Europe, and Russia would not trigger a spike in the game's subscribers...?

Um, lol...you're kidding right?

The release of WoW's Cataclysm would not have triggered a decline?  The sheer number of games released between the end of 2010 and now would not have?

WoW lost just as many subs in half the time...

...NCSoft is laying off near 2% of their workforce in a consolidation effort.

Keep kidding yourself...if it helps.

• joanne71joanne71 Member Posts: 63

Sounds about right, and that was probably 800,000 North American subs that dropped.

@Sukiyaki, while normally it is not done in this manner - you've taken such an antagonistic approach in response, I'm going to go ahead and ask...

...do you have proof that Aion did not lose that many subs over the two year period?

You state that the information from that site is bogus - yet - you offer no actual proof to the contrary to refute those numbers.

Do you have sub numbers from NCSoft stating otherwise?

Because, generally speaking - my original post was that even though Aion had lost a number of subs over that two year period - the game was still doing well and it would be silly for NCSoft to go F2P with the game at this point based on doing so with CoX.

CoX's sub numbers have always been miniscule in comparison to Aion - even with the drop.

Aion's generally the leading revenue generator for NCSoft (only being outpaced in Q2 because of a sales push for Lineage).

Reasons to explain both the growth of Aion to the high point on the chart and for the decline after it have been provided... the obvious explanation for the growth and reasonable explanations for the decline.

So...prove the data from MMOData is wrong...

...instead of just saying it is.

@Sukiyaki... source for anything you said?  No source?  Just more typing...eh?

You contradicted yourself numerous times in what you stated... at that.

I'm done with this thread.  I have a habit of getting in trouble for feeding trolls.  I'll not continue to do so here.

Good luck... good life.