Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Making the Switch?

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Originally posted by popinjayI saw this on another site, link to Ebay:Winning bid: US $810.00I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

Eh. That was a charity auction donated by Bioware. Doesn't really reflect what the typical customer would pay for a product.

But I'm in agreement with the whole limited edition bait n switch. Its all the same crap: Limited/Collector's/Special/Anniversary/Gold/OMG Edition. After a while, you just have to laugh.

Ah.. thanks. I thought that was awfully high, lol.

I do see the CE's selling for near $300 and marvel at that price. Does kind of make me feel as though the $150 I paid was dirt cheap when I see that.

We'll see if come launch, it's as limited as they say it is. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see all the people on the fence now going at launch

"Damn, anyone have any buddy keys? I tried to get a copy but they're all sold out. Bioware's site says they aren't sellling anymore until two weeks from now, and that's just the regular edition!"

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    My wife and I went with the DD copy of the game and have no desire to upgrade. I personally think the 149.99 + 20 bucks to pre-order a game is a joke. No game is worth that much, but to the fans that bought the 179.99 price tag, I hope you are happy and every time I see a post with the CE tag it makes me grin as I think ... sucker.

Pretty sure you get the $20 bucks credited to your account. It's just something that holds the order.

I think even on their site they charge $5 extra but it will be counted towards the total price you pay, not in addition to it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by popinjay
    Originally posted by popinjayI saw this on another site, link to Ebay:Winning bid: US $810.00I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

Eh. That was a charity auction donated by Bioware. Doesn't really reflect what the typical customer would pay for a product.

But I'm in agreement with the whole limited edition bait n switch. Its all the same crap: Limited/Collector's/Special/Anniversary/Gold/OMG Edition. After a while, you just have to laugh.

I do see the CE's selling for near $300 and marvel at that price. Does kind of make me feel as though the $150 I paid was dirt cheap when I see that.

We'll see if come launch, it's as limited as they say it is. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see all the people on the fence now going at launch

"Damn, anyone have any buddy keys? I tried to get a copy but they're all sold out. Bioware's site says they aren't sellling anymore until two weeks from now, and that's just the regular edition!"

Ouch 300 bucks? Well, 150 bucks for collectors editions that have hands on stuff like art books, statues, etc I think are pretty cool. I've personally never purchased one but that's just me.
    I just hate to see companies sell stuff as limited, then 2 months later there it is again "back by popular demand". Irks me. I hope they don't do that with TOR CE.
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I switched up to a collectors edition box. Main reason is that I am a star wars fan anyway and will buy the box with the contents even if I do not play the game.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I saw this on another site, link to Ebay:

Winning bid: US $810.00

I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

Ouch 300 bucks? Well, 150 bucks for collectors editions that have hands on stuff like art books, statues, etc I think are pretty cool. I've personally never purchased one but that's just me.

I just hate to see companies sell stuff as limited, then 2 months later there it is again "back by popular demand". Irks me. I hope they don't do that with TOR CE.

I'm a little confused here.  When did BioWare ever say that the Collector's Edition would be a Limited Edition?  CE doesn't even imply a LE.  It just means it will have more "collectable" stuff in it and therefore cost more, which means less people are likely to buy it.

The closest BioWare ever came to talking about a LE was when that announced that pre-orders would be limited, but they never said they would limit the overall sales of the game OR the CE.  Only that they were going to limit the pre-order sales in order to make the game launch smoother.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Because you have gullible people who are suckered into the marketing hype, all the stuff you get is cheap made in china rubbish. Take the term exclusive lightly, it will not remain so for very long. If they can resell box or items in it  to another player, thay may be down to how long the hype meter stays up after TOR launch. I think  It's a 3 month MMO before people will be moaning about it, and these items resell value starts to drop as the the desire for the game fades. Making it too much like single player with co op tagged on with some scripted battlegrounds won't last very long to keep the interest.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I bought the DDE but on seeing the footage of the VIP area that comes with the CE I was tempted however this month has been a bit tough financially and I decided the extra wasn't worth access to the store. Besides I bare no grudge towards those that are willing to pony up for the CE, having hate for someone because they posses something you desire has more to do with childishness than the darkside! However I'm glad to see most people here have gotten over it or purchased the CE, if not then when playing SWTOR please try to keep your self pity on your side of the PC.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• PrigoginePrigogine Member Posts: 18

I'm guessing there will be the option for non-CE's to purchase those digital items after the fact. (or items of similar nature).  Maybe not right away...but eventually.  However I'm guessing they will be inflated prices due to the fact that they are sold separately.  So if one was to purchase all the items of CE seapartely it would cost twice as much as just purchasing the CE (well maybe not twice as much but you get what I'm trying to say).  I, however, pre-order CE when it first came available.  I'm afraid I have fallen into that category of CE junkie.  I'm a marketing wetdream lol. I WANT MY DIGITAL BLING!  Plus I love the statue of Darth Malgus.  Read the book, Decieved, it was great!

Originally posted by GMan3

I saw this on another site, link to Ebay:
    Winning bid: US $810.00
    I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

I'm a little confused here.  When did BioWare ever say that the Collector's Edition would be a Limited Edition? 

It's on the SWTOR pre-order site.

