Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Force pull

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay normally i don't ponit out an ability by itself for a class and then makea  post about it, but i saw this on the dev tracker and thought it was an interesting ability.

10.23.2011 , 08:34 PM

Sages also get access to 'Rescue', a friendly pull with accompanying threat reduction. Not just useful for pulling out your friend when they get themselves into too much trouble, also quite nice for quick vertical plays in Huttball.

Which basically means that you can pull a person (i assume a group member) away from a set of mobs and give them a threat reduction incase you get a bad pull.

If thats the case (and i'm seeing it right) thats a cool little ability to have that is very situational. Even useful as they state in huttball where you could have a sage on one end force pull a trooper over the acid pit and closer to the goal.

Note: I'm not going to do this with every ability (create a new post) just with one that i think are a creative way of doing things.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Now, everybody here must know by now that I LOVE this game and have generally only good things to say about it, so don't all jump on me for pointing this out, but...there are a few abilities in TOR you know they pulled right out of WoW.  Force pull (or Rescue, if that's what it is called)  is one of them, as it is basically a duplicate of the Priest ability "Leap of Faith," or Life Grip, as many people called it.  Not sure if Leap of Faith had an aggro reduction component, but yeah...it's pretty much the same thing.  There are quite a few examples of derivative abilities in this game that were borrowed from other titles, but you see that in most games.  

But yeah, I agree with the OP, it's a very cool ability, and will definitely come in handy in certain situations.  When I played a warrior tank in WoW, it was generally used by our priest as a way to give me a heart attack, as he could Life Grip me over chasms and ledges to the other side.  I spent a lot of time cursing him over Vent.  ;)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Sounds really nice but I suppose it's also pretty exploitable: maybe a little bit far fetched but it allows people to purposely screw up fights by pulling "friends" out of the action. Not so nice when you are, say, a jedi knight that's finally on top of that sniper on a ledge.

Originally posted by DarkPony

Sounds really nice but I suppose it's also pretty exploitable: maybe a little bit far fetched but it allows people to purposely screw up fights by pulling "friends" out of the action. Not so nice when you are, say, a jedi knight that's finally on top of that sniper on a ledge.

Our guild in WoW used to call it the "Dumb Shit" ability when we raided.  If our priest used it on one of the dps, then that person knew they were a dumb shit for standing somewhere they weren't supposed to be standing (ie fire).  

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Both Jedi and Sith Melee class possess Force Jump (can't remember name, I think that's it though).  For closing the distance. I imagine the distance they can leap into someone, is probably the same as the distance one could be Force Pulled.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Biggus99

Now, everybody here must know by now that I LOVE this game and have generally only good things to say about it, so don't all jump on me for pointing this out, but...there are a few abilities in TOR you know they pulled right out of WoW.  Force pull (or Rescue, if that's what it is called)  is one of them, as it is basically a duplicate of the Priest ability "Leap of Faith," or Life Grip, as many people called it.  Not sure if Leap of Faith had an aggro reduction component, but yeah...it's pretty much the same thing.  There are quite a few examples of derivative abilities in this game that were borrowed from other titles, but you see that in most games.  

But yeah, I agree with the OP, it's a very cool ability, and will definitely come in handy in certain situations.  When I played a warrior tank in WoW, it was generally used by our priest as a way to give me a heart attack, as he could Life Grip me over chasms and ledges to the other side.  I spent a lot of time cursing him over Vent.  ;)

How exactly is that a negative?

There's only so many possible abilities that are usefull. I mean you could go ahead and create abilities that instantly wipe your entire raid, those haven't been used by any other game for sure. But if you want actual fun and playable abilities they're going to have been used before.

I'm pretty sure that Leap of Faith or whatever didn't appear until the later expansions and was likely ripped straight from a MOBA game or some other game. It's bound to have been used before at some point in time.

We're probably at the point where just about every single possible practical ability has already been done, be it in a SRPG, MOBA, MMORPG or something else. In most, if not all, MMOs 95% of the abilities will have been done before in some shape or form. Just like just about every type of gun has been used before in shooters.

But that's not really a negative is it? I'd rather have a shooter with as much gun variety as possible. I'd also rather have an MMO that had every single cool ability I could think of regardless of whether or not they were used previously.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Wasn't Force Pull present in the first SW trilogy, some decades before WoW's "Leap of Faith"?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Shodanas

Wasn't Force Pull present in the first SW trilogy, some decades before WoW's "Leap of Faith"?

Yes, but it just "pulled" things.  It wasn't a specific MMORPG ability that pulls an ally back and reduces aggro.

Biggus wasn't talking about the "name" of the ability, he was talking about its implementation in SWTOR.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

WoW is the original creation of God, so therefore No, it wasn't in the Star Wars trilogy first.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

See, PvP messeged up MMO's. When i look back on the Exploits back in AC and EQ. It wasn't about the constant balancing act. it was about fun and adventure. It's nice to feel OP sometimes, and I understand where that would suck in PvP. but if you don't like, then don't PvP. How they do PvP is all wrong imo. They need entirely seperate builds that can't be used whilest doing the other.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Original creation of Satan don't you mean?

