Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim specs released

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by devian

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Originally posted by kostoslav

Its not about the looks, its about how limited the game is on consoles (no mods)

This game is huge. Most people won't need mods and might never actually finish it.

There are still people who haven't finished Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 yet.

Only reason to get this on a PC is because someone doesn't like consoles and prefers PC, but consoles will do just fine for the majority.

Most people who mod propably don't do it for more content but to change the game. Make it harder/esier/preetier/change ui/add some ibnterestin g systems etc. Getting a game like this for a console when you can play it on pc is strange.

Larger viewing area?  Higher quality audio? The ability to play on your couch?  The fact that the game will probably FEEL like a console port (as Oblivion did).

Some people don't have high quality gaming PCs, and for those that don't, the game will probably look better on consoles when you factor in distance from the screen and the fact that AA won't be such an issue.

I played Oblivion on both the X-box 360, PS3, and the PC, and outside of the ability to have mods, I much preferred the console version.  Now if this were Morrowind, the PC would win hands down.  In every sense of the word, Oblivion felt designed for consoles hence it just felt weird playing it on a PC.

Exactly, I would even go as far to say that MOST people don't have high quality gaming PCs. Even on these forums you see people talking about their need to upgrade their rigs from games like AoC which are already two years old.

Skyrim is first and foremost a console game like the ones before it. It plays well on PC (better?) but that is something people don't understand doesn't matter. Most people will probably buy this game in console form and will never even know they are 'missing' a better picture because as you said correctly, they will be in front of a big screen T.V. on the couch playing it.

The 50 or 60 inch television factor generally is a bigger draw than a 24 inch monitor as far as eye-candy and preference for most people, not matter how much sharper graphics may look.

LOL

Newsflash, Elder Scrolls has first and foremost always been originally a PC game. 

And if you can afford a 50 or 60 inch television, I'm banking on the fact your PC is top of the line. Not to mention a high quality PC costs about the same as a PS3 now.

You can get a high quality PC for 250 dollars?

Aside from being mistaken about that, you are also mistaken about Elder Scrolls always being a PC-baed game.  Arena through Morrowind were all primarily PC based titles.  Morrowind had a console port, but it was nowhere near as user friendly as the PC version, and it had major optimization issues especially with the GoTY edition.  Oblivion, on the other hand, seems built from the ground up to be ran on a console.  That's not saying Bethesda doesn't respect its PC users as the series still has heavy mod support and better graphics, but the series' target audience these days appears to be console gamers.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by maskedweasel

The majority of people who buy for consoles would never go through the trouble to install mods anyways,  but they are likely not going to get the same kind of longevity out of the game either.  I still play Oblivion, and FO 3 and NV at least once a month, and check the mods often for new challenges, races, areas, etc.   You don't get that on the console.  

Agree with two "kinds" of people buying Skyrim; the average gamer crowd and the mass market crowd.

The average gamer crowd needs all the mods, bells and whistles after they've played through the game. Even the hardest core person isn't going to finish Elder Scrolls in one month, maybe two because there's so much in there.

Now translate that to the mass market who aren't even as good players as the gaming crowd. They actually will get far more value out of Skyrim without any use of mods and such because the game is huge already, easy to play but difficult to master.

I tend to think we are talking about apples/oranges here because for MOST people (not most gamers) Skyrim will be a better value played on a 360 due to not having the computer to run it nor the desire, know-how or skill to want mods.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

You can get a high quality PC for 250 dollars?

Yep.

Just go down to 22nd and Filmore streets and you'll see an alley off to the side. Go down the alley, make a left, and go under a fence that's pulled back a little.

Once by the fence, take the second building and go up the back stairs (Do NOT use the front stairs; the pitbull there is no joke) and take the service elevator up to the 4th floor.

After exiting the elevator, step over the piss-smelling bums, watch out for the crackheads in the next three rooms and climb out the fire escape to the top floor (not the roof!)

On the top floor, raise your hands C A R E F U L L Y and say "Vinny sent you, and you like canolis". Once the thugs at the door frisk you, go inside and don't make any sudden moves or look around. The guy behind the cage will sell you a "high-end computer" for the price of a PS3.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

The 50 or 60 inch television factor generally is a bigger draw than a 24 inch monitor as far as eye-candy and preference for most people, not matter how much sharper graphics may look.

LOL
    Newsflash, Elder Scrolls has first and foremost always been originally a PC game. 

And if you can afford a 50 or 60 inch television, I'm banking on the fact your PC is top of the line. Not to mention a high quality PC costs about the same as a PS3 now.

You'd be wrong too.

Most people will buy a big screen because most people watch TV first and foremost. For less than $2,000 you can buy a huge TV to watch the ballgames, your pron, cable, satellite and movies on. That's why people have those and will spend that money.

Conversely most of those people will not spend $1,500 or $2,000 for a high-end computer which is what we are talking about. You can't go out and get one for less than that, lol.

What "high quality PC" costs $300 and where does the average person go and buy that one from? Does someone have to borrow your time machine to get that deal?

You can get a fairly decent gaming PC in the 4 - 600 dollar range that will play most games,  or build something along the pretty high end for 800 - 1000,  anything over that is overkill in my opinion unless you have some crazy ideas on the kind of performance you're looking for.

SuperXero89

That's not saying Bethesda doesn't respect its PC users as the series still has heavy mod support and better graphics, but the series' target audience these days appears to be console gamers.

They go where the money is. Consoles continually outsell their PC counterparts. Its not to say the console titles are BETTER, but, just looking at Skyrim, it definitely has a consoley feel in mind moreso than even the previous titles. It looks like it SHOULD be played in 3rd person, with some additional changes to the way combat looks altogether.

This isn't a bad thing at all, and its catering to their largest crowd, theres no real reason to complain for PC modders anyways, anything they do with an eye more towards consoles would likely get modded out if it created that big of a rift between the gameplay styles of PC and console.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

LOL

You'd be wrong too.

Most people will buy a big screen because most people watch TV first and foremost. For less than $2,000 you can buy a huge TV to watch the ballgames, your pron, cable, satellite and movies on. That's why people have those and will spend that money.

Conversely most of those people will not spend $1,500 or $2,000 for a high-end computer which is what we are talking about. You can't go out and get one for less than that, lol.

What "high quality PC" costs $300 and where does the average person go and buy that one from? Does someone have to borrow your time machine to get that deal?

exactly, 

a PS3 is worth a good video card

MOST people use their computers for work or internet browsing (facebook, twitter etc), something a pentium 4 with 128Mb RAM and 64MB video card can do just fine, so they go to best buy and buy the 500-600$ already built computer thats on the shelves. (which has decent specs to do whatever they want) ... now the minority will go and buy the 500-600$ video card (me) and prefer the desktop with 2x23inch wide screen monitors!

on the other hand MOST people will watch more TV and will have 2-3x big screen tvs in their homes, because they use it much more. their computer is the tool, the TV is the entertainment. 

You can get a fairly decent gaming PC in the 4 - 600 dollar range that will play most games,  or build something along the pretty high end for 800 - 1000,  anything over that is overkill in my opinion unless you have some crazy ideas on the kind of performance you're looking for.

I'm curious here.

I can go to Best Buy right now, spend $1,000 on a computer and that would hardly be a "high end" one. In fact, it wouldn't be much better than the $600 one sitting right next to it in most cases so I'm confused.

I still don't understand that statement. Where do you get a 400-600 "high end" computer? In a store online or...?

/still boggled

edit: Besides, I'm sure someone would look at that money for that, look at their current computer and just keep that and spend $1,000 on a 50 inch television and use their Xbox360.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I can go to Best Buy right now, spend $1,000 on a computer and that would hardly be a "high end" one. In fact, it wouldn't be much better than the $600 one sitting right next to it in most cases so I'm confused.

I still don't understand that statement. Where do you get a 400-600 "high end" computer? In a store online or...?

