Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship naming?

I'm gonna assume that this is not a feature, considering I haven't been able to find anything on it, but does anyone know for sure?  Or if it's in that mythical "post-launch considerations" space?  Considering they're putting out ships inspired by the Millenium Falcon, Slave I, whathaveyou, I think it wouldn't be too much to ask to be able to name our ships.  Not a big deal, I realize, but it would just be one more little mite of immersion and would help me feel a little different from everyone else who had exactly the same ships (and companions filling those ships) as me.

Thanks!

Comments

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I like the idea as much as you and agree that, its small and not really "necessary". But it does add to the experience, as small as it maybe to add. :) .. 

In fact, already have mine ready. I"ll be a smuggler and my ships name is "The Bait and Switch" heh :) 

(Damn it Yoda, she's a fairy, your a jedi, you can do it!) 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I think it would be cool also, but its not Star trek where your ship name is displayed on the ship itself.

***Raving Rabbid is waiting patiently to cruise around in the Fury class ship with plunger weapons!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I've seen absolutely no information on what names the ships will have. They may allow us to name our ships ourselves, who really knows?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

HMS Personal Instance is boldly going on rails where noone has gone on rails before?

Nice feature idea though. I hope they'll add that as well as customizing interiors / paint jobs, etc.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I'll be happy, as long as the naming box is long enough for omglaserspewpew

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by DarkPony

HMS Personal Instance is boldly going on rails where noone has gone on rails before?

Nice feature idea though. I hope they'll add that as well as customizing interiors / paint jobs, etc.

That's a good point. The ships will be in a personal hanger isntance. So other than being in a group and going into the hanger instance together. When would anyone see someone elses ship?

I would hope that once they look into PvP in space. That would be when customization, naming and so on would be put in. But before that, it would be for your eyes only anyway.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Otheym87Otheym87 Member Posts: 23

For my eyes only would be fine for the time being.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Otheym87

For me too, but Artemis is right in his assessment I think. They'd only add that if people would get to show off their ship to eachother.

REALLY hoping for a large space content expansion as that would expand Swtor in a very deep and broad sense:

- Guild ships

- Open space content / free roaming / (no)-go areas with ffa pvp

- Ability to fly a ship with friends: one on the rudder, others on the turrets

- Space professions: roid mining / ship building / bounty hunting / discovery / smuggling, etc

- Much wider range of ships as well as player made ones

- Of course a deep customization of interiors and exteriors and improvements in capabilities

That would be truly awesome. Perhaps the main obstacle: spreading the player base too thin, could be handled by making planetary based resources a requirement for your space needs, server cap increase, as well as maybe having multiple servers share single nodes of vast space areas.

I'd be very disapointed personally, if Swtor expansions would be as generic like WOW's: more of the same, a level cap increase, new bit of land and a new race or class and rendering all your gear obsolete while they are at it; NEW INCENTIVES (to pay us) FOR EVERYONE!

We can only hope that they'll go beyond that :)

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by DarkPony

For me too, but Artemis is right in his assessment I think. They'd only add that if people would get to show off their ship to eachother.

REALLY hoping for a large space content expansion as that would expand Swtor in a very deep and broad sense:

- Guild ships

- Open space content / free roaming / (no)-go areas with ffa pvp

- Ability to fly a ship with friends: one on the rudder, others on the turrets

- Space professions: roid mining / ship building / bounty hunting / discovery / smuggling, etc

- Much wider range of ships as well as player made ones

- Of course a deep customization of interiors and exteriors and improvements in capabilities

That would be truly awesome. Perhaps the main obstacle: spreading the player base too thin, could be handled by making planetary based resources a requirement for your space needs, server cap increase, as well as maybe having multiple servers share single nodes of vast space areas.

I'd be very disapointed personally, if Swtor expansions would be as generic like WOW's: more of the same, a level cap increase, new bit of land and a new race or class and rendering all your gear obsolete while they are at it; NEW INCENTIVES (to pay us) FOR EVERYONE!

We can only hope that they'll go beyond that :)

As long as we are dreaming.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/galaxy-map 

The Galaxy map does have the unknown regions with Illum as the only planet in the sector. There should be, wishfully thinking, be many more PvP planets to go into that sector. They could expand this sector to include the open space for PvP if this becomes the PvP sector.

It wouldn't be completely open space, only a sector. But it would be better than just a mimi game. And they could expand to guild ships, bases harvesting and building and so forth in the sector. But again, just dreaming. 

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Syllendale
    I like the idea as much as you and agree that, its small and not really "necessary". But it does add to the experience, as small as it maybe to add. :) .. 
    In fact, already have mine ready. I"ll be a smuggler and my ships name is "The Bait and Switch" heh :) (Damn it Yoda, she's a fairy, your a jedi, you can do it!) 

Considering you may be sleeping with your companions, you could call it the "Bait and Smooch"
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Fur My Eyes Only would be a nifty ship name...if you could play a furry race.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SafariSSafariS Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by Xondar123

I've seen absolutely no information on what names the ships will have. They may allow us to name our ships ourselves, who really knows?

The ships do have a name, for example Smuggler one is called Corellian XS. Might not be the name you wanted. ..but they do have one :)

Same as for every class, for example Bounty Hunter's ship is called D5-Mantis ... see for yourself http://www.oldrepublic.net/138-bounty-hunter-guide.html

Can check the other classes to find out the ship name.

Anyways it would be cool to let you name the ship as you want, but i honestly doubt they will make this feature available.... D5-Mantis sounds like a song or something ...

• Otheym87Otheym87 Member Posts: 23

Yeah, I knew about that, but that's just the ship model name, I thought, not the name of the actual ship.  Oh well, there's bigger things to worry about prior to launch than this, just thought it would be a neat touch.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by SafariS

Originally posted by Xondar123

The ships do have a name, for example Smuggler one is called Corellian XS. Might not be the name you wanted. ..but they do have one :)

Same as for every class, for example Bounty Hunter's ship is called D5-Mantis ... see for yourself http://www.oldrepublic.net/138-bounty-hunter-guide.html

Can check the other classes to find out the ship name.

Anyways it would be cool to let you name the ship as you want, but i honestly doubt they will make this feature available.... D5-Mantis sounds like a song or something ...

Those aren't the names of the ships, those are the classes or types of ships. Do you remember those famous movies with Han Solo's ship, the YT-1300 light freighter in them? Of course you don't, because Han Solo's YT-1300 light freighter was named the Millenium Falcon.

So yes, there is still room to have names for our ships.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

If you had an actual ship... I suppose it'd be great.

But - we know that your ship is just a screen you click through to either switch to another planet or access the space mini-games... If and when they implement a proper universe with actual ships travelling about... then I'm sure it will be there.