Originally posted by gobla

How exactly is that a negative?

There's only so many possible abilities that are usefull. I mean you could go ahead and create abilities that instantly wipe your entire raid, those haven't been used by any other game for sure. But if you want actual fun and playable abilities they're going to have been used before.

I'm pretty sure that Leap of Faith or whatever didn't appear until the later expansions and was likely ripped straight from a MOBA game or some other game. It's bound to have been used before at some point in time.

We're probably at the point where just about every single possible practical ability has already been done, be it in a SRPG, MOBA, MMORPG or something else. In most, if not all, MMOs 95% of the abilities will have been done before in some shape or form. Just like just about every type of gun has been used before in shooters.

But that's not really a negative is it? I'd rather have a shooter with as much gun variety as possible. I'd also rather have an MMO that had every single cool ability I could think of regardless of whether or not they were used previously.

I didn't say it was a negative.  I would expect MMOs to borrow good ideas from other games.  I was just pointing out the uses that ability had based on my experience with it in WoW.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

I didn't say it was a negative.  I would expect MMOs to borrow good ideas from other games.  I was just pointing out the uses that ability had based on my experience with it in WoW.

You did. That's how you use "but" :P.

Now, everybody here must know by now that I LOVE this game and have generally only good things to say about it, so don't all jump on me for pointing this out, but...there are a few abilities in TOR you know they pulled right out of WoW.

You first declared that you usually only say good things but....

Thus directly implying that what you're about to say isn't a good thing AKA a negative thing.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• joanne71joanne71 Member Posts: 63

Open Office is a copy of Microsoft Word which was a copy of Word Perfect.

Implementation details get copied - the source code which makes it all actually work cannot be copied.

WoW copied from predecessors, so freakin what.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

This ability was amazing in WoW for battlegrounds. You know how many dumbshits I pulled back to the farm to help me defend?

My personal favorite use for it was in WSG when some jerk wouldn't cap the flag so we couldn't win. I'd just stand on the flag base and 'yoink', thanks!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

sith marauders pull enemies to them to murder, force pull then choke, dead target that couldnt get away muahahahaha.

Originally posted by gobla

You did. That's how you use "but" :P.

Now, everybody here must know by now that I LOVE this game and have generally only good things to say about it, so don't all jump on me for pointing this out, but...there are a few abilities in TOR you know they pulled right out of WoW.

You first declared that you usually only say good things but....

Thus directly implying that what you're about to say isn't a good thing AKA a negative thing.

Yeah, you misunderstood my post then.  I said "but" simply to point out that the ability isn't something new, and before that, I prefaced that by saying that I love the game so people wouldn't think I was just blindly bashing it..  Because I'm aware of how easily people on this forum take things the wrong way and assume someone is attacking the game even if they are just pointing out something that isn't necessarily a negative.  And you just proved my point, btw, by doing the exact thing I was trying to prevent.  

Also, you conveniently left out the other "but" I used, when I said, "There are quite a few examples of derivative abilities in this game that were borrowed from other titles, but you see that in most games."  In other words, I acknowledged that it was something that most games do anyway.  And the next paragraph I even agreed that it was a cool ability.  So, if want to take that as a negative, that's on you.  My post was simply to illustrate that the force pull ability is something that has been seen in other games before, and i was illustrating to Whilan how it was used in WoW.    

So yeah...you misinterpreted the intent of my post.  

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

So yeah...you misinterpreted the intent of my post.  

Lol, best off not mentioning anything to do with WOW in any SWTOR thread :)

So can this ability be used on enemies, pulling single targets, in addition to allies? I guess its just friendly, since its called "Rescue"...

The Sith probably get the pull enemy ability, so they can chop them up.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

As a kid I played Jedi Knight like mad. Pulling and pushing fools before there was even a WoW. Adding a aggro mech to a skill they all ready had in Star Wars... is not shocking or worth posting about. This is a MMO, adding MMO mechanics to skills like this just make sence.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Quick post before i get ready for work.

I never really stated it was a new feature. I stated it was interesting and to me worth noting because pulling another person seems more of a tatical thing then just running in and blasting things to death or running away if the team gets in trouble. Likewise i never said it wasn't used in other games nor something that wasn't akin to star wars in general. Just that it was an interesting ability that provides something different then what i normally see in MMOs.

I personally don't care if something is used in something else before, because as has been pointed out in numerous occasions in every MMO that happens. As well as it does in every game. The point i believe i was trying to get from the thread was the point that there was an ability that you could use in certain situations like when you are PvPing, or PvEing and if you happen to be doing some exploring and that other person can't make that jump for some reason, you can force pull them up.

Thus it's an ability that you can use in a multitude of situations, and it's not just an attack or a buff. But a utilty ability that is actually useful in the game instead of just making someone look bigger or some other cosemtic thing. Hence i thought it was interesting and worth nothing that TOR does indeed have this ability.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.