I highlighted why you don't understand.  You DON'T buy the PC from Best Buy.  There are MULTIPLE gaming companies offering high powered computers for half the price of what you would find at Best Buy.  I'm premier silver there (have been for a while).. I STILL won't buy a computer there.

Give me a few and I'll link a few examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229221&cm_re=cyberpowerpc-_-83-229-221-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=q6lqwkr19h84

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_X58_Core_i7_Configurator

Etc.  These are PRE-BUILT.  If you're willing to build your own you can shave off an extra 200-300 or so.  (especially if you do some of the multiple item deals like Ebay where you can pair up motherboard, cpu, ram for extra discounts)

Editted further:  You CAN get lower for a decent mid-range system.  Tom's hardware had one that was tiered.  I'm attaching the link as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-build-a-pc-overclock,2739.html

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I'm curious here.

/still boggled

edit: Besides, I'm sure someone would look at that money for that, look at their current computer and just keep that and spend $1,000 on a 50 inch television and use their Xbox360.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736%20600030537&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

Notice some of these aren't really top of the line,  but to play most PC games on the market currently, you could do worse.  Building your own of course gets you better price to performance,  but still,  we're talking about playing most games here.

When you go to best buy you're paying for an entire store, not just a warehouse with items boxed for shipping.

Its all relative.  I own all the consoles and a great gaming PC,  I still play games specifically on consoles and some only on PC. 

Right now I'm playing Dungeon Defenders on my PC instead of the console,  mainly because the idea was that you could mod the game.   (it was also about 3 dollars cheaper).  However,  I have more friends on Xbox live,  so its a toss up, and mods and cost won out.   

Most people aready have a TV, and most people already have a PC,  between the two, people into games are more likely to go out and buy a console for their TV then a video card for their PC. (much easier in most peoples eyes to install a console to a tv then a video card).   That being said though, it isn't NECESSARY to buy a PC for skyrim,  but there is a major added benefit to those with gaming PCs to get it on the PC instead of the console.

Originally posted by Ikeda

I highlighted why you don't understand.  You DON'T buy the PC from Best Buy.  There are MULTIPLE gaming companies offering high powered computers for half the price of what you would find at Best Buy.  I'm premier silver there (have been for a while).. I STILL won't buy a computer there.

Now you don't understand, lol. Apples and oranges.

I know why I wouldn't go to Best Buy. I have a Cyberpower rig. I'm straight. I play lots of games and it was worth the money and cheap (compared to what I earn).

What you're not looking at is we are talking about "MOST PEOPLE". Please read back a bit. MOST PEOPLE who will try Skyrim won't need a "high end computer" as the other guy talks about because MOST PEOPLE don't mod, or download content or design areas. They just play the game then resell it or put it on the shelf or rent it. That's it.

So for THOSE people they will not go to Best Buy and buy a computer to play it on. They'll save that grand and buy a BIG screen television and play Skyrim on their Xbox.

What 'mulitiple gaming companies' do you know that will sell a "high end computer" as that dude said earlier for $250-300??? You know, there's nothing wrong with linking them.

Advertising is allowed :)

Here  will concede.  If you buy a computer UNDER 400.  Yea.... it's just not worth it.  Platform is definately better.  For something like Skyrim, the pc mod community will make or break that game.  My arguement was more of the "It's POSSIBLE to get good/decent gaming" for less than a new TV.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

LOL

You'd be wrong too.

I'm pretty much set.  8 gigs ram.  9850 quad core.  5770 O/C'd ATI.  Dunno if I'll be able to do Ultra at 1080P, though.  I have little doubt it'll still look better than the consoles.

All this stuff is about 2-3 years old.  About 5-600 bucks in parts.  I'll probably need another vid card in a couple years if I want to keep running games at max settings.  Another 200-ish bucks.

PS3 and XB360 both are looking pretty dated already, IMO.

From one standpoint, consoles ARE cheaper, even given my example.  But given that you'll probably at some point feel the need to buy BOTH since they each have great games that are exclusive, the savings evaporates.

Meanwhile, I have a fast machine for internet.  And music/video studio/editing.  And anything else I think of doing with it.