Limited Collector's Edition Includes:

Limited Collector's Edition Includes:
    Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
    Game disks collectible metal case
    The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural as annotated by Satele Shan
    The Old Republic galaxy map
    Custom Security Authentication Key
    Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
    High-quality Collector's Edition box

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

CE is not available in Russia, so I had to go for a digital deluxe edition pre-order. It is a shame they don't sell the most premium version in the digital (well at first I thought that the digital deluxe is the same one as CE but without the useless crap they put in the box - now I see I might be wrong about it). There is no options for me anyway. :-)

• Chrono223Chrono223 Member UncommonPosts: 46

I don't know if anyone looked into this, I wanted to know if someone could purchase the Digital Deluxe edition and then  buy the Collectors and add that key to your Bioware account.

I might be able to get the EU version of the collectors and since you do not need to be on the EU servers (they said you can connect to any servers US or EU with any version of the game). Just wondering if anyone knew if it would work!

Thanks!

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

moo.....milk me moar plz

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

There's a sucker born every minute.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I think its very interesting that supposedly more people are switching over to buying the CE now. There was a number(unknown) of people that got the CE because they wanted to have any exclusive items of power they could get. But you don't hear about those people downgrading do you?

Maybe that they AREN'T including items of power is more of a reason to support BW.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I payed the 150 for the physical CE why bitch? you get what you payed for. and it's a little to late to ask for an upgrade option. if they changed it now there would be lawsuits for false advertising.

if you had the money to get the CE for 150 why didnt you? wife tell you no? mom and dad said no way?.

I see so much bitching about the store we get. i'm sure at some point they will allow the store for the CE on TORs first exansion. even if it's digital.

• ThorblesThorbles Member Posts: 2

What do you mean, "they're starting to be interested now"?? I went to Gamestop the day after preorder became available and got their second to last Collector's Edition preordered.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The hype surrounding this game is reaching massive levels. Personally, the fluff items in the CE store hardly justify the $150 price tag. But, if people really want to spend that much on a video game they may or may not like, I say: let them! If the game disappoints, maybe, just maybe, some will learn the dangers of buying into the hype.

Of course, if the game is good, the money will hopefully go towards further development to make it even better.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    No, they won't be selling the CE items in a store, people like myself who have paid for the CE to get those items will be pissed off because everyone else gets those items too? No won't happen. It's funny people bitch and complain that they should get those items when they paid $59.99 for the game when people like us paid $179.99 with tax, either pony up the cash or stop bitching and be happy you got a copy of the game!

Also, people stating the game won't last three months are out to lunch, good luck on that statement and just stop being jelious!
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I can't wait for the threads from people that blindly shelled out $150 for the CE and TOR doesn't turn out to be the game they wanted. I may need a towel handy for the schadenfreudegasm.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by GMan3

I'm a little confused here.  When did BioWare ever say that the Collector's Edition would be a Limited Edition?  CE doesn't even imply a LE.  It just means it will have more "collectable" stuff in it and therefore cost more, which means less people are likely to buy it.
        The closest BioWare ever came to talking about a LE was when that announced that pre-orders would be limited, but they never said they would limit the overall sales of the game OR the CE.  Only that they were going to limit the pre-order sales in order to make the game launch smoother.

Really? It was called Limited Collectors Edition on the website from the beginning.

edit: nvm popinjay did a better job pointing that out. thanks :)

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

Nice article as I recently hunted down a CE to upgrade from digital. I enjoyed the beta and wanted the extras, I have all the wow tomes from CE..they look really cool next to each other on my book shelf. I do feel for $150 we should get more free play time then standard editions.. 60, or 90 days instead of basic 30.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

heard CE buyers have priority on acessing the game, beta access and early start queues.. might be just rumours tho.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

• Originally posted by EduardoASG

heard CE buyers have priority on acessing the game, beta access and early start queues.. might be just rumours tho.

just rumors.  pre-orderinga CE doesn't give priotity to anything over other editions

Originally posted by HurricanePip

Sounds to me like people are being sucked into questionable business practices.  No you can't change your pre-order because you lose your early access position?  Really?

you can change your pre-order and not lose your early access position.  since all editions offer the same pre-order bonuses, the edition you had when you put in the code doesnt matter, and canceling a pre-order doesn't cancel the code on the official site.  so if you cancel one to change to another, it doesn't affect the code you previously put in.

• SpawnLODSpawnLOD Member Posts: 33

People will upgrade because they really want to... Its as simple as that.  They have a release date, there fans of Star Wars, and from all the info out there, its going to be a very well polished MMO, that will hopefully have some staying power. Plus having all the little perks like the store and starter stuff, even if they decide to sell it to everyone later, the CE owners get it now :P

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by pierth

I can't wait for the threads from people that blindly shelled out $150 for the CE and TOR doesn't turn out to be the game they wanted. I may need a towel handy for the schadenfreudegasm.

Well for the rest of us who don't get off on other peoples grief AND who have played two beta weekends and know the game very well, we'll enjoy our investment very much thank you :)

I do feel somewhat bad you think $150 for a CE with tons of goodies far beyond the game itself is too pricey. I clear more than that in a day (and I work 7.5 hour days lol). Hell my overtime bonus pay 1 week every 3 months covers that without any call outs. If you need food stamps let me know. I'll treat you as a tax deductible for a charity hand out.

As with all games, it won't be for everyone. If you don't enjoy you can simply man up and stow the egocentrism.

You stay sassy!