It ultimately depends on a person's needs, as to which is the way to go.  If you don't use a computer much for anything other than email, consoles might be the way.  But if you do alot on a pc, you may as well spend maybe 20-30% more and get/build one that's ready for games.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Meanwhile, I have a fast machine for internet.  And music/video studio/editing.  And anything else I think of doing with it.   Adult related endevours, etc.

Fixed,  we were all thinking it ;-)

Originally posted by Ikeda
    Here  will concede.  If you buy a computer UNDER 400.  Yea.... it's just not worth it.  Platform is definately better.  For something like Skyrim, the pc mod community will make or break that game.  My arguement was more of the "It's POSSIBLE to get good/decent gaming" for less than a new TV.

IF you can build a computer and most people (again, most) don't know how or want to know how. That's us on these forums. It's a FAR better deal to get the Big screen television package than to get a "high end computer" (not a decent, okay or great one; high end as he said).

I submit as proof: LG 50-inch 50PT350 720p Plasma HDTV (50PT350) $599.00

Microsoft - Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect- $399.99

Procure a Skyrim Pre-Order for Only $47.99

Total: 1,046.98. You can't really beat that unless you build your own computer and have all the tools already to do it, and not many know or want to do that.

That said, Skyrim will be awesome enough on it's own by other platforms that it will sell well regardless whether someone makes a mod for it or not.

Notice some of these aren't really top of the line,  but to play most PC games on the market currently, you could do worse.  Building your own of course gets you better price to performance,  but still,  we're talking about playing most games here.

Thanks weasel.

But that just proves my point about not being able to get a "high end computer" for the price of a PS3 or even $400. It's not that you can't get a good computer, you can. We were talking about high end.

And again, most people buying Skyrim won't be able to build their own. Heck, I doubt half the people even posting on these forums can build their own reliably and working properly. It's possible with the parts but they'd forget ONE small step somewhere and won't know what to do with a pile of crap on their table for $500.

That's why I was saying for 1,000.. most people will skip that nonsense, buy a big screen, a Xbox and Skyrim brand new. They still get to use their regular old "house" computer but now they have all new stuff and a great plasma to watch anything they want.

Those people won't care about mods. It'll take them at least six months to finish Skyrim once or longer, just like Elder scrolls 1 and 2.

• c4_Garudac4_Garuda Member Posts: 77

Uhhh, I got Core2Duo on 2.7Ghz and HD 6770, thats somewhere in rank of gtx260 I think, 4 GB ram..you think it will be fine? I just want 1680*1050 / medium settings / and just maybe if I can squeeze in AA x2?

"To be a rock and not to roll..."

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

i am not saying that you are wrong but why would someone want to buy a 50 inch tv with only 720p??

Also it really shouldnt be hard at all to get a pc for 400$ or even less if 720p is all you want. For the money of your example you can even get a laptop capable of playing the game in 720p

Originally posted by Doomedfox
    i am not saying that you are wrong but why would someone want to buy a 50 inch tv with only 720p??

Because the average person doesn't know the difference? Because they can't afford a higher end model? Because it's the last one and they want one 'right now'? Salesman talked them into it? Could be lots of reasons.

I would suggest going to Walmart sometimes and watching the people there buying electronics and the questions they ask and the answers they get. It's really pretty funny esp people buying things for their "granddaughter and grandson". It's like a crime is being committed by two willing parties.

Besides, why do people buy Acer laptops? Same reason as above.

Again, people on sites tend to assume the average person is as savvy as they are or knows just as much about computing as they do or even game the same way they do.

No offense, but most of the people on sites who post are freaks. We know too much about everything technical or in many cases, think we do. :)

The guy who's in a trailer park doesn't know what 720p is or cares. They just know "Hey Billie Bob.. wanna come over and watch the tractor pull and some Nascar on ma' new plasmer televersion? We can play some Skyrim after'n we're done on ma' new BoxX 360. I used some of ma' hurricane money on it."

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Total: 1,046.98. You can't really beat that unless you build your own computer and have all the tools already to do it, and not many know or want to do that.

That said, Skyrim will be awesome enough on it's own by other platforms that it will sell well regardless whether someone makes a mod for it or not.

Hmmm... over $1,000 for 1024 x 768 equivalent graphics.

The other thing to consider is that, while a 50" screen sounds huge, at normal viewing distance, it still scales to be smaller than your average 17-19" monitor, considering viewing distance.

The other night I was tapping away on my laptop with a 16" widescreen display, and I noticed that it really wasn't much smaller in viewing size/distance than my 58" TV, some 8-10 feet away.

So, compared to my 27" 1080P monitor($270 at Sam's Club)...

Again, I'll say that a console ultimately tends to be cheaper, I'll still concede that.  But ultimately you still get an inferior product.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Hmmm... over $1,000 for 1024 x 768 equivalent graphics.
    The other thing to consider is that, while a 50" screen sounds huge, at normal viewing distance, it still scales to be smaller than your average 17-19" monitor, considering viewing distance.
    The other night I was tapping away on my laptop with a 16" widescreen display, and I noticed that it really wasn't much smaller in viewing size/distance than my 58" TV, some 8-10 feet away.
    So, compared to my 27" 1080P monitor($270 at Sam's Club)...
    Again, I'll say that a console ultimately tends to be cheaper, I'll still concede that.  But ultimately you still get an inferior product.

True, we are really discussing quality (at least I wasn't). I'm talking about best bang for the buck for the average person walking through Walmart or in America, especially in a bad economy like ours.

If they have $1,000 to spend most people are going to look at it like this:

"$1,000= one new 50 inch plasma tv, one new Xbox 360, one new Skyrim video game"

or

"$1,000= one "high end" computer one Skyrim video game."

or "$1,000= one "decent" computer, one Skyrim video game and one 27 inch monitor from Sam's Club."

Not much of a choice when it's presented that way really. It's a Walmart economy for most people nowadays. For gamers like us on forums, it's a different story.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Because the average person doesn't know the difference? Because they can't afford a higher end model? Because it's the last one and they want one 'right now'? Salesman talked them into it? Could be lots of reasons.

I would suggest going to Walmart sometimes and watching the people there buying electronics and the questions they ask and the answers they get. It's really pretty funny esp people buying things for their "granddaughter and grandson". It's like a crime is being committed by two willing parties.

Again, people on sites tend to assume the average person is as savvy as they are or knows just as much about computing as they do or even game the same way they do.

No offense, but most of the people on sites who post are freaks. We know too much about everything technical or in many cases, think we do. :)

The guy who's in a trailer park doesn't know what 720p is or cares. They just know "Hey Billie Bob.. wanna come over and watch the tractor pull and some Nascar on ma' new plasmer televersion? We can play some Skyrim after'n we're done on ma' new BoxX 360. I used some of ma' hurricane money on it."

That's funny, only because it's so true.

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Billy Bob and his crooked friends are what's holding back PC games from evolving! I used to play my ps3 and xbox360 all the time.. Once I got a nice PC and mon (and or ran it to my tv) I never really went back. You can't even compare them imo  to a higher end pc rig. I don't have money issues.. some people do and that's life. I will enjoy the things I do for a price and I’m okay with that. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft release a new console soon with actual high quality tech so we can get better PC games as well lol.. As long as everyone’s making $$ we will see improvements, we are only as strong as our weakest link.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by alakram

Yay! my rig will eat all of it easy even with some fried potatoes.

If it's that powerful, it might get hot enough to fry potatoes  *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Robgmur

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Billy Bob and his crooked friends are what's holding back PC games from evolving! I used to play my ps3 and xbox360 all the time.. Once I got a nice PC and mon (and or ran it to my tv) I never really went back. You can't even compare them imo  to a higher end pc rig. I don't have money issues.. some people do and that's life. I will enjoy the things I do for a price and I’m okay with that. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft release a new console soon with actual high quality tech so we can get better PC games as well lol.. As long as everyone’s making $$ we will see improvements, we are only as strong as our weakest link.

The console playing crowd aren't holding back PC games, even people like Billy Bob. They don't play them they only play the games when they come out on console. They don't have any control over that. If they don't own a good computer than can run games like Skyrim or Crysis, then they don't buy them.

In fact, the console people help to advance their chosen form of gaming immensely by continuing to buy or rent those and look at what we have today: games like Battlefield 3.

I think you're blaming the wrong people. Nothing wrong with the majority of Americans or worldwide gamers wanting to play consoles. You have to realize it's not them that because as you said, you can afford a good computer now but everyone can't.

It's like blaming apartment renters for the sorry state the real estate housing market is in. "If only those crooked apartment renters would save up their money and buy houses, then the housing economy would improve."

People go with what they can afford but most people who can afford to drop $1,000- $4,000 for high end computers that primarily just play games have a disconnect there.

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

I agree with what you are saying, it was a stab at humor. Hopefully they do release new consoles soon so that PC gaming can evolve/ force to evolve quicker so people who have higher end set-ups can push their systems and really get their $$$ out of it. You see the real Money comes from console gamers (they tend to outnumber the sales of PC games 3 to 1) so game companies primarily design the games targeted towards them because of the promising $$ income. So they won't completely rework the game/ engine it for PC's.. it wouldn't be cost effective to them. So the PC gamers’ get the , and I quote "stupid console port" which hey I don't really mind at all. I'm just curious what I could be playing if none of this was the case? What if they designed big high end game titles just for the PCs / extreme engines and graphics.. and of course following steadily behind the PC behemoths the consoles would dramatically improve their performance which they could do easily.. but hey "if isn’t broke don't fix it". We are in an age where graphically speaking, the PCs are following the consoles lead.. Because that's where the money is.. And I don't blame them.

Would be a novel idea if Sony and Microsoft’s new consoles had upgradeable components for small costs

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

Originally posted by Robgmur
    I agree with what you are saying, it was a stab at humor. Hopefully they do release new consoles soon so that PC gaming can evolve/ force to evolve quicker so people who have higher end set-ups can push their systems and really get their $$$ out of it. You see the real Money comes from console gamers (they tend to outnumber the sales of PC games 3 to 1) so game companies primarily design the games targeted towards them because of the promising $$ income. So they won't completely rework the game/ engine it for PC's.. it wouldn't be cost effective to them. So the PC gamers’ get the , and I quote "stupid console port" which hey I don't really mind at all. I'm just curious what I could be playing if none of this was the case? What if they designed big high end game titles just for the PCs / extreme engines and graphics.. and of course following steadily behind the PC behemoths the consoles would dramatically improve their performance which they could do easily.. but hey "if isn’t broke don't fix it". We are in an age where graphically speaking, the PCs are following the consoles lead.. Because that's where the money is.. And I don't blame them.

Would be a novel idea if Sony and Microsoft’s new consoles had upgradeable components for small costs

Good post. And you have a point about PC games following console leads.

Usually the consoles cost less to put together I believe, and use less staffing. They don't require as many "moving parts" as you will, like ongoing balancing changes to classes, environment changes, gear itemization, etc. Consoles used to be a "one and done" project.

But nowadays you have the DLC content for them which in a way puts them right up against a mmo in many respects. Look at Arkham City. That game just came out and they already announced DLC for Nightwing at $7. That's not a bad deal and it was pushed out extremely fast in the same quality. You will see more consoles doing this in the future which mmos can't match.

This gives an idea somewhat using EA as an example:

The company is expecting its next fiscal quarter -- which includes high profile releases Battlefield 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic -- to see adjusted revenues of $1.55 to $1.65 billion.

BF3 will be able to pump out DLC probably pretty easy for consoles that the average person USED to only get on a PC version by some nerd making a mod in his basement. Now the genre is opening up and you can just buy equivalent content just with a click.

I know Skyrim will be able to do the exact same thing with it's DLC when they start cranking that out, so it's getting to the point where there really isn't an advantage to playing it on a PC or not, which is a good